Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tom Ford Noir

Default Re: Tom Ford Noir

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    It is? WHOA. OK - I can believe the low projection. The poor longevity seems a mystery. But yeah - the Intense would be an interesting proposition. Pure parfum is always welcome here!
    I think it lasts and projects well. I loved what TF did with For Men when they turned that Extreme. I'd be very interested to see what happens with this release scent-wise in an intense version.
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Sniffed this at Neiman's today. I'd be a lot more excited about it if I wasn't already familiar with Tom Ford Extreme and Habit Rouge EDP. It smells roughly like a child of those two...both in smell and in temperament. TF took a lot more risk releasing Extreme, and it is a more interesting and better scent, but not for everyone. This tones down that funky note in Extreme (truffle liquor, sort of), sweetens it up with some extra powdery-sweet patchouli character, and as a result, it will probably be a big hit for Tom Ford. And it does smell quite good. I just wish it had a little more oomph to it. I won't be buying, but I think it's a good release.
    This is a good characterization of Noir. I definitely smell the Habit Rouge reference here, but didn't first time. At first application I smell the mossy, trufle scent that is noticeable in Extreme but it also reminds me of Black Orchid slightly because of the sweet almost minty florals that waft in and out. As it wears on the sweetness of a Habit Rouge type vanilla? opoponox maybe? wears to the front. I think it will be a good fragrance for some, and will probably sell well through the Tom Ford marketing machine, I am not drawn to buy a bottle of this one because of the sweetness in it. Vanilla notes smell attractive, but are not my favorite
    to wear.

all i get out of this is La Nuit L'Homme
    "Stings the nostrils, in a good way. Im going to be honest with you, that smells like pure gasoline."

Current Top 5:
    5.) Santa Maria Novella Muschio
    4.) Dior Homme Intense ( Vintage )
    3.) Dior La Collection Privee Ambre Nuit
    2.) Creed Aventus
    1.) Xerjoff Ibitira

Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
    Then you must have been smelling La Nuit de L'Homme
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

It's absolutely nothing like La Nuit de l'Homme.

I see absolutely zero resemblance to LNdL.
    Splits!

Tom Ford - Patchouli Absolu & Byredo - Mojave Ghost --------> [url]http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370214-Byredo-Mojave-Ghost-amp-Tom-Ford-Patchouli-Absolu/url]

I retract my statement. I tried my sample again and while i still classify it in a similar category they are two different scents. Could have just been the cloud I was in. My was with my buddy when I sprayed it on and he was doused in Sexual By MG.
    "Stings the nostrils, in a good way. Im going to be honest with you, that smells like pure gasoline."

Current Top 5:
    5.) Santa Maria Novella Muschio
    4.) Dior Homme Intense ( Vintage )
    3.) Dior La Collection Privee Ambre Nuit
    2.) Creed Aventus
    1.) Xerjoff Ibitira

This stuff is goss. I got a sample from sephora by accident and swear it was a woman's fragrance

Quote Originally Posted by Erok32 View Post
    This stuff is goss. I got a sample from sephora by accident and swear it was a woman's fragrance
    I'd still wear it even if it was a woman's fragrance!

Come to think of it Erok, you didn't get a sample of Noir de Noir did you? Also by Tom Ford. I can see how some men might find it too feminine (not this one though, almost through my 100ml bottle!)
    Last edited by Fraghead; 24th September 2012 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraghead View Post
    Thanks man. I strongly recommend jumping on this one. I'm really enjoying it. I was surprised to see Boots listing it so soon; I'm going to start checking their website more often for early releases!
    Ordered!

It's neither feminine nor masculine. Perfectly unisex in my opinion.

I also find that it projects quite well. My sister has commented on it twice since I started wearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraghead View Post
    I'd still wear it even if it was a woman's fragrance!

Come to this of it Erok, you didn't get a sample of Noir de Noir did you? Also by Tom Ford. I can see how some men might find it too feminine (not this one though, almost through my 100ml bottle!)
    I do not get any tinge of femininity in this whatsoever. This had to have been confused with Noir de Noir, I do not see how anyone could find this feminine. It would even be a stretch to call this unisex. It's not the "MAN!" kind of fragrance that a Polo or Drakkar Noir is, but this certainly is masculine.
    Splits!

Tom Ford - Patchouli Absolu & Byredo - Mojave Ghost --------> [url]http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370214-Byredo-Mojave-Ghost-amp-Tom-Ford-Patchouli-Absolu/url]

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Sniffed this at Neiman's today. I'd be a lot more excited about it if I wasn't already familiar with Tom Ford Extreme and Habit Rouge EDP. It smells roughly like a child of those two...both in smell and in temperament. TF took a lot more risk releasing Extreme, and it is a more interesting and better scent, but not for everyone. This tones down that funky note in Extreme (truffle liquor, sort of), sweetens it up with some extra powdery-sweet patchouli character, and as a result, it will probably be a big hit for Tom Ford. And it does smell quite good. I just wish it had a little more oomph to it. I won't be buying, but I think it's a good release.
    Interesting, since IMO, he sort of copied Guerlain's Vetiver with his Grey Vetiver and now this is his take on Habit Rouge?

I love HR, but I doubt that I need a Tom-Ford-version of this.

Where, in the US, are you guys smelling this? I was at the mall yesterday and I couldn't find it at Sephora or Nordstroms. The SA at Nordstrom's told me I was the 5th customer, that day, that came in asking about it.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by fitch256 View Post
    I do not get any tinge of femininity in this whatsoever. This had to have been confused with Noir de Noir, I do not see how anyone could find this feminine. It would even be a stretch to call this unisex. It's not the "MAN!" kind of fragrance that a Polo or Drakkar Noir is, but this certainly is masculine.
    My point exactly.

Lol you must be smokin crack or something. I didnt know it was labeled as a feminine perfume but at first sniff I thought "middle aged woman" , and can only imagine being either laughed at or looked at very strangely if I wore this.

Lol you must be smokin crack or something. I didnt know it was labeled as a feminine perfume but at first sniff I thought "middle aged woman" , and can only imagine being either laughed at or looked at very strangely if I wore this.
    Maybe we're smelling two different things, you sure you're not talking about noir de noir? I cannot fathom any interpretation of noir as old or middle aged woman perfume. There's civet in it! If that's not a masculine note, what is?
    Splits!

Maybe we're smelling two different things, you sure you're not talking about noir de noir? I cannot fathom any interpretation of noir as old or middle aged woman perfume. There's civet in it! If that's not a masculine note, what is?
    Lol im not sure why but I thought we were talking about black orchid. Oops! :/
    Apparently im the one smokin crack.

Lol im not sure why but I thought we were talking about black orchid. Oops! :/
    Apparently im the one smokin crack.
    Ahhhhh, now your comments make sense, especially since Black Orchid is technically women's perfume :P.
    Splits!

Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????????

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Interesting, since IMO, he sort of copied Guerlain's Vetiver with his Grey Vetiver and now this is his take on Habit Rouge?

I love HR, but I doubt that I need a Tom-Ford-version of this.

Where, in the US, are you guys smelling this? I was at the mall yesterday and I couldn't find it at Sephora or Nordstroms. The SA at Nordstrom's told me I was the 5th customer, that day, that came in asking about it.
    Whoah - wait a minute! A Tom Ford version of HR? Ok - now I need to try this ... (suspiciously)
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Powdery Iris and violet on a bed of peppery geranium and patchouli is what I mainly getting from this latest offering from Tom Ford. I can pick up slight hints of vanille/amber within the mix as well but just slightly.

I have to say I am not that impressed and was expecting so much more from Tom Ford, not bottle worthy for me.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I have to say I am not that impressed and was expecting so much more from Tom Ford, not bottle worthy for me.
    I tried this at Nordsrom's this weekend. They were kind enough to give me a sample to take home. Right now, I have to agree, did not impress. I will give it a few wearings before making final judgement, but not overly optimistic.

I was travelling in the States 2 weeks ago and picked up a bottle. It certainly reminds me of something but I can't quite put my finger on it. For me it has solid projection and longevity. I suspect it will be in heavy rotation for me in the fall/winter seasons.

Basenotes Institution

In the review on Now Smell This, he mentions Jicky several times.

-- Jack Kerouac

Wearing again today. Not blown away by any means but it's a decent 4* scent for me.

On my first skin test, a girl told me that I smelled like parma violets.

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    In the review on Now Smell This, he mentions Jicky several times.
    Hmm - it's basically Jicky with a crappy part in the middle. I'll have to give it a whiff, but it doesn't sound promising.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It's perfectly 'nice', but nothing I'd really want to buy immediately. It's starting to fade after about 2 hours too, which is disappointing despite my generally temperamental skin.

Only smelt this on card, but it seemed to have similarities to Burberry Brit.

I finally tried this and wasnt impressed. The opening was amazing. It reminded me of a spicy version of l'instant de guerlain. However,it dries down to baby powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    Only smelt this on card, but it seemed to have similarities to Burberry Brit.
    I definitely get the Burberry Brit similarity too. Sweet and powdery.

Tried it today at Selfridges London .. it's ok but nothing special at all. I was left underwhelmed. If somebody buys it for me I'll be happy of course, but there is no way I am buying this myself.

Blog Entries

I bought it on the spot when I smelled it in the store. I thought it was just terribly interesting. I can kinda see the Jicky thing, but I like this way better than Jicky. Don't see the HR thing myself, but not disagreeing, either. It's a complex beastie. And *dark*. Nice and dark.

Got a 5ML split of it. And I'm loving it, it project for the first few hours then it stays close to the skin. The type of scent the g/f, wife, f/b would love. But $120+ for 100ML....huummm

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LoPsOrange View Post
    Got a 5ML split of it. And I'm loving it, it project for the first few hours then it stays close to the skin. The type of scent the g/f, wife, f/b would love. But $120+ for 100ML....huummm
    Yeah, I agree - kinda steep.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Yet another Tom Ford fragrance? TF is quickly becoming the new house of Creed.

I returned to John Lewis at the weekend but still no sign of the Extreme version and no sign of the Tom Ford SA to ask about it either. However the sticker price is £85 for 50ml. I do get the comparison (of the 'normal' version) with L'Instant; Jicky is a bit of a stretch IMO. Is Noir supposed to contain civet? I can't detect it. Anyway I would put it in the unisex category.

Basenotes Member

Tried it yesterday in Boots, Meadowhall.

First impressions were that it reminded me of a more masculine version of Samsara. Unfortunately, I was also spraying the other TF fragrances at the same time and when I returned to the Noir card, I could barely detect anything. Will definitely give it a proper try soon.

Btw, is this intended to be a flanker to (or inspired by) Noir de Noir from the private range?

I impulse-blind-bought this last night.

First impressions: I like it but I certainly don't love it, I've smelled much better from Tom Ford, both in the signature and, obviously, in the private blend line.

Seems strictly a fall/winter fragrance to me, at first it actually smells a little more elaborate than it really is. Kind of a letdown after some nice top notes.

I think I went into this with high expectations while it's just an okay fragrance. Not bad at all but nothing too original/surprising/intriguing.
    Well done but nothing special.

Will be able to provide a more accurate feedback after a full wear.

Why So Serious?

Wasn't too impressed. I definitely get the Jicky and Brit thing going on in there. But through out the day I kept getting another vibe, i couldn't figure out what it was until 6 or 8 hours later, M7. I get an ever so slight M7 vibe in Noir which is no coincidence since M7 Ford's masterpiece.

But i'd rather just have bought a bottle of M7.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

I got a sample today and I have to say that it does bear some similarities to M7. I'm just not really impressed and it seems that any other designer could have barfed this out. Final answer: meh. Definitely not bottle-worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    I returned to John Lewis at the weekend but still no sign of the Extreme version and no sign of the Tom Ford SA to ask about it either. However the sticker price is £85 for 50ml. I do get the comparison (of the 'normal' version) with L'Instant; Jicky is a bit of a stretch IMO. Is Noir supposed to contain civet? I can't detect it. Anyway I would put it in the unisex category.
    I'd be very interested in an Extreme version. Were you saying the sticker price on the supposed extreme is 85 for 50 ml?
    Splits!

I'd be very interested in an Extreme version. Were you saying the sticker price on the supposed extreme is 85 for 50 ml?
    Yes. Although the lack of info elsewhere on this so-called 'Limited Edition' makes me wonder if JL have made a mistake. Time will tell.

I was given a sample yesterday- I tested it today on my wrist and for the first couple of hours I thought I had sprayed Diptyque Eau Lente! The spices and the opoponax in the opening are very very similar, to me. The drydown is quite different, though.
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Basenotes Institution

I finally am able to give this a full wearing (in Vegas I only smelled it on my arm, while I testing several other things). The similarities to Habit Rouge are easy to get, but this one is of course more modern. I don't think it is particularly 'dark' so perhaps the name of the fragrance has less to do with this then maybe TF was trying to create a scent that's sort of 'film noir' in a classic, black & white sort of retro way (which makes a lot of sense, since many scents TF has worked on give off this vibe).

There is something about the middle and base notes that smells like floor wax (I smell this a bit in Ambre Nuit by Christian Dior also) and it sort of restrains the scent from resting on a powdery base (like the Guerlain). It's soft, vanillac, but there isn't that oppoponax or wood resin/leather that you get from HR either, instead there's a floral/musk accord that softens the vanilla oriental structure.

I was a bit bored by it the first time, but today it's interesting me more...not sure if I need this though. It is, everything that I wanted Habit Rouge L'Eau to be, so if I think of Noir as a HR flanker rather than a TF release, it sort of makes sense...but then again, do I really need a modern HR flanker since I am more than happy with all of the versions that I already own.

-- Jack Kerouac

I get from this parts of Purple Patchouli, a bit of Tom Ford Extreme, some powdery iris... and I'm just not a fan. It just doesn't come together.

For me, it“s more like a reworked version of Guerlain“s good ole 'Shalimar' for masculine use.

BTW, there“s another interesting review:
    http://boisdejasmin.com/2012/10/tom-...me-review.html

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide View Post
    They had tester bottles in Dublin's Brown Thomas store today, so I tried it! It's *extremely* similar to Guerlain's Habit Rouge to my nose. I can't believe more people haven't picked up on this too. It's perhaps a little lighter and fresher, but still shockingly similar. Very nicely done all the same. The SA gave me 3 sample cards, so I'll try it out properly over the next few days.
    100000% I agree! I'd say it's even more striking with Habit Rouge EDP. The similarity stroke me 10 mn after I first sprayed it on my skin! Even if Noir is more spicy. It must be due to the powdery patchouli effect. I find Noir nice and enjoyable. But price-wise, man, barely bottleworthy: Tom Ford mu§t calm down it's price tag§!!!

Sampled it recently, and I kind of liked it. Reminds me of something else. . . can't put my finger on it. . . but overall, seemed of reasonable quality. Two short sprays, strong stuff, lasted a long time. My wife liked it on me, maybe more than I did.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Sampled Tom Ford Noir today. Cannot really say that I was overly impressed. At least not to the point where I would make an actual purchase. I would not go as far to say that it is a bad scent, but it simply is not worth the cost to me. I do see where one other writer indicated that the dry down had a YSL M7 vibe. I think that I got a whiff of that vibe after a couple of hours. That being the case, I would much rather purchase a bottle of M7. Tom Ford Nor is not a bad scent though. I don't want for anyone to get the wrong idea. It is well made and has a good dry down.

Very much in the vein of Noir de Noir and Tom Ford Extreme. One of the best releases of the year imo, and FBW for me.
    Current top 10:

1. L'Artisan Dzing!
    2. Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    3. Guerlain Bois d'Armenie
    4. L'Artisan Al Oudh
    5. Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    6. Parfumerie Generale Bois Blond
    7. Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    8. Guerlain Derby
    9. Geo F Trumper Eucris
    10. Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

Here is the commercial advertisement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Df1vFmZoqsI

I wish the fragrance was as good as the trailer

Disappointment bottled

got filled with samples and a mini, though!

To my nose it's a darker version of Serge Lutens' Vitriol d'Oeillet.

Ik like it and will sample it again!
    Last edited by TLS; 23rd February 2013 at 07:38 PM.