Code of Conduct

Default neroli portofino

I've been intrigued by this scent for a while and finally got a sample. on me, it's a little too sweet for my liking. is there something close that isn't as sweet?

Default Re: neroli portofino

Neroli Portofino has an old-fashioned cologney 4711 vibe to me. Maybe try that...

From what I remember, Creed Neroli Sauvage is less sweet. You may want to try that one.

One other, less obvious choice: I recall reading that New York by Parfums de Nicolai has a neroli component. But I'll let someone else formally recommend it, since my sample is on the way and I have not yet tried it.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Perhaps Grand Neroli by Atelier

It's a pretty common formula so luckily you have a lot of options, unfortunately almost none that I have tried match the longevity of NP. You might try out Mugler Cologne, or Chanel's Eau de Cologne. I particularly like Heeley's Oranges and Lemons say the..... but longevity is spotty.

+1 on 4711. It's a heck of a lot much cheaper too!

I think the Chanel EdC recommended above is also a good one for what you are looking for. I have to say though that I have not given this one a full wearing.

Neroli savaged or acquaint di Parma colonia intensa
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

thanks guys. is 4711 something i can check out in a store or just online purchase?

I believe Walgreens has it - about $20. for 200ml. It's quite light - maybe between an EdT and aftershave, a traditional cologne, but a classic summer refresher.

Banned

Try Neroli by Czech & Speake.

Basenotes Plus

Go to Wooznib on Basenotes and get his Orange Cologne, it's better than anything else out there.
    Let us share each precious moment and enjoy the ones we love for each day is a new beginning and a blessing from above.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I too did not care much for neroli portofino. It is a bit too much on the sweet side for me. I suggest you get several samples of various neroli fragrances prior to purchasing. On the other hand, $20.00 is not much of an investment, if you blind buy 4711. If you don't like it you can swap it.

I tried this today also and I dont know if I found it too sweet but the florals definitely over powered me a bit. Personally all neroli or orange based frags end up smelling too much like cleaner for me. Ive yet to find one that didnt eventually smell that way to me. Bergamonte 22 is prolly the closest so far so I tend to stay away... However Neroli portofino does seem to be blended very well and does have some complexity. However not really worth the hefty tag imo

Quote Originally Posted by frug View Post
    Neroli Portofino has an old-fashioned cologney 4711 vibe to me. Maybe try that...
    Bingo. It's based off of 4711 and smells like it but with less lime and more natural.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Kobe & Sweet Redemption.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    Bingo. It's based off of 4711 and smells like it but with less lime and more natural.
    It lasts longer too, so I can see why people like it. There are some good deals to be had on it on eBay. If you like the scent, there are body lotions and oils which cost a fraction of the fragrance price.

Sampled Neroli Portofino a few weeks back. I really like alot of the TF line but couldn't get with this one at all. It wasn't that it was feminine or anything like that but it was more "this isn't at all what I expected" and pretty much I found it weak and not special.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

welp...i guess the scent gods helped me make a decision. my 8 ml sample fell on the floor and the glass shattered. my bathroom smells pretty nice though...

Quote Originally Posted by frrrrrrunkis View Post
    welp...i guess the scent gods helped me make a decision. my 8 ml sample fell on the floor and the glass shattered. my bathroom smells pretty nice though...
    Ouch - sorry to hear that.

Personally, I am struggling to like one TF fragrance. At current prices, I haven't found anything to be bottle worthy.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by frrrrrrunkis View Post
    Oh no! Happens to all of us. I broke a large decant of Jubilation XXV in mine last year (to date my most expensive loss). For at least a month every woman entering my bathroom told me it smelled amazing. I think it seeped into my tile grout.

Back on topic, I will say NP doesn't last all that long on my skin, and it's totally linear. What I smell at first sniff is what I smell after a few hours, before it's gone. But it does smell good. 4711 is only vaguely reminiscent of it. I can understand why people say NP is overpriced -- it is -- but it's wearable to me, and I think 4711 is too synthetic-smelling to wear.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

I really like Neroli Portofino. Can remember putting it on before going out with the other half. Then sitting in the taxi and the driver complimenting my girlfriend on her perfume.... when it was actually me he was smelling.

I get a similar vibe from Bond No 9's Eau de New York. It's another similar Eau de Cologne type scent and also has excellent longevity.

Sampled this one a few weeks back. Smells exactly like my facial toner and not worth the price it commands, in my opinion.