Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Alcohol-free skincare for reactive, truly sensitive skin!

Someone I know who lives in China and can't seem to find any good products there that are alcohol-free has asked me to find the perfect skincare line for her that I can ship to her, as anything of this nature is scarce or very expensive where she lives.

She needs a product line made for sensitive skin! Lots claim sensitive skin, but apparently she gets hive-like reactions to heavy chemicals and alcohol-containing products and an allergy to topically-applied alcohol has been confirmed by a doctor. One of her favorites is Kiehl's Calendula Herbal Extract Alcohol-Free Toner, but I'm looking for other options, and a whole line in particular.

She seems to be into very natural products and toners and things that fight oil gently ....

I'm trying this Q in a few beauty communities I belong to but thought it might find some answers here (though I'd feel very sorry for any perfumista allergic to topically-applied alcohol).

Thanks to any replies!

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Alcohol-free skincare for reactive, truly sensitive skin!

Thought I had a winner for you with Andalou Naturals but Cetyl alcohol is listed about 10 ingredients down. Otherwise their line has no sulfates, GMOs, petrochemicals, phthalates, parabens, synthetic scent, colors or preservatives.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks for checking anyway, knit at nite! I might look into Andalou for myself.

The biggest problem for this friend is that she can't use anything rich either. So no alcohol and no richness. I might have to read some cosmetic chemistry books or ask a derm student.

Well alcohol free products if not available on stores can be ordered online. So if you are looking for one you can look over internet for more options.

skin care
    Last edited by bettyjones; 20th November 2012 at 07:14 AM. Reason: by mistake
    http://www.imageskincare.com/collections/ageless

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    Thought I had a winner for you with Andalou Naturals but Cetyl alcohol is listed about 10 ingredients down. Otherwise their line has no sulfates, GMOs, petrochemicals, phthalates, parabens, synthetic scent, colors or preservatives.
    Cetyl alcohol is an emulsifier and thus not to be mistaken with alcohol that is usually used to preserve cosmetics. Cetyl alcohol is solid and keeps water and oil together (heat is part of this process). The alcohol that is meant by the op is liquid alcohol that is used instead of parabens - mainly for sensitive skin products. Unfortunately some people with sensitive skin can tolerate paraben but have issues with alcohol and thus those sensitive skin products are even worse than the ordinary ones.

Take a look at the Boscia line. I have dry, sensitive, eczema-prone skin that seems to react to just about everything and I like these:
    MakeUp-BreakUp Cleansing Oil
    Vital Daily Moisture SPF 15 (This one says hydrogenated rapeseed alcohol near the bottom of the list, which could be a problem, though. I tried the new one with antioxidants and SPF 30 and it was terrible.)
    Restorative Night Moisture Cream

Double-check behind me regarding the ingredients before making the recommendation, just to be sure. The list is long for each one, but I think the only alcohol listed in any of them is the one in the daytime moisturizer.