Code of Conduct

Default Can anyone speak to Jacomo de Jacomo new vs. original versions?

I acquired some vintage JdJ recently and it smells like a sample I obtained about 4 years ago, which in retrospect was also likely vintage (since I also obtained a sample of Red for Men GBH that was vintage at the same time from the same person). The JdJ I've experienced dries down to a soft, nicely blended oriental, sort of like a less floral, weaker version of the women's Opium, natural smelling and pleasant. Does the latest version of JdJ smell like that? Does it have "synthetic" qualities?

Default Re: Can anyone speak to Jacomo de Jacomo new vs. original versions?

What's out there now smells the same to me as the original release which is what I own.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    What's out there now smells the same to me as the original release which is what I own.
    Why am I not surprised? LOL.

I had the original and the current version. First off the current version is a big improvement on the bottle the orignal was really cheap looking and the cap broke off. The only difference is that the clove note has been greatly toned down in the reformulated version but sillage and longevity are on the money same. Both start off strong when first sprayed and then settle close to the skin and linger for hours.

I own and love JDJ; it was one of my very first scents back in the early 80´s.
    Well, the recent formulation got a sharp opening, a half life of about 20 min and lacks that adorable, sweetish-green, real oakmoss base of the original. That said, it´s ok.

I much prefer the first formulation:

Quote Originally Posted by easyfish View Post
    I much prefer the first formulation:
    Easyfish are you saying both of these bottles represent the first formulation?
    For those about to stink, I salute you!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Stinky View Post
    Easyfish are you saying both of these bottles represent the first formulation?
    Hey, Thanks, you´re right; funny pic, sorry!
    The box on the left shows the design of the first formulation, the bottle on the right is the interim flacon.

The box pictured has that "e" symbol, which I think only was used from the early/mid 1990s.

Quote Originally Posted by easyfish View Post
    ...the recent formulation got a sharp opening, a half life of about 20 min and lacks that adorable, sweetish-green, real oakmoss base of the original. That said, it´s ok...

The vintage has probably one of the best openings in perfumedom. After drydown they are very similar with the nod going to the vintage. The reform. has no opening like the vintage, mostly linear, IMO.

I have a mint bottle of the vintage EdT and the opening is breathtaking. I would damn near kill to find a frag that could maintain this opening scent for hours. A secret is to vigorously shake the bottle before use. It really helps, IMO.

Basenotes Plus

Thank you for this thread! I have come back to Jacomo de Jacomo. I love the smoky cloves in the dry down of the current juice and sharp spices with the leather. True - the current juice has only light oakmoss in it.

A quick point to concur with - my friend, Boge - I like to shake bottles of virtually all colognes to integrate the stagnant juice with oxygen. Works here and for many other deep scents. I find it virtually eliminates the dankness that some scents can get while sitting on a dark, cool shelf for a while...notes integrate and the scent reveals its true depth.

I am currently looking at getting a bottle of Vintage Jacomo de Jacomo. Current really isn't bad at all. The opening is a bit harsh but it settles well into a nice skin scent on the dry down. Not loud, but I swear there are ashes on my skin where I spray this - it is so smoky. I liken the aroma to a Djarum clove cigarette...with a plume of smoke drifting up. So unique.

Cheers,

ericrico
    Last edited by ericrico; 15th March 2013 at 04:20 PM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

One of my first favorite frags from the '80's. I got into it because my oldest brother wore it. I have a bottle that is NOT the LATEST, but is from about 2004 or so. (I have tried later versions; they seem quite the same) To me, it smells the same as I remember with ONE exception: The drydown now has a soft, woodsy, vanilla-esque component to it. I dunno, maybe it's my skin and my pH is not the same as 20 plus years ago. It is still an absolute fave and an unquestionable go-to scent when I want something that is steeped in the impression of gutsy manliness.

I have the vintage version of this fragrance and it still smells like it did way back when.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Perfumes and colognes are the most interesting things mankind has ever created.