Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Least synthetic minty smell?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sander for Man by Jil Sander

4 28.57%
  • Cartier Roadster

10 71.43%

Default Sander for Man & Roadster: Mint poll

So both these frags are on special at the moment and since I am on holiday for 2 months and there's no way I can go and have a spray of either of them I thought I'd ask for your opinions since this will be a blind buy. After reading the reviews it seems as if both Sander for Man by Jil Sander and Cartier Roadster are both quite minty. While I love the smell of actual mint I do not like the smell of synthetic mint, I think of mint air fresheners etc. which are very far removed from the real thing. What do you reckon is better of the two?

The nose behind Roadster has a good portfolio behind her but it doesn't compare to Monsieur Cavallier's which includes that darling of this forum: M7 as well as some of my favourites like Opium. I'm not sure if track record counts for anything. I'm tempted by Sander because it's far less widely available and therefore a bit more special in those terms.

I love the bottle of Roadster.

Banned

Default Re: Sander for Man & Roadster: Mint poll

Roadster by Cartier ... a fresh, non-toothpasty mint, really a dark, subdued mint, which duets with a fresh, green fougere ... excellent quality and versatility ... very good sillage and longevity

Roadster all the way. It is more sophisticated. Sander for Man smelled just generic and cheap to me.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Roadster by Cartier has better longevity and more complexity to it.

It's a pity that the Sander is so thin on the ground I'd love to try it but so far it looks like Roadster is taking it easily

Sur la Plage

Neither are worth purchasing IMO.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Roadster.

Cartier Roadster

I have both and find Sander more versatile. There was a long period of time where I didn't wear it and when I finally got around to it, I said "oh, where have you been?". It's one of those fragrances that can feel very different from wearing to wearing - there are times that I love it and times where I find the love less so.

Roadster is nice, but I find it more of a cooler weather scent. The cashmere woods give it a bit of gravity and heaviness that I don't think wears as well in the heat/humidity. I like the mint in it, but it's definitely darker and the overall scent itself doesn't go through a huge array of change and stays fairly linear.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Neither are worth purchasing IMO.
    What else in the same vein/price bracket would be then?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    I have both and find Sander more versatile. There was a long period of time where I didn't wear it and when I finally got around to it, I said "oh, where have you been?". It's one of those fragrances that can feel very different from wearing to wearing - there are times that I love it and times where I find the love less so.

Roadster is nice, but I find it more of a cooler weather scent. The cashmere woods give it a bit of gravity and heaviness that I don't think wears as well in the heat/humidity. I like the mint in it, but it's definitely darker and the overall scent itself doesn't go through a huge array of change and stays fairly linear.
    Thanks for this. So the Sander is more versatile but which do you prefer in general? Right now I'm in Southern Vietnam but I will be heading back to Switzerland in October, Autumn. Switzerland isn't a particularly hot or humid country although Summer is nice, pity I'm missing it entirely. 'Versatile' sounds good but so too does .darker.'

I've never tried Sander but I have Roadster and I'm not a fan at all. I don't exactly know what you are wanting in a mint note. If you want it as a dominant, prolonged note I don't think either will fit the bill. Roadster is minty but not a very natural smelling mint...meaning that if you're wanting the smell of mint leaves, this is not it, if you are wanting the smell of mint oil, then it will work for you. But, Roadster is not all about the mint, it is first and foremost a woody fragrance and the mint is a small player. In testing Roadster many times I have discovered that on me the mint lasts about 20 minutes or so, and then I am left with a wood plank on my wrist...don't get me wrong, I have many woody frags that I love, but the wood in Roadster is bland and boring to me.

I am a huge mint fan, and I have tried tons of mint frags and own many mint frags, and I will seek out any I can get my hands on to test. Here are my suggestions if you want mint-centric frags:

Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca-Straight up fresh mint leaves and grass. I feel like this is THE most natural smelling mint frag.
    Lush Dirty-Super minty with a clay sort of vibe to it. It's different, but very good.
    CDG Green Play-This doesn't get a lot of love here on BN, but I picked it up about 3 weeks ago and at first I thought it was a little weak, but I loved the mint in it so I got it. Since then I have discovered that it has quite the longevity on my skin. It's a subtle scent, but minty throughout with an herby basil feel to it.
    Frederic Malle Geranium Pour Monsieur-Great mint throughout, but it takes a backseat to the Geranium (thus the name) but the mint lasts the life of the frag and it's great.

Those are the best mint frags I have come upon. I also really like Aqua Allegoria Mentafollia but after a while I become anosmic to the mint and it becomes a strong tea scent...which I really enjoy, it's just I'm suggesting frags based on the mint. My wife can smell the mint in Mentafollia on me later on in the dry down, I just don't smell it...so, it's still about the mint, but my nose gets used to it so I don't think of it as an extreme mint frag because of that.

I hope that helped...if those are some that you might be interested in.

Roadster lasted forever on my skin. unfortunately.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Basenotes Junkie

I haven't sniffed Sander, but the mint opening of Roadster is absolutely insane! I never thought mint could smell so good. The dry down is another story. I like it, but the dry down kinda "meh" compared to that first hour.

Thanks for this. So the Sander is more versatile but which do you prefer in general?
    I voted for Sander by a slight margin.
    The Bark Bites Back.

I find Roadster to smell pretty natural myself. There are different types of mint and not everyone is looking for the literal mint leaves for smell. I agree with another poster that Roadster is better suited for cooler temperatures. I sampled my decant a few times this past winter. I would imagine it would work great in the autumn.

Sander for Man has a really nice opening, but then starts to become unremarkable and thin after an hour and a half ( or so). Its really too bad, but the perfumer created some pretty lively notes on the top. The mint is different than the Roadster. This one has more of a cooling feel, rather than Roadsters's warm feel.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Roadster.

- - - Updated - - -

Roadster.

Thanks for all the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kybid View Post
    I've never tried Sander but I have Roadster and I'm not a fan at all. I don't exactly know what you are wanting in a mint note. If you want it as a dominant, prolonged note I don't think either will fit the bill. Roadster is minty but not a very natural smelling mint...meaning that if you're wanting the smell of mint leaves, this is not it, if you are wanting the smell of mint oil, then it will work for you. But, Roadster is not all about the mint, it is first and foremost a woody fragrance and the mint is a small player. In testing Roadster many times I have discovered that on me the mint lasts about 20 minutes or so, and then I am left with a wood plank on my wrist...don't get me wrong, I have many woody frags that I love, but the wood in Roadster is bland and boring to me.

I am a huge mint fan, and I have tried tons of mint frags and own many mint frags, and I will seek out any I can get my hands on to test. Here are my suggestions if you want mint-centric frags:

Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca-Straight up fresh mint leaves and grass. I feel like this is THE most natural smelling mint frag.
    Lush Dirty-Super minty with a clay sort of vibe to it. It's different, but very good.
    CDG Green Play-This doesn't get a lot of love here on BN, but I picked it up about 3 weeks ago and at first I thought it was a little weak, but I loved the mint in it so I got it. Since then I have discovered that it has quite the longevity on my skin. It's a subtle scent, but minty throughout with an herby basil feel to it.
    Frederic Malle Geranium Pour Monsieur-Great mint throughout, but it takes a backseat to the Geranium (thus the name) but the mint lasts the life of the frag and it's great.

Those are the best mint frags I have come upon. I also really like Aqua Allegoria Mentafollia but after a while I become anosmic to the mint and it becomes a strong tea scent...which I really enjoy, it's just I'm suggesting frags based on the mint. My wife can smell the mint in Mentafollia on me later on in the dry down, I just don't smell it...so, it's still about the mint, but my nose gets used to it so I don't think of it as an extreme mint frag because of that.

I hope that helped...if those are some that you might be interested in.
    I haven't smelled mint oil in a while but it's the smell of freshly spanked mint leaves that I really love. It's perhaps a barman thing. I don't own and haven't tried any mint-note fragrances yet. I'm not sure that I want the mint note as the most prominent, but something with a bit of mint in it would be interesting to try. I do love woody fragrances though so what you are describing with regards to Roadster sounds pretty good actually.

I've tried Herba Fresca once and I really don't recall a pronounced mint note, I did get the a grassy vibe from it though. The Lush frags have been getting a lot of good PR around here so I will check this out when I get back to CH, there aren't any stores in this city. All the CDG frags I've tried thus far have been lovely and lasted ages on me, it's a pity that they are so difficult to come by and actually try. Mentafollia sounds great, when you talk about tea, you're talking about black/Ceylon tea I suppose? In other words mint + black tea as opposed to mint tea?

Plenty of help thanks. Mint just might be my new thing, I wasn't particularly on a hunt for the most supreme minty frag it's just that these two are currently on special for very good prices and they both have a strong mint note according to reviews and that's why I'm trying to choose between them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I find Roadster to smell pretty natural myself. There are different types of mint and not everyone is looking for the literal mint leaves for smell. I agree with another poster that Roadster is better suited for cooler temperatures. I sampled my decant a few times this past winter. I would imagine it would work great in the autumn.

Sander for Man has a really nice opening, but then starts to become unremarkable and thin after an hour and a half ( or so). Its really too bad, but the perfumer created some pretty lively notes on the top. The mint is different than the Roadster. This one has more of a cooling feel, rather than Roadsters's warm feel.
    So Roadster does or doesn't smell of actual mint leaves?

Quote Originally Posted by chopwet View Post
    It smells like warm mint to me. That is the best I can put it. I don't feel it smells like actual mint leaves ( thank goodness, because I don't like that in my fragrance...at least not in a noticible dose).
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by chopwet View Post
    Thanks for all the replies!

I haven't smelled mint oil in a while but it's the smell of freshly spanked mint leaves that I really love. It's perhaps a barman thing. I don't own and haven't tried any mint-note fragrances yet. I'm not sure that I want the mint note as the most prominent, but something with a bit of mint in it would be interesting to try. I do love woody fragrances though so what you are describing with regards to Roadster sounds pretty good actually.

I've tried Herba Fresca once and I really don't recall a pronounced mint note, I did get the a grassy vibe from it though. The Lush frags have been getting a lot of good PR around here so I will check this out when I get back to CH, there aren't any stores in this city. All the CDG frags I've tried thus far have been lovely and lasted ages on me, it's a pity that they are so difficult to come by and actually try. Mentafollia sounds great, when you talk about tea, you're talking about black/Ceylon tea I suppose? In other words mint + black tea as opposed to mint tea?

Plenty of help thanks. Mint just might be my new thing, I wasn't particularly on a hunt for the most supreme minty frag it's just that these two are currently on special for very good prices and they both have a strong mint note according to reviews and that's why I'm trying to choose between them.

- - - Updated - - -

You didn't get the mint in Herba Fresca? Interesting. To my nose it smells like they took mint and grass and crushed them together. If you look on Fragrantica the overwhelming response is that it smells like mint. My wife and I took some mint leaves and smeared them on some paper and sprayed another paper with Herba Fresca and they smelled so similar. I'm not trying to convince you, I just think you should give it another try with mint in mind and see what you get.

Mentafollia is definitely a green tea scent with mint mixed in and not mint tea-so you got it right. I don't drink tea so I don't know the difference between the scents of the different teas, so I don't know if black and green tea smell the same, but it is definitely a strong tea frag with mint as a heavy player. It really is great!! It's been discontinued, but you can always find it on ebay, that's where I got mine and it was super cheap for the 125 ml bottle. Great frag.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that CDG also has a frag called Peppermint Sherbet that is straight up mint leaves with pepper. I like this frag, it's just that the pepper becomes quite strong to me and almost overpowers the mint after a little while. They also had another frag that was in the leaves series called mint. I received a sample from an extremely nice guy on here...especially because it is discontinued and NO WHERE to be found. It is the best natural mint frag that I have experienced! It's amazing and so much like actual mint leaves. It's sad that it's been discontinued. I didn't mention it before because of that fact.

And, no, Roadster doesn't smell at all like mint leaves as was stated before. I began my hunt of mint frags after having read reviews of Heeley's Menthe Fraiche...I never knew their were mint frags out there and because of that hunt I discovered Basenotes and man have my eyes, or should I say my nose has been opened. Anyway, I didn't have access to Menthe Fraiche and I was new to the frag hobby and didn't know that you could order samples, so I researched mint fragrances and found out about Roadster. My wife and I traveled 2 hours to the nearest city and I was very excited to try it, only to be let down in a major way. I was pretty sad about it. It was not at all like I expected and the harsh mint note only lasted about 20 minutes....but you may love it and that would be awesome, especially because of the price. By the way, Menthe Fraiche was a let down too when I finally tested it...not only did it die out really quickly, but to my nose it has a very strong herba mate note in it that drowns out the mint...and it turned very sour on my skin.

I'm a huge fan of woody fragrances also, so if you have any suggestions, feel free to send them my way. I've got a few that I absolutely love and would love to add some more.

Good luck with you mint hunt.
    Last edited by Kybid; 9th August 2012 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kybid View Post
    You didn't get the mint in Herba Fresca? Interesting. To my nose it smells like they took mint and grass and crushed them together. If you look on Fragrantica the overwhelming response is that it smells like mint. My wife and I took some mint leaves and smeared them on some paper and sprayed another paper with Herba Fresca and they smelled so similar. I'm not trying to convince you, I just think you should give it another try with mint in mind and see what you get.

Mentafollia is definitely a green tea scent with mint mixed in and not mint tea-so you got it right. I don't drink tea so I don't know the difference between the scents of the different teas, so I don't know if black and green tea smell the same, but it is definitely a strong tea frag with mint as a heavy player. It really is great!! It's been discontinued, but you can always find it on ebay, that's where I got mine and it was super cheap for the 125 ml bottle. Great frag.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that CDG also has a frag called Peppermint Sherbet that is straight up mint leaves with pepper. I like this frag, it's just that the pepper becomes quite strong to me and almost overpowers the mint after a little while. They also had another frag that was in the leaves series called mint. I received a sample from an extremely nice guy on here...especially because it is discontinued and NO WHERE to be found. It is the best natural mint frag that I have experienced! It's amazing and so much like actual mint leaves. It's sad that it's been discontinued. I didn't mention it before because of that fact.

And, no, Roadster doesn't smell at all like mint leaves as was stated before. I began my hunt of mint frags after having read reviews of Heeley's Menthe Fraiche...I never knew their were mint frags out there and because of that hunt I discovered Basenotes and man have my eyes, or should I say my nose has been opened. Anyway, I didn't have access to Menthe Fraiche and I was new to the frag hobby and didn't know that you could order samples, so I researched mint fragrances and found out about Roadster. My wife and I traveled 2 hours to the nearest city and I was very excited to try it, only to be let down in a major way. I was pretty sad about it. It was not at all like I expected and the harsh mint note only lasted about 20 minutes....but you may love it and that would be awesome, especially because of the price. By the way, Menthe Fraiche was a let down too when I finally tested it...not only did it die out really quickly, but to my nose it has a very strong herba mate note in it that drowns out the mint...and it turned very sour on my skin.

I'm a huge fan of woody fragrances also, so if you have any suggestions, feel free to send them my way. I've got a few that I absolutely love and would love to add some more.

Good luck with you mint hunt.
    I'll have to try Herba Fresca again, keeping the mint note in mind. Strange how knowing what something should smell like can change the way one smells it, at least in my case that's true. I drink a lot of tea and it would be interesting to see which tea Mentafollia smells of. I'm guessing it's not any kind of black tea since that would be a smell for a darker scent. The herba mate note you mention in Menthe Fraiche sounded good until I realised I was thinking of matcha.

So far I'm a big fan of CDG but they are very tricky to smell since so few places stock them, my local store has all the Bonds and most of the Creeds, a ton of not often found Guerlains but only 3 different CDG.

Obvious wood suggestions aside (Wonderwood, Eau de Baux etc.) if I recall correctly Kenzo Jungle had a wood note that I loved, I've ordered another bottle and I'll let you know when I get to it, Gucci PH I and Gucci Rush PH were also both great wood frags to my nose. It seems as if the current trend, as with the first two mentioned, is towards sweet smelling wood frags, which is a pity IMHO.

Right now I'm enjoying two woody eau de parfums that I picked up in Dubai. They are a bit of mystery and I'll have to have the bottles and boxes next to me to see if I can find any more information but the one is leathery and woody, reminds me strongly of Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather, the only label in English that I can find on the box is 'Otoori.' I've tried googling it but I can't find the bottle I have. The other is called 'Oud Ehsasi - Limited Edition' which has a strong sandalwood note to it. They are both woody and were both bought for absolute steals since neither is a known brand: they were tucked away in a small corner with zero fanfare. The Oud Ehsasi was preferred to the Amouage Interlude on my wrists.