Code of Conduct

Default Need a replacement for Gucci Envy

Its the end of an era for me. Ive been wearing Envy, solely since its arrival in the late nineties. After searching all over the internet for bottles around the world being sold at ridiculous prices, I realized that this wasn't the solution. This stuff is gone, and no matter how many bottles I can snag online now, I'll eventually run into this situation either way.

I don't like to own multiple fragrances for different moods, events or seasons. I just pick one and I stick with it. I'm what you can call a "manly" man, full of body hair and oozing machismo & I like a scent that reflects this image. Envy was perfect for me, being a very potent scent. Yes, It didn't last long on the skin, but if you get a half a sweat going, it opened back up marvelously.

I have spent the past two day at department stores like Macy's, Nordstrom & Sephora smelling every single fragrance they sell. You could imagine the headache I have right now. I have settled on two that I "like", but still arent in the range of my old Envy. One is Prada Amber Intense. Even if I turn out to like this one, apparently it is a limited production fragrance, so Ill be in the same predicament soon. The other was Kenzo Homme Boisee. This is a very nice scent, and I'll probably buy it anyway. I also liked Terre D'Hermes, but need to try it a few more times.

Do you have any suggestions? I'm losing my mind!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: Need a replacement for Gucci Envy

Floris eau de santal is similar to envy.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    This is the one you want for sure. It is *extremely* similar to Envy (only better, IMO).
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frdric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'dri) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacr (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Priv (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Carven Homme.

Houbigant Fougere Royale is similar. You can get a sample here...

http://www.fragrancevials.com/forovi.html

It's worth a shot.

Blog Entries

Try Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

Carven Homme and the Santal by Floris mentioned.

I have both and also Envy and they are similar.
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Hunt around the internet.
    Floris Santal, ST Dupont Signature and the Australian Larrikin for Men all have strong similarities to Envy.
    Regards,
    Renato

Welcome to Basenotes! Here in Australia Envy for Men is still being sold. Check a few sites here and see how the prices are.
    La vita breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by koala501 View Post
    Welcome to Basenotes! Here in Australia Envy for Men is still being sold. Check a few sites here and see how the prices are.
    Hmmm - when I think of all the big tester bottles of Envy they were selling at Chemist Warehouse for $50 till recently - we could have made some money.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood -- Slightly drier than Envy and with a touch of cinnamon in place of Envy's ginger.
    Carven Homme -- Envy with more vanilla.
    Versace L'Homme (not pour Homme) -- Get past the more citrusy opening and it dries down very similar to Envy.

I also happen to have a more than half full 100ml bottle for sale on my sales thread if you want to go the well one more time ;-).
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Another vote for Floris Santal. FYI, Parfum1 has it for 10% off. It doesn't smell exactly like Envy, but it is very much in the same ballpark, and I agree with drseld that the Floris is better. You won't find a better replacement for your empty bottle of Envy than this one.

Try Costume National Homme. Lasts and projects much more than Envy and has a comparable vibe, although it doesn't smell similar.
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

The two may not seem too close, but Musc Ravageur and Gucci Envy generally accomplish the same thing for me. They both make me feel the same way when I wear them.

Are you sure that you have given up Envy? If not it's still available, i think i bought my last full, NIB box here :
    http://solippy.co.uk/catalog/gucci-e...ml-p-1490.html

If you are like me who prefers the old formulation over the new, the old being the yellowish green coloured Envy, it's available at eBay. Been stocking about 200 ml (6.8 oz) it for me.

Of those you mentioned, would like to encourage you to move to Prada Amber Intense, it's a magnificent scent, if you like it you could try Prada Amber (non-intense-version) if you already didn't.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Carolina Herrera Refreshing Ginger & Angel Schlesser Esprit De Gingembre - not too similar, but both of them have ginger note.
    smells are surer than sights or sounds to make your heartstrings crack.

-Vladimir Nabokov

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post

Agree...I've also found some striking similarities in the Noir Gabardine by LM Parfums and HdP 1828

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Banned

Why not try a different, ginger scent, such as:

Five O'Clock Au Gingembre by Serge Lutens - One in initially treated to a lemony accord. Bergamot, with its bittersweet and peppery facets, commingles with a robust, sweetly floral, Earl Grey tea. This tart and tangy mixture, almost effervescent, is carried on an undercurrent of ginger, which infuses its sweet and lemony facets, to the heart. Here, the warmth and spiciness of cinnamon and a hint of nutmeg shower the lemony opening, lifting a gingerbread accord, reminiscent of speculoos, with their rich sweetness and spiciness. A balsamic and faintly buttery woodiness from cedar carries the seductive accord to the base. Transitioning, the smooth cedar is tempered by a woody and lively pepper flittering about, akin to incense, and honey, which imparts its sweetness with a touch of urine. A resinous amber infuses its vanillic and smoky facets. And, a somewhat dark and slightly musky patchouli diffuses its aromatic earthiness. A dusting of bitter cacao also presents. The interplay of the foregoing leads to a comforting drydown. This unisex fragrance leans to the masculine side, and is light and bright. A festive composition, it has average projection, a 1-foot scent cloud, and average longevity, approximately 8 hours.

&

Thanks for all of the great responses everyone. I'm gonna try the Floris Santal for starters.

While I agree that Carven Homme (at least the opening) smells similar to Envy, it develops a floral tone, which is quite nice, but may not suit your particular brand of machismo. Let me know if you want to try it!

Another one for Carven Homme

Jacomo Aura. Cheapie, similar to Envy, with a ginger note.

If I'm not mistaken there are some similarities between Envy and Eternity. Long time since I tried Envy and so it can just be the "E" letters.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Hmmm - when I think of all the big tester bottles of Envy they were selling at Chemist Warehouse for $50 till recently - we could have made some money.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    I know!!!!!!!!!
    La vita breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Fraghead View Post
    Try Costume National Homme. Lasts and projects much more than Envy and has a comparable vibe, although it doesn't smell similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanT View Post
    The two may not seem too close, but Musc Ravageur and Gucci Envy generally accomplish the same thing for me. They both make me feel the same way when I wear them.
    Come on fellas, "getting a similar feeling" is totally subjective . . . he's asking for something that actually smells similar (much more objective).

I dig old Envy too, what a shame it isn't produced anymore. I haven't tried the Floris, but I have noticed that Jaguar Mark II comes across as a gingerless predecessor to Envy. Of course, that's even harder to find and more expensive so it's not much use. But just in case you come across it...

L'OCCITANE VETYVER is strikingly similar

I just blind bought 100 mls of Floris Santal because I miss gucci envy so damn much.
    I'm nostalgic for the old scent, and I'm even nostalgic for the new one that I'm not nearly finished yet...

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Come on fellas, "getting a similar feeling" is totally subjective . . . he's asking for something that actually smells similar (much more objective).
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonV View Post
    I have settled on two that I "like", but still arent in the range of my old Envy. One is Prada Amber Intense. Even if I turn out to like this one, apparently it is a limited production fragrance, so Ill be in the same predicament soon. The other was Kenzo Homme Boisee. This is a very nice scent, and I'll probably buy it anyway. I also liked Terre D'Hermes, but need to try it a few more times.

Do you have any suggestions? I'm losing my mind!!!!!!!!!!!
    Would you like to be any more condescending MonkeyBars? As the OP is considering Prada Amber Intense and Terre d'Hermes, that smell nothing like Envy, I think it perfectly reasonable to suggest fragrances in the same realm as it. What's wrong with trying to help the guy out with something that he might enjoy with a similar feel rather than a copy-cat smell? Why don't you go back to the top of the page and read the original post and tell me where it says that he wants something that smells the same as Envy. Oh that's right, he doesn't.
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

Thanks for all of your recommendations everyone. I purchased Foris Santal, Prada Amber Intense & Kenzo Woody. The Kenzo & Prada were purchased because I like the way they smell. I don't think they will ever be my "Go-To" cologne. The Floris is quite similar to Envy during the spray and I like it, but not on the drydown. Maybe its just my skin, but I get that cheap artificial smell lingering in my nostrils with most colognes on the drydown. Maybe that why I liked Envy so much. One thing you should know about my foundation for fragrance.......My dad has worn Royal Copenhagen for my entire life. I think that a cologne that punches you in the face is normal, lol.

I feel that all three don't have much lasting power either. I haven't had a great scenario to test it yet either. I put them on in the morning & go straight to work. I'm the Executive Chef at a top restaurant and don't work in an environment that will let my fragrance resonate off of my body properly, lol.

Any suggestions on powerhouses that wont offend & have some decent siliage? Really glad I found this forum. I think I just picked up a new hobby!!! Also, how do locals feel about the NYC fragrance district around 23rd st. I've never been into those stores.....just feel that everything is a knock off. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by EarNoseThroat View Post
    L'OCCITANE VETYVER is strikingly similar
    Agreed. And so is Pal Zileri Sartoriale.

Any suggestions on powerhouses that wont offend & have some decent siliage?
    Glad that you found a new hobby! Welcome to Basenotes.

Have you tried Zino Davidoff?
    Or Halston Z-14.
    Fragrancex.com still carries the vintage formulation of Halston in stock (the tester bottle)
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Any suggestions on powerhouses that wont offend & have some decent siliage? Really glad I found this forum. I think I just picked up a new hobby!!! Also, how do locals feel about the NYC fragrance district around 23rd st. I've never been into those stores.....just feel that everything is a knock off. Thanks again!
    In your opening post in this thread, you said that you liked Terre D'Hermes. And in this one, you say that you want something that is a powerhouse that won't offend & has decent silage. Well, my friend, you just described Terre D'Hermes. And the truly beautiful thing about this one....is it's not ridiculously difficult to find, like every other suggestion made to you in this thread. You can actually walk into a local store and purchase a bottle of this and won't have to worry about being shipped out of date over-priced stuff from God knows where. And this is one that is fairly popular world wide, so you shouldn't have to worry about it being discontinued any time soon either.

http://www.1stperfume.com/gucenvymetsp17.html

OP, why not buy a few bottles of Envy on this site? The 1.7 oz tester is even cheapp.

I have Floris Santal and I like the soft spice accord in the drydown and just wish it could be amped up a notch or two as it is a bit too quiet for its own good.

Go to Sephora and try Eau Sauvage Parfum. Not a copy of Envy by any means, but it would make a great signature fragrance.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Prada's amber pour homme intense is a wonderful amber based male fragrance. I wear it as an evening scent. I have yet to find one lady who did not genuinely like the scent. It is delicious to say the least.

At a dept store & they're pushing allure sport extreme. Any input?

- - - Updated - - -

Today was my lucky day. I went to a few department stores to smell some fragrances. I ended up going to Saks off 5th. They had 1 bottle of Gucci Envy there. I wasnt going to buy it, because I knew I would be in the same situation when the bottle was finished. Plus, it was $70 and I've been spending a lot of money lately on bottles that I'm not too sure about. I decided to see if there was a discount at the register with my Saks card. The cashier rung it up & we were both stunned. It was $25!! Im sure the bottle has been lying around forever, but I dont care....I got it anyway!

- - - Updated - - -

Today was my lucky day. I went to a few department stores to smell some fragrances. I ended up going to Saks off 5th. They had 1 bottle of Gucci Envy there. I wasnt going to buy it, because I knew I would be in the same situation when the bottle was finished. Plus, it was $70 and I've been spending a lot of money lately on bottles that I'm not too sure about. I decided to see if there was a discount at the register with my Saks card. The cashier rung it up & we were both stunned. It was $25!! Im sure the bottle has been lying around forever, but I dont care....I got it anyway!

!!!!!!!!!

Envy!

- - - Updated - - -

Pic or it didn't happen! Oh wait...
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Awesome! Great score man!

Banned

Excellent, enjoy!

In the future when you're looking for a replacement again, I second the suggestion of Antidote. It's a bit less spicy and more floral, but has a similar 'vibe' as Envy. It's also a green juice, too.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Sound Scents

Today was my lucky day. I went to a few department stores to smell some fragrances. I ended up going to Saks off 5th. They had 1 bottle of Gucci Envy there. The cashier rung it up & we were both stunned. It was $25!!

Excellent deal you got there, congrats!
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frdric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'dri) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacr (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Priv (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Five O'Clock au Gingembre +1
    Last edited by tristan1973; 15th August 2012 at 11:38 AM.