Code of Conduct

Default I finally smell the civet in Kouros for the first time after many wears

Today, i finally smell the civet in kouros after many wears... i guess i never let it dry down that far, today i wore it all day and toward the end of the end of the day i got the civet similar to what you get in musc koublai khan but not as strong. It's that dirty but awesome civet smell... some may refer it to the bad breath smell...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Default Re: I finally smell the civet in Kouros for the first time after many wears

I want to try kouros but the civet note worries me. Not sure if its civet that I smell in guerlain vetivers base but I can't stomach it especially on a empty stomach. It smells weird to me like you sprayed perfume on a posum and its been ruuning around doing what its does and comes back and says "take a wiff of me"? I guess it amplifies the smell but I don't like my frags that edgy.
    Last edited by Stayclose; 12th August 2012 at 02:29 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I finally smell the civet in Kouros for the first time after many wears

I didin't notice it either. Just the dirty smell you reffer to, but not a clear civet smell.

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't like edgy scents you might be better off avoiding Kouros, period. The accords some describe as being redolent of a men's locker room (or a public toilet) are essentially a blast of urine. Don't take this as over-the-top criticism from a hater. Many perfumes have urine-like, and even fecal accords, but it's very rare for them to come through as singularly as in Kouros.

Wikipedia says that palm civet ingest coffee and people drink it after they poop it out, that's so funny cause I love coffee but now wouldn't even consider drinking that's stuff (its supose to give it a good aroma). I'll just stick with starbucks thank you very much.

Whatever it is that people get from this fragrance when they smell it, IMO it's still a great one.

I don't care what's in it, but Kouros smells good. You inspired me - this will be my SOTD.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I really like the opening of Kouros. I'm lukewarm on the drydown: it's not good, just okay.

One thing it lacks is wearability. I like to smell Kouros, but I don't want to BE Kouros. I don't want to project that smell onto others, especially at the work place.

It's love-or-hate. Unique, bold, but definitely not for everyone. Sample before you blind buy.

It's so strange to me that you smell the civet for the first time after many wearings. It's all I can think about as soon as I sniff Kouros, that "blast of urine" as Miket puts it. I can't concentrate on any other notes! It's amazing to me that it still sells well in today's market of clean and fresh. Long may it last. I have to admit I've always been too afraid to try it on my skin, perhaps I should take the leap?

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting...I've been meaning to revisit my vial of Kouros after having tried it one or two times a few months ago and having to wash it off. I guess I'm not sure what civet smells like on its own, so I'll have to pay attention when I get around to this.

Guys, the #1 notes are from the honey accord, the #2 is from the civet, the bathroom air freshener accord is from a combination of many of the other aromachemicals. The civet is NOT the "pee note". And yes, there is a pee note-- anytime you have a honey note, it can also be perceived as urinous.

I can really detect the civet note in vintage Kouros Eau de Sport, which is awesome. I do hesitate to wear it much as it seems to my nose that some of the musks in it are of the old, not-quite-good-for-you variety-- though I could be wrong.
    "He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Guys, the #1 notes are from the honey accord, the #2 is from the civet, the bathroom air freshener accord is from a combination of many of the other aromachemicals. The civet is NOT the "pee note". And yes, there is a pee note-- anytime you have a honey note, it can also be perceived as urinous.
    right, but don't forget the sage note! sage AND honey ... now there you've got some pee goin.

couldn't handle the sweet incense of Kouros, but I discovered Paco Rabanne Tenere recently. lots of honey, musk and florals but no civet or incense. i like!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Kouros is one of the scents that I can fully appreciate as a fragrance collector. However, it is not the type of fragrance that I would wear to work or to go out. I think it offends many people. Not that I care much about the opinion of others but I do not want to offend.

Post Thanks / Like

While I trust that many Basenoters have fully tried and worn Kouros, I always maintain many of the urine comments are based on one quick sniff in a store for about 3 minutes. That Kouros opening is the rough part. After a few minutes it's got a nice honeyed dyrdown. People's noses and perceptions vary, and it wouldn't surprise me that some people just don't like it. Between all the comments in here, the mind is pre-set to smell urine, whether you do or not for some people.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'm not sure what civet smells like on its own, so I'll have to pay attention when I get around to this.
    Civet, to be frank, smells like dirty ass. Don't take my word for it as even lovers of the scent will tend to agree that this is the case. It has a clear fecal note on it's own, and is incredibly strong, but when used in perfume it's extremely diluted. Like Ambergris, natural Civet is coveted as much for its use as a stabilising agent as for any olfactory qualities it has, and it can work wonders in many scents when used in that capacity, and tamed by the right bedfellow notes. However in the modern synthetic form its primary purpose (when heavily diluted) appears to be in giving that slightly 'dirty,' edge to some fragrances.

I've experimented with adding civet to some watered down Guerlain's like MDM, and even the modern GG, which in their current form lack the animal bite they once had. Unless you have a pipettor which can reliably be used to transfer the tiniest amounts (a single drop from an eyedropper, regardless of how carefully applied, is far too much and will give anything a heady blast of fecal accords) about the only way to use it is to dip a pin into the civet itself, and then use it to stir through a sizable quantity of juice.

To give an indication of the strength and pungency of this stuff I once spilled a small quantity of synthetic civet onto a very expensive antique desk, and had to cover it with a tarp for some time as nothing could get rid of the fecal aroma after the juice had sunk into the wood grain. The lesson? Be very, very careful if you play with this stuff!

It really isn't for everyone, and there's a definite line in the sand between using it well and making a real olfactory mess. Coriolan, which I adore for it's sublime opening and gorgeous heart, will dry down to the point where little more than the civet can be detected. On skin this isn't much of an issue due to limited longevity especially if you're easy on the trigger, but god help you if you spray the stuff on fabric. It can be truly nauseating, and I really believe this is the reason it was so quickly shelved and reissued as the newer incarnation lacks that nauseating bite in the dry down.

In my experience civet is at its best as a heart note in vintage juice (where the natural stuff is used) i.e., Givenchy Gentleman. The stabilising effect works wonders, and it brings an animalic bite, but as the 'fume dries down to its base it remains in the background, thus ensuring you're never left with that raw-civet fetor. Though with care it can be used as a basenote.

There are no few persons who believe that the loss of natural ambergris and civet, with their incredible stabilising effects, explain the sorry state of much modern perfumery. That said. If you lack any moral qualms natural civet, at least, can be obtained in pure form although it is rather difficult to find. For those with humanitarian concerns I can tell you that prior to it becoming a 'no-no,' civet was generally harvested from the animals in an on-going fashion, by simply scraping the residue from their skin as opposed to removing their musk glands (and consequently killing the animal); is this any more morally troublesome than egg or dairy farming? I cannot personally see what all the fuss is about myself.

To each their own of course. I'm not saying natural civet should be commercially available, but if I can purchase another quantity I'll do so without qualms; the damage (if you're inclined to see it that way) has after all been done already, and it is better than simply throwing the stuff away. I feel the same way about vintage fur.

Between all the comments in here, the mind is pre-set to smell urine, whether you do or not for some people.
    I have nothing against urine notes, or even the eau du poop accord which civet can introduce. In fact I love my animalic scents, and though I missed the boat on Kouros as - in this country - it had a reputation during my youth as something of an open-shirted mid-life-crisis scent. However I was excited to try it when 'cool water,' style scents became the big thing because it seemed like the sort of thing that would be right up my alley. Unfortunately even when I merely uncap the stuff it fairly bowls me over with a bitter public-bathroom smell; I can even detect a slightly chemical tang as of urinal cakes and stale bleach. I agree it does grow more pleasant as it develops, but I have other animalic scents which resemble its drydown and do not require me to suffer through such a brutal opening.

I'm not trying to take anything away from its fans. I've known people who used it and it worked on their skin, and the mere fact that a designer house could produce such an edgy scent which has not been discontinued or tamed by a ruthless reformulation speaks to the fact that there is a little magic in it and even though I would never wear it I find myself comforted by its existence as it's good to know there are people out there using something which flaunts the current vogues with such wanton abandon.

One thing I will say though is it needs a new bottle. That porcelain-white colour does nothing for it's reputation as a scent redolent of an unclean public bathroom. One should never underestimate the suggestive qualities such superficialities can evoke.

One thing I will say is I'm really digging on Body Kouros, although the resemblance is small, it's a great scent, and far more approachable. I would recommend it to anyone. Another possibility which I mean to try when I'm done with my current lot of sampling is to find a good layering scent with a strong opening and little longevity to help tame the pungent opening of Kouros, yet hopefully fade away as the stuff dries down and comes into its own.

Post Thanks / Like

Kouros smells very clean to me. Im not very sensitive to civet.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Miket View Post
    Civet, to be frank, smells like dirty ass.
    I get a very distinct "barnyard" animalic rather than human smell. Synthetic only, never smelled the real stuff.

I have other animalic scents which resemble its drydown and do not require me to suffer through such a brutal opening.
    Yes, that mega-sweet incense opening is straight out of the preschool playroom ... dirty diapers and sweet deodorizer. Blech.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I can only say on thing about Kouros, that civet note is no joke. You either love it or detest it.

I am not sure if it is good or bad news?
    Current TOP 5 from my collection:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    4. Encre Noire
    5. Dior Homme Intense

Post Thanks / Like

There's plenty of civet and gallons of musk, but the most prominent animalic in Kouros has always been costus, which was banned in the late 80's and is now synthetic, as are the civet and musk. Natural costus is the antithesis of clean, "the King Kong of the sanitized world". It's extremely complex, often associated with the smell of wet hair and sebum, but in a complex composition it can manifest in all kinds of ways, adding warmth, complicating other animalics, etc.

In the original 1981 formulation the costus, civet, musk, and possibly ambergris, were most likely natural. I have a couple of bottles of the original juice and it's significantly more realistically animalic. It has that universe of natural, velvety, oozing from the pores texture and smell that often accompanies fragrances full of natural animalics. The stuff is animalic in such a way that it can almost freak you out when you wake up to it after it's been on the back of your hand for a few hours. It's seriously captivating and mesmeric, not as rosy-powdery as the stuff today.
    Last edited by pluran; 13th August 2012 at 06:56 AM.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Natural costus is the antithesis of clean, "the King Kong of the sanitized world". It's extremely complex, often associated with the smell of wet hair and sebum....
    Yeah, and that's exactly how Kouros is supposed to smell. Wet hair and musk.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Miket View Post
    Civet, to be frank, smells like dirty ass. Don't take my word for it as even lovers of the scent will tend to agree that this is the case. It has a clear fecal note on it's own, and is incredibly strong, but when used in perfume it's extremely diluted. Like Ambergris, natural Civet is coveted as much for its use as a stabilising agent as for any olfactory qualities it has, and it can work wonders in many scents when used in that capacity, and tamed by the right bedfellow notes.
    I tend to agree with the foregoing. Civet is harvested from the perineal gland near the anus of the animal of the same name. Its optimal dosage, which is not always the case, yields a pleasant muskiness in perfumes. And, its role as a stabilizing agent is well documented.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Yeah, and that's exactly how Kouros is supposed to smell. Wet hair and musk.
    Whatever Kouros is purported to smell like; it is nonetheless, in reality, a clean and dirty scent.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    Whatever Kouros is purported to smell like; it is nonetheless, in reality, a clean and dirty scent.
    Personally, I don't get much cleanness out of Kouros but I guess wet hair and musk doesn't necessarely means only "dirty"...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Post Thanks / Like

To me Kouros is heavenly incense.

I have a bottle of civet tincture. It is strong stuff. I know the smell of civet. I detect none in Kouros and I just spent $200 bucks on a couple of bottles circa 1993. I have bought and worn more Kouros than any other fragrance.

I don't have costus root...would love to find some, as I have read of it.

Civet is animalic, but I don't get feces...at least not any I have smelled...maybe a somewhat urine like smell. It is a very strong, musky, dirty smell....somewhat akin to BO, for lack of a better analogy. If you want to know what civet smells like, order the tincture from profumo, or get some Ruthvah from the Sorcerer's Apprentice.

I have a 19yr old daughter and when she was a baby I changed many a diaper. I am from the country and know the smell of cows, horses, pigs, chickens....and all the odors that go with them. Kouros reminds me none of any of them. I have always wondered if those who object the most to Kouros are more urban/city as opposed to rural/country.

With all the pansy mens fragrances out there, thank god for Kouros. Civet is a note which needs to be utilized more, it gives fragrances more dimension and character and makes the fragrance sexy. I garner quite a few compliments when I wear Kouros, Ungaro II , Leather Oud from women.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Whatever it is that people get from this fragrance when they smell it, IMO it's still a great one.
    Agree, I grew to love it after sampling it a couple of times. I actually don't find it that shocking as some. MKK...now that's another story.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Recently bought three vintage bottles (one original formulation, one mid-late 80s and one 90s) and absolutely love this fragrance. Looking forward to comparing the original and 80s with the 90s bottle as I believe the latter uses civetone.

The best part? I paid 12.50 for the early 80s, 33.00 for the mid 80s and 25.00 for the 90s!
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Mamluk
    2) Chypre Palatin
    3) Interlude Man
    4) Kouros (Vintage)
    5) Tobacco Vanille
    6) 34 Boulevard Saint Germain
    7) APOM Pour Homme
    8) Psychedelique [interchangeable with] Coromandel
    9) More than Words
    10) Millesime 1849

I recently had an experience that put me off Kouros a bit, I tried it at a local perfume shop , sprayed 1 spray on my arm, smelt pretty good actually, a bit funky but good in an old school powerhouse way, a bit later I had a shower , the smell of the Kouros did not go but faded to something resembling a dirty hamster cage (swmbo described it as smelling like dogs balls) , I washed my arm again but the smell just would not go, I may take a chance and buy a bottle but I will need to find a shower gel strong enough to wash the scent off first.