Code of Conduct

Default You Smell like an older gentleman (Cuir de Russie)

Last week I wore for the first time my decant of my new love, Chanel Cuir de Russie EDT (current Les Exclusifs formulation).

As I knew that it wears soft on the skin I got heavy on the sprayer, 9 times.
    My girlfriend, when I just applied, in the morning, told me that it was good but smells like an old man.
    My mother in law said the same thing in the car, that I was smelling like an older, very very old, gentleman.
    I was wearing the fragrance for about 13 hours at that time and I was at least 2 meters from her. So this one, if applied liberally, can last and projects pretty well.

The case is, they said that I smell "old". I agree, Cuir de Russie smells really classic and nothing modern.
    But both said that I smell like a gentleman, or an old man. Nothing feminine.
    What do you think?
    I think that it smells gorgeous, fantastic, I love the smell and I can put it easily in my top10 favorite fragrances of all time but, for me, it smells less unisex and more feminine, but I dont care and even prefer it that way.

Resuming: People around you perceive Cuir de Russie more masculine than the person that is wearing it?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: You Smell like an older gentleman (Cuir de Russie)

I've no idea how others perceive it.
    I think it smells divine and that's all that matters !

Post Thanks / Like

I wear cuir de russie and love it, and I have not been told that I smell like an older gentleman while wearing it! I think the majority of fragrances can be worn by either gender.

I wear Cuir de Russie and have not found it to be anything other than suitable for all sexes.

For the record, if I found a man attractive and he happened to have Cuir de Russie in his fragrance wardrobe, it would enhance his appeal no matter what his age.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Truly unisex. The wearer defines it. Ergo you make the fragrance gentlemanly. It smells mature because it is classic

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Old men smell terrific in Brazil! We don't have such old men in italy...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Chanel Cuir de Russie is a classic. Not easy to find and bound to be unique.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I think so.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You like it, you wear it. Forget about the others. Where are they when it's time to fork over the $$$ at the fragrance counter?

Post Thanks / Like

It just as has been said, gorgeous no matter your gender.
    DONNA

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Cuir de Russie is truly a beautiful scent and transcends gender , age and even others' opinion....... IMHO !
    I will never forget being in the Chanel boutique at Heathrow terminal 3 ,killing time and spraying myself with Cuir de Russie .
    The words that came out of my mouth to the SA. " Aaaah, now that is real perfume. "
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny, I got the same reaction from Antaeus, but this is another story- only mine with worse of a twist, as in "the smell of an old lady".

But getting back on-topic: 1) only what you like terms of frags matters, irrespective of any feedback, 2) I never got this impression from this scent.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I love it too, but it's clearly not for everyone. Some of you may remember this story so pardon my repeating myself, but the last time I wore Cuir de Russie I was told by a 4 yr. old that I smelled like her grandpa's dog!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Oh dont worry friends, of course that I will still wearing and loving Cuir de Russie.
    I wear things based on my own judgments, it was just curious that various people at the same day told me the same thing, which is the contrary of the reality, in my opinion.
    I think its cause the market is floaded with fruity and/or florals and something different, chypre, leatthery, mossy, smells like a mans fragrance for the new trends of the market.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Well, I love it too, but it's clearly not for everyone. Some of you may remember this story so pardon my repeating myself, but the last time I wore Cuir de Russie I was told by a 4 yr. old that I smelled like her grandpa's dog!
    I've been hoping you'd repeat the Satchmo story, E.! When I'm too old to remember my own name, I bet I'll still remember that!

I agree with you, d4N13L, the florals tilt this one toward the feminine to my mind. But I would never find a man wearing it "femme" or "girly". Gentlemen wear florals beautifully, too! If it doesn't smell like a fruity shampoo or body wash these days, I'm afraid many will refer to it as "old man" or the one that really hurts, "old lady"!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    I've been hoping you'd repeat the Satchmo story, E.! When I'm too old to remember my own name, I bet I'll still remember that!
    Lol! I probably won't be forgetting it anytime soon, either!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    That's one cool dog!
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That is seriously good juice and does not smell outdated at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's the leather. I think it is quality stuff. People these days are used to the 'Calvin Klein' effect of the 1980's (how's that for old-fashioned?) So to heck with their plebian taste. It's like trying to feed caviar to a six-year-old kid. They'd rather have a milk-shake.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't worry much about what others have to say regarding my fragrance. I love Bois du Portugal. A fragrance which many consider to be 'oldmanish." The fragrance works for me, I love it, end of story. Others do not purchase it for me so their opinion of it is of minimal concern. I would not wear anything that I believe to be offensive, but if the scent is good and I love it then I will wear it.

- - - Updated - - -

Key word here being Gentleman.

Post Thanks / Like

Wear it. It is so beautiful - & Evangeline, someone must have said this before, but grandpa's dog must have smelled very good!