Code of Conduct

Default Trying to move away from sweet fragrances!

While my wardrobe has some beautiful perfumes, almost everything is a sweet floral scent. Quite frankly I'm getting bored & need to spice things up a bit. I'd love to try something in a leather with possibly some light floral notes. Also love spicy notes as well as musk, amber etc., but greens are just dreadful on me. My first thought is Cuir de Lancôme, but I'd love any other suggestions.

Thanks!!

Default Re: Trying to move away from sweet fragrances!

Cuir de Lancome is certainly a great dry but smooth leather; not particularly floral though, but still quite cheap. The reference floral leather is Chanel Cuir de Russie: smooth suede, iris and flowers. Another nice leather, and quite cheap too, is Estee Lauder Azuree; it is more butch than the previous two. The masculine Knize Ten is a leather with flowers, ambers, and musks, but it is much butcher than the previous. Not as butch as my favorite one, Bandit, which, being overlaid with a sharp green note, is likely off-limits for you.

cacio

Fleur Oriental by Miller Harris. Its not sweet at all. Oriental with a nice floral (non white) base.

for swap/sale:

Light floral, I've always liked Diorissimo.

If you're really trying to move away from sweet fragrances and want to try an assertive, bitter leather-centered composition, you can't skip Bandit. Rien is another valid candidate...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    . Rien is another valid candidate...

Rien should be like controlled drugs, only given with a prescription after doctor has properly identified with patient and deduce that patient can handle it.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post

Rien should be like controlled drugs, only given with a prescription after doctor has properly identified with patient and deduce that patient can handle it.
    LOL, you faint heart

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Still kind of sweet, but non-floral: Ambre Gris by Balmain. It's a sweet amber but with a slightly salty edge, and a warm note of cinnamon.

cuir ottoman

Basenotes Plus

Try Chanel Cuir de Russie, about the best leather floral that I know of.

Blog Entries

This time of year I love something tangy like Hermes-Un Jardin Sur le Nil. Or try something bold and spunky like ​Balmain-Ivoire. You could go for some dry florals; Creed Tubereuse Indiana, Jasmal, Annick Goutal-Matin D'Orage or Chanel 31 Rue Cambon.

I second Cuir de Russie and Bandit. Try Tabac Blond too.
    Do happy

Primrose probably would have some nice leather suggestions. I haven't tried too many leather scents myself, not sure if I am a fan. I have heard good things about Chanel Cuir de Russie though.
    $25 or less clearance sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/390...othing-over-25!!

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Rom. 8:18

Balmain Jolie Madame is nice, florals and soft kid leather. I tried the current version recently, though, and while it's pleasant it doesn't hold a candle to the older version. It does have green galbanum in it.

Bottega Veneta. Smells like the suede lining of a woman's evening bag. Not really floral but far less sweet than the other similar suede note in Daim Blond which is suede and honeyed apricots. Gorgeous and in your sweet comfort zone but not floral. In the same vein but less sweet till Piguet Calypso

I'll also add kelly caleche. I'm very partial to it. Really pretty.
    Heeley's cuir pleine fleur could probably also be a contender, based on other peoples reviews. I sadly can not smell the fragrance

Wow...so many great suggestions! I'd better get to sniffing.

Cuir de Russie sounds like a must try & Bandit has certainly got my attention. Daim Blond & Cuir Beluga have piqued my interest too. Maybe my best bet is to find a leather sampler from Lucky Scent.

31 Rue Cambon sounds divine. I'd love to move into a woody/spicy scent too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    I'll also add kelly caleche. I'm very partial to it. Really pretty.
    Heeley's cuir pleine fleur could probably also be a contender, based on other peoples reviews. I sadly can not smell the fragrance
    A sampler pack I'm considering has these included too!

Keiko Mecheri Cuir Cordoba is a great entry level leather - all soft suede with a fruity violet and very wearable. L'Artisan's Dzing might provide a bridge between sweet and leather - cotton candy and horse saddle (no florals). Beware though, if you're musk sensitive, as some find this almost too animalic. I don't pick up on it myself, but I'm always hyper aware that to some I might smell like sweaty horse in a haybarn
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

Dzing! smells of elephant hide and poo

Yours a musk smeller

Basenotes Plus

If you like spices: Comme des Garcons Parfum and Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle Noir Epices. Both have woods and bone-dry spice, and the CdG has incense.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

I'd suggest you stay away from Bandit for the meantime- its a very aggressive scent and really shouldn't be recommended for someone branching out of gourmands. Its an extremely bitter and sharp green leather.

I'd definitely staying along the lines of something a little less abrasive, like Cuir de Russie and perhaps Daim Blond.

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    Still kind of sweet, but non-floral: Ambre Gris by Balmain. It's a sweet amber but with a slightly salty edge, and a warm note of cinnamon.
    One of the most boring scents that I know.
    Rien is really very challenging.
    Knize ten is a floral leather to my nose and not that butch after all. But Cuir de Russie really seems to fit best your description of what you're looking for...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    +1 for Ambre Gris by Balmain, I like it too!

Thanks to your stellar suggestions I placed my sample order of leathers this morning. I decided to stay with some "safer" scents as my initial intro to the group. (chicken) No telling where they will lead me.

Cuir de Lancome
    Bottega Veneta
    Daim Blond
    Cuir de Russie
    Kelly Caleche
    Cuir Beluga
    Though not a leather I added in 31 Rue Cambon because it sounds divine!

Next sample pack is for the spicy/woody scents that won't assault the senses & are devoid of those dreaded sharp green notes! Starting this one off with Fleur Oriental by Miller Harris.

Any favorites in this group?

I forgot about Bottega Venetta! That one is lovely.

Blog Entries

You might like regular Caleche, too, or Cabochard. Also, Chanel-Bois des Iles and Beige. You may like to try some aoud- Montale-Black Aoud is a dark sexy rose. Or dry iris root (it took a while for me to appreciate the beauty of this one) Serge Lutens- Iris Silver Mist. The citrus note is not really sweet in Serge Lutens-Fleurs D'Oranger, rather, it is fresh and tangy. You may enjoy the woody violet Serge Lutens-Bois des Violettes. Or you could try some vetiver scents. One of my favorites is F.Malle's ​Vetiver Extraordinaire.
    Last edited by kumquat; 13th August 2012 at 07:37 PM.

Cartier Declaration and Parfum de Peau.

Bois des Iles sounds gorgeous, kumquat. That def goes on my list. The Montale-Black Aoud might be a "must try" too. I've been very curious about oud!

Parfum de Peau sounds very interesting, Alvus. What can you tell me about it?

Ava Luxe is a house I'm not familiar with at all, but some of the descriptions on their site sound swoon-worthy...esp #23. There doesn't seem to be a lot of chatter about them. Any thoughts from anyone on their quality?

Ava Luxe is more on the gourmand, sweet side from what I have smelled..I have only smelled two though..so cannot really speak for Luxe.
    $25 or less clearance sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/390...othing-over-25!!

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Rom. 8:18