Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Thierry Mugler Les Parfums de Cuir (2012)

Yeah i may even buy 3....

Just got a bottle today! The strangest thing I noticed is that the bottle does not have a brown star (for those with a dirty mind,not that brown star. LOL) Instead it is black. On the box it says do not spray on light colored clothing. The bottle also makes an improvement as it is a harder plastic and doesn't come out the box with residue.
    It should be illegal to smell this good!

Anyone spot this in the U.S. yet? Might call around Vegas today see if anyone has seen it.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

photos of the bottle, plz!

- - - Updated - - -

photos of the bottle, plz!

No luck around Vegas, actually didn't find anyone who had even heard of it but that's not unusual.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

Alright just picked it up! The bottle isn't really as nice as it looks in the photo. I wish it was leather covered (I mean, if Varvatos can do it why can't Mugler?!). Out of all the A*Men flankers, this is the closest to the original in my opinion. The sharpness is removed and a nice leather note is prominent in the top, no mint either. As it settles, I get something that smells close to Milk Chocolate, and it is amazing.

I'm not very good at describing scents, but I know that the "Pure" Loyalists will approve of this release. I will post some photos tomorrow for anyone keen to see.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    Alright just picked it up! The bottle isn't really as nice as it looks in the photo. I wish it was leather covered (I mean, if Varvatos can do it why can't Mugler?!). Out of all the A*Men flankers, this is the closest to the original in my opinion. The sharpness is removed and a nice leather note is prominent in the top, no mint either. As it settles, I get something that smells close to Milk Chocolate, and it is amazing.

I'm not very good at describing scents, but I know that the "Pure" Loyalists will approve of this release. I will post some photos tomorrow for anyone keen to see.

Ok, so whats the opening like ?

You got a black star as well right? Unless I picked up a lemon...

Was very exited for this one, despite my not generally liking leather. Hoping it's less sweet and cooler/more dry than Taste of fragrance. I really would like this leather to be less sweet and much less warm than Dior Homme Intense. Like a combo of dried down A*Men plus a good dose of how my dove grey connolly leather was in my XJR on a cold day. But from initial reviews, this one is very very sweet. :/

Just blind bought this from a seller on eBay. Reasonable price as well - £40.

Sounds like a definite buy.

Will this be available only on the Mugler website or will retail stores such as Macy's, Dillards...etc carry it???

I sampled this one last night. The SA told me there was no tester, but I picked up the bottle which I was sure was the tester ( on the counter where the box's of Parfumes de Cuir was) and said to her " what about this?". The bottle had this graininess to it and was different than the regular AMen tester.

Oh boy, I have to admit this one did not meet my expectations. I really feel this one is much to close to the original. Perhaps not as strong and less going on ( no tar note, I don't think). I sampled it on my skin and was just surpised as I waited and waited. I don't smell leather here ! Perhaps I just don't know what the leather note smells like ? I really don't know.

10 minutes passed.....30.....1 hour......a couple of hours and a few hours......I really don't see the point in this one. I don't want to bash this one. Not when many of my Basenotes buds are enjoying this ( Sorry Neil !). I wanted to pick up a bottle, but at the price, I really need to feel a reason. I am not a huge fan of gourmands, but I think the original AMen is nice ( as is all the flankers minus Pure Shot).

Perhaps this is like Pure Havane again. In hindsight, I think Pure Havane did a better job with tobacco than Parfums de Cuir has done with leather.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I was waiting for your post Surfacing I feel a bit embarassed to say this, but in all honesty I think I got a bit caught up in the hype (or I enjoyed it far better when I first tried it),

I'm going to change my view on this one a bit, I have PL (Pure Leather?..) on one wrist and A*Men on the other, and after the first hour or so, I really feel like these two are very similar, and would be boarderline redundant if you have A*Men already. I mean, Basenoters will still enjoy the fragrance, but as you said AMen was a good fragrance in the first place so why wouldn't they? That "milk chocholate" that I thought was "Amazing", is pretty close to the same thing that I experience in the regular A*Men

In that sense, PH and PM were great in the way that they are in a similar catagory, but not the same fragrance really. I wonder how my views will change going forwards, as I didn't really like PH and PM that much when I first smelled them, but now love them.

.... and there goes my BN integrity out the window Hypemonster!
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!

I sampled this yesterday and was very dissapointed. I wanted something new, like how Pure Malt was new, but this is nearly identical to A*Men. While really searching for differences I noticed a bit more patchouli and maybe (just maybe) more coffee, but I nearly had to trick myself into thinking they were there. I don't dislike it, though, because I love A*Men.

If I were to buy it, I would buy it instead of A*Men.

My unboxing video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP19p3AI3fc

You can check out the box/bottle, and a quick first impression. I'd say the coffee notes are hightened, but it's more of a sweet coffee than say, Taste of Fragrance. Really enjoying it, as a fan of the original A*Men.

I also did not expect this one to smell how it smelled. I honestly don't think it deserves the name Pure Leather, I think more on the lines of Pure Patchouli. When you first spray it imagine A*Men without the tar after the first few 30 seconds or so you smell something different. I personally wouldn't call it leather but then again I am not a huge leather fan, but I imagine it is a type of leather they made (4 weeks aging process my ass). This scent stays for the heart notes it kind of reminded me of A*Men (no tar) and you splashed a little dab of Le Male on it.

For compliments; my mother said she loved it; she described it as opening a aged box with a variety of soaps (hey, I cant make this up, the nose knows)

My brother said he smelled a lot of green something fresh and nature driven (most likely patchouli) he also says he can see a women wearing this.

I describe it as "Imagine spraying A*Men and waiting for the tar dry down so you won't offend the saleswomen at the Ferrari dealership. While on a test drive in the latest Ferrari imagine smelling the new leather seats and the patchouli scented pine tree air freshener."

Final thoughts I get a headache from this one (I never liked new car smells) it smells a lot like patchouli, the dry down smells like caramel and chocolate (a lot like A*Men).

Rating (based on testing in the summer)
    Projection:4/5
    Longevity: 5/5 (20+ hours)
    Silage: 3.5/5
    Scent: 3/5 (it has a lot to be desired)

This is easily not my favorite out of the flankers excluding Pure Shot.

I bought ph and liked it but I didn't know how similar it was to a*men. I guess each have their own twistto them and it comes down to what top and base you like more cause they are all the same in the middle. At least that's what I get from what everyone is commenting on.

is this on American shelves yet?

for those who've already tried it:

is it more wearable than the original A*Men?? a reasonable everyday winter scent ??

if someone didn't have A*Men , would you recommend this over it ?? is it a better fragrance ??
    Last edited by psylence2k; 31st August 2012 at 07:17 AM.

Just got an email about this. Sept 7th 8:30 is the release date. Im ready to get 2 bottles.
    http://www.youtube.com/jimihendrix1117

*Peace and Happiness*

Default AMEN Pure Leather release date sept 7th

http://www.muglerstoreusa.com/Amen-P...ncement-_-pure

Just got this in an email from them.

Default Mugler to bring A*Men Pure Leather!!!

Just received an email from circles saying Pure Leather will be available on September 7th online only, USA Shipping Only!!!

So who can buy me a bottle and ship it to Canada. I'll cover all charges. Thanks

Default Re: AMEN Pure Leather release date sept 7th

Me too -the next flanker. Bring it on!

why are you all buying 2-3 bottles of this? you don't even know how it smells like

Just received an email from Mugler website - available in US Sept 7th?

Never mind - see someone already posted.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by limaaa View Post
    why are you all buying 2-3 bottles of this? you don't even know how it smells like
    I will be buying 2-3 bottles also. I base it on the price/value of the PH and PM releases. Its a gamble, but if I like it, I don't want to have to dig around on ebay later...
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Brückner - Aoud 1
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Default Re: Mugler to bring A*Men Pure Leather!!!

I just received that e-mail too! That's definitely going to be a blind-buy for me! I don't care what people think. I love leather and I love the original Angel Men.

http://www.youtube.com/jimihendrix1117

*Peace and Happiness*

Banned

Thanks for the heads up.

Just emailed muglerstoreuk to see when us UK dwellers are likely to see this on the shelves...!

I'll report back when I hear something.

They are expecting it in late September/October.

Quote Originally Posted by psylence2k View Post
    for those who've already tried it:

is it more wearable than the original A*Men?? a reasonable everyday winter scent ??

if someone didn't have A*Men , would you recommend this over it ?? is it a better fragrance ??
    Is it more wearable than A*Men? - based on one wear, that's kinda tough to say. But I'd say it's probably more wearable, yes.

Would I recommend it over A*Men? - if you're one of those people that didn't like the tar note in A*Men, you'll probably wanna try this. I can't answer whether it's better than the original yet, based off of one wear. But I'll be testing this fragrance every single day for the next little while, so I'll keep in touch on that one.

7th Setember is the Brazilian Independence Day, will be holliday here.

I will buy a bottle blind for sure.

Just smelled this one yesterday. I agree some of the reviews above, it smells a lot like the original A-Men, but the patchouli is amped up, almost to the same level as Angel for women. The opening isn't as crazy as the original, which makes Pure Leather a pretty good improvement already.

It's a solid fragrance and definitely worth what they're charging. If you like A-Men, you'll probably like Pure Leather... not to say you should blind buy. I really enjoyed it, but I won't be buying a bottle because it's not my style (I don't even really like the original A-Men that much).
    Sales thread here

Quote Originally Posted by L'Aventurier View Post
    Just smelled this one yesterday. I agree some of the reviews above, it smells a lot like the original A-Men, but the patchouli is amped up, almost to the same level as Angel for women. The opening isn't as crazy as the original, which makes Pure Leather a pretty good improvement already.

It's a solid fragrance and definitely worth what they're charging. If you like A-Men, you'll probably like Pure Leather... not to say you should blind buy. I really enjoyed it, but I won't be buying a bottle because it's not my style (I don't even really like the original A-Men that much).
    Would you say it is as much similar as being redundant if you like but already have the original A*Men?
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
    Just received an email from circles saying Pure Leather will be available on September 7th online only, USA Shipping Only!!

So who can buy me a bottle and ship it to Canada. I'll cover all charges. Thanks
    It's available at the Bay in Toronto.

Will be awaiting this one also to add to my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by jamwires View Post
    Is it more wearable than A*Men? - based on one wear, that's kinda tough to say. But I'd say it's probably more wearable, yes.
    I have to agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    Would you say it is as much similar as being redundant if you like but already have the original A*Men?
    Personally, I think so yes. Even though I like it, the redundancy factor makes me want to swap it out - I could never use this much juice

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    They are expecting it in late September/October.
    Yeah, just had a reply: Thank you for your email enquiry. The A*Men Fragrance of Leather will be available on the Thierry Mugler UK website and in selected UK retail stockists from 1st October 2012. I asked about price but they've sidestepped that one..!

Must admit - looking at jamwires vid the bottle doesn't look anything like the promo shots - where's the brown glass star - it looks like black plastic...suppose it's the juice that matters though.

Its very slightly tinted brown if you hold it under light, but to the naked eye it seems black for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    Yeah, just had a reply: Thank you for your email enquiry. The A*Men Fragrance of Leather will be available on the Thierry Mugler UK website and in selected UK retail stockists from 1st October 2012. I asked about price but they've sidestepped that one..!

Must admit - looking at jamwires vid the bottle doesn't look anything like the promo shots - where's the brown glass star - it looks like black plastic...suppose it's the juice that matters though.
    I wonder if the release date is the same for the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by jamwires View Post

Would I recommend it over A*Men? - if you're one of those people that didn't like the tar note in A*Men, you'll probably wanna try this. I can't answer whether it's better than the original yet, based off of one wear. But I'll be testing this fragrance every single day for the next little while, so I'll keep in touch on that one.

thanks ! , please keep us updated as your opinion progresses with more wears.

So so far the consensus seems to be

- no tar note
    -leather note
    -alot more patchouli

a question to those who have worn it, does the amped up patchouli overpower the coffee/chocolate gourmand notes ??? I'm hoping it's not a patchouli bomb.

So far only positive thing that I read here is more patchouli.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Thanks for the honesty, guys. This one definitely looks like a try, but not buy, for me. I don't really mark them down, though...You can't hit a home run every time. Hopefully, they do a "Pure Chocolate" one next - Not sure what's left to do.

Quote Originally Posted by leor_77 View Post
    Thanks for the honesty, guys. This one definitely looks like a try, but not buy, for me. I don't really mark them down, though...You can't hit a home run every time. Hopefully, they do a "Pure Chocolate" one next - Not sure what's left to do.

I thought this was what A*Men Original was ??

anymore chocolate and I dont think it would turn out great, I haven't really heard great things about the fragrances that use alot more chocolate than A*Men original.

I wonder why they're using a different looking bottle (leather (looking) flask) in the ad than the one they're actually selling (normal black rubber)? That seems like a really bad business move.

Well picked up my bottle today!!!

I have to agree with everyone else that tried it. Its a lighter version on the original with a less tar note and a hint of leather. I like it imo. I reminds me a lot of the original which I love.

Well picked up my bottle today!!!

I have to agree with everyone else that tried it. Its a lighter version on the original with a less tar note and a hint of leather. I like it imo. I reminds me a lot of the original which I love.
    I wouldn't care if it was pure crap, that photo is epic and I want them all!

I still think folks that find the A*Men opening harsh may not like this. Definitely doesnt open as sweet and friendly as Havane or Malt.

Drydown of Pure Leather is awesome. Similar to the original A*Men, you have to wait a bit for the magic.

I love Pure Malt but if this is identical to the original A*Men, only adding more patchouli and a very small touch of leather....
    I'm very disappointed.
    Please don't let this Pure line turn into an easy cash cow, milking the succes of Pure Malt...

I am excited for this and may blind buy it. I have always wanted to buy A*Men but never did. If this is so similar maybe I will just buy this. I am thinking that maybe the other notes such as patchoili are overpowering the leather

I wouldn't care if it was pure crap, that photo is epic and I want them all!
    Thanks man, you gotta love that

Anyone with a bottle also noticed that the sprayers are much better?

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    I love Pure Malt but if this is identical to the original A*Men, only adding more patchouli and a very small touch of leather....
    I'm very disappointed.
    Please don't let this Pure line turn into an easy cash cow, milking the succes of Pure Malt...

I definitely think it's more than just a quick cash out move. A large number of people have loved everything about A*Men original except the incredibly harsh tar note that turns off potential buyers in the opening. Everyone always says "wait til the tar dies out and it gets to the dry down.

People have been asking for years for a A*Men clone without the tar.

This is perfect , it's like our prayers have been answered, and added with a nice touch or leather and a little more patchouli to differentiate enough for others.

This is exactly what A*Men original needed to make it more accessible and wearable.

Before buying I wanna know the leather provenance. I hope Hermes is the provider or I won't buy it.

Quick first impressions everyone!!!

I needed to test this right away. I compared it to A*men and Angel(Star Shape Bottle)

Had a few sprays on each hand and arm.

The opening is very similar to the original and close to Angle with that faint tar note. I get less patchouli then the original and way less coffee. But it's beautiful for some reason. The faint note of leather sneaks in. To bad it's not a bomb but it was interesting. A few hours into PL I get a fruity note and the first thing I think about is holy **** Pure Malt. Are you kidding me. It was awesome to get that. That note stay's for an hour or so. Drydown is becoming like the original. Very smooth!

I will say this here first, I will hype this. It's worth a try imho.Very unisex. Lasts a long time, projects pretty good. Bottle has a better sprayer, no more drizzle. Thinking about getting a second bottle now

Quote Originally Posted by lm6 View Post
    I wonder why they're using a different looking bottle (leather (looking) flask) in the ad than the one they're actually selling (normal black rubber)? That seems like a really bad business move.
    My comment may have been in haste. I saw a YouTube unboxing of this and the flask looked like plain black rubber, but I guess it is actually as it appears in the ad (the leather texture)?

Pure Malt was nice though I don't get near the longevity as others do, but PH I didn't care for. I've never tried the original A Men but I'm looking forward to sampling this. What's up with the juice color though?

I needed to test this right away. I compared it to A*men and Angel(Star Shape Bottle)

The opening is very similar to the original and close to Angle with that faint tar note. I get less patchouli then the original and way less coffee. But it's beautiful for some reason. The faint note of leather sneaks in. To bad it's not a bomb but it was interesting. A few hours into PL I get a fruity note and the first thing I think about is holy **** Pure Malt. Are you kidding me. It was awesome to get that. That note stay's for an hour or so. Drydown is becoming like the original. Very smooth!

I will say this here first, I will hype this. It's worth a try imho.Very unisex. Lasts a long time, projects pretty good. Bottle has a better sprayer, no more drizzle. Thinking about getting a second bottle now
    Thanks for your impressions. So far it seems to me that there is everything except of what this fragrance should be about = leather. But it should not be surprise because I am getting close to zero tobacco from Pure Havane as well. I am very disappointed because I was waiting for more masculine and less sweet version of Amen. "Very unisex" does not sound like it is.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

and the confusion begins :-S , some say alot more patchouli some say alot less.

I think also some have said weak leather note while others have said a prominent one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    Thanks for your impressions. So far it seems to me that there is everything except of what this fragrance should be about = leather. But it should not be surprise because I am getting close to zero tobacco from Pure Havane as well. I am very disappointed because I was waiting for more masculine and less sweet version of Amen. "Very unisex" does not sound like it is.

Im always surprised by people who say they get no Tobacco from Pure Havane, every time I wear it I feel like I have a cuban cigar right below my nose.

I also get 0 tobacco from Pure Havane. I get a lot of cherrys + french vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by limaaa View Post
    I also get 0 tobacco from Pure Havane. I get a lot of cherrys + french vanilla
    Wow, you guys are really missing out on a amazing fragrance. I guess skin chemistry does really factor into it.

I do get a tobacco note from PH, albeit a tame one, which I am thankful for. I don't know if anybody was expecting a harsh leather note here, but I definitely wasn't, as all the Pure series have been very PC and inoffensive.
    It seems to me, from what I am reading here, that Pure Leather has some hint of Angel. I am pretty sure I am going to like it, but I'll have to find a good price for it, as I believe it's going to end up being a redundant A*Men I just need to complete my collection of flankers.
    Has anybody tried the rest of the Cuir flankers?
    Last edited by LloydLlewellyn; 1st September 2012 at 11:21 AM.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit