Code of Conduct
    queen of the universe

Default Friend is in Paris, what do I tell him to get for me?

Hi,

a friend is vacationing in Paris. What are some fragrances that can't be had here in the US that he could get for me? Maximum I want to spend is $150. I'm thinking Guerlain, Lutens, Caron, or Chanel. Not sure what I'm looking for, so this could be a pricey blind buy. otoh, are there any bargains to be had? Lately my holy grail is finding a tuberose or gardenia + leather. If you like, check my wardrobe to see where I'm coming from.

Thanks—I mean, merci!
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Default Re: Friend is in Paris, what do I tell him to get for me?

Your friend could get you a Montale. Their flagship boutique is currently off (will be opening again in late September) but I think that Montales can be find someplace else apart from Montale Boutique.
    Guerlain, definitely, they have a boutique in Paris so you could get some hard to obtain perfume from their exclusives.

there are so many!! please read alfarom's paris shopping trip report on his blog nero profumo (no affiliation). to say it's informative is an understatement. i know paris pretty well and i still found it jaw dropping.

If you are in for gambling... Sarrasins or Rose de Nuit!

Apart from the Guerlain and Lutens exclusives (which are well documented on other threads), there are lines sold at places like Jovoy and Sens Unique which I'm guessing aren't available Stateside. Browse the websites, see if anything grabs your attention.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Apart from the Guerlain and Lutens exclusives (which are well documented on other threads), there are lines sold at places like Jovoy and Sens Unique which I'm guessing aren't available Stateside. Browse the websites, see if anything grabs your attention.
    you pipped me to the post!! i was just about to say lutens paris exclusives, can't go wrong there!! brill suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Agree on what Gand says (Jovoy and Sans Unique) with the exception that at Guerlain with $150 you'll probably be able to buy only the cap of any of their exclusives....

Quote Originally Posted by danny1967 View Post
    there are so many!! please read alfarom's paris shopping trip report on his blog nero profumo (no affiliation). to say it's informative is an understatement. i know paris pretty well and i still found it jaw dropping.
    You're a friend...

--------------------

IMO you should get a bell jar or a couple of Caron Extraits (the 7.5ml sells for something like 80 bucks so you can get two)....
    Last edited by alfarom; 8th August 2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: typooooos

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by danny1967 View Post
    I thought you were a Platinum Sponsor of Nero Profumo.

- - - Updated - - -

Jujy, serge Lutens of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    If you are in for gambling... Sarrasins or Rose de Nuit!
    I have drool on my ipad now...

for swap/sale:

queen of the universe

Larimar I love your suggestion.vOK, so before I send mon ami running to Lutens for a bell jar, what are we talking about, cost-wise?

I'm looking here for a list of Lutens. I do love the darkness of this line.

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    Larimar I love your suggestion.vOK, so before I send mon ami running to Lutens for a bell jar, what are we talking about, cost-wise?
    Current price is something like 130 euros...Don't even think about the engraved bottles that are well over 300...

What about a sample pack from a house you want to try like Lutens [just an example]? and then maybe a less expensive bottle of something you already like? so you don't throw away big money on something blindly but you still get to sample those houses?
    "I guess it's like most dreams, people work hard for them, they take time, When you arrive you aren't sure if it's what you expected. Hopefully it's better, but I guess that is why people dream and choose to chase them" ~anonymous.

"You’re buying stars to shut out the light. We come alone and alone we die And no matter how hard you try I’ll always belong in the sky" ~ Marina and The Diamonds

queen of the universe

Hah, last two responses came up while I was still typing, and alfarom weighs in—grazie! Caron or Lutens it will be. I guess to validate, hedonist222 salubrious salutations and salivations, Lutens.

Hah, last two responses came up while I was still typing, and alfarom weighs in—grazie! Caron or Lutens it will be. I guess to validate, hedonist222 salubrious salutations and salivations, Lutens.
    Keep us posted, we're so curious

I have drool on my ipad now...
    I fully understand!

The Caron extraits are fairly uneconomical at low 7.5 ml quantities, the price per ml reduces significantly with quantity plus samples of these can be had more easily in the States?

queen of the universe

OK, having looked at the lutens blog, I've narrowed it to Larimar's two suggestions, Rose de nuit and Sarrasins, plus Rahät loukoum. There are other Lutens I love (many thanks to cacio and PerfumedLady for sharing), but I'm aiming for an exclusive that I can't get stateside.

So, which shall it be? You may choose based on what you know about my preferences, see wardrobe and reviews, or on what you would selfishly like me to get for your benefit, as I will happily send samples. Seriously, I love sharing as much as wearing (and as much as an internal rhyme so if you are lusting for one of these I'll happily make that choice.

My vote for Sarrasins. Big jasmine, leather, fruits turning into a strange floral-osmanthus like combo. Rahat Loukoum is a little too sweet for me. El Attarine is another worthy of attention. The first time I was blown away by the rich, spicy and resinous florals. The second time I could not smell it well, but don't know if, as likely, because of olfactory fatigue (I had smelled several other exclusives before) or because the juice was not as rich anymore. Need to try again. And then there's La Myrrhe, if you like aldehydes and a sweet myrrh drydown.

cacio

cacio

queen of the universe

Ah, cacio weighs in! Thank you for your observations. I think any Lutens will make me happy. I'm wearing the decant of Muscs Koublai Khan you sent me, and enjoy it even though I'm not a musk fancier. It likes my skin, and really blooms at the crook of the elbow. All day long it has caught me by surprise with its pleasant sweet/salty fleshly yet powdery vibe.

Another vote for Sarrasins. Absolutely breathtaking for its beauty.

mihailo

Another vote for Sarrasins

queen of the universe

I have passed on the landslide for Sarrasins.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, Beaux, don't know how I missed your post. If a $150 blind buy is the riskiest thing I do, I'll live to be 100 (;

Seriously, I thought about samples, and I can order samples, even the Lutens wax samples on line. I had the idea to have my friend get me something that could only be bought in Paris, which would be the Lutens exclusives, and I've been the beneficiary of enough Lutens to know I like the stuff. Additionally, a full bottle will give me the opportunity to share with my BN friends.

Now, will he get to Lutens? I don't know. Plan B is to scare up anything with the word "tubereuse" or "gardenia" in the name, and in that case to go cheap and fun. we shall see...

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I thought you were a Platinum Sponsor of Nero Profumo.

Anything you cannot buy in the States, such as SL bell jars, or anything that has a better value in Paris compared to where you are.

Fourrea Noir is excellent. A sturdy lavender which walks hand in hand with a rich tonka. The dry down is to die for.

for swap/sale:

Hi there,
    Personally I'd ask your friend to get a bottle of Guerlain's Vetiver Pour Elle, as it
    is only sold at Paris stations and airports for some inexplicable reason and is very
    nice indeed. Failing that my choice would be Douce Amere (Lutens)

Postscript:
    Sorry I have just read that VPE has been discontinued, so ignore my previous comments.
    What a shame.
    Last edited by kewart; 9th August 2012 at 10:01 AM.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Fourrea Noir is excellent. A sturdy lavender which walks hand in hand with a rich tonka. The dry down is to die for.
    Agreed!

If a friend of mine will travel to Paris I'll ask him/her to bring me one of those 3 Guerlains from Les Deserts d'Orient (thinking about Songe or Encens mythique)

Tuberose and gardenia... they just happen to be perhaps the two most striking perfumes of not so cheap and exclusive JAR.

Lutens is literally a couple of minutes from the Louvre, rue de Rivoli metro station, so he has no excuse. Exiting from the pyramid entrance, he should just go north towards rue de rivoli, cross the street and enter the Palais Royal square. Lutens is on halfway through on the right side. (Parfums de Rosines is a couple of stores further down the square). Check opening times. For instance, as most Paris stores, it's closed on sundays.

cacio

Blog Entries

My current favorite is Lutens Fleurs D'Oranger from Paris. I get compliments on it all the time. It is yummy orange blossom. I think I paid $206.

Also, I love the Caron parfums that come in a refillable flacon. They are pricey but mine lasts a year and I use it everyday. I love En Avion and especially French Can Can. The violet, heliotrope and rose combined with oakmoss and amber- among other great stuff makes this one my current go-to scent. It's just out of this world from Paris. I think it's about $240.-$260. Yo save about $50 when you get it refilled. So worth it.

Last edited by kumquat; 11th August 2012 at 10:11 PM.

Sarrasins is wonderful! But let me throw a vote in for Boxeuses ... it's a dark gourmand with ripe plum, wood, and leather. I love it!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

queen of the universe

His plane has landed, and Sarrasins it is. I'll give him a day to get over jet lag before I get fidgety...
    Last edited by jujy54; 16th August 2012 at 04:42 PM. Reason: the ususal typos

His plane has landed, and Sarrasins it is. I'll give him a day to get over jet lag before I get fidgety...

I own both Sarrasins and Rose de Nuit, and albeit I love both, if you're going to buy blind, I'd go for Rose de Nuit. Sarrasins is achingly beautiful, but it does have an animalic note - reckon it's the indolic jasmine - which can at times seem a tad overwhelming.

Rose de Nuit, on the other hand, is a beautiful dark rose chypre, and it's something which isn't as polarising as Sarrasins.

On the upside, you can always ebay the Lutens if you don't go a bundle on it. Sarrasins is one of the most popular andsought after scents, and you'll in all likelihood end up selling it for a profit.

queen of the universe

Hi, whimsical. I will find out tomorrow. Well, sometime thereafter, as I give my self three days with a scent to get to know it. I like the animalic in a fragrance, and in search of a white flower + leather. Sarrasins does fit tyhat description, tho Rose de Nuit sounds tempting, too. Is Rose de Nuit along the lines of Magie Noire, just to compare to something I am more famliar with?

- - - Updated - - -

fwiw, my friend emailed me "good choice" on the Sarrasins. He's not a fumisto, so if the animalics didn't scare him off, I suspect I will be fine with them. We shall see... (;

Congratulations jujy!
    Enjoy your Parisian purchase

Enjoy jujy! It's (nearly) all about the suspense, eh?!