Code of Conduct

Default Problems with longevity - montale, czech & speake, amouage

is it just me or does anybody else have problems with longevity and sillage? i've been experimenting with some of the montale's - dark aoud, black aoud, wood and spices and aoud lime - they last about an hour and a half before disappearing - czech & speake 88 managed about half an hour before literally vanishing to nothing. amouage lyric was about the same. i don't have the greatest sense of smell in the world so for me to smell anything after 30 minutes is a miracle and under normal circumstances i would think it's my terrible sense of smell. however, no matter how many people i ask nobody else can smell them on me either. i went to work with six squirts each of montale black aoud and dark aoud thinking i'd be making people faint - however nobody commented and when i asked after an hour if anybody could actually smell me the only feedback was "sort of, it's not strong, just subtle". anybody else have these problems or is my skin just absorbing anything i put on it?

Default Re: Problems with longevity - montale, czech & speake, amouage

Sounds like you have serious olfactory fatigue. Even with my dry skin, I get monster longevity from Black Aoud, No.88 and Lyric Man.

olfactory fatigue is something i've considered, however it's not just me, people can't smell them on me either past about an hour and a half

Where do you work? Is it a place that has a lot of strong odors? It sounds like you and everyone you work with has olfactory fatigue. Six sprays of Black Aoud will knock people over.

Do you spray from arm's length or something? Just a dab from the plastic wand on my 1ml Lyric Man sampler can last upwards of 12-18 hours, so to hear you're getting just 30 minutes from such a longevity beast sounds pretty hard to believe.

lol, i work in an office, it's a sterile environment and it's not just there that ive canvassed opinion lol i've been thorough - they just don't seem to last at all

- - - Updated - - -

it may be hard to believe, but it's true - on my clothes things last on me no

Blog Entries

I have trouble with projection and Longevity with many fragrances...BUT Every Montale fragrance I have tried lasts over 12 hours...perhaps use more spritzes, one on the chest one on each side of neck. wait an hour, sniff some coffee beans, then see if you can still smell them.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Quote Originally Posted by anglomania View Post
    lol, i work in an office, it's a sterile environment and it's not just there that ive canvassed opinion lol i've been thorough - they just don't seem to last at all

- - - Updated - - -

There is one way to solve this issue once and for all. Buy a small bottle of Joop! and spray 10 sprays on, 30 minutes before work and then observe the reactions/comments of your colleagues. If you fail to provoke a reaction, then you should call the guys over at Myth Busters!
    Last edited by Duke Hunt; 12th August 2012 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anglomania View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps spraying on your clothes will be the better solution then. If you and/or your colleagues can smell the fragrances on the clothes, then it's not the problem of the fragrances.

I have had the problem you are having, due to my extremely dry skin, it absorbs whatever I'm wearing rather than keeping it projecting for any length of time. At first, some of it was olfactory fatigue, but a lot was just my skin type.

I haven't really found a solution other than reapplying. The weird thing is, it's on and off. I think you'll find the fragrances with a heavy base will suit you better though. Strange about the Montale though, I wore Red Aoud yesterday and it just kept going.

You'll just have to work through the scents and see what lasts, and plan your days accordingly. I know lighter scents will pretty much just be enjoyed by myself only. Something I've done to help the situation is to spray something with hair, top of my arms, back of my head, chest hair...it'll stick to the hair longer than the skin and will help with your projection somewhat as well as longevity.

I've noticed I tend to apply fragrances 2-3 times more strongly than others on this board, but that's just what I need to get it where I want. The 1-2 sprays max people talk about doesn't work for everyone.

It doesn't always help, but another things I've noticed with a few fragrances is to put a initial application on and then a booster application maybe 15 minutes after that.

Anyways, just a few suggestions from someone else with an absorbent skin type

Have personally never had any longevity problems with any Montales and I have over 68 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Sounds like you have serious olfactory fatigue. Even with my dry skin, I get monster longevity from Black Aoud, No.88 and Lyric Man.
    I'll second that.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I suffer from serious olfactory fatigue. After a few minutes I don't smell anything. that's a real bummer considering I made the fragrance purchase in order to enjoy the olfactory experience.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    I'll second that.
    I'll second that too

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Those perfumes you mention particularly have titanic projection and longevity.

6 sprays of Black Aoud is a good amount. You should be having a good 6 hours monstrous projection.

Weird.

Are you sure it's 6 and not 1?

for swap/sale:

I get monster longevity on Lyric man.

thanks for all your replies, but i can assure u its a couple of hours max. maybe i have weird skin or something lol - it's always been a problem whatever i've worn thats why i started on the heavier niche brands, but have found much the same results.

- - - Updated - - -

lol yes, quite sure

Blog Entries

try unscented lotion first, then fragrance. The lotion will help stretch out the longevity.

I can't imagine how any human could have longevity issues with a Montale fragrance...
    Last edited by LloydLlewellyn; 13th August 2012 at 12:59 AM.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Black Aoud does not project that well on my skin, but lasts 24 hours. I find Montale's Aoud Safran and Attar has a much better projection on my skin. Amouage fragrances has very mediocre longevity and sillage on my skin.

Basenotes Plus

If your skin is drinking the Montale and C&S, then you might want to consider finding a discrete spot on your clothing to spray them. Beware of staining.

You might also want to try Red Aoud. That is the longest lasting and strongest Montale in my collection. Black Aoud lasts about six hours on my skin, Red Aoud lasts 18 hours.

I agree, red aoud is way way way way waaaaayyy stronger than black.
    Black Aoud, on me, has the same strenght as a medium to strong fragrance like Terre dHermes.
    Red Aoud otherwise is colossal, 6 hours projecting like a beast and about 24 hours of longevity WITH sillage.

Update - I bought a bottle of Mancera The Aoud on Monday, tried it this morning, three 6 blasts left it 10 mins then gave it another 4 - result - it actually lasted all day althought quite faint by 5 it actually managed it. I'll be investigating more of the Mancera range it seems to have much better lasting power on me than the montale.

Blog Entries

Try the unscented lotion, some on the chest and neck, then apply. the oils in the lotion will help the fragrances' longevity