Code of Conduct

Default TF Grey Vetiver v Givenchy Vetyver

Just tried Mr Fords concoction. Very nice, I have to say. Light and fresh, I could see that filling a summertime hole in my little collection. But when I was reading up on it, I saw a lot of suggestions that perhaps Givenchy Vetyver might be a better buy. I'm also interested in staying away from the Iso E Super in future purchases. Between the TdH and Encre Noire, I'm starting to get a bit Iso'd out. I understand that Grey Vetiver makes liberal use of that chemical.

So far I have been unable to find any real world Givenchy Vetiver to get my nose around. People were saying that its hard to find and I'm starting to think they might be right. I even had one SA telling me that I was talking about Guerlain, not Givenchy. However, I've found it on the internet at a price where I could be talked into a blind buy. But I'd need a bit of persuading. I'd be particularly interested in hearing from anybody with experience of both these juices. Of course, any reasons why I shouldn't buy GV would be helpful as well. And then there's the things I don't know that I don't know, as a certain secretary of defence once said.

TIA for any help you can give me.

Sur la Plage

Default Re: TF Grey Vetiver v Givenchy Vetyver

I love vetiver fragrances, and own many. I would rank Givenchy at the top of my list of vetivers.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I think Grey Vetiver is more suitable for a younger man. Guerlain has that very 'vintage' feel to it, which I don't think would suit a younger man as much.

They're both absolute classics, but I prefer Grey Vetiver as it's a little bit more modern.

Banned

I find Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford to be mediocre at best.

I'd look elsewhere for a superior, vetiver fragrance. And, in that regard, do try:

Sel de Vetiver by Different Company - Upon application, one is treated to a refreshing mixture of tangy grapefruit commingling with the mild spiciness of cardamon. A vetiver undercurrent imparts its reedy and grassy facets, and carries the almost airy opening to its metamorphic heart. Here, parsley-like liveche imparts its celery-like and faintly anise facets and interplays with the cardamon to foster a medicinal and salty illusion, while geranium add its lemony and slightly peppery, herbaceous quality. And, a creamy floralcy from ylang-ylang flutters about the fragrant, rooty and woody aspects of a pronounced vetiver. Transitioning to the comforting base, iris with its violet-like and powdery character interplays with a musty, yet peppery, earthiness from patchouli. Salicylates impart a faint odor of sunbathing lotion, while the smoky aspect of the vetiver now comes into its own. A mellow drydown ensues. This somewhat light composition have average projection and longevity.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cosgrove View Post
    I think Grey Vetiver is more suitable for a younger man. Guerlain has that very 'vintage' feel to it, which I don't think would suit a younger man as much.

They're both absolute classics, but I prefer Grey Vetiver as it's a little bit more modern.
    The OP is asking about Givenchy Vetyver.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Damn, my bad. Never tried Givenchy's, sorry.

Givenchy Vetyver is a wonderful fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I love vetiver fragrances, and own many. I would rank Givenchy at the top of my list of vetivers.
    Same here...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Givenchy Vetyver is certainly getting some high praise. Very very tempted to blind buy this as some of my favourite fragrances are vetivers.

Is it sufficiently different to Guerlain's, Tom Ford's, Frederic Malle's and Creed's (both) to be a worthwhile purchase?

They're very different. The TF is sharp due to the citrus from the grapefruit and solemn thanks to the smoky notes. The Givenchy is nutty, mellow and soft. Think of the TF as a firm handshake from a colleague and the Givenchy as a warm hug from an old ex-lover where the breakup was mutual and rendered no hard feelings.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anť View Post
    Givenchy Vetyver is certainly getting some high praise. Very very tempted to blind buy this as some of my favourite fragrances are vetivers.

Is it sufficiently different to Guerlain's, Tom Ford's, Frederic Malle's and Creed's (both) to be a worthwhile purchase?
    If Vetiver is a preferred note, them the Givenchy is a must. Worst case you'd be able to swap/sell it on here swiftly. It's very liquid. Hell I'd prolly take it as a backup.

There is no relation to Guerlain's Vetiver nor Tom Ford. But imagine the Frederic Malle , coincidentally my SotEvening, less intense with a lot of nuttiness added to it.

for swap/sale:

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Think of the TF as a firm handshake from a colleague and the Givenchy as a warm hug from an old ex-lover where the breakup was mutual and rendered no hard feelings.
    Love this!

Grey Vetiver has poor sillage and longevity on my skin. I would go Guerlain Vetiver or even Terre D'Hermes....after the drydown of TdH and the orange zest passes, I get alot of vetiver on my skin.

Sur la Plage

Givenchy > Guerlain > Tom Ford >>>>>>>>>>> Malle >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Creed

Well, I will go against the grain here...I like Grey Vetiver better than Givenchy. Gasp. I like TF's barbershop quality, and honestly I find Givenchy a bit a bit bland.

But really, neither are at the top of my list along with Guerlain Vetiver, Sel de Vetiver and Sycomore.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Thanx, fellas. Some food for thought in those replies. Sel de Vetiver looks interesting but at $175 for 50 ml its probably not gonna happen. If I can find it cheaper, it might work for me. I'm also having trouble sourcing Sycomore and Frederick Malle here. I quite like the Guerlain take, but the tobacco makes it less my idea of a summertime scent that's not another aquatic. In that respect, blandness might not be a completely bad thing. I also feel I have a better tobacco scent with Aramis Havana. Terre d'Hermes I know and love and wear a lot. Sadly, the more I wear it, the less I smell it. From reading on here, I understand the Iso E Super might be the culprit there. My Encre Noire is also slipping off the olfactory radar a bit, lately.

Its been helpful so far. Good to get some head to head opinions. And I appreciate people taking the time to spell out the thinking behind the recommendations. Hopefully some more people will still wade in.

Thank you all again.

Haven't tried the Givenchy yet, but the TF is a vetiver for people that don't like true vetiver. It's a modern, clean, soapy scent and isn't really heavy on the vetiver note. Even so, I do like the TF.

I'm also a fan of Vetivers and Givenchy is a great one.

$75 at Givenchy 3.3oz. & can be found here:

http://www.givenchybeauty.com/mensfr...-brand-vetyver

I have a vintage bottle of Givenchy's Eau de vetiver. I'd dare to say it is a very honest rendition of vetiver essential oil, however, deprived of the root's crass accords: Carven's vintage is, in this sense, bolder.

As to Tom Ford's, sorry, I did not have the chance of trying it.
    Last edited by Pollux; 13th August 2012 at 12:14 AM.

Givenchy Vetyver.

Well I bought this, off the strength of praise for it on this thread.

To my uninitiated nose it does compare similarly to Guerlain's offering. Certainly more than any of the other vetivers that I have.

I've only been wearing it for half an hour, so will be interesting to see if it develops much.

Austere - did you go for it in the end? he store I bought it from was in Australia as it happens! Seemed to only be about 2 places that sold it online.

I find Givenchy Vetiver too smokey for my taste. I prefer Grey Vetiver.

Austere - did you go for it in the end? he store I bought it from was in Australia as it happens! Seemed to only be about 2 places that sold it online.
    Not yet. I found the Perfume Court online where I can get some samples. I figure I'll wait and give it a good wearing before I decide. Its possible I might end up with both, if the Givenchy is good but not as fresh and summery as the Tom Ford.

So far in my rather limited online experience, most places not in Oz tend to charge an arm an a leg for postage to here. But there are some stores based here that have fairly wide selections.

I have tried both and I prefer Givenchy.

Givenchy is quite a unique take on vetiver. They mix it with coriander which is in there quite prominently. It blends very well and I would say that Givenchy is the better of the two by miles. Tom Ford's is way too synthetic for me... and no it's not because of the ISO E!!

My overall favourite vetiver is Sycomore, but I too like Terre d' Hermes, which has a super-slick dry-down in it's own way, just like Sycomore.