Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 38 of 38
  1. #1

    Default The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    I'm kind of on a Lutens hit these days, and Arabie has perfectly hit the spot. Yet, I find myself wanting to explore some more spice-fest fragrances. I also own Serge's Fille En Aiguilles and find myself thinking about Rousse.

    I own the original CdG Eau de Parfum, but find it a little abrasive for more than occasional wear. White is already on my to-revisit list.

    Parfum d'Empire's Aziyade is fun, but too "juicy" and cola-scented for me.

    Diptyque's L'Eau is a bit too light, thin, and like red-hot candies for me. Their old L'Autre was fun, but too much just a cumin fest.

    To describe the type of scent I'm seeking: heavy, dense, complex, lots of different spices together, can be sweet or dry but prefer it thick and dark. Any new suggestions?

    Thanks folks...

  2. #2

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    I really like Caravelle Epicée, it has a wonderful mix of spices and woods, brought together by boozy undertones. I pick up a mix of what could be coriander, cardamom, cumin, nutmeg, perhaps some cinnamon too.

  3. #3

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    I have one but, please be aware that im just starting out here on these forums. Its one of my own all time favorites. Im sorry if its not as exotic as what you might be looking for but here we go.... I recommend Zirh Corduroy. Cardamom among the top notes, Nutmeg and Cinnamon in the middle notes and Vanilla and Tonka among the basenotes. My nose is not likely to be as keena and devoloped as yours is but all these seem do co mingle and bring forth some notes that arent even listed like suede, leather and tobacco. In case this is not to your liking try, CDG Ouarzazate from the 3rd series. Also try Dunhill Edition. Its top middle and basenotes are almost completely all Spice. Hope on of these works. PS hello from Ontario.

  4. #4

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    Amouage Jubilation XXV
    Amouage Honour man
    Creed Bois du Portugal
    Creed Royal Oud

  5. #5

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    caravelle epicee was the first fragrance I thought of and I second that. It's much easier to wear than cdg.

    also villoresi spezie, seeing you can stomach arabie.

  6. #6

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    Alkemi by Labarotorio Olfattivo - is a dense and complex oriental. Very good indeed.

  7. #7

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    If you haven't already tried it - Eau D'Epices by Tauer is beautifully complicated - a literal spice basket with an unusual and very savoury bay leaf/coriander note, lots of dry cardamom, over spicy Tauerade brill stuff!

    Oh and for more Lutens: Chypre Rouge is my favourite spicy scent in his line

  8. #8
    Basenotes Plus
    RHM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO
    Posts
    3,747

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    You've got to try Casbah from Robert Piguet. I didn't care for V&R's Spicebomb but I loved Casbah! I loved it so much I reviewed it.

    http://theperfumemagazine.com/JUNE20...rt-Piguet.html
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

  9. #9
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    83,738

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    Frederic Malle Noir Epices
    Traverse du Bosphore by L'Artisan

  10. #10

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    Sugandaraja, I love the Dune reference. I think Absolue Pour le Soir is luxuriously spicy and Noir Epices by Malle is a unique take on spice.

  11. #11

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    To describe the type of scent I'm seeking: heavy, dense, complex, lots of different spices together, can be sweet or dry but prefer it thick and dark. Any new suggestions?
    You're talking about O'Driù...just saying...

    A few other random suggestions...

    Eau Lente
    YSL Nu (EDP)
    Fougere Bengale
    Cozè
    Idole De Lubin (EDT)


    Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

  12. #12

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    Forget the rest.

    Go for these two classics :
    Monsieur Rochas
    Loewe Pour Homme
    ..........you won´t get spicier than these two !
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    6,675

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    Try:

    Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur - One is initially treated to a bittersweet blast from the stimulating melange of greenness spurred by ansinthe, with its dusty, dry, medicinal dimensions; angelica, with its heavy, sweet, musky attributes; star anise, with its smoky, rich, licorice character and black currant, with its strong, fruity bouquet tinged with a cat urine slant. Percolating with a faint backdrop of a coniferous forest, this somewhat brisk blend meanders to the inviting heart. Here, woody clove, spicy-sweet ginger, cinnamon-like nutmeg and a hint of lively pepper shower the green opening, and impart their warmth, while resourceful patchouli adds a warm earthiness with its slight nutty and musky overtures. The foresty background is still here, and carries this flavorful concoction to the awaiting base. Robust conifers take center stage with the fresh and slightly camphorous woodiness of pine needles and the balsamic, Christmas tree aroma of firs. Cistus bestows its terpenic and pine-like facets and vague illusions of amber and leather. A faintly rugged and quintessentially outdoorsy drydown ensues. This all-season, masculine composition has good projection, a 12-inch, scent cloud, and very good longevity, 10 hours; and should be experienced, especially on cool evenings.

  14. #14

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Forget the rest.

    Go for these two classics :
    Monsieur Rochas
    Loewe Pour Homme
    ..........you won´t get spicier than these two !
    No don't forget the rest - choose my choices :P

  15. #15

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    Lots of excellent suggestions.

    I'll add Santal de Mysore (cumin, cinnamon and buttery sandalwood), El Attarine (cumin, violets and cedar), Jaisalmer (cinnamon and incense), Chypre Rouge (spicy, herbal yet transparent immortelle), Eau d'Hermes (civet, cumin on an eau de cologne type olfactory pyramid), Eau Lente (cloves and opoponox; simple), Eau Noire (lavender and immortelle; polarizing), Scent by Theo Fennel (cumin, saffron and musk).

    I'm sure you've smelt most of these Suga but revisit them with an open mind

    And finally I'm going to recommend a truly hidden gem little people here have heard about: Eau de Murano.

    http://www.fragrancenet.com/eau-de-m...wf/en_US/00794

    This is the most faithful representation of saffron I have smelt in my life. My family have purchased Iranian saffron since I was a child so I know what true saffron smells life. Imagine opening a fridge (saffron has to be kept cool to maintain pungency and flavour) filled with around twenty kilos of nothing but saffron. Eau de Murano smells like this. I have the EDP.

  16. #16

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    Caravelle Epicee - Frapin
    Mandarin Mandarine - Serge Lutens

    for swap/sale:





  17. #17

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    Poivre, Suga?

  18. #18
    Dependent heperd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Posts
    4,825

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    Frederic Malle Noir Epices
    Idole de Lubin
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

    CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

  19. #19

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    Thank you for the suggestions all!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    caravelle epicee was the first fragrance I thought of and I second that. It's much easier to wear than cdg.

    also villoresi spezie, seeing you can stomach arabie.
    I see a number of mentions of Caravelle Epicee on here - it's now on my to-test list!

    Spezie I know about, and like, but don't love. I think the citrus makes it a bit "bright" for me.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    If you haven't already tried it - Eau D'Epices by Tauer is beautifully complicated - a literal spice basket with an unusual and very savoury bay leaf/coriander note, lots of dry cardamom, over spicy Tauerade brill stuff!
    I must give this a try. Reviews had me wary but spice plus Tauer definitely seems like something that could fit the bill.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    You're talking about O'Driù...just saying...

    A few other random suggestions...

    Eau Lente
    YSL Nu (EDP)
    Fougere Bengale
    Cozè
    Idole De Lubin (EDT)
    You're quite right on the Odriu's - Ladamo was very much in the vein I'm speaking; I think I'm the right state of mind to test those out.

    Eau Lente is very nice - I need to try this again now that I mind opoponax less.

    I'm wearing Fougere Bengale as I type. I love it and hate it. Still haven't made my mind up on this one, and I've gone through several samples and decants over the years!

    Thank you for reminding me of Coze. Sniffed this on paper four years ago, loved it, and haven't thought of it since! Need to revisit it.

    Idole is great. I love it, but, kind of conflicted if I was doing Giacobetti does spice if I'd do Elixir instead ( a favorite of mine ). Idole wins on the bottle, though!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    Try:

    Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur - One is initially treated to a bittersweet blast from the stimulating melange of greenness spurred by ansinthe, with its dusty, dry, medicinal dimensions; angelica, with its heavy, sweet, musky attributes; star anise, with its smoky, rich, licorice character and black currant, with its strong, fruity bouquet tinged with a cat urine slant. Percolating with a faint backdrop of a coniferous forest, this somewhat brisk blend meanders to the inviting heart. Here, woody clove, spicy-sweet ginger, cinnamon-like nutmeg and a hint of lively pepper shower the green opening, and impart their warmth, while resourceful patchouli adds a warm earthiness with its slight nutty and musky overtures. The foresty background is still here, and carries this flavorful concoction to the awaiting base. Robust conifers take center stage with the fresh and slightly camphorous woodiness of pine needles and the balsamic, Christmas tree aroma of firs. Cistus bestows its terpenic and pine-like facets and vague illusions of amber and leather. A faintly rugged and quintessentially outdoorsy drydown ensues. This all-season, masculine composition has good projection, a 12-inch, scent cloud, and very good longevity, 10 hours; and should be experienced, especially on cool evenings.
    For this evocative description alone I'll go out and revisit this.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    Lots of excellent suggestions.

    I'll add Santal de Mysore (cumin, cinnamon and buttery sandalwood), El Attarine (cumin, violets and cedar), Jaisalmer (cinnamon and incense), Chypre Rouge (spicy, herbal yet transparent immortelle), Eau d'Hermes (civet, cumin on an eau de cologne type olfactory pyramid), Eau Lente (cloves and opoponox; simple), Eau Noire (lavender and immortelle; polarizing), Scent by Theo Fennel (cumin, saffron and musk).

    I'm sure you've smelt most of these Suga but revisit them with an open mind

    And finally I'm going to recommend a truly hidden gem little people here have heard about: Eau de Murano.

    http://www.fragrancenet.com/eau-de-m...wf/en_US/00794

    This is the most faithful representation of saffron I have smelt in my life. My family have purchased Iranian saffron since I was a child so I know what true saffron smells life. Imagine opening a fridge (saffron has to be kept cool to maintain pungency and flavour) filled with around twenty kilos of nothing but saffron. Eau de Murano smells like this. I have the EDP.
    I really need to give Santal de Mysore a try.

    El Attarine for the first time has grabbed my attention. I know it got a lot of flack for being a bit redundant when it came around ( and Serge likes the recycle themes: see the endless Bois Vs. Predator fragrances ), but given that I now own two related Lutens spicies ( Fille and Arabie ) and am open to a third, it's intriguing me.

    Any thoughts on how El Attarine stacks up against the other Lutens? What's it's closest brother in the line?

    I LOVE the smell of saffron, so Eau de Murano is now up to the top of my list.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    Poivre, Suga?
    This is a good question. And now that I'm over the reformulation, the modern stuff is, in fact, a lot like a more polished edition of CdG EdP.

    I will definitely try this when my Caron send-around comes back to me.

  20. #20

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    Skip the modern garbage and get a bottle of Derrick by Orlane which is readily available still. It's PURE spice!!


    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120445.html

  21. #21
    Basenotes Plus
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,716

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    Try Mecca Balsam from La Via del Profumo.. or vintage Opium by YSL.

  22. #22

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    +1 Idole EDT, Noir Epices, Eau Lente.

    Anyone mention the recent Costume National one? Quite a nice 'hot' clove thing happening.

    PS Oh yes! Balsamico della Mecca is a great one!

  23. #23

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    Micallef Aoud (nutmeg + cinnamon over oud and honey)
    Al Oudh
    Serge Noire
    Navegar (I now perceive this as much darker with a dark anise/amber acting as the backdrop to the pepper and the spices throughout)
    ***For sale:

    Iris Pallida 50ml

    Ungaro I 75ml

    and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

  24. #24

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    Caravelle Epicée
    Serge Noire
    Havana
    Opium
    Noir epices
    Piper Nigrum
    Ourzazate
    Idole de Lubin
    Epic Man
    Ambre Sultan
    Spice and Wood
    French Lover

  25. #25

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    If you're going for Rousse try and get the older version (I think Naz also has this one).
    It's what I got (without intention) and found it heavier on the cinnamon with a more buttery iris whereas the newer one was a little more balanced in the use of cinnamon and slightly powdery. Both are really good actually.
    Caravelle Epicee is also worth a try, it's not a powerful spice but it is well done.
    Some others:
    1740 Marquis de Sade is another must try.

  26. #26

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Amouage Jubilation XXV
    Amouage Honour man
    Creed Bois du Portugal
    Creed Royal Oud
    These are all excellent. Caron's poivre? Hermes poivre samarcande?
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

  27. #27

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    Well Suga, you could say that El Attarine is a variation of Bois de Violette but in reality it's so much more complex. It opens up with cumin (as well as other spices) and peaches but a violet note peeps through and keeps you intrigued. The base is the usual cedar-musk of the Bois series but it's much spicier and I detect a bit of sandalwood too. It does tone down a bit when you first wear it and the balance is perfect. And please try Eau de Murano; I really suspect you will love it! The cheap price of the mini won't hurt

  28. #28

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    All the above and of course "Spice Melange by House Atreides"...

  29. #29

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    OH and a really good cheapie, is Old Delhi Station by LUSH - it's an exclusive oil in the line and makes up the heart of their fragrance The Smell Of Freedom
    It's a must-try for spice fans, I was very impressed with it the first time I smelt it.
    But yes, I think the Tauer will suit you perfectly!

  30. #30

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    Vanille tonka by Nicolai - lots of cinnamon and clove/carnation.
    Sables by Goutal.
    Mitsouko EdP has a very nice spicyness in the drydown, you have to wait several hours though.
    L'heure bleue Edt can be considered a spicy floral.

  31. #31
    odioustoilet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    I-5/washington street exit
    Posts
    1,218
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    is your title to this post supposed to be a direct reference to the movie Dune?
    sent via commodore 64







    *explore your world on a bicycle*

  32. #32

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    I'll second both the Villoresis that have been mentioned so far - Spezie and Piper Nigrum. I don't get the citrus you mention from Spezie, though. It's just all dark earthy herbs and spices on me. Also, I agree with the recent posters who have suggested Serge Noire. There are some serious burnt spices going on in that one!

  33. #33

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

  34. #34
    Basenotes Plus
    senore01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NEW YORK CITY
    Posts
    3,854
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    ahhhhhhhhh yes. Creed's Bois du portugal and royal oud. Love em both.

  35. #35
    Dependent
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    3,652

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    Quote Originally Posted by Boge View Post
    Skip the modern garbage and get a bottle of Derrick by Orlane which is readily available still. It's PURE spice!!
    I disagree ... the leather accord is just as strong as the spices to my nose. Didn't like it!

    Quote Originally Posted by odioustoilet View Post
    is your title to this post supposed to be a direct reference to the movie Dune?
    I think we can assume that is the case.

    Just another vote for Caravelle Epicee, the greatest spice frag of all time.

    However, I do enjoy Zirh Ikon and Bogart Witness too.

  36. #36

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    Noire Epices
    Rose 31... yeah, it's floral, but what sends it over the top for me is the spice in it

  37. #37

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    Jean Pascal pour homme.

  38. #38

    Default Re: The Spice Must Flow! ( Need more spicy fragrance suggestions... )

    Comme des Garcons Incense series: Jaisalmer is wonderfully warm and spicy. In fact, I had a chance to try A*Men Taste of Fragrance, with its red chili pepper note, yesterday, and mostly it came across as a less sophisticated and less beguiling version of Jaisalmer. Both are worth checking out though, if spicy's on your mind.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 4th August 2012, 12:19 AM
  2. Need suggestions,... woody/spicy/masculine scent
    By jeightseven in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 13th January 2012, 10:15 AM
  3. Sweet and spicy suggestions please
    By Pour_Monsieur in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 27th September 2008, 02:59 AM
  4. Seeking suggestions: spicy, with a touch of sweetness
    By Magpie in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 2nd February 2008, 12:35 AM
  5. suggestions on cool..spicy..woody & some exclusive lutens
    By lilyboy in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 26th September 2007, 02:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000