Code of Conduct

Default Shaking perfume bottles!!!...Do you do it?

Hi All,....so i was reading this thread on BN that gave me the creeps......that it's not advisable to shake your perfume bottle (for whatever reason i'm not so sure of)...but at least i understood it could ruin the perfume.That got me wondering whether there are special measures and mechanisms put in place during transportation of perfumes to make sure perfume boxes containing perfume bottles do not shake? even transporting them to various retail outlets? Because one way or the other perfume bottles experience some sort of movements and they shake. (in a lady's hand bag for example)
    I mistakenly dropped my new bottle of Chanel homme sport i just bought (sealed in Box), and after picking it up i just shook the box just to hear the sound of the juice. Now i'm feeling i might have have ruined my "precious cologne".
    Basenoters, is it possible my cologne could be ruined just by shaking my cologne once? Or do u guys do it sometimes too? Will shaking the bottle really harm or ruin my cologne? Thank you all

Blog Entries

Default Re: Shaking perfume bottles!!!...Do you do it?

I don't see any way that a bit of shaking can damage it. I'm sure your fragrance is just fine!

Nope, a bit of a shake will do it no harm at all - after all, most of the major perfumers sell their products by post, and they don't seem to think there's any problem with that.
    Alan

Oh....

my....

EVERYONE OUT OF THE BUILDING IMMEDIATELY! A FRAGRANCE HAS BEEN COMPROMISED!!!!!

I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Yeah, I don't see how shaking could do any damage to the juice.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I don't see any problem in shaking the juice or I don't know any of my perfumes indeed.

The only one you don't want to shake up is Eau de Budweiser.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I don't see how a perfume would be ruined simply by shaking it. Perhaps another trick to get you to purchase yet another bottle?

Shaking won't harm the fragrance. Imagine what they go through during shipping.
    Regardless, I see no reason to shake my fragrance. I doubt the notes are going to settle on the bottom of the bottle.

Didn't James Bond say "shaken, not sprayed"?

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Enjoy.

As long as your bottle is tight, shaking your bottle won't harm the fragrance.

Basenotes Plus

We must take steps to find and block the inaccurate thread, tout de suite!

Your juice is fine- enjoy!
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Just remember if you shake it more than twice you are playing with it....
    Living each day one spray at a time

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy01 View Post
    Just remember if you shake it more than twice you are playing with it....
    Lol!! 

To answer the OP Thread question - I do not willfully shake or agitate my fragrances.

Dont believe every moronic, ridiculously unbelievable thing you read on the internet.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

the way I see it, colognes are a mixture of oils and alcohol and if not shaken things settle and become mixed so I shake my bottle like once or twice before I spray. It makes logical sence to do so to me but i really have no clue if this is bad or not

Unless you use you cologne bottle as a musical instrument every night in band to make cool splashy effects for hours at a time in the mic, youre cologne should be just fine.

Nah, its fine.

for swap/sale:

No worries friend, your Chanel is fine. Enjoy it.

Think about how much shaking it went through to get from Chanel to your store. Each time the box was loaded or unloaded from a warehouse to a truck, etc.

Heck, think about how the juice got into your bottle in the first place.

Shakey shakey.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    I wouldn't recommend drinking it either. That stuff is trash. Give me a Rogue Dead Guy Ale.

the thing that may ruing the fragrance is oxidization. naturally, it involves air. when the bottle is full there isn't much air to do any harm but when there is a lot of air inside the bottle, you increase the chances of ruining the fragrance when you shake it. obviously your fragrance is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by SpicyPepper View Post
    the way I see it, colognes are a mixture of oils and alcohol and if not shaken things settle and become mixed so I shake my bottle like once or twice before I spray. It makes logical sence to do so to me but i really have no clue if this is bad or not
    oil and alcohol mixture is as likely to separate as sugar and water. don't do it.

Banned

I don't shake my scents as a matter of routine, and I would not be concerned about their occasional shaking during transport.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    the thing that may ruing the fragrance is oxidization. naturally, it involves air. when the bottle is full there isn't much air to do any harm but when there is a lot of air inside the bottle, you increase the chances of ruining the fragrance when you shake it. obviously your fragrance is fine.
    This was my first thought, too.

l would never deliberately shake my bottles, no.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I have never felt the need to shake any of my fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by SpicyPepper View Post
    If your fragrance requires shaking to keep oil and ethanol mixed then there is a fixed oil in it (a result of using an adulterated material) or it is otherwise at fault. No properly made fragrance requires shaking to keep the oils in solution.

On the other hand shaking a full bottle is completely harmless (unless the bottle leaks in which case you have a bigger problem). Shaking less than full bottles isn't a good idea as it will increase the exposure of the liquid to oxygen and therefore oxidation, which is bad for fragrances, particularly aldehydic or high-citrus perfumes, however the difference between shaken once or twice and never shaken is negligible. If you were shaking it every day it might cause it to age a bit faster . . . but nothing so dramatic as sitting it on a sunny windowsill would do.
    Last edited by Chris Bartlett; 8th August 2012 at 01:25 PM. Reason: minor corrections
    A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.”
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Default Shaking perfume bottles - the men are talking about this - do you do it?

I must admit that I don't but perhaps we should. Wearing the Pell Wall Perfumes Crowdsource today. It's rapidly becoming one of my favourites.

Banned

@ Chris Bartlett - Thanks for your informative and enlightened point of view.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Shaking perfume bottles - the men are talking about this - do you do it?

No-- as has also been pointed out on that thread, no shaking is needed for a properly formulated perfume (the ingredients should not separate.)

Also, whereas shaking a full bottle a bit would not expose the scent to much air, shaking a half-full bottle could cause faster oxidation and degradation.

Default Re: Shaking perfume bottles - the men are talking about this - do you do it?

Heavens no.

Only powerful machines can break the molecules, shaking however - not

No, I don't shake. I might give it a slight tilt if I'm checking for particles, but not otherwise. Of course I'm discounting the number of times when reaching for a bottle I manage to knock it over or on the floor, so it gets a mix-up anyway - this probably happens more often than it should!

Thanks so much everybody, I've been really enlightened....so shaking a bottle regularly isn't a very good idea. I will take that. Then I guess perfume bottles manufactured without atomizers are not that good, because anytime you open them, they get exposed.

I drop them every now and then, if that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    I drop them every now and then, if that counts.
    Whoa....don't they get cracked?

There we go then - doing the right thing after all! Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by justiceanthony View Post
    Whoa....don't they get cracked?
    Some do. As long as they just fall on the floor without hitting anything they're usually alright.

Blog Entries

...Then I guess perfume bottles manufactured without atomizers are not that good, because anytime you open them, they get exposed.
    But anytime you use an atomizer scent, more air enters the bottle to replace the fluid that was sprayed out. Air exposure can't be avoided entirely, but as long as one doesn't leave splash bottle uncapped, there shouldn't be a problem.

Watch out, though, for splash bottles that come with a removable bulb-type atomizer. I've read of some that allow for evaporation through the bulb if it is left screwed in even when not in use.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    But anytime you use an atomizer scent, more air enters the bottle to replace the fluid that was sprayed out. Air exposure can't be avoided entirely, but as long as one doesn't leave splash bottle uncapped, there shouldn't be a problem.

Watch out, though, for splash bottles that come with a removable bulb-type atomizer. I've read of some that allow for evaporation through the bulb if it is left screwed in even when not in use.
    I see!!! I never knew that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    If your fragrance requires shaking to keep oil and ethanol mixed then there is a fixed oil in it (a result of using an adulterated material) or it is otherwise at fault. No properly made fragrance requires shaking to keep the oils in solution.

On the other hand shaking a full bottle is completely harmless (unless the bottle leaks in which case you have a bigger problem). Shaking less than full bottles isn't a good idea as it will increase the exposure of the liquid to oxygen and therefore oxidation, which is bad for fragrances, particularly aldehydic or high-citrus perfumes, however the difference between shaken once or twice and never shaken is negligible. If you were shaking it every day it might cause it to age a bit faster . . . but nothing so dramatic as sitting it on a sunny windowsill would do.
    Which is another way to say: don't play the maracas with them!
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    On the other hand shaking a full bottle is completely harmless (unless the bottle leaks in which case you have a bigger problem). Shaking less than full bottles isn't a good idea as it will increase the exposure of the liquid to oxygen and therefore oxidation, which is bad for fragrances, particularly aldehydic or high-citrus perfumes.
    Good point... Thank you.. But I realized most new bottles even though full, are not completely filled. What about the little empty portion left in the bottle? Thanks

Blog Entries

The headspace is necessary...don't forget fluids can expand if they are shipped by air, as air pressure is lower at higher altitudes. Even when mailing samples to one another it's good to leave a bit of headspace to prevent leaks caused by expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    The headspace is necessary...don't forget fluids can expand if they are shipped by air, as air pressure is lower at higher altitudes. Even when mailing samples to one another it's good to leave a bit of headspace to prevent leaks caused by expansion.
    Oh I see...this is why I joined basenotes. Never knew all that. Thanks.

Chemist approves! No perfume shaking is needed. It has neither good or bad effect on perfume. I think there's no need to talk more in this matter.
    But let's let those boys get their life more complicated
    Last edited by lucasai; 8th August 2012 at 03:52 PM.

if i wanna make a cocktail with/out of it then yes.

Lol... I get that!

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Dont believe every moronic, ridiculously unbelievable thing you read on the internet.
    Indeed - you should never believe more than half of them
    Alan

that it's not advisable to shake your perfume bottle
    There's an instruction label on my Narciso Rodriguez Essence Iridescent : "Shake Before Use".

smells are surer than sights or sounds to make your heartstrings crack.

-Vladimir Nabokov

Wow....thats a surprise

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    We must take steps to find and block the inaccurate thread, tout de suite!

Your juice is fine- enjoy!
    I'm paranoid....and a bit of an OCD...can't blame me can u? I threw over a $100 on that Chanel. Lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by teerose View Post
    There's an instruction label on my Narciso Rodriguez Essence Iridescent : "Shake Before Use".

That's because that particular version is IRIDESCENT, ie. it contains a substance that imparts a glittery sheen to your skin. That is what separates from the perfume in the bottle. The vast majority of perfumes do not do this & therefore do not require shaking.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    LOL! I don't shake or stir my fragrances.

I guess when it falls or when you throw it onto your bed etc., it shakes and mixes as swell.... Does that also count?