Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tom Ford Noir

Default Tom Ford Noir

I got a chance to smell a preview sample at NM today. Not bad, but not what I was expecting at all. Its kind of light and focused on the violet and nutmeg composition in the middle the most. I feel that it fits in closer with the Jardin line that geting release at the same time than with his main mens line. Couldn't get a sample yet but I want to try it on the skin when I can, the SA says its a little weak on longivity and projection from testing they did.

Default Re: Tom Ford Noir

That's a shame. I love the way the bottle looks so I was hoping it would turn out good, but the review so far seem to be quite poor...

Looks like I can upgrade from a 50 to a 55" TV haha
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Looks like I'm buying Hanae Mori HiM instead.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eggy View Post
    Looks like I can upgrade from a 50 to a 55" TV haha
    Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    LOL! Nice options, guys!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Nothing wrong with buying Hanae Mori. Just purchased one a week ago and love this scent. Amazing summer time fragrance. I highly recommend.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    Nothing wrong with buying Hanae Mori. Just purchased one a week ago and love this scent. Amazing summer time fragrance. I highly recommend.
    Yeah - I've been neglecting mine. It was one of my first loves. I'm hoping the new one is just as distinctive.

Did you get the EDT or EDP? I have the EDP, and sometimes I wish I'd gone with the EDT.

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    Did you get HM or HiM?

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Has there been a on-sale date announced for HiM?

Did you get HM or HiM?
    I think he's talking about HM. As far as I know, HiM has yet to be released.

I kind of wish Hanae Mori was a bit more creative with the naming of the new fragrance....
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Thanks for the TF info.....Gary

I like TF but for me it was just too weak. HIM just doesn't impress me I was expecting so much waiting ten years I can't wait to hear others thoughts on HIM

Tested this, was not impressed, did not get any opponax or civet. Its a herbal fragrance but very light, which defeats the purpose. Sorry Tom, this one is a NO from me.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy View Post
    I think he's talking about HM. As far as I know, HiM has yet to be released.

I kind of wish Hanae Mori was a bit more creative with the naming of the new fragrance....
    I already have HM and love it. HiM is on sale on Hanae Mori's website now, both EDT and EDP. You're welcome

http://www.hanaemoriparfums.com/hana...-mori-him.html

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I got to try TF Noir last week and was not impressed either.

- - - Updated - - -

I already have HM and love it. HiM is on sale on Hanae Mori's website now, both EDT and EDP. You're welcome

http://www.hanaemoriparfums.com/hana...-mori-him.html
    Looks like its going to be Hanae Mori 1 HiMillion.....

I love it!
    Looking to swap…look for my thread on the trade page. May be interested in buying Amouage. Having fun with shower gels. If you want to get rid of yours or swap for frags, give me a shout!

So do I. Noir has something of TF Extreme and Dior Homme Intense and a good projection. On me it lasts 12 hours or more. Perfect for cooler days. Might become a winner.

If it resembles Tom Ford Extreme in some way, I'll definitely be interested. I loved that smell but it was so weak and fleeting on my skin that I just could not justify the price they were asking for. This is at least £30 cheaper for an EDP. Now to try and find a sample before my workplace gets stock on the last week on September...

Quote Originally Posted by fly777 View Post
    So do I. Noir has something of TF Extreme and Dior Homme Intense and a good projection. On me it lasts 12 hours or more. Perfect for cooler days. Might become a winner.
    Looking forward to trying this even more now!
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cosgrove View Post
    Now to try and find a sample before my workplace gets stock on the last week on September...
    Ooh, so it's being released the first week of October I take it? I knew it was October, but is there an actual date?

I sampled this and I liked this.....probably won't purchase!!!
    Gary

Little hint: If you just happen to be at a reputable Tom Ford stand (i.e. one that stocks the Private Blends), ask in a completely unsuspecting way about the release date of Tom Ford Noir, and you may just get a spray. I just went to test something and thought I'd ask about the release date, and got a spray on a card. It smells...dirty. May have to look into this further when it's actually released, but it doesn't look promising.

Little hint: If you just happen to be at a reputable Tom Ford stand (i.e. one that stocks the Private Blends), ask in a completely unsuspecting way about the release date of Tom Ford Noir, and you may just get a spray. I just went to test something and thought I'd ask about the release date, and got a spray on a card. It smells...dirty. May have to look into this further when it's actually released, but it doesn't look promising.
    They just had a sample bottle sitting around at my local Nords in Denver. Also, the longevity on me is pretty damn good.
    Looking to swap…look for my thread on the trade page. May be interested in buying Amouage. Having fun with shower gels. If you want to get rid of yours or swap for frags, give me a shout!

Bloomingdales has had it on counters for a week already FYI

I dont like the TF policie!
    Over priced fragrances and stupid SA.
    I've Black Orchid but I think it just ir for me.

Sadly we've got neither Bloomingdale's nor Nordstrom in the UK. I got a taster at Selfridges and I'm really on the fence about it.

Sadly we've got neither Bloomingdale's nor Nordstrom in the UK. I got a taster at Selfridges and I'm really on the fence about it.
    Does it remind you of anything in particular?

Smelled like a light version of CREED Bois du Portugal to me.
    So a skip.

I don't understand all the complaints about Noir, for me it is well balanced and beautifully crafted. It is green, patchouli based fragrance mixed with violets. Extremely masculine, though stays close to skin. It reminds me of less sweet and greener version of Dolce & Gabbana The One Gentleman, and on the paper I do get some Tuscan Leather nuances.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide View Post
    Does it remind you of anything in particular?
    I can barely recall it from the bit of paper I was left with, but people have been comparing it to Shalimar...

Apparently Boots have it in stock now, I might give them a ring tomorrow.

I can barely recall it from the bit of paper I was left with, but people have been comparing it to Shalimar...

Apparently Boots have it in stock now, I might give them a ring tomorrow.
    It wasn't too far from Dior's Patchouli Imperial to my nose.
    Splits!

Tom Ford - Patchouli Absolu --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...tchouli-Absolu

They had tester bottles in Dublin's Brown Thomas store today, so I tried it! It's *extremely* similar to Guerlain's Habit Rouge to my nose. I can't believe more people haven't picked up on this too. It's perhaps a little lighter and fresher, but still shockingly similar. Very nicely done all the same. The SA gave me 3 sample cards, so I'll try it out properly over the next few days.

Haven't seen this one around the mall yet, but Tom Ford says this is supposed to be his most personal fragrance...the civet in this kinda has me a little suspicious but we'll see

I sampled this fragrance, as others have mentioned its very Guerlainesque, albeit a waterdowned Guerlain. Parts of it reminded me of Shalimar in the drydown, I can see the Habit Rouge, Riverwide mentions. This tries to be a powerhouse fragrance but lacks deft.
    As a scent it is nice but it needs way more civet( I did not detect any),amber and patchouli. It has the potential to be an excellent fragrance but is only half way there. If they release an intense version with my suggestions, I feel it would be well done.

Yeah, I think it's basically a modernized version of Habit Rouge. It's very close to an EDT version of Habit Rouge L'Extrait.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

TF NOIR is a very contemplative fragrance. It is resonant, mossy, with deep woods and soft green notes. Reminds me of the base notes of TF Extreme or Mosses Breches. This is going to be a big hit. There are no huge dominant outwardly expanding overpowering notes and many inward resonating notes such as: baie rose, violet flower, black pepper, nutmeg, iris, opoponax, amber, patchouli, vetiver, civet and vanilla. Nice green notes that add a mossy attitude from caraway, vetiver and verbena.

If you hang out around the TF counters they are handing out miniature bottle samples of Noir in advance of its release next week. Sometimes you have to ask but they are very easy to get especially from the Nieman Marcus SA's.

I've been wearing this all day from a sample and I really love it. It's like what I always wished Habit Rouge was. It's similar, but less stuffy and old-fashioned. It somehow manages to be both fresh and warm at the same time. No big sillage as far as I know, but it lasts for a long time and improves throughout its life. I keep sniffing my arm. I'll definitely be buying a bottle of this stuff.

I've been wearing this all day from a sample and I really love it. It's like what I always wished Habit Rouge was. It's similar, but less stuffy and old-fashioned. It somehow manages to be both fresh and warm at the same time. No big sillage as far as I know, but it lasts for a long time and improves throughout its life. I keep sniffing my arm. I'll definitely be buying a bottle of this stuff.
    Yeah, I got another tester card of it today and I'm really enjoying it. I'll have to try it on my skin once it's released (it's hopefully coming into stock where I work by the end of the month), but I do think this could well be my next purchase/Christmas gift.

It reminds me quite a bit of Burberry Brit for men also.

The London department stores have testers in too.

It reminds me quite a bit of Burberry Brit for men also.
    Hmm... Didn't get any resemblance.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    Hmm... Didn't get any resemblance.
    It only occurred to me after a few hours into the drydown. Probably just me!

Just tested this in store. Very good! It is reminiscent of HR off the bat, with its 'sweet dust'. Then the patch takes it in a different direction. I nearly bought it BUT on the sticker at the display it mentions a limited edition extreme version. The SA said they would be getting it in a few weeks. I shall return!

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Just tested this in store. Very good! It is reminiscent of HR off the bat, with its 'sweet dust'. Then the patch takes it in a different direction. I nearly bought it BUT on the sticker at the display it mentions a limited edition extreme version. The SA said they would be getting it in a few weeks. I shall return!
    Extreme, eh? As long as it's not £85 for 50ml, that might be worth a look.

As far as I know it isn't actually on sale yet?

In that case someone forgot to tell John Lewis in Bristol : D

Deleted: blame buggy basenotes.

P.S: actually it reminds me more of Rochas Lui (but lighter) now I am into far drydown territory. Not sure I need an 'Extreme' version but will wait and test it anyway.
    Last edited by Marais; 22nd September 2012 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Davem81 View Post
    It is. I received my 100ml bottle from Boots via courier this morning. Very nice too.

- - - Updated - - -

It is. I received my 100ml bottle from Boots via courier this morning. Very nice too.
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

This reminds me of a medicinal talcum powder or a sweeter version of Gold Bond Body Powder .
    “love lasts a long time, but burning desire, two or three weeks.”

Quote Originally Posted by Fraghead View Post
    That's really strange - Harrods, Harvey Nichols & Selfridges all told me in person a date around the 2nd October! There's no sign of it on Harrods, John Lewis or Debenhams websites, although I see it IS listed as available on boots.com. Maybe Boots have jumped the gun?! Lol. Congrats btw, whatever the case!

That's really strange - Harrods, Harvey Nichols & Selfridges all told me in person a date around the 2nd October! There's no sign of it on Harrods, John Lewis or Debenhams websites, although I see it IS listed as available on boots.com. Maybe Boots have jumped the gun?! Lol. Congrats btw, whatever the case!
    Thanks man. I strongly recommend jumping on this one. I'm really enjoying it. I was surprised to see Boots listing it so soon; I'm going to start checking their website more often for early releases!

Just ordered 50ml from Boots. It's worth noting that you can get a fiver off the total amount (enter code MOB45 at checkout) and triple points too which pleased the missus!
    Looking forward to this...

Sniffed this at Neiman's today. I'd be a lot more excited about it if I wasn't already familiar with Tom Ford Extreme and Habit Rouge EDP. It smells roughly like a child of those two...both in smell and in temperament. TF took a lot more risk releasing Extreme, and it is a more interesting and better scent, but not for everyone. This tones down that funky note in Extreme (truffle liquor, sort of), sweetens it up with some extra powdery-sweet patchouli character, and as a result, it will probably be a big hit for Tom Ford. And it does smell quite good. I just wish it had a little more oomph to it. I won't be buying, but I think it's a good release.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 23rd September 2012 at 12:27 AM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I bought a 50ml bottle today in Dublin's Brown Thomas store. Really pleased with it!

Better choice IMO.

Blog Entries

WHOA! *ears perk up*

That sounds very interesting. Hope it hits the States.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    WHOA! *ears perk up*

That sounds very interesting. Hope it hits the States.
    It's here, I bought a bottle today at Neimans. It's good, lots of Patchouli. To my nose, it's not too far off from Dior's Patchouli Imperial. That said, it is on the weaker side, decent longevity but not much projection. Seems to be mostly a skin scent.
    Splits!

Tom Ford - Patchouli Absolu --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...tchouli-Absolu

Quote Originally Posted by fitch256 View Post
    It's here, I bought a bottle today at Neimans. It's good, lots of Patchouli. To my nose, it's not too far off from Dior's Patchouli Imperial. That said, it is on the weaker side, decent longevity but not much projection. Seems to be mostly a skin scent.
    They are referring to the rumoured extreme version.
    Last edited by Fraghead; 23rd September 2012 at 08:43 AM.

Blog Entries

You do know they are referring to the rumoured extreme version?
    Yes, I was. Although I have to say, I haven't even sniffed the regular version, so I'm withholding judgment on that until I do.

I tend to prefer EdP over EdT in most cases, so I can pretty much guess I would jump for the extreme. I will be keeping my eyes open for that. Tom Ford Extreme is what pulled me into being a house fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Yes, I was. Although I have to say, I haven't even sniffed the regular version, so I'm withholding judgment on that until I do.

I tend to prefer EdP over EdT in most cases, so I can pretty much guess I would jump for the extreme. I will be keeping my eyes open for that. Tom Ford Extreme is what pulled me into being a house fan.
    The regular Noir is an EDP. I'll be interested to see how they make it 'intense'. Pure Parfum perhaps?

Blog Entries

The regular Noir is an EDP. I'll be interested to see how they make it 'intense'. Pure Parfum perhaps?
    It is? WHOA. OK - I can believe the low projection. The poor longevity seems a mystery. But yeah - the Intense would be an interesting proposition. Pure parfum is always welcome here!