Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie

Default Am I the only one not smelling my own perfume if I apply on my neck?

As the title says - I'm wondering if I'm pretty much alone in not really detecting much.

I tend to apply to pulse points on my neck, maybe a spray to the chest - but I still don't detect much of it. I do detect it when I apply to my wrist and put it really close to my nose.

Could be my smelling is just - well - crap. Others can pick up my perfumes just fine, and I'm glad, but I'd still like to pick up more myself.

Anyone else with the same problem?

Default Re: Am I the only one not smelling my own perfume if I apply on my neck?

If others are picking it up it's probably just olfactory fatigue - you get used to the smell and your brain starts to tune it out. You might try spraying on your wrists as well so that it's easier to try and smell it.

Default Re: Am I the only one not smelling my own perfume if I apply on my neck?

Neck spraying always wipes my nose out - not worth it for me; a waste of juice.

The very best place I know is my stomach. Wafts up under my shirt. Also the upper part of my wrist, as my pulse-point burns off too rapidly.

Basenotes Junkie

Neck is not a waste for me seeing as people really can smell what I'm wearing, but it seems I have to do my wrists to get a real taste for it myself. Not the end of the world - just not very normal.

But yeah, guess it's olfactory fatigue hitting me. It happens with pretty much everything I do on my neck though. I can detect it for a couple of minutes if I'm lucky, then it's gone.

What perfumes do you own and how many are you doing?

for swap/sale:

Try a dab on your earlobes. This works as they are on the same line as your nose.

Basenotes Junkie

I own about 40'ish? A tad more. Check my wardrobe.

I never use the same fragrance twice in a row, so I can't think it's that getting me a fatigue.

Quote Originally Posted by hreple View Post
    I never use the same fragrance twice in a row, so I can't think it's that getting me a fatigue.
    Multiple uses aren't needed for olfactory fatigue - simply wearing a fragrance too close to your nose can render you insensitive to it very quickly.
    Alan

Basenotes Junkie

I can actually remember this happening several years back, when I only had one or two perfumes. I just "lost" them after a minute or so.

I can still smell what's going on when I have the fragrance on my wrist, but I need to get real close, so I'm not sure it's fatigue. At the same time, I can smell - for instance - a friends fragrances pretty far away from him.

Weird ... seems like on me, I have like max five centimeters of smelling-power

The neck and chest are the only two places where I can guarantee myself that I will smell what I apply.

Basenotes Junkie

You'd be surprised how well others can smell your cologne, even when you don't. Happens to me all the time. I think the scent is all but. Gone and then someone will tell me I smell good. Kinda sucks because I waNT TO SMELL MYSELF, but don't want to choke people out doing so.

Basenotes Junkie

Yeah, others can mostly smell me just fine (in a positive context). I just long for something in the line of what hednic is talking about - actually being able to enjoy what you put on your neck and chest. I have to do an extra spray on one of my wrists, and smell it like some creepy person now and then.

This doesn't happen to me very often, but when it does, it's usually because I'm wearing Aventus. I normally wear fragrances for my own pleasure unless I'm going on a date. It kind of sucks because I can hardly detect Aventus after just a few hours. But, I always get a compliment here or there later on even when I can't smell it. That's always pleasantly reassuring.

Jeff

Definitely not the only one. The same phenomenon happened to me ever since my mid to late teens when I started to regularly wear frags and was constantly anxious about one question: "Do I have enough perfume on?".

I bought hugo boss enegise this week, and i applied it at the middle of my neck..and its dispointing..I learn how to apply perfume at internet, then i started to apply at both side of my neck..under the earlobe..Its kind of work ..try it..

Oooh thanks for the tips Sugandaraja- never thought to try those spots!

Olfactory fatigue. Apply behind earlobes.

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Neck spraying always wipes my nose out - not worth it for me; a waste of juice.

The very best place I know is my stomach. Wafts up under my shirt. Also the upper part of my wrist, as my pulse-point burns off too rapidly.
    I agree. Anywhere you spray where you can smell it constantly will produce olfactory fatigue. The continuous smelling of a scent is what produces olfactory fatigue. The brain is very good at tuning out background noise, and that's what your fragrance becomes when its always in your nose.

I usually spray into my undershirt, aiming low. I try to get it mid-torso, with some overspray on the inside of the shirt. Sometimes I add a spray to the outside of the shirt, low on the torso. If I'm wearing a suit, I spray the lining of the jacket as well. That way its not as obvious, but you get whiffs of it all day. You may not smell it for a while, but then you turn and reach for something and it wafts up.

In addition to the fact that you will be able to smell your fragrance all day, you get a better idea how you smell to others. Less chance of gassing people inadvertently.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I have to do the neck and the wrists in order for both I am others to smell. I am often the victim of olfactory fatigue.

any time i put a fragrance on, i make sure i get at least one good spray on the wrist so i can smell it as i please

Your body just phases it out eventually.
    I sprayed Dunhill Desire Red today. It's a fairly nice scent but I feel as if it dies down easily.
    3-4 hours later, I was standing in a hall, my friend walked in and asked "What's that smell?" I mentioned it could have been the popcorn, but she said it was not.
    She was more than likely smelling the Dunhill on my skin. I felt as if it had faded 3 hours earlier, clearly it did not.

I actually find spraying right behind my ears gives me wafts of the fragrance throughout the day when I sit down or headbang (lol). But if I spray it on the two neck arteries or anywhere underneath my jawline, I won't be able to smell the fragrance within an hour, even though a sniff of my wrist confirms it's definitely still there.

Basenotes Junkie

I tried spraying further up my neck today, closer to the ears. And I do now get wafts of the fragrance. It's not much, but more than the neck in general. I have to add I'm clogged up by fever and stuff now though, so my smelling is probably not where it normally is at.

Have to further investigate this weird "spray higher up" thing you guys are talking about. Could be it for me