Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Dior Homme Intense -WTF ?

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    Iris does have a "pretty" smell so I understand why people say it is feminine.
    I'm not a guy with a lot of "feminine" fragrances (just check my wardrobe), but DHI was love from first sniff.
    Actually, I'm not so sure this perfume would work as good on women as it does on men.

The iris is carefully blended with masculine notes like vetiver and cedar.
    The vanilla and cocoa make this composition truly stunning.

In the drydown I get some kind of a salty caramel vibe, which I absolutely love.

An important thing with this perfume is dosage.
    And yes, women go crazy over it.
    I'll not go into detail, but if you need more information after Redneck Perfumisto's story of the college girl.... you're an idiot.
    Every single word you wrote I agree with. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but DHI has been my favorite for several years now and I wrote a review on both the vintage and reformulations. Which one do you have?

I haven't posted here in while, so hi!

There's a couple of points I'd like to make about DH & DHI.

1. The make-up bag/lipstick vibe is due to the leather, not the iris. This does not make a scent feminine.
    2. Dh & DHI are actually less "floral" than some of the older masculine classics e.g. Insense, Tenere, Zino etc.

As an aside can we please stop this masculine-feminine crap? Each to theirs!

It's ironic because discussing perfume on a forum isn't a very "masculine" endeavour to begin with. Our great-grandfathers are probably turning in their graves as we should be fighting over politics and sport; just like regular fellows.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

^Yes, the false dichotomy between "manly" and feminine scents gets rather tiring; if you love it, wear it, and don't give a darn whether you smell masculine or feminine (which are not only stereotypes, but nobody can agree where one begins and the other ends.)

I would advice to our more conservative forum members, that usually pay mind to masculinity/femininity in their fragrance, to expand your fragrantic horizons, and take a bit more "risks" for the sakes of the art of perfume and just daring to smell good, regardless your audience (although by saying this I am not saying you are "wrong" in having these values, to be sure.)

To my nose, I've never sniffed anything truly "feminine" in Dior Homme, and I gotta say the "lipstick accord" is there as much as other societal constructs are true (I.E. not there at all.) It seems smelling like a "makeup bag" is a good thing, because Dior Homme is pretty great. IMHO, if one is going to go conservative and respect gender roles in perfume, gourmands are rarely masculine or feminine. To me, most are "unisex", unless a traditionally "feminine" or "masculine" note or two is/are thrown into the equation and made prominent. Both Dior Homme and DHI might be considered "feminine" due to this (lacking the "macho" element), but in fact, both are just perfume, and really unisex. I remember similar complaints against the original; because it supposedly smelled like "lipstick", which it doesn't, it was "too feminine" for many.

A man or a woman that decide to wear these scents will probably smell just as beautiful, and there's nothing wrong with that. Smelling great is a good thing, regardless gender.

And finally (and off-topic), since these scents were mentioned on the thread, I wanted to add that both Dior Homme and L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme are wonderful scents in their own right, so if you don't have the money to spare (the others can get pricey), you don't really need either "intense" version, which are actually different scents based on the original works. To some perfume wearers, the originals don't necessarily have any less sillage, and wearing them will not diminish your olfactory experience in any way (you won't be "missing out" as much as you'd think, IMHO.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by starace View Post
    And finally (and off-topic), since these scents were mentioned on the thread, I wanted to add that both Dior Homme and L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme are wonderful scents in their own right, so if you don't have the money to spare (the others can get pricey), you don't really need either "intense" version, which are actually different scents based on the original works. To some perfume wearers, the originals don't necessarily have any less sillage, and wearing them will not diminish your olfactory experience in any way (you won't be "missing out" as much as you'd think, IMHO.)
    Totally. The regular versions on these two are amazing scents. They led me into the intense versions, and I actually respect them just as much. I think that some people would even accuse the regular versions of having *more* sillage and projection.

Agreed with above. I do get slightly better sillage with vintage dh over vintage dhi although neither are lacking by any means

No matter how the fanboys spin it, DHI is most definitely feminine, not in a good way either.

If smelling "feminine" is what it takes to smell really good and out of the ordinary, then I shall smell "feminine".

imo dhi is hands down the best scent for going out. Also good for formal events. And what comes to a feminine vibe i've heard women prefer scents that smell a bit feminine to those that are super masculine

After reading all of that, I have to say I never pick up lipstick smell.... ever.

And as for people who do, I'd say it's like wearing pink. You either will or you won't especially depending if you lay gender bias on something peripheral. Usually the men to do it, are really comfortable within themselves to give it a go.

misposted

I have to say I've done an amazing and surprising 180 turn with DH and DHI. From finding them repulsive to finding them addictive.
    I'm a convert, apparently!
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Not this guy again. It's a great scent, and contrary to your belief many women love it.
    Ibought it for my husband, and the lipstick initially i found a little suprising, but i love it on him. It makes me want to lick him. There. I said it

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I think it's a great scent especially the vintage version. Vanille & Coco goodness that lasts twelve hours and it makes a excellent evening scent with its romantic vibe. With the vintage the lipstick note is only at the start and disappears quickly.
    agree
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Reformulation of both are great as well, with minimal differences compared to the vintage formulas...

5 DHI threads on the same day...something must be wrong!
    I only own DHS, and love the stuff. Elegant and casual but also formal, just my kind of scent. As for DHI, I'll try a decant of the stuff, but I am not dropping $100-$300 on a bottle.

Not this guy again. It's a great scent, and contrary to your belief many women love it.
    This...Women love it I get a lot of complements and my gf hates it

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    It's because lucentertainment dug all of the old DHI threads up from the grave to spam them with posts about bottles he has for sale.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Dior Homme Intense, like L.I.D.G.E., is on my top ten list. They are both unique, well made, complex fragrances in their own right. DHI is not as widely available because it is a Dior limited edition fragrance. It is in no way banned in the U.S.A. Both fragrances deserve to be respected and both scents are appreciated and loved by many.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    I only own DHS, and love the stuff. Elegant and casual but also formal, just my kind of scent. As for DHI, I'll try a decant of the stuff, but I am not dropping $100-$300 on a bottle.
    It doesn't cost nearly that much, unless you want vintage. I bought 3.4 oz of DHI from Dior Homme NYC store (by phone) for $72 a few months ago.

DHI is a panty dropper!

I don't really get any make up smell from DHI. I do get a prominant play-do vibe from it though. Also I don't get any powderyness from it at all.

Basenotes Member

Amazing smell but I also get this feminine vibe. I'd rather smell this on girls!

I tried DH on a testing strip and grimaced immediately. I don't have a problem with the association with women; I just don't like the smell of lipstick. It's iris mixed with a waxy, plasticine smell.

I'm surprised it is so well-reviewed on BN given the large numbers of people who don't care for it.

I've never understood the supposed lipstick thing. I don't get that at all.

Beautiful scent.

I don't get why people think that DH and DHI smells feminine at ALL. I swear, some of you guys must have smelled a hell of a lot more makeup in your life than I have because I've never understood the association.

And re: the "feminine scents are for gay guys" bullshit, I have never heard anything more ridiculous. Why would a man who is attracted to men generally prefer something that's feminine? It doesn't even make any kind of sense. People like whatever fragrances they like, feminine or masculine, whether they're gay/straight/bi/male/female/whatever.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Izzie View Post
    I don't get why people think that DH and DHI smells feminine at ALL. I swear, some of you guys must have smelled a hell of a lot more makeup in your life than I have because I've never understood the association.

And re: the "feminine scents are for gay guys" bullshit, I have never heard anything more ridiculous. Why would a man who is attracted to men generally prefer something that's feminine? It doesn't even make any kind of sense. People like whatever fragrances they like, feminine or masculine, whether they're gay/straight/bi/male/female/whatever.
    Aren't most fragrances made with the purpose of attracting the opposite sex? This is the whole marketing strategy behind most fragrances. According to this, men are supposed to like feminine scents and vice versa. Should I wear i.e. Chanel Coco Mademoiselle because I like it? No way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Why would you blind buy something that "many say" smells like something you wouldn't like, and then moan about it when you don't like it? Dude, don't do that. It makes you look like a shmuck. And your gay-cluelessness is laughable.
    Just what I was thinking.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Quote Originally Posted by Nafi View Post
    Aren't most fragrances made with the purpose of attracting the opposite sex? This is the whole marketing strategy behind most fragrances. According to this, men are supposed to like feminine scents and vice versa. Should I wear i.e. Chanel Coco Mademoiselle because I like it? No way.
    No, just no. By that logic, how would a man or woman ever pick out a scent for themselves?

Basenotes Member

No, just no. By that logic, how would a man or woman ever pick out a scent for themselves?
    I'm trying to say that the fact that one likes a fragrance doesn't mean that he should actually wear it. Why the hell would I, being a man, wear an extremely feminine scent? Doesn't make sense to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Nafi View Post
    And marketing is the Holy Grail of truth?

Many MANY fragrances wouldn't fall into an obvious masculine or feminine category if it weren't for marketing. This very thread is made about a fragrance that some people find too feminine, yet it is marketed as a masculine. Soooo, your own logic kind of fails you there. Back in the 4711 era of fragrances there wasn't such a thing as masculine or feminine scents. Most were unisex. Old Spice, one of the masculine staple fragrances, was originally marketed to women.

And I don't think fragrances are made to attract the opposite sex, I think they're marketed to a crowd that desperately wants to believe that if you spray yourself a few times with perfume, you'll automatically be irresistible.

And sure, if you want to wear Coco Mademoiselle then go for it. 'Mademoiselle' is just a word. It's not going to make you a woman. Or gay. Or feminine, since that is apparently the worst possible thing a man could ever be.

Quote Originally Posted by dagawami View Post
    I tried DH on a testing strip and grimaced immediately. I don't have a problem with the association with women; I just don't like the smell of lipstick. It's iris mixed with a waxy, plasticine smell.

I'm surprised it is so well-reviewed on BN given the large numbers of people who don't care for it.
    Agreed. It's a particularly bad scent that's very true. Those over the top reviews look extremely suspicious! but this is the internet...Stealth marketing/shilling is my theory.

You shouldn't judge a fragrance from a testing strip or by its top notes. The right way to test a fragrance is by letting it develop on your skin and smell its sillage/scent cloud (not by sticking your nose where you sprayed it), just like how other people would smell it on you.

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    You shouldn't judge a fragrance from a testing strip or by its top notes. The right way to test a fragrance is by letting it develop on your skin and smell its sillage/scent cloud (not by sticking your nose where you sprayed it), just like how other people would smell it on you.
    I know that, of course, but I only have so much real estate on my arms and I had already sprayed other fragrances on them. I do, however, intend to give it a skin test the next time I get the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by pradag View Post
    dhi is magical...
    I sprayed it on my receding hairline, now i have fabio hair and got laid
    had a bad breakout on my forehead, sprayed some there and skin turned baby butt smooth then got laid
    tried a daily regiment of 2 sprays to each ankle for 1 week and i grew 2 inches in height to get laid once again
    accidentally oversprayed my torso but noticed my body was tightening up.. Instant abs and pecs. I now have the body of an underwear model. Oh and i got laid.
    laid to rest? Doh, just realised when this thread started, I'm going to be late for my own...

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Own DHI and LIDGE. Both are quality, well made masterpieces. Both will always be a part of my accessories wardrobe.

Agreed with senore01 These two are amongst my faves too! Will always be part of my collection. Most colognes and perfumes can go either way, but I agree like some, if you like something and it smells beautiful, who should care? You are going to be the one to wear it and deal with the compliments or those who may be put off with it. Wear what you feel, when you feel

Those miracle powers aside, I prefer the vintage one.

You should really give it a more of a shot. The first time i smelled it was on a test strip as well. Its different on your skin or clothing in my opinion.

Maybe get a sample just so you can say you actually wore it and tried it.

Same thing happened to me recently with Voyage d'Hermes. Its smells very unisex on a card. But on my skin, nothing unisex about it.

Becomes even worse smelling, if thats possible! on the drydown. After that glue factory opening, you get that horrid sickly cheap talcum powder stink. Awfull frag.

Love both Dior Homme and Intense. Holy grail.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Wear it. Embrace it. Intoxicate yourself with it. Love it. Become one with Dior Homme Intense.

Extremely apt thread title. Blind buyers beware! dhi was an insult to my skin, gave it away to someone who didnt know any better

I'm giving this my first wearing - definitely picking up the lipstick vibe. I may have to solicit opinions at the office (one woman in particular tends to pick up on my frags and gives her approval/disapproval - she really liked Guerlain Heritage so she has taste), but even with that vibe, I'm not seeing this as a very feminine fragrance.

I'm not sure whether I like this better than LIDGE which got a wearing yesterday. They are different but both are very good.

So I got my first 50ml of DHI today. A friend got it for me. I really value everyones option on this site so I was shocked when I finally got to put it on. Perhaps a bad bottle or something but I thought this was terrible. Super dumper powerdy and then that heavy lipstick some people mentioned. I was really shocked about how bad it was. I noticed the batch number was 3Q01. Perhaps its my skin or my noise but even the girl who got if for me thought it was really bad. Very strange! Anyway will put it away for a while and try again to see if it grows on me.

Quote Originally Posted by themoogle View Post
    Well, in LA, 100% people would think you're gay if you wore DHI. I live here and know the culture.

LIDGE blows DHI out of the ballpark, it is decidedly masculine and authoritative.

Just telling the truth
    I don't think the fragrance to wear makes the slightest difference.

DHI blows LIDGE out of the water.

Dior Homme is THE true masterpiece my opinion. It was game-changing. Dior Homme Intense, beautiful as it is, would not even exist without its forebear.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky2beat View Post
    So I got my first 50ml of DHI today. A friend got it for me. I really value everyones option on this site so I was shocked when I finally got to put it on. Perhaps a bad bottle or something but I thought this was terrible. Super dumper powerdy and then that heavy lipstick some people mentioned. I was really shocked about how bad it was. I noticed the batch number was 3Q01. Perhaps its my skin or my noise but even the girl who got if for me thought it was really bad. Very strange! Anyway will put it away for a while and try again to see if it grows on me.
    Any vanilla?
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Maybe you just don't like DHI?? Just because something is heavily praised on here doesn't mean *you* will like it!

:/ people don't even try to get past the make-up phase

Quote Originally Posted by Aiona View Post
    Any vanilla?
    Not a hint of vanilla. I really think I've got a dud bottle of something. Was even considering sending it back to Dior It was picked up in London duty free so cant exchange as I live in Norway. Happy to so a swap with someone

that damn 2013 batch!

Basenotes Plus

Smells like a lady's bag though ..... is that a nice scent ?
    NO!!! It's horrid. I really do not get why guys like this scent. Of the thousands of fragrances I've tested in my life, this one stands out as the epitome of "old lady lipstick purse", or "80's era beauty counter" scent - with Big Sexy Hair hairspray, etc. I know there are plenty of people who claim they "like" this, but honestly I have to wonder if they really like it or just have been conditioned by marketing and hype to like it because it's an "in" fragrance, or a fragrance women love (see explanation below).

For cross dressers maybe, but why would a man want to smell like that ? I think if you're straight and wear it you'd get hit on by gay guys (not that there's anything wrong with being gay, just it WOULD attract gay men)
    As far as I agree with the first paragraph of your post, this is where you not only crossed the line in stupid and unsubstantiated stereotyping, but also have no idea what you speak of. I'd never in a bazillion years hit on a guy if he wore DHI. And if my man ever bought DHI, that would be grounds for divorce (if he didn't immediately dispose of the bottle). I don't like lady parts, lady lipstick, lady purses, lady hairspray, and would definitely not be attracted to a guy smelling like an old lady with big powder & lipstick purse. On the contrary, my fragrance collection leans heavily on strong masculine scents, leathers, ouds, woods, frankincense, etc. None of that flowery synthetic lipstick powder fluff that is predominant in feminine-leaning fragrances. And of "all the gays" I know, not a single one of them wears DHI or likes fragrances leaning this heavily to the feminine side of the spectrum. It's purely hetro scent (from what I gather) that simply appeals to women since they are familiar with the general vibe (lipstick, powder, the insides of a lady purse, etc) and by association to women this is an agreeable scent and they don't mind smelling it - whether in their purses, or on their significant others.

I spoke with my favorite SA at a local Nordstroms a while back and we had a discussion on "what's popular and why", and she was telling me about all the fragrances on the shelf in terms of top sellers, top-10, and who buys what. Interestingly, she mentioned that 95% of the time it's the women that buy fragrances for their boyfriends or husbands, hence why in the "straight world" most of the guys end up with rather feminine fragrances - because WOMEN are choosing them. In the "gay world" it's completely opposite, 95-100% fragrance purchases are made by guys for themselves, so they are the ones shopping and sniffing and choosing what they like, and their choices tend to be more on the masculine side. This was not a scientific study of course, but it does make perfect sense - I know this explains exactly how I or my friends shop for fragrances, vs how my straight friends end up with fragrances in their own collections. So to counter your argument - I'd have to venture an educated guess that most gay men wear more masculine fragrances, whereas DHI and similar frags are bought for, and worn by, mostly straight men. Note I'm not saying "all" or "100%" as we all know there are always exceptions to every rule and every study. I just don't think DHI is "for gay men" or that it would attract gay men - I think it's quite the opposite.

Wearing DHI is like wearing a pink shirt.
    Maybe theres nothing wrong with that,
    but its like wearing a bright pink shirt,
    you should know how to carry yourself
    off while wearing this, as a matter of fact,
    that applies to every fragrance.

Not a hint of vanilla. I really think I've got a dud bottle of something. Was even considering sending it back to Dior It was picked up in London duty free so cant exchange as I live in Norway. Happy to so a swap with someone
    Aw, well, shucks. I probably wouldn't like it then. I am so vanilla. But, in another thread, people tell me it's not supposed to have vanilla, so then why would I smell vanilla in it? If that's what it was, that is. It was some guy at the museum in L.A. that's next to the Space Shuttle. I almost curious enough to ask you to swap with me, but I doubt I'd have anything you'd want. Message me with your likes/dislikes. Mebbe I can dig something up. I'm moving anyway, so I'm trying my level best to "dump" my stuff!!!!!!! Where I'm moving, I think I can find more fumes than you can shake a stick at.
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe