Code of Conduct
    Banned

Default Does poor projection/sillage/longevity stop you from wearing certain fragrances?

I have come to realize that while it is great to have the fragrance equivalent of a nuclear bomb (my 2011 Aventus comes to mind), sometimes I like fragrances that are a bit fleeting.

Example: John Varvatos Artisan and Artisan Black. Both project beautifully for the first hour or two, but after that they simmer down to skin scents. Projection dies off, as does sillage. This is pretty much agreed on across the board.

The bottom line in my opinion is that if you like the scent, you should wear it. It is often nice to have a mysterious scent aura that jumps in and out. Being loud all the time is comparable to someone who wears neon-colored clothing every single day. It's just obnoxious, although obviously when executed properly can be very cool.

But, my other question is: If you cannot stand fleeting fragrances and enjoy powerhouses alone...at what point is the cutoff for the fragrance's duration? 5 hours...10 hours...18+ hours? Must it be loud the whole time, or is "just being there" simply enough?

I'm really interested to see what everyone says. Let's get a good discussion going.

Default Re: Does poor projection/sillage/longevity stop you from wearing certain fragrances?

Earlier on it did.

If I couldn't smell the perfume after 10 to 15 sprays, then I wouldn't bother buying it.
    I wasn't happy though. I was missing out on so many classics like Dzing, Dzongkha, Timbuktu, Idole de Lubin and many more.

I realized that I could:
    a- spray more - and spray more I do
    b- use them when I know I won't be very mobile. i.e: at the office or at a cafe
    c- take the bottle with me for a touch up

for swap/sale:

Default Re: Does poor projection/sillage/longevity stop you from wearing certain fragrances?

Okay perhaps I am really, really, really lucky. But no matter how low the sillage or longevity people complain about with certain fragrances, I will get at least 3 or 4 hours without a problem from them. The Honore de Pres range, everyone states oh I get 10 minutes not worth the money. I did buy when like 70% discount and no way would I have paid full price. But they were pretty and I liked so for £12 a bottle I bought three and do get 3 or 4 hours longevity. The famous Chanel 28 La Pausa another one stated 10 minutes in many reviews, hell I get 6 - 8 hours.
    DONNA

If I want a skin scent, IMO no.

Doesn't stop me at all.

Absolutely. I do own some with low sillage/bad longevity and they're ok for certain situations/days (and all were reasonably priced, wouldn't spend much on weak juice) but generally it is not what I'm looking for and I've sold fragrances because of it. I find bad longevity very unsatisfying and a tad annoying.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Absolutely. I do own some with low sillage/bad longevity and they're ok for certain situations/days (and all were reasonably priced, wouldn't spend much on weak juice) but generally it is not what I'm looking for and I've sold fragrances because of it. I find bad longevity very unsatisfying and a tad annoying.
    This.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I won't pay a lot of money for fragrances that don't have good longevity even if I like the fragrance. Spoiled by my Estee's, I guess. I expect a good fragrance to have high sillage and good longevity.

Basenotes Member The New York Perfumista's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes, i still purchased and wear fragrances that have poor longevity and poor sillage.Sometimes I feel like I want other people to enjoy the scent with me but whatever. Sure, I could buy powerhouse scents but I don't like them as much as my tried and true. So if my tried and true scents don't stay all day I spray spray spray! I really do. *Lol. My only issue is when a scent is over the 200 dollar mark and I'm spray the scent all over the place like a mad woman. *It's just wasteful.*
    Also, sometimes I think about the scents that I love that have poor longevity and sillage and wonder what would my experience be with the scent if it didn't have those poor qualities. I almost feel like I wouldnt like them as much if they were perfect. *Something about respritzing makes me fall in love with the scent all over again. *Maybe the fleeting *nature of a perfume is something to be admired as well. Just give me 4-5 hours and I'm fine with that. *
    My current Scent Addiction: Heeley Bubblegum Chic
    Twitter: @theNYperfumista

poor longevity and sillage are annoying, Varvatos' scents are nice but I won't buy them again just for their low longevity/sillage

I want longevity above sillage. In other words, I want to enjoy the scent myself, and if others get a whiff and enjoy it, so much the better. BUT, if I can't get 4 hrs. enjoyment, it frustrates me. Guerlain Eau Imperiale (of which I own a FB) is a prime example. Yes, I fell in love with it. But 30 mins after application, it's GONE. Cristalle,, another love, lasts 2 hrs tops. But I still love it. Will I buy it again when I run out? Hmmmmmm....

I spend most of my time at work. An office day lasts easily 10 hrs + including breaks. And I want my scent to last that long without reapplying. And most of them do. Either my skin is good for longevity or it is my nose. I don't bother if they haven't got much sillage. It's enough if I can still smell it.

I'm with carolina girl here. I want longevity of at least 3-4 hours, but I don't mind if others can't smell the frag, just as long as I'm getting pleasure from it. But I have really bad skin for perfume, being very pale and dry, so longevity is often a problem for me. Annick Goutal's Rose Absolue, La Rose de Rosine among others have very short lives on me, and it's so frustrating. I like light florals, especially in summer, but they vanish so fast.
    However, I've copied granny's old trick of spritzing some juice on to a piece of cotton wool, and tucking it into my bra. This gives me much better longevity and I get nice wafts of it during the day!

Longevity matters to me more than it should, and I don't mind a skin scent as long as it wafts when my arm passes my face. I am missing out on many amazing anise and licorice EdTs because of my longevity snobbery. I'll learn, someday.

For me, decent longevity is at least 4 hours.
    Perfume appeals to my nose the way music appeals to my ears, exquisite food to my taste buds, photography to my eyes, and great loving from my man to my sense of touch.

I can safely conclude, then, that PERFUME IS ART in its purest form.

As an artist, I therefore have a responsibility to buy as much perfume as I can. You know, to learn about art and all.

http://www.sheblogsitall.com

For most of my fragrances I can't really tell when they fade away or stop projecting so I just pick what ever sounds good to me in the morning and not worry about longevity or projection.
    Living each day one spray at a time

I like subtle yet tenacious. Reapplying every half hour drives me nuts. Comme des Garcons Rhubarb, I did love that one... but gone in 10 mins tops. Nope.
    Swimming in scented seas

Doesn't stop me at all, it just changes the time I choose to wear it.

Replying to the OP, I'm not really happy to say this, but yes, it does.

I don't have high expectations though. 4-6 hours do it, no need for 8-12h+....I just don't want to reapply a certain scent in every hour...I hate reapplying.

Sillage/projection is something I can hardly relate to, I like scents with "beast mode" projection, but I never really get it...

Some niche houses come up with expensive perfumes that have 0 projection and average longevity, or worse. Now, this is something that definitely ruins my mood.

Anyway, Overall Smell > Longevity > Sillage > Versatility for me.

Longevity over projection for me too. In fact, I've declined buying frags that have excellent projection because I know how much it annoys me when someone else's perfume totally fills an entire room. Great projection scares me away

I prefer quieter scents.

Something I can spray on my shirt and get noticed only in close proximity.

So... no. Doesn't stop me at all. Varvatos Vintage is one of my favorite quieter scents.

In all honesty, I find powerful scents to be quite obnoxious and "look at me" ish.

i like to have some scents that project well and last long, and some that are quieter and short lived. for different occasions.

Does not stop me at all.

I like fragrances to last at least six hours even if they die down after four but you can still detect the basenotes I'm fine with that. If they just vanish at four hours I tend not to wear it, I have this problem with Azzaro Pour Homme and tend not to wear it as much.

Not at all.

It depends on what you mean by 'poor' of course, but I tend to avoid anything that makes too much noise or drones on relentlessly for hour after hour. As a rule I know what I'm getting into when I wear something, be it a simple EDC or EDT or a longer lasting EDP / PDT or Extrait, so there are no real surprises in terms of how it will perform.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 21st August 2012 at 11:43 AM.

I'm fine with both poor projection and poor longevity. I just try to wear "weaker" fragrances in specific situations like dinners with friends, extremely humid days, going to the beach....

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Sound Scents

Not at all.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Banned
    Blog Entries

short longevity is a great thing because i like to wear several fragrances throughout the day, but i don't wear two at the same time. i can carry an atomizer with me, and it's no problem.

but low projection can be an issue

Yes. In general, I don't care for "skin scents". If I'm wearing perfume I want to smell it, and I would like to be surrounded by its sillage. I'd like my fragrance to maintain its character till the end of the day. That being said, I don't want to asphyxiate myself or drive other people away, so I won't douse myself with fragrance. I've learned how many sprays I can get away with for a particular scent, just to make it pleasant for myself, and hopefully for others too.

It matters to me a lot!
    If i want a low longevity/projection/sillage scent i would buy Denim, old spice, AXE, adidas, and so on, those you find in supermarkets shelves

What I wear depends on the situation. Longevity is a factor as well as the type of scent. I wear the more fleeting ones when I only need a few hours out of it, and the beasts when I will be out for a long time.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    What I wear depends on the situation. Longevity is a factor as well as the type of scent. I wear the more fleeting ones when I only need a few hours out of it, and the beasts when I will be out for a long time.
    THIS.
    When i go to work i use those who have good projection/longevity/sillage, and if i go to a two hours coffe or something i´ll use scents that usually lasts 3-4 hours

Not. I"ll just won't buy if the bottle is too expensive.

- - - Updated - - -

Not. I"ll just won't buy if the bottle is too expensive.

I carry scents around in my purse anyway. So I have no problem doing a touch up during the day if it wears off. But I am unhappy if an expensive fragrance does this. I'm much more willing to reapply when I know its not as much $ per spray.
    The question that women casually shopping for perfume ask more than any other is this: "What scent drives men wild?" After years of intense research, we know the definitive answer. It is bacon. Now, on to the far more interesting subject of perfume.
    ― Tania Sanchez, Perfumes: The Guide

Yeah if other options are there to choose from.

It doesn't stop me from wearing. However, I will not knowingly buy short lasting frags, I want at least six hours. I have two in my collection that do not give good longevity they are Himalaya and Pure Shot. Himalaya is great for work but fades right around 5-6 hours. Pure shot I use for the gym or jogging.

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

yes. If I want a skin scent I apply lightly. When the situation requires adjusting the volume a frag should be strong enough to allow adjusting. Weak frags are annoying and a waste of money.

It has prevented me from buying certain frags...even with a sweet discount.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Basenotes Plus

no it doesn't
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I'm truly jealous you get great longevity/projection from Aventus, on me it doesn't stay so long. Although my first post on BN was about Aventus and how I couldn't smell it at all, but received two compliments on it (my first ever fragrance compliments, no less). Projection and longevity is an issue for me, if I'm sitting in the office then Aventus or Blenheim Bouquet are fine because it doesn't really matter if they're gone after a couple of hours. But if I'm going out in the evening, I like to know my frag will still be noticeable by others throughout. Chanel frags seem to linger on me for hours, it's quite remarkable, so they're my choice for occasions when I really want to be noticed.

Depends....I'm debating between one fragrance I LOVE, and one that smells similar (and in some ways, I actually love MORE) but has poor longevity/sillage/projection compared to the other. (It is about 1/4 the price though.) Somehow I have a feeling I might end up with both, or a mini of the one because I DO love it. And minis are cheap.

I want longevity above sillage.
    Right here.

Low longevity has stopped me buyiing fragrances, but that doesn't mean I won't buy scents that don't last a long time. Even knowingly. There is plenty of room in my wardrobe for fragrances that only last an hour or two as there are many times when I go out and do not stay out longer than that. Also, I love wearing scents to bed so whatever I wear only needs to last long enough for me to drift off.

Lastly if I'm just sitting around the house being able to wear numerous scents in one day can be very entertaining.

I do begrudge spending a lot of money on fragrance that dissapears swiftly though, unless it's the nature of the scent. Such as a citrus, or EDC. It's one reason I'm very wary of L'artisan.

Excessive longevity can actually be a drawback, but this is such a rarity. I mean scents that last multiple days, and with enough oomph that spraying anything over it would compromise the second scent.

I am a bit control freak, so I've made up some fragrance rules for myself and one of them most certainly is:
    1) It must last as long as 5 hours least, so every fragrance I test, I usually mark down the time when those five hours are over and then I sniff again to see if it is still there.
    I have to feel it with my nose upon my wrist, do not care if it's not "all around the place" as I sometimes do enjoy that people can smell my fragrance only up close.

I just wear more and reapply if possible. Ordinarily, I wear more than the average person but get no comments unless someone is very close to me.
    In the case of a weaker juice I wear even more...and then some! If I really like a scent I don't want to miss out on it for the reasons of poor longevity or projection.

Banned
    Blog Entries

If it is a scent that projects like a bomb and then becomes a skin scent, I usually spray a lot more (but I'd wait an hour or two before going out).

If it's poor longevity overall, I just carry an atomizer.

Sure, sometimes it does. If it's the type of scent that I would want better longevity or projection from, then I probably wouldn't buy it in the end. But there are scents that I prefer to have different performance characteristics from--for something I might wear to the office, I would go for low projection and preferably no sillage.

If I like the scent enough then I don't care about longevity. I'll just carry around an atomizer to re-apply.

Yep, to a certain extent, doesnt need to be too loud or powerful, but at least able to last arnd 3-4h. Wouldnt wanna get an expensive scent and starts spamming it cos its too weak, thats just waste of money.

While good smelling things are always nice, if it's something that I really like but it's weak, and I could wave a magic wand and have it last longer and project better, I almost always would.

If a fragrance doesn't last 4 hours, I won't buy it.
    If a frag has poor longevity/sillage, I will be less likely to pay a lot for it. There are exceptions where a fragrance touches me and I have to have it, no matter that it is fleeting...

Not at all.

Absolutely not.

If anything, excessively enthusiastic projection & sillage stops me from wearing certain fragrances on certain occasions.

But if I like the frag, I'll probably end up buying it at some point anyway.

Most definitely. If the longevity and sillage are found to be weak I do not spend my money. I bought Erolfa from Creed, was sold by the house and the fact I had GIT. Never have I been more disappointed in a scent at any cost. So much so that I am not willing to try another Creed scent unless it is given for free. This however goes for any producer with a product of weak longevity and poor sillage.

"Does poor projection/sillage/longevity stop you from wearing certain fragrances?"

Projection: No. In fact, there are times when I specifically choose scents with less projection. I'm not somebody who believes that more projection is always better. For clubbing, I suppose it is. For an intimate date, oh heck no. That's a bad time for a projection beast.

Sillage: No. I do appreciate a scent with good sillage, but a lack of sillage won't prevent me from wearing a scent I like.

Longevity: Sort-of, but in reverse. I tend to wear scents I get great longevity from more often, which means scents with less longevity get worn less often. I'm more likely to not buy a scent I get poor longevity from in the first place.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rowan- View Post
    excessively enthusiastic projection & sillage stops me from wearing certain fragrances on certain occasions.
    EXACTLY. +1.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Yes, it feels cheap to me and I end up giving it away. Goodbye D&G The One. Miss you except for your projection/longevity

Very much so, yes. It's my number one criteria actually (as long as I enjoy the scent). I wear fragrance for my own sake, I want to be able to enjoy a whiff of it all through the day. If you don't you pretty much spent money for other people to enjoy your fragrances. Doesn't make sense to me, considering there are hundreds of other more important aspects to consider if you want to make a "good impression", you yes-sayer.
    Last edited by Rubirosa; 28th February 2013 at 06:38 PM.