Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1

    Default Fragrance shopping in NYC

    Visiting Manhattan soon...Where are some good places for fragrance shopping?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Fragrance shopping in NYC

    BLOOMINGDALES &
    Time Square

  3. #3
    Dependent rubegon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    War of the Roses
    Posts
    2,188

    Default Re: Fragrance shopping in NYC

    CB I Hate Perfume is in Brooklyn. MiN is in NoLiTa (I think that's what it's called) - they have a nice selection of niche and traditional lines, from Montal to Penhaligons, ELDO, etc. and they have C.Howards violet gum and mints at the checkout counter.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

  4. #4
    Basenotes Plus
    PalmBeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    3,011

    Default Re: Fragrance shopping in NYC

    Don't miss Barney's and Bergdorf's.

  5. #5
    Basenotes Plus
    senore01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NEW YORK CITY
    Posts
    3,854
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Fragrance shopping in NYC

    Creed Boutique in Lexington Avenue, N.Y.C.

  6. #6
    Dependent del's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6,173
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Fragrance shopping in NYC

    The old New York, New York thread here is a very informative reference when visiting NYC.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Fragrance shopping in NYC

    Thanks for the advice!

  8. #8
    Basenotes Institution 30 Roses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    11,553
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Fragrance shopping in NYC

    MiN New York: lots of niche fragrances listed on their website
    https://minnewyork.com/
    map: http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...ed=0CDUQ_BIwBw

    Bergdorf-Goodman: (perfumes on lower level-- including JAR boutique and many (but not all) Creed fragrances. A few Lutens. Nice Guerlain counter. Jo Malones, too.
    754 West 58th Street New York, NY 10019
    (212) 753-7300
    map: http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...ed=0CCsQ_BIwAA

    Creed is uptown from those:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...ed=0CCEQ_BIwAA

    To these I will add:

    Henri Bendel
    one block south of B-G on 5th Avenue is Henri Bendel. Upper level, lots of niche and full L'Artisan boutique
    map: http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...ed=0CBgQ_BIwAw

    Barney's-- niche, including all the Malles and Le Labo, many Lutens , TDC and others, see on lower level:
    map: http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...ed=0CCYQ_BIwAA

    Hermès is practically across the street from Barney:
    map: http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...ed=0CCQQ_BIwAw

    Aedes de Venustas: downtown, in Greenwich village-- take subway to get there.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...ed=0CBcQ_BIwAA

    C.O.Bigelow is diagonally across from Aedes:
    map: http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...ed=0CAgQ_BIwAA

    The thing about shopping in NYC is that shops close earlier than stores do where we live. Many stores close at 5:30, 6 or 7 p.m. Aedes opens at noon and stays open until 8. So plan your shopping times accordingly.

    If time allows it's fun to visit the CB I Hate Perfume Gallery:
    http://www.cbihateperfume.com/gallery.html
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 15th August 2012 at 04:29 PM.

  9. #9
    Dependent del's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6,173
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Fragrance shopping in NYC

    30 Roses
    Last edited by del; 15th August 2012 at 04:41 PM.

  10. #10
    Basenotes Institution 30 Roses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    11,553
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Fragrance shopping in NYC

    Thanks, del

    Also, if you are loaded with spare time and if the Krigler fragrances as described on their website interest you, there is a Krigler boutique in the Plaza Hotel, which is across from B-G and adjacent to Central Park. But the fragrances are all costly. They let you test them all, and also sell samples (.7ml) for about $7.50 each.

    Krigler:
    website: http://krigler.com/perfumes.html
    map: http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...ed=0CBAQ_BIwAA

    And of course there is Saks, which has a Penhaligon's counter and a Bond No. 9 counter, among others
    http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...ed=0CCoQ_BIwAQ

    Speaking of Bond No. 9, there are Bond No. 9 boutiques in various locations.
    map: http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...91443221158614

    Also there is a Mont Blanc boutique just a block or so south of FAO Schwarz, about 2-3 blocks south of Barneys, on Madison Avenue. In case you wanted to try their few fragrances.
    map: http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...e&ved=0CBgQtgM

    I just thought of one more: Cambridge Chemists, which sells (and has good prices on) Czech & Speake.

    It's pretty close to Barneys and Hermès if you are in that area.

    website​: http://www.pharmacyny.com/default.aspx
    map: http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...ed=0CA8Q_BIwAA
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 15th August 2012 at 05:12 PM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Fragrance shopping in NYC

    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Don't miss Barney's and Bergdorf's.
    I had issue with the latter. I made a phone order and was sent the wrong item. In order for them to send the correct item, my credit card was charged again--even though it was the fault of company--imagine that.

    They don't send pre-paid return shipping labels along with the correct merchandise for the customer's convenience in order to return the incorrect merchandise. Instead, they send their shipper to your door to do a pick-up, but you must be available for a full four-hour window, which restricts what you can do during that time. Then they will ship out using two-day shipping. At first, they offered to do next-day shipping, but said my account would be charged yet again! (I had to insist to get next-day delivery of the proper item.)

    All in all, a huge headache to simply exchange an item sent by their error.

    Yes, mistakes do happen, but their return policy is utterly incomprehensible for a company offering luxury items, as one would expect equally high-end customer service without question.
    Last edited by Primrose; 25th April 2013 at 08:29 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  12. #12
    Basenotes Plus
    PalmBeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    3,011

    Default Re: Fragrance shopping in NYC

    I can understand your frustration, but, I would have no problem with the way they handled it. Like you said, sometimes people can make mistakes.

    I can also understand their position about sending out a replacement without either having the first one come back or charging your card as they did to send out a replacement before the wrong product came back. They are just looking to protect themselves from some of the scum that is out there (not intended in your direction) who would not return the product, even though promised to. If you could have waited a little bit for the return to get back to them, there would have been no need to run your card again.

    When ordering from the store level, they do not send return labels, only if ordered through their online site. I have never received a return label from Neiman's either if ordered that the store level. If I ordered from their online site, a return label has always been sent.

    Everyone has a right to their opinion, but respectfully disagree with you on this one. Personally, I do not see any issue with the way they handled it.

  13. #13
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    75% New York, 25% Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    191

    Default Re: Fragrance shopping in NYC

    Don't forget all of the niche providers on Madison Avenue. That's where I will be on Saturday.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Fragrance shopping in NYC

    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    I can understand your frustration, but, I would have no problem with the way they handled it. Like you said, sometimes people can make mistakes.

    I can also understand their position about sending out a replacement without either having the first one come back or charging your card as they did to send out a replacement before the wrong product came back. They are just looking to protect themselves from some of the scum that is out there (not intended in your direction) who would not return the product, even though promised to. If you could have waited a little bit for the return to get back to them, there would have been no need to run your card again.

    When ordering from the store level, they do not send return labels, only if ordered through their online site. I have never received a return label from Neiman's either if ordered that the store level. If I ordered from their online site, a return label has always been sent.

    Everyone has a right to their opinion, but respectfully disagree with you on this one. Personally, I do not see any issue with the way they handled it.
    To each his own.

    They have my credit card number already. If I did not return the item in a timely manner, THEN they should have charged my card. Easy enough. many companies do this. They send out the replacement with a return label, and ask for the incorrect item to be sent. There is then a window to return the item, after which the customer card will be charged. That is fair and honest.

    A company who gives the customer the benefit of the doubt will always have my business. That said, to be regarded as "scum" (your word) from the first transaction does not cultivate an experience of openness. I thought one is innocent until proved guilty.

    This is a high-end department store, not a discounter. Charging a customer for a company mistake smacks of mercenary, and no one wants to be nickeled-and-dimed.
    Last edited by Primrose; 25th April 2013 at 09:38 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  15. #15
    Basenotes Plus
    PalmBeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    3,011

    Default Re: Fragrance shopping in NYC

    I guess we can agree to disagree. I saw no problem in the way they handled it.

  16. #16
    Basenotes Plus
    JON RODGERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    11,457

    Default Re: Fragrance shopping in NYC

    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I had issue with the latter. I made a phone order and was sent the wrong item. In order for them to send the correct item, my credit card was charged again--even though it was the fault of company--imagine that.

    They don't send pre-paid return shipping labels along with the correct merchandise for the customer's convenience in order to return the incorrect merchandise. Instead, they send their shipper to your door to do a pick-up, but you must be available for a full four-hour window, which restricts what you can do during that time. Then they will ship out using two-day shipping. At first, they offered to do next-day shipping, but said my account would be charged yet again! (I had to insist to get next-day delivery of the proper item.)

    All in all, a huge headache to simply exchange an item sent by their error.

    Yes, mistakes do happen, but their return policy is utterly incomprehensible for a company offering luxury items, as one would expect equally high-end customer service without question.
    Downright shoddy treatment IMHO. To err is human and forgivable, but the circumstances regarding the double charge are completely unacceptable. It is bad enough paying for others incompetence without having aspersions cast on one's character in the process. I'm not surprised you were taken aback.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Fragrance shopping in NYC

    Absolutely, mistakes happen but making the customer pay good money for it (2x shipping costs plus valuable time and nerves) is very wrong. If this is a business standard for orders via boutiques then it's still very wrong. If you read the FAQ on Chanel.com (where you can buy their fragrances too), you'll find that they include a return shipping label with each order - as it is usual business practice. Getting treated so much worse when you shop in a boutique or high end department store, doesn't make sense at all. This sheds a very bad light on their customer service. I certainly would stay clear of ordering via boutiques and department stores because of this.

    - edited in response to Primrose's comment -
    Last edited by Nasenmann; 26th April 2013 at 12:31 AM.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Fragrance shopping in NYC

    Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    Absolutely, mistakes happen but making the customer pay good money for it (2x shipping costs plus valuable time and nerves) is very wrong. If this is a business standard for orders via boutiques then it's still very wrong. If you read the FAQ on Chanel.com (where you can buy their fragrances too), you'll find that they actually include a return shipping label with each order - as it is usual business practice. Getting treated so much worse when you shop in their boutiques, doesn't make sense at all. This sheds a very bad light on their customer service.
    Thank you for agreeing that the double-charge was wrong. This was at the department store counter, and a high-end one at that.
    Last edited by Primrose; 26th April 2013 at 12:54 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Fragrance shopping in NYC

    http://ny.racked.com/tags/bleecker-street

    Annick Goutal will be opening a boutique soon at 397 Bleeker Street, NYC

  20. #20
    Ursula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Flushing,NY/USA
    Posts
    727
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Fragrance shopping in NYC

    The most charming brick and mortar store located in SoHo is Osswald. Bring your wallet. I can only insert the link to the website, but click on "About" and there are the opening hours and location.

    http://www.osswaldnyc.com/amouage.html#
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

  21. #21
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    82,571

    Default Re: Fragrance shopping in NYC

    Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    http://ny.racked.com/tags/bleecker-street

    Annick Goutal will be opening a boutique soon at 397 Bleeker Street, NYC
    Thanks for the info on this.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  22. #22
    Basenotes Member Hat and Beard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: Fragrance shopping in NYC

    So after stopping by Henri Bendel in Manhattan today I was greeted with both good news and bad news. Bad news is that Henri Bendel will no longer be carrying fragrances after the end of July (2014), but the good news is that they are currently offering 40% off what they have left. They still have a lot of great scents left. Some houses I remember off the top of my head are:

    -Jovoy
    -Agonist
    -Histoires de Parfums
    -Lubin
    -So Oud
    -Annick Goutal
    -Memoire Liquide
    -Robert Piguet
    -Boadicea The Victorious
    -L'Artisan Parfumeur
    -Blood Concept
    -CB I Hate Perfume
    -Le Parfum D'Interdits
    -Maria Candida Gentile
    -Escentric Molecules
    -Tauer
    -Eight and Bob
    -Joya
    -Jardins D'ecrivains
    -Maison Dorin
    -Undergreen
    -Caron
    -Perris Monte Carlo
    -The Vagabond Prince

    ...and a few more. They are also still selling the Illuminum line of fragrances as well, but none of those are marked down. The sales representative said the reason they are discontinuing "third party" fragrances is that Henri Bendel is going to be refocusing it's efforts on it's own line of fragrances in the future. Hope some people can take advantage of this awesome sale! I picked up a bottle of Jovoy: Private Label and Agonist: Black Amber before I left. Happy Shopping!
    Last edited by Hat and Beard; 27th June 2014 at 11:57 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Shopping Spree for Fragrance
    By weylin in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 26th August 2011, 04:58 PM
  2. Fragrance shopping in Nantes?
    By Mervin in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21st March 2011, 10:42 AM
  3. Budapest Fragrance Shopping
    By Kevin Guyer in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 22nd November 2009, 02:40 AM
  4. Montales + CDG Fragrance Shopping
    By nsamadi in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 30th August 2006, 03:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000