Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Default Re: Thierry Mugler Les Parfums de Cuir (2012)

Quote Originally Posted by gmm150 View Post
    I have used Pure havane, pure malt, pure shot, a*men, Taste of fragrance,and pure leather. IMO they all smell good. I don't dislike any. PH is my favorite BUT was one of my least favorites upon initial impression. Besides pure shot, pure havane Smells the least like the original.
    Thanks gmm150, that's great advice. I've ordered samples of PH and PM, but PH sounds like it might be right up my street (I'm not a huge fan of A*Men original). If I like either of those, I might give PL a whirl, and I can always sell it on.

I really like this one it is a total different beast from the original. It is very tarrie with a think tar note which cured leather has. I have no problems with sillage or longevity with this one. This is the 2nd best from mugler next to pure malt.

Post Thanks / Like

I've finally got to try this (courtesy of Debenhams where it's in stock with testers) and I'm not initially blown away by it, unfortunately, as I was with Pure Havane. It's closer in smell to the original A*Men than any of the other flankers (albeit I have never smelled Pure Malt so can't comment there) but I feel that A*Men is a more unusual, unique fragrance than it's leather infused offspring. Pure Cuir smells great, no denying that, and it's sillage is much nicer than the smell up close on skin which is initially harsh and hits you in the sinuses! The drydown, however, is great. Softer, bit of patchouli, quite sweet and underpinned by an almost fruity note which balances the other aspects very nicely. The leather note is undeniably there but is not an obvious, photo-realistic leather as per Tom Ford Tuscan Leather or Creed's Royal English Leather. This is somehow different and I don't get the new shoes / shoe shop thing mentioned by others (I think this is an illusion created by the tarry-note and the fruity note clashing creating a slightly synthetic rubbery smell). I'll wear the samples and will keep sniffing - there's definitely more to be worked out where this fragrance is concerned...!

Tried this today.

Absolutely ridiculous that Mugler is going to make money off this. This is LITERALLY the EXACT same thing as the original except maybe a LIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTLE bit weaker. Other than that, I get the exact same fragrances. I think whoever gets any leather note in this is experiencing a placebo effect.

The top was just as harsh for me as the Original. Just as anamalic. Nothing smoother. Longevity is great. Still going strong about 9 hours later. Projection, dont really know because just sprayed on my hand, but I've been getting wafts of it throughout the night.

Anyways. If you have the original, unless you want a back up bottle or you have no budget and just want a new bottle, do NOT buy this. I didnt sample Pure Shot, but if its anything like what people have been saying it is, then Mugler has had some terrible back to back releases.

p.s. This is not a bad scent. Its a great scent. Its legendary. Because its the Original A*Men. Its just a terrible release because its not a new release.

Everything but Pure Coffee is on the UK store. As for Pure Leather, I love it. I would go so far as to say its my favourite of the line.
    Top 5
    1. Dior Homme/Intense
    2. Aventus
    3. Musc Ravageur
    4. Creed GIT
    5. Tobacco Vanille

Current swap list found here ... http://tinyurl.com/9udvk8q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emes View Post
    Everything but Pure Coffee is on the UK store. As for Pure Leather, I love it. I would go so far as to say its my favourite of the line.
    A*Men Pure Malt is still unavailable on the UK Online Store....!

I've worn Pure Leather twice now from 1.5ml samples and I have to say it's not for me....I get a really harsh chemical smell from this (also got it from the store's tester so it's not a spoiled sample or anything) which could be from leather but smells quite like diesel!! It's maybe the tar note which people have picked up on in the original but this is really harsh and strong. I had a jacket on which now smells like diesel where I sprayed my arms with the tester!! Really disappointed not to like this as I've recently bought the original A*Men & Pure Havane (which is a masterpiece).

As for this being identical to the original A*Men it really isn't...! Similar, yes, identical, NO!

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't tried the original A*Men for a long time but I've just tried the 'Cuir' version, I think it has more to do with the packaging than the fragrance because I get absolutely no leather in this.

Post Thanks / Like

I've really not clicked with this...I recently picked up some samples of original A*Men to compare it with and it's MUCH better than Pure Leather in my opinion. The harsh, oily smell ruins it for me and really reminds me of diesel!! I cannot believe that anyone could say this is identical to original A*Men - it's not even close!!!!!!! Really disappointed with this....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    I've really not clicked with this...I recently picked up some samples of original A*Men to compare it with and it's MUCH better than Pure Leather in my opinion. The harsh, oily smell ruins it for me and really reminds me of diesel!! I cannot believe that anyone could say this is identical to original A*Men - it's not even close!!!!!!! Really disappointed with this....
    There must be different batches of this as there is absolutely no way anyone could smell the tester I sampled and not think it's the same as A*Men. They were literally identical, to the point I had to check and make sure I picked up the right bottle, and checked to see that the juice inside wasn't inadvertently blue.
    Splits!

Roja Amber Aoud & Tom Ford Tobacco Oud --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...d-Fleur-splits

Most def batch variations going on, even in my samples. Ive got about 7 and 2 smell very gentle and sweeter the other 5 are that opening blast of harsh leather (which i hate) Its certainly not gentle on the nose for me and so far everyone ive blind smelt it on pretty much hates it lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kida2007 View Post
    Most def batch variations going on, even in my samples. Ive got about 7 and 2 smell very gentle and sweeter the other 5 are that opening blast of harsh leather (which i hate) Its certainly not gentle on the nose for me and so far everyone ive blind smelt it on pretty much hates it lol.
    Strange, the tester I tried today has no leather in it.

Yeah i never really believed people about how much Mugler's batches can vary, but its happened with "taste of" and pure leather. The tester on the shelf i used i went home smelling like a roasted red pepper, the ones i bought a few weeks later smell more or a cherry/coffee spice vibe and pretty sweet. The strong Leather note everyone goes on about (to me) is a very strong sharp burst that lasts about 1-2 hrs then it simmers down in caramel A*men. It does come off pretty synthetic and i kinda choked when i sprayed it on. Bit scary how were all smelling different things!

Post Thanks / Like

I used to think the leather only lasted through the opening and into the heart - fading in the base... But the more time I've spent with it, the more I can detect the leather throughout the whole drydown as well.

Post Thanks / Like

One of my coworkers wore this to work yesterday. I have two major impressions of Pure Leather on him:

-Like the original A*Men, this is potent. My coworker is in the next cubicle over (which is a ways away), and I could smell it over my Straight to Heaven all day.
    -Yes, this is very similar to the original A*Men. However, it is a bit brighter than normal A*Men.

Personally, I think it's a fine fragrance. But I wouldn't buy a bottle, even though I love the original.
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

Post Thanks / Like

A*Men with leather and more coffee, I'd say. Not bad. Not as powerful as the original, which still remains king of the line as far as I've smelled them. Don't think I'll need a bottle.

Women's Angel Fragrance of Leather I didn't care for it all. Very feminine and sweet scrubber.

Post Thanks / Like

A*men cuir is one helluva sweet fragrance. My initial reaction was caramel sundae which one hour later became cotton candy with some cadbury flake pieces mixed in for good measure. Now 6 hours in and there is a surprising allure about this sweet concoction. Think of a essense des cadbury aero bar et crunchie , both of which I like very much. FB worthy ?. Not at this point but maybe a decant to satisfy my candy needs.

Quote Originally Posted by stanmar View Post
    A*men cuir is one helluva sweet fragrance. My initial reaction was caramel sundae which one hour later became cotton candy with some cadbury flake pieces mixed in for good measure. Now 6 hours in and there is a surprising allure about this sweet concoction. Think of a essense des cadbury aero bar et crunchie , both of which I like very much. FB worthy ?. Not at this point but maybe a decant to satisfy my candy needs.
    Cadbury, aero bar, crunchie! Some very brit sweets going on there Im starting to feel at home lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Kida,

Imagine walking out of the cold into a candy store where the warmth inside just happens to fill the air with the scent of those aero and crunchie samples at the counter. Nothing too cloying as with say some heavy chocolate. But just right with the milk chocolate leaving you wanting more. That is pure leather for me.

Saw it at Macy's today and tried it on a paper strip

On paper it smells amazing , like people have said before , it's " A*Men done right "

no harsh tar just very very seductive and intoxicating chocolate, coffee, patchouli, caramel and subtle but sensual leather.

Definitely a great everyday winter scent IMO, the smell makes me feel very warm for some reason.

great longevity too, the paper strip has been sitting next to my computer for almost 8 days now. First 3-4 days I smelled it very well, very bold scent, the last 3 days I still catch good whiffs of it here and there.

Definitely will be picking up a bottle soon.
    Last edited by psylence2k; 2nd November 2012 at 05:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Applied just one spray of pure leather yesterday at 11am, showered in the evening and even today I am getting some nice leathery notes from my wrist. All in all the deal clincher for me is at the 6-7 hour mark. The nicely presented coffee and caramel notes underpinned by chocolate, never overdone and just enough in sweetness at that later stage making me seriously ponder a full bottle for the holiday season.

I tried the Alien and Angel and loved them. A nice set of flankers with a touch of leather. Too bad they are only limited releases for the 20th anniversary of the line.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I also now have the angel version....personally i like the A*men version a little bit better, but i wouldnt sleep on the angel version. Both very nice IMO. Worth full bottles.
    http://www.youtube.com/jimihendrix1117

*Peace and Happiness*

Finally tried this, and I found it about 96% identical to A Men. I'm sure I could tell the difference if I did a side-by-side test, but while wearing it the other day I honestly couldn't tell any difference from the original, which I already own.

Post Thanks / Like

Having been through the series, I still find the A*Men Cuir different from the original, but being one of the flankers closest to it. I probably don't need to own both. The Cuir will do nicely.

- - - Updated - - -

Having been through the series, I still find the A*Men Cuir different from the original, but being one of the flankers closest to it. I probably don't need to own both. The Cuir will do nicely.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tappio View Post
    Finally tried this, and I found it about 96% identical to A Men. I'm sure I could tell the difference if I did a side-by-side test, but while wearing it the other day I honestly couldn't tell any difference from the original, which I already own.
    Yea. Do not get this if you want a real leather frag.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

Worst of the TM fragrances. It smells similar to the original with a few subtle differences; it has a horrid note that smells like a concentrated tar note (yes I am aware that the tar note was removed) and it is a tad sweeter (too bad that sweetness is masked by the horrid scent)

I like Pure Leather a lot...so smooth compared to the original, but yet still rich and deep.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    I like Pure Leather a lot...so smooth compared to the original, but yet still rich and deep.
    Im sorry guys but I LOVE THIS SCENT!!!
    ANd i own A*Men original
    The girls i asked adore it!

Post Thanks / Like

On me it is a good fragrance; different enough from the original.

I saw their new formulation of Angel at Dillards and Nordstroms today. It looked like Angel for men but a slightly browner plastic with a leather grain and they changed the formulation a little. I smelled a little leather in the heart notes but didn't put any on so can't say what the basenotes are. They said it was for their 20th anniversary or something.

I'm puzzled why people do not detect the difference as well as the leather (more like suede) from Pure Leather. At 1st spray I'm smacks with suede, all suede, like you open a suede wallet and put your noise right to it. The A*Men sweetness is very light and in the far background. After 2 - 3 hrs, the fragrance hits its base which smells more similar to the base of Pure Malt than A*men. Aside from Pure Havane which is a total different scent and Taste of Fragrance which is Pure Havane with an annoying chili note, I think this one is the most unique out of the A*Men "true" flankers since the suede add a salty quality to the sweet original as well as a slight off-putting edge to it.
    The suede in it might not be pleasant however it doesn't smell like A*Men

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    I'm puzzled why people do not detect the difference as well as the leather (more like suede) from Pure Leather. At 1st spray I'm smacks with suede, all suede, like you open a suede wallet and put your noise right to it. The A*Men sweetness is very light and in the far background. After 2 - 3 hrs, the fragrance hits its base which smells more similar to the base of Pure Malt than A*men. Aside from Pure Havane which is a total different scent and Taste of Fragrance which is Pure Havane with an annoying chili note, I think this one is the most unique out of the A*Men "true" flankers since the suede add a salty quality to the sweet original as well as a slight off-putting edge to it.
    The suede in it might not be pleasant however it doesn't smell like A*Men
    Agreed. I enjoy PL and own a bottle but would never consider owning A*Men. I'm also a little puzzled by the number of people saying they can't distinguish it from A*Men and would question whether they've actually done a side by side comparison. I did with my A*men sample prior to buying PL. A*Men is way sweeter and has a harsh tar note that (thank god) PL lacks. PL has a blast of leather which is admittedly a little "weird" or overly polished for the first few minutes, but settles down quickly. PL is far closer in smell to something like Cuir Ottoman than it is A*Men IMHO. The dry down of PL is also closer to smelling like Pure Malt and Pure Coffee than A*Men.
    Current favorites_____Roja Dove Amber Aoud_____Montale Aoud Musk_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Avignon_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Lumiere Noire_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I recently bought some Gucci sneakers. When I opened the boxes, the smell of the leather of the shoes reminded me very much of Pure Leather. I also got a similar vibe from one of their belts I have, but not nearly as much as the shoes.
    Last edited by jimihendrix1117; 19th November 2012 at 12:53 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/jimihendrix1117

*Peace and Happiness*

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

...And finally i bought A*MEN pure leather....
    And the SA gave me two 1.4 ml sample vials of it
    they have the same box like the 100 ml parfum
    I love this flanker much better than the original anda im sorry guys but its completely diferent from A*MEN
    even the drydown its not even close!
    And the AMAZING thing is that i bought here in Portugal, Europe at 49 euros ( US$63 dollars )
    Last edited by uruk-hai; 21st November 2012 at 01:46 AM.

Anyone who thinks it smells just like the original is just jealous .
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Trying to give the A*Men Cuir another chance. So far I prefer the Angel Cuir.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Hahaha, nice entertainment.
    1. Une Fleur de Cassie
    2. A Travers Le Miroir
    3. Noël au Balcon
    4. Ghost Man / Bvlgari Black

I just received my bottle of A*Men Pure Cuir (i always call A*Men Angel Men)

When I first applied it smelled very different, kinda classic leather with something mossy or soapy?

After some time it start to smelling like something familiar, and it become more and more familiar, and there is! Angel Woman!!
    This could be considered a flanker to the original Angel Woman, as they are very close!
    Its a good fragrance, and lets hope that it brings more men to the Angel Woman World!

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by primrose View Post
    trying to give the a*men cuir another chance. So far i prefer the angel cuir.
    this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Trying to give the A*Men Cuir another chance. So far I prefer the Angel Cuir.
    THIS.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried them all today and found them pretty disappointing. Very similar to either their original or their Taste of Fragrance versions...

EDIT: I finally bought the Angel and Alien versions.
    The A*Men FOL to me smells horribly of a pretty synthetic leather in the top and heart notes. The drydown is very nice but I won't go through the garage/barnyard phase in order to smell the drydown three hours later.
    The Womanity FOL smells too similar to other Womanitys to be worth owning if you already have a previous incarnation thereof, as I do.
    The Angel FOL is the best of the bunch IMO. Very fruity, with a dark twist but not too gourmand.
    Still on the fence as to if I want to keep the Alien FOL, as it's nice but I already have three other versions of it.
    Last edited by LloydLlewellyn; 4th December 2012 at 10:45 PM.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Tested this today after much anticipation, and ...

Pffft. I'm 2 hours into it and all I get is chocolate. Or coffee. And somekinda syrupy melange. Where's the leather? And the bottle looks horrid and cheap.

I hope I still get to smell the drydown and smell for myself what the fuss is all about.

I finally tested all the leather scents: A*Men, Angel, Alien and Womanity.

I liked the Angel Cuir the best.