Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default this has been bugging me since this afternoon!!! Is that too much?

Hi, first of all, thanks for reading this....
    and I'm using Boss Night (which is good btw)

This afternoon before I go to work I put on 2 light sprays of Boss Night on both my left and right side of my neck.... I left my apartment with my friend... and we were waiting for the elevator... it came.. and there was an old lady inside....

Me and her has a history.... no matter which brand of fragrance I wear (Bvlgari, CK, Boss, Chanel Allure Homme... etc)... she'll always cover her nose and yell out loud "God it stinks!!!!" FYI, my habit is only 2/3 sprays on each side of my neck and that was it! Other passengers seem to be fine with it! I've never fought back with her and I'm soo embarass everytime I met her in the elevator. The thing is... I tend to sweat a lot in Summer and I'm trying REAL hard to make myself smell good in front of people instead of smelling stinky at the end of the day.

Today she did the same thing... and my friend couldn't stand it and replied to her "You're way stinkier".....
    then she yelled out loud with swear words and nonsense..... me and my friend smiled at each other and got out of the elevator real quick......

When my friend drove me away, I asked him 'Am I using too much?' He said "Absolutely not!!!! Just ignore her... look out... can you see she's laughing on her own? She could be mentally ill...." when I looked out of the window I did see she's laughing on her own....

Well I shouldn't let this tiny little thing bugging me... but I don't know why, but it's been like that all day!

I never should've stepped in that elevator! I should've waited for the next one. Never want to cause any trouble with people from the same building as we will run into each other from time to time!

Guys, is 2 / 3 sprays too much?

Thanks!

Default Re: this has been bugging me since this afternoon!!! Is that too much?

Why don't you just talk to her and find out if she's mental or why she dislikes, or pretends to dislike, your perfume so much?

Well, Russel, to be honest, confronting her is my worst nightmare... I would rather avoiding her than confronting her....

It's an old lady, she's not going to kill you!

Either simply avoid or try to reasonably discuss it.

Though, frankly speaking, not only that 2-3 sprays are too much, also, most Boss scents (except maybe No. 1) even tend to be vapid.

well Russel you're right... maybe next time I'm gonna ask her myself. She seems hard to approach though... everytime she's on the elevator she turns her face backward instead of forward like everyone else.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Either simply avoid or try to reasonably discuss it.

Though, frankly speaking, not only that 2-3 sprays are too much, also, most Boss scents (except maybe No. 1) even tend to be vapid.
    Thanks Ken,

but at the end of the day, I don't have the smell at all!
    I'll take your advice Ken, I'll cut down on the usage.
    Or maybe it's time for me to pick another frangrance.... choosing the right one ain't easy though

Basenotes Plus

Some people are very sensitive to scents. Some people have poor interpersonal skills. Some are just cantankerous by nature. Others are insane. The first two, for sure, seem to apply to this elderly woman. If she is complaining, then, after you spray yourself, you might want to wait five or ten minutes before you leave the house.

Two to three sprays is not a lot depending on the perfume. Three sprays of Joop! Homme or Black Aoud will suffocate everyone in the elevator. I use at least five when I wear one of my Creeds.

I don't see much good coming from confronting her. I'd take the high road, try to be respectful, and politely IGNORE HER. Also, if the elevator door opens and she is in it, then just wait for the next elevator.

Good luck with this.

2 or 3 sprays to the neck will radiate quite strongly for 30-60 minutes. I'd forego the neck spraying and go with the chest. The diffusion is much more even, the longevity increases, and you'll be able to smell the fragrance longer due to less olfactory fatigue.

Neck spraying is one of the most common 'mistakes' in fragrance application, imo.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    2 or 3 sprays to the neck will radiate quite strongly for 30-60 minutes. I'd forego the neck spraying and go with the chest. The diffusion is much more even, the longevity increases, and you'll be able to smell the fragrance longer due to less olfactory fatigue.

Neck spraying is one of the most common 'mistakes' in fragrance application, imo.
    This!

Quote Originally Posted by bejahu View Post
    Some people are very sensitive to scents. Some people have poor interpersonal skills. Some are just cantankerous by nature. Others are insane. The first two, for sure, seem to apply to this elderly woman. If she is complaining, then, after you spray yourself, you might want to wait five or ten minutes before you leave the house.

Two to three sprays is not a lot depending on the perfume. Three sprays of Joop! Homme or Black Aoud will suffocate everyone in the elevator. I use at least five when I wear one of my Creeds.

I don't see much good coming from confronting her. I'd take the high road, try to be respectful, and politely IGNORE HER. Also, if the elevator door opens and she is in it, then just wait for the next elevator.

Good luck with this.
    HI Bejahu,

What a relief!!! I've been upsetting for a while today, but after I've read your post, I feel great because I know the right thing to do now. I thank you for that. (I know that's an option all along, I just need someone to tell me I'm right.)

And yes, it's always nice to treat each other with respect.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks to SculptureOfSoul and ENT,

I'll try that starting from tomorrow. I really appreciate that!
    looks like I've found my solution to the problem!
    wouldn't it be good if I found this forum earlier so I wouldn't make the mistake I've made for all these years ?

What comes from speaking to a fellow human being is understanding. No need to jump to conclusions then or to wonder about how many sprays to apply, perhaps not even to avoid elevators. Always worth a try imo.

Banned

There's this woman in my "apartment tower" who never closes the entrance door to the building (although you are supposed to do so and every quick-thinking person does). Usually she crawls out around midnight and opens the door for no discernible reason; I know she does because I return from the gym at that time. Last week I saw her opening the door in the afternoon and politely asked her why. She stared at me and yelled "Because it is winter!" (temperature outside was 77 fahrenheit/25 celsius). When I closed the door she screamed "I'm going to have you killed, you kackbar!". She didn't stop screaming when I politely asked her wether she was nuts. I was "ROFLMAO". :-)

I think she suffers from dementia, and I don't give a damn about what she says, because probably she can't help it.

Every night, from tonight on, you should go to her apartment door and spray it with cologne. A different one every night. Considering how sensitive to scents she is, she'll smell you every morning when she steps out. Hopefully the thought of you being outside her apartment every night will frighten her. You'll have to follow through in the elevator though by staring blankly in her direction. That'll teach her.

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    There's this woman in my "apartment tower" who never closes the entrance door to the building (although you are supposed to do so and every quick-thinking person does). Usually she crawls out around midnight and opens the door for no discernible reason; I know she does because I return from the gym at that time. Last week I saw her opening the door in the afternoon and politely asked her why. She stared at me and yelled "Because it is winter!" (temperature outside was 77 fahrenheit/25 celsius). When I closed the door she screamed "I'm going to have you killed, you kackbar!". She didn't stop screaming when I politely asked her wether she was nuts. I was "ROFLMAO". :-)

I think she suffers from dementia, and I don't give a damn about what she says, because probably she can't help it.
    Thanks Russel and Candide

This is exactly what I'm afraid to happen.........

I think in this case, avoidance and respect is the key....

I'm not try to call her sick or anything, but at least I'll be more comfortable if I think that could be the case.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BrutalismX View Post
    Every night, from tonight on, you should go to her apartment door and spray it with cologne. A different one every night. Considering how sensitive to scents she is, she'll smell you every morning when she steps out. Hopefully the thought of you being outside her apartment every night will frighten her. You'll have to follow through in the elevator though by staring blankly in her direction. That'll teach her.
    Oh BrutalismX, I wouldn't do that... it's such a waste of expensive frangrance LOL, but thanks anyway

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dearjim View Post
    I think in this case, avoidance and respect is the key....

I'm not try to call her sick or anything, but at least I'll be more comfortable if I think that could be the fact.....
    Yeah, just leave her alone. Some people just have sad medical records and enjoying good health cannot be overestimated.

Don't take it personally, she sounds like she's got a few screws loose.

LOL Candide your story is hilarious, and also a little frightening for you probably since you live in the same building! Unfortunately neither google or urbandictionary has helped me find out exactly what a "kackbar" is...

Is it even clear that she was talking about your perfume? Maybe she just thinks the elevator stinks, or people. Does she complain about other people's perfume? Is she a BN and is just terribly snobby about a certain kind of modern men's perfumes (Bvlgari, CK, Boss, Chanel Allure Homme, etc)? So many questions!

The worst that can happen is that you will have an amusing story for us :-p

Do not ask her if she is nuts though. It's provocative.

Wear Chanel No.5 and see what she says

Thanks UrbanCoyote and Russel,

Russel, I'm pretty sure that she was talking about me well for the last 2 questions I can't say I'm sure... but I think the answer is yes

oh you want another story... I'll give you another one.. though it's a little off-topics... FYI, we have a lot of old gentlemen and ladies in our building... most of them are pretty nice! I'm friends with some of them too.. but the other can be a pain in the butt....

I'll cut a long story short...
    one day.. water was dripping from our air-con.. the floor below was complaining.. of course it's our responsibility to take care of it... so we bought a new one.... but she's still complaining... at first I didn't know why... and she kept harassing us... knocking on our door in the middle of the night... and the guy from the management company checked and found out it's the floor above us who did the trick.... when we marched down to the management's office to find out what happened... we've discovered that the lady below had made a mere 85 complains... in that month... yeah... 85 complains in a month.... I counted it....

and not long after that... his son committed suicide... jumped of the building.... I felt sorry for her.....maybe they got too anxious and nervous about everything, and that's what drove them to the edge I guess....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fragranceman88 View Post
    Wear Chanel No.5 and see what she says

hahah a funny answer would be... "oh that smell nice!! What is that?" But I doubt she'll be getting anywhere near the word "Frangrance" LOL
    Last edited by dearjim; 13th August 2012 at 02:04 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanCoyote View Post
    Unfortunately neither google or urbandictionary has helped me find out exactly what a "kackbar" is...
    Actually her German word was "Kackbart", translated something like "cack/sh** beard" (although I shave dry every morning). However, I "investigated" that it may derive from the islamic (?) phrase "Allahu Akbar". It would be a hate-filled disfigurement of this religious phrase. "God knows" how she got in touch with something like this; she certainly didn't look like someone who has access to the internet.

2-3 sprays? not even Black Aoud or APLS are going to disturb anyone's nose with only 2-3 sprays.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Postumo View Post
    2-3 sprays? not even Black Aoud or APLS are going to disturb anyone's nose with only 2-3 sprays.
    yes, that's what I thought too, but until someone mentioned Boss frangrance are pretty vapid. It just hits me, and yeah I agree in a certain degree that Boss might be a little too strong for elderly. Especially when I'm using Boss Bottled Night.

I think the "spray on the chest" idea is brilliant!
    Last edited by dearjim; 13th August 2012 at 02:24 PM.

No! It's a good amont. She may be sensible to fragrances, dislike you or be ill. Don't even look at her and she'll let you alone and find another person to bother soon.

youre fine bro, tell her Jay from Winnipeg says "suck it."

I'd just ignore her as your friend suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvus View Post
    No! It's a good amont. She may be sensible to fragrances, dislike you or be ill. Don't even look at her and she'll let you alone and find another person to bother soon.
    Thanks Alvus. Yeah... she might be one of those... and I suspect that I'm not the only one suffering...

but first... I ask the question "Is it me?".... before trying to think it's other people's business... that's why I post my question here....

Everyone has a private demon, and sometimes the demon wins. Seems to me she's being nasty for the sake of it, or is a little off her rocker.

Either way, ignore her.

Confrontation in situations like this is not fruitful. You're not going to change her mind, make her nicer, or cure any interpersonal or mental issues she has.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

2-3 sprays to each side of the neck can be over application with some fragrances. Try 1 to the back of the neck and 1-2 to the chest.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by jamwires View Post
    youre fine bro, tell her Jay from Winnipeg says "suck it."
    hahah thanks Jay (Maybe I will if I can't stand it anymore LOL), really appreciate it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Yep I'll do that... thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    Everyone has a private demon, and sometimes the demon wins. Seems to me she's being nasty for the sake of it, or is a little off her rocker.

Either way, ignore her.

Confrontation in situations like this is not fruitful. You're not going to change her mind, make her nicer, or cure any interpersonal or mental issues she has.
    Thanks barclaydetolley, what you said is absolutely correct!! I'll even avoid her.... you know it feels awful when she makes you think you're the one who has the problem!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    2-3 sprays to each side of the neck can be over application with some fragrances. Try 1 to the back of the neck and 1-2 to the chest.
    that's a very nice suggestion Scentologist, I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks.

Thanks UrbanCoyote and Russel,

Russel, I'm pretty sure that she was talking about me well for the last 2 questions I can't say I'm sure... but I think the answer is yes

oh you want another story... I'll give you another one.. though it's a little off-topics... FYI, we have a lot of old gentlemen and ladies in our building... most of them are pretty nice! I'm friends with some of them too.. but the other can be a pain in the butt....

I'll cut a long story short...
    one day.. water was dripping from our air-con.. the floor below was complaining.. of course it's our responsibility to take care of it... so we bought a new one.... but she's still complaining... at first I didn't know why... and she kept harassing us... knocking on our door in the middle of the night... and the guy from the management company checked and found out it's the floor above us who did the trick.... when we marched down to the management's office to find out what happened... we've discovered that the lady below had made a mere 85 complains... in that month... yeah... 85 complains in a month.... I counted it....

and not long after that... his son committed suicide... jumped of the building.... I felt sorry for her.....maybe they got too anxious and nervous about everything, and that's what drove them to the edge I guess....

- - - Updated - - -
    85 times may seem a bit much but, to be fair, it also may get things done.

youre fine
    Last edited by nikkoo; 16th November 2012 at 03:01 AM.

Thanks Alvus. Yeah... she might be one of those... and I suspect that I'm not the only one suffering...

but first... I ask the question "Is it me?".... before trying to think it's other people's business... that's why I post my question here....
    Use whatever you like and do not mind other people's opinions.

I agree with this - I never spray to my neck. Also, you may consider carrying a small atomizer and not applying until after you leave the elevator. You could just spray on small amounts throughout the day...
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Basenotes Junkie

I wouldn't worry about what an old lady thinks. Listen to your friends.

2-3 sprays in total or each side. 2-3 in total should be totally ok for most scents. If it is 2-3 on each side, that's quite a lot. And maybe the problem is spraying just before entering the elevator...

She sounds like a real (to borrow a British expression) nutter to me. It's best to just laugh those type of people off. Double up on your sprays and make a point of smiling broadly at her next time you meet in the elevator.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    These ^^^^ are how I would handle the situation.

And, your application is fine.

&

Insane might not be the best word. Some elderly people do suffer from mental degradation (Alzheimer's or senility) and sometimes they exhibit strange, rather blunt behavior towards physical stimuli. Like water hurts, or loud sounds are scary, or anything that smells different from their daily life is a scent assault.

Such situations are disconcerting, if only because one does not expect such a socially unacceptable rude outburst. It can bother you for hours. The best solution is to totally ignore her. Pretend to be on your phone if you must, but create a virtual bubble around yourself and just shut out the nonsense. It works for panhandlers, loony religious street preachers, and other obnoxious types you may encounter. Retaliatory comments only provoke further unpleasantries. If you feel compelled to reply, try something like "you have a remarkably strong opinion."

It throws confrontational people every time, especially because you do not have to say another word.

Basenotes isn't really going to be as helpful as you might think with this kind of question. It's a forum filled with perfume lovers, which is a good thing, but people here are more likely to tell you what you want to hear: that you weren't wearing too much, that the lady is wrong. Remember, there are folks here who regularly wear 6 sprays or more. Some even wear 10 or more. WOW.

The thing is, the lady, though rude, might be right.

Scents wear differently on different people. I'm one of the lucky people on whom scents seem to really last and wear strongly. 2 sprays on me is like 4 on most people. I often see people here talk about poor longevity from scents I easily get 8 to 12 hours from. On the other hand, I have a friend who can't get anything longer than an hour from scents. They disappear on her skin.

Maybe you're like me. Maybe scents wear more strongly on you than you realize (and if you're lucky, maybe they last longer too). If I wore 3 sprays of Gucci Pour Homme, I could probably stink up the entire floor of my building. OK, maybe that's a bit much, but seriously, 3 sprays of it would make me instantly noticed by anyone who came near me.

I'm not saying the lady is right.
    I'm saying she might be right. And you'd be wise to give that some thought. Cheers!

I do 2-3 sprays total. 2-3 on my neck and chest all together not separately.
    Gucci PH, DKNY Men, DKNY Be Delicious, Perry Ellis 360 Red, Burberry London, Burberry Brit, Nautica Voyage, Nautica Classic, Nautica Blue, Adidas Victory League

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Basenotes isn't really going to be as helpful as you might think with this kind of question. It's a forum filled with perfume lovers, which is a good thing, but people here are more likely to tell you what you want to hear: that you weren't wearing too much, that the lady is wrong. Remember, there are folks here who regularly wear 6 sprays or more. Some even wear 10 or more. WOW.

Scents wear differently on different people. I'm one of the lucky people on whom scents seem to really last and wear strongly. 2 sprays on me is like 4 on most people. I often see people here talk about poor longevity from scents I easily get 8 to 12 hours from. On the other hand, I have a friend who can't get anything longer than an hour from scents. They disappear on her skin.

Maybe you're like me. Maybe scents wear more strongly on you than you realize (and if you're lucky, maybe they last longer too). If I wore 3 sprays of Gucci Pour Homme, I could probably stink up the entire floor of my building. OK, maybe that's a bit much, but seriously, 3 sprays of it would make me instantly noticed by anyone who came near me.

I'm saying she might be right. And you'd be wise to give that some thought. Cheers!
    Well said. Who knows what's going on there. Even if she's a grumpy old cow (whose sense of smell seems to have remained remarkably good...thought that would suffer with age), it's an old woman who might have all sorts of issues, physical and psychological. No need to have a go at her.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Hey, we all have to live with people who are mental, or rude, etc. Apparently, you are not going to be able to rationalize with this particular person and she will probably always answer you back with swear words. Accept the fact that your fragrance makes YOU HAPPY. Don't ever worry about the opinions of others but at the same time try not be be offending with your scent. 2-3 sprays is almost never enough to overwhelm anyone but you are dealing with a difficult person. Ignore her, act as if you don't hear her. Be happy that you are enjoying the scent.

Just dont get in the elevator with the crazy old lady. You never know, one day she may decide to pull a meat cleaver from her bag to get rid of the smell that she hates.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    85 times may seem a bit much but, to be fair, it also may get things done.
    Hi Russell, well FYI all those complains were different ones.. They have everything..... The dripping water, the noise, the trash, the time for collecting them, recycle bins..... It's like anything you can think of...

If all of them were referring to the same thing, then I'm all for it... Getting things done might be her incentive.

However, imagine, someone need to think of somethng to call the management office everyday single day for 2 or 3 stuff for a day? Besides an excuse to get closer to the cute guys and girls over there I don know what else it is LOL (just kidding, I see your point)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nikkoo View Post
    youre fine brother
    Thanks Nikkoo

- - - Updated - - -

Use whatever you like and do not mind other people's opinions.
    Thank Alvus

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I agree with this - I never spray to my neck. Also, you may consider carrying a small atomizer and not applying until after you leave the elevator. You could just spray on small amounts throughout the day...
    Great idea diugczar! Thanks. (I bet her reaction would still be the same though... But hey, I'm doing a better myself first! Not for her, but for myself!)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndBakeryAttack View Post
    I wouldn't worry about what an old lady thinks. Listen to your friends.
    He's been teasing me all day yesterday with this.....
    "If I were you I'll try another one which will irritate her more lol"
    "wait! What's that smell? Oh my god your scent actually transfers through the phone!"......
    An attempt to cheer me up... Lucky me to have a friend like that

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DieNase View Post
    2-3 sprays in total or each side. 2-3 in total should be totally ok for most scents. If it is 2-3 on each side, that's quite a lot. And maybe the problem is spraying just before entering the elevator...
    Thanks Dienase, I'll consider that one too... Will cut down on spraying today :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Girl View Post
    She sounds like a real (to borrow a British expression) nutter to me. It's best to just laugh those type of people off. Double up on your sprays and make a point of smiling broadly at her next time you meet in the elevator.
    Haha beach girl, that's the exact thing my friend told me to do LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    These ^^^^ are how I would handle the situation.

And, your application is fine.

&

Thanks dollar&scents :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ElVee View Post
    Insane might not be the best word. Some elderly people do suffer from mental degradation (Alzheimer's or senility) and sometimes they exhibit strange, rather blunt behavior towards physical stimuli. Like water hurts, or loud sounds are scary, or anything that smells different from their daily life is a scent assault.

Yes ELVee, I think that's probably the case.
    Last edited by dearjim; 14th August 2012 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Just dont get in the elevator with the crazy old lady. You never know, one day she may decide to pull a meat cleaver from her bag to get rid of the smell that she hates.
    She can also want to get some fresh flesh to give her cats.

Quote Originally Posted by dampier View Post
    Such situations are disconcerting, if only because one does not expect such a socially unacceptable rude outburst. It can bother you for hours. The best solution is to totally ignore her. Pretend to be on your phone if you must, but create a virtual bubble around yourself and just shut out the nonsense. It works for panhandlers, loony religious street preachers, and other obnoxious types you may encounter. Retaliatory comments only provoke further unpleasantries. If you feel compelled to reply, try something like "you have a remarkably strong opinion."

It throws confrontational people every time, especially because you do not have to say another word.

Hi damper, thanks for your reply. It actually triggers some more thoughts.....

I just woke up... And first thing I wanna do was to check this forum. All replies are so nice here, and to my surprise there are no haters.. All replies are great, sweet and useful, and I really appreciate you all for that.

Last night when I went back home from work and return to the scene of the crime, still bothers me....
    I started to think.... Why me?
    There are ladies every morning who wears stronger perfumes to work. But I don't think they are stink! It's just strong, it doesnt suffocates or bothers me! You know another reason of spraying fragrance is that we want to have a great smell so the others will feel nice to be near us! We put on deordorant so that the people next to us will not taste the smell of our armpits! That's another kind of showing consideration.
    Then...why do I have to avoid her? Why do I have to go far every time I see her? It's my building too! Why do I have to go through all these troubles because of her?
    All these questions pop up in my head! Maybe it's time for coffee.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post

Thanks l'Homme Blanc Individuel, I'll give that some thoughts. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LanEvo View Post
    I do 2-3 sprays total. 2-3 on my neck and chest all together not separately.
    Thanks LanEvo, that's a great suggestion.

- - - Updated - - -

Well said. Who knows what's going on there. Even if she's a grumpy old cow (whose sense of smell seems to have remained remarkably good...thought that would suffer with age), it's an old woman who might have all sorts of issues, physical and psychological. No need to have a go at her.
    Yes Russell

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    Hey, we all have to live with people who are mental, or rude, etc. Apparently, you are not going to be able to rationalize with this particular person and she will probably always answer you back with swear words. Accept the fact that your fragrance makes YOU HAPPY. Don't ever worry about the opinions of others but at the same time try not be be offending with your scent. 2-3 sprays is almost never enough to overwhelm anyone but you are dealing with a difficult person. Ignore her, act as if you don't hear her. Be happy that you are enjoying the scent.
    Thanks Senore01, I'm happy with my fragrance. You know it takes me a long time to find what's right for me.

Sometimes I think... If I'm gonna give in and spray minimum amount every time, then why bother?
    Nobody's gonna smell it, so why bother putting it on in the first place?
    Gee I must get out of this "thoughts merry-go-round", its not that merry for me.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    That's a goOd thought too heperd.

- - - Updated - - -

She can also want to get some fresh flesh to give her cats.
    You guys wanna make another killer movie? LOL :-)
    Last edited by dearjim; 14th August 2012 at 12:26 AM.

If she's old she probably stinks herself. Don't be that guy who's afraid to use the elevator because of an old lady inside.

Quote Originally Posted by nonsisa View Post
    If she's old she probably stinks herself. Don't be that guy who's afraid to use the elevator because of an old lady inside.
    Thanks nonsisa :-)

I'd placate her with the ol' "yes ma'am." Her opinion doesn't matter to you one way or the other, so let that which does not matter truly slide. I'd also refrain from gettin' into any verbal confrontations with her as it's an old lady and you can't win, so why play.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

It was a Hugo Boss fragrance, so what did ya expect? Compliments??

But jokes aside, I can't believe what I'm reading; some of the vitriol directed at this old lady smacked of 'ageism'! The elderly is not always crazy, or smelly. I'm sure we don't view our own mothers or grandmothers the same way? Well, this lady could be someone's mother, or someone's grandmother. So keep that barbed tongue in check. You never know if she might have a gorgeous granddaughter you could fall for.

C'mon dude, let's be sensible. The elevator is a tiny enclosed space and if you, like many regular fragrance wearers who spray to the neck, were to put on your scent 5 minutes before stepping out of your apartment, those 2-3 sprays to EACH side of the neck will project like crazy, esp. in an elevator! Try this the next time: 1-2 sprays to the chest at least 15 min before you step out.

Remember: with great fragrance comes great responsibilities.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 14th August 2012 at 06:21 AM.

OK, I'm playing Devil's Advocate here:

Some people, especially older people who might be sick may get queasy when the smell some strongish scents.
    There are some hospitals and medical centers here (Toronto) that have signs saying that it's a 'scent-free environment.
    Some people are bothered by some scents (hence some of the headache reviews). Another example that doesn't apply to your neighbor; Pregnant women can sometimes throw-up after smelling something.

on the opposite end:
    She might have dementia and that could be the only reason she's complaining. She may have something against you for reasons only known to a mind with dementia.

The best way to deal with it may be to not go into an elevator with her. (this would be good for her and you) it won't make you feel bad afterward; she doesn't smell it; you won't get insulted by her etc. If you happen to cross paths with her, just pretend you didn't notice her and don't react to her if she says anything. Since she's no longer getting a reaction from you, she might move on and give up bothering you.

If after a few weeks, she ends up still bothering you in the halls etc... just fart while you're passing by her

Maybe its offensive to her. I mean we all love perfume here but there's lot of people who don't. I think you should lay off it for a while and if you run in to her and she still complains that you smell bad then its not the perfume its you she doesn't like. Ive had a few people say things like " I don't like perfume" or do some weird gestures. I appreciate perfume too but there are sometimes that I don't want to smell it. And I always apply lightly.
    Last edited by Stayclose; 14th August 2012 at 06:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    I'd placate her with the ol' "yes ma'am." Her opinion doesn't matter to you one way or the other, so let that which does not matter truly slide. I'd also refrain from gettin' into any verbal confrontations with her as it's an old lady and you can't win, so why play.
    It's so true

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    It was a Hugo Boss fragrance, so what did ya expect? Compliments??

But jokes aside, I can't believe what I'm reading; some of the vitriol directed at this old lady smacked of 'ageism'! The elderly is not always crazy, or smelly. I'm sure we don't view our own mothers or grandmothers the same way? Well, this lady could be someone's mother, or someone's grandmother. So keep that barbed tongue in check. You never know if she might have a gorgeous granddaughter you could fall for.

C'mon dude, let's be sensible. The elevator is a tiny enclosed space and if you, like many regular fragrance wearers who spray to the neck, were to put on your scent 5 minutes before stepping out of your apartment, those 2-3 sprays to EACH side of the neck will project like crazy, esp. in an elevator! Try this the next time: 1-2 sprays to the chest at least 15 min before you step out.

Remember: with great fragrance comes great responsibilities.
    Thanks Diamondflame, your comment leaves me somehting to think about

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vortex View Post
    OK, I'm playing Devil's Advocate here:

Some people, especially older people who might be sick may get queasy when the smell some strongish scents.
    There are some hospitals and medical centers here (Toronto) that have signs saying that it's a 'scent-free environment.
    Some people are bothered by some scents (hence some of the headache reviews). Another example that doesn't apply to your neighbor; Pregnant women can sometimes throw-up after smelling something.

on the opposite end:
    She might have dementia and that could be the only reason she's complaining. She may have something against you for reasons only known to a mind with dementia.

The best way to deal with it may be to not go into an elevator with her. (this would be good for her and you) it won't make you feel bad afterward; she doesn't smell it; you won't get insulted by her etc. If you happen to cross paths with her, just pretend you didn't notice her and don't react to her if she says anything. Since she's no longer getting a reaction from you, she might move on and give up bothering you.

If after a few weeks, she ends up still bothering you in the halls etc... just fart while you're passing by her
    Yes Vortex, that's what I'm gonna do. You know what? When I went back to work today and was waiting for an elevator, I was thinking, "Will I run into her again?", fortunately no. If I did, I would've bought myself a couple of lottery tickets.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stayclose View Post
    Maybe its offensive to her. I mean we all love perfume here but there's lot of people who don't. I think you should lay off it for a while and if you run in to her and she still complains that you smell bad then its not the perfume its you she doesn't like. Ive had a few people say things like " I don't like perfume" or do some weird gestures. I appreciate perfume too but there are sometimes that I don't want to smell it. And I always apply lightly.
    You know Stayclose, I tend to sweat a lot, espeically in this hot hot season. If I lay it off, I will be all stinky at the end of the day. Well yeah she might not be complaning then ... but the rest of the people will

now my motto is "apply lightly", like you or everyone is trying to say.

Today I've tried 2 sprays on the chest and 1 one the neck... works really great!!!!

Thanks guys
    Last edited by dearjim; 14th August 2012 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    To find out what's going on! I can't believe most here would rather avoid elevators or let an old woman bully them without trying to talk to her/find out what her problem is.

I'd simply involve her in a friendly conversation (if possible). Be friendly, ask what stinks, etc. If it's your perfume, ask her if she thinks that you've applied too much, etc. It should become clear soon enough what's wrong with her.

To find out what's going on! I can't believe most here would rather avoid elevators or let an old woman bully them without trying to talk to her/find out what her problem is.

I'd simply involve her in a friendly conversation (if possible). Be friendly, ask what stinks, etc. If it's your perfume, ask her if she thinks that you've applied too much, etc. It should become clear soon enough what's wrong with her.
    HI Russel, thanks for your reply. I think I need to give you a clearer picture so you'll know.

Our first encounter was around a year ago.... she did that while there were lots of passengers inside the elevator... needless to say that was embarassing and humiliating.....

another time.... inside the elevator again... of course she did that...

third time ..... it was at a subway station nearby..... she was on an escalator up, I was going down, she was starring at me like I've killed her whole family.....

forth time.... I was going out of my building... she was going in. She walked slow, so I tried to hold the door for her. And she said... "It's ok I'll go in later".......

FYI, I've never seen her before prior to our first "encounter"... and I've NEVER NEVER NEVER verbally abuse her or something..... but in return, she's embarassing me EVERY TIME!!!!!!!!!

GUYS WHAT HAVE I DONE TO DESERVE THIS!!!!!!

I don't know what all the fuss is all about.... If I've done something bad I deserve those... but what about now??!?!??!

Russel, does she seem like a person who's easily approachable?

Oh you know what I'll do! Next time I'm gonna fight back!!!!! Doing exactly what she's doing.. and if it's necessary, I'll YELL MY LUNGS OUT!!!! AND ACT CRAZIER THAN SHE DOES!!!!!!!

I DESERVE MY RIGHT IN THIS BUILDING... I HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE... AND WHY DO I HAVE TO AVOID HER!!!

(that's my evil mind talking... sorry guys but I'm fed up with this)

And you've never tried to find out what her problem is? If there were many people in the elevator how are you sure that she was addressing you and your perfume? She only does it to you but not to others (surely some of them wearing perfume too)?

Anyway, good luck! If she keeps bothering you, you can also report her to the landlord (assuming you rent), really.

And you've never tried to find out what her problem is? If there were many people in the elevator how are you sure that she was addressing you and your perfume? She only does it to you but not to others (surely some of them wearing perfume too)?

Anyway, good luck! If she keeps bothering you, you can also report her to the landlord (assuming you rent), really.
    Russel... I'm sure it's me... even if I run inside wearing nothing.. it's still me!!! Because it's only me and her in the elevator the other times. I start to suspect now maybe she has a thing with chubby person.... believe it or not Rus, some people do hate chubs here.... and I'm not even a giant one...
    That place is mine so there's no landlord here to help....
    sorry for my rudeness...
    it's just upset me that it's not easy even just to be a normal, decent person......

To find out what's going on! I can't believe most here would rather avoid elevators or let an old woman bully them without trying to talk to her/find out what her problem is. I'd simply involve her in a friendly conversation (if possible). Be friendly, ask what stinks, etc. If it's your perfume, ask her if she thinks that you've applied too much, etc. It should become clear soon enough what's wrong with her.
    Not saying avoid her, I'm saying placate her. "Yes ma'am" is an old school respect thing, it'll soften her next outburst 'cause to her "yes ma'am" means, "I respect you and I'm listening to what you have to say." What I should have said as well is you and your friend should refrain from crackin' jokes at her. That's the sort of confrontation you should refrain from I meant. Nothing good can come of that, making fun of old ladies, that is. I'm all for trying the sane approach of talking and trying to diffuse the crazy, but sometimes crazy wants to be crazy. You take away the psycho frag ranting and next thing she'll be telling the mail man that you're Napoleon's balloonist because you're wearing Aventus. There, see? I knew we'd get a mention of Aventus in this post, if we kept at it.

Blog Entries

I have worked with the mentally ill for 25 years. Humor her.. next time she says anything, look around cautiously, and tell her in a loud whisper that you wear fragrances to keep the aliens from mars away. Tell her it has worked so far, and perhaps she should wear fragrances also. If she is mentally ill, she may change her delusions and leave you alone
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales