Code of Conduct

Default Are preferences here representative of a certain age group?

I am in my 20's and mostly wear cologne to attract women. I notice many here seem to be really seasoned cologne afficianados and wear them for their own enjoyment as well, which I do too but I mostly where it when I know I will be around females.

I have done some searches before posting to try to get some more knowledge. I have made a long list of the colognes that I see repeatedly being mentioned as good on here. Is what's popular in the US similar to what is popular in Europe? I ask because I noticed many references to the UK.

Go easy on me, I'm a newby...but be honest - a few colognes I am considering getting are:

Versace PH
    Aqua Di Gio
    Gucci Guilty/Guilty Intense
    Gucci by Gucci

Also, is Abercrombie & Fitch's Fierce taken seriously on these forums? I wear that now and think it smells great, and I get lots of compliments on it.

Lastly, are the fragrances I've named too similar, all sort of being in the "fresh" category? If so what are some others I should consider to add variety? Thanks!
    Last edited by Mark5; 5th February 2013 at 08:15 PM.

Default Re: Are preferences here representative of a certain age group?

You could take polls to get factual answers to all your questions!

Armani Code is something a lot of females adore, you might want to sample it.

No one can really tell you what to like. There are some 'favorites' on the board, but you'll find plenty of detractors no matter what fragrance is being discussed. Your best bet is to try a few and see what you like and what works well with your chemistry. Acqua di Gio is a classic but one that I won't be coming back to. Versace Pour Homme I recently purchased but have yet to wear since I'm saving it for Spring/Summer. I would echo the recommendation of Armani Code and suggest Bleu de Chanel, Spicebomb, and Cartier Declaration.

Versace pour Homme and Gucci Guilty/Intense could be good choices and reasonably complimented, plus, they are popular but not overly common and also suitable for most age groups, but especially all through the 20s.

Are preferences here representative of a certain age group? No.

Anyone of any age can wear any fragrance.

Of the fragrances you listed, I think Aqua Di Gio will acomplish your goal. It is very popular and women will like it.

There is a thread at the top of the forum that has info you want about suggestions. I would start with AdG and go forward from there. It is a scent that you can't go wrong with.

Do a lot of sampling to discover what you like!

The ones below seem to be popular with the younger guys, but I like them as well.

Aqua Di Gio
    Gucci by Gucci

I will get in trouble for this but here goes.
    I was contradicted when I suggested TdH to a "youngster". I believe that anyone of any age can wear any fragrance that they want.
    And if you want to attract young females, wear something cheep and sweet. Look at them. Do you think that they wear too much make-up and sweet perfumes to attract quality guys? I say no. They to that to impress the girls they go to the ladies room with. Most straight guys I know would rather be with a real beauty not a painted beauty. So think like hey do.
    Now if you want to attract someone for a serious "thing", go to the gym and get some confidance. That is what attracts the keepers. Fragrance matters less than attitude and being a quality guy yourself. Then spray away with whatever you like and project an air of concidance.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Of course different age groups have different tastes. Wear whatever you like, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    The ones below seem to be popular with the younger guys, but I like them as well.
    Aqua Di Gio
    Gucci by Gucci

Thanks to everyone for all of the responses, I think I have a better idea of this now.

Which do girls seem to like more, Guilty or Intense?

I actually know a lot of girls who despise AdG because so many people wear it. For what you're looking for, I'd suggest:
    Spicebomb
    D&G The One
    1 Million

Although, from a designer side, I personally wore a lot of Fahrenheit in my early 20's, and that went over well.

Basenotes Plus

Hey, if you like A&F Fierce and the crowd you hang with love it on you, by all means, wear it and be happy. Why does it matter if it's taken seriously by BNers or not?

I and I'm pretty sure many others too have noticed the younger ones seem to favor the fresher styles, particularly from well known designer brands. Not that there's anything wrong with that. While there are always exceptions to the norm, brand recognition and peer acceptance tend to factor a lot more when you're young and you hang out with the younger crowd but as you get older these become far less important. Right now I've reached the stage when I rarely give a shit...and I'm not talking about geriatric constipation here.

I'm 22 and in college, and Chanel Allure Sport has been very well received. I'd recommend this scent for daytime and Rochas Man for nighttime.
    Top 3:

1. Dior Homme
    2. Diptyque Philosykos
    3. Burberry London
    4. Hermessence Ambre Narguilé
    5. Creed Green Irish Tweed

Quote Originally Posted by Mark5 View Post
    Thanks to everyone for all of the responses, I think I have a better idea of this now.

Which do girls seem to like more, Guilty or Intense?
    Hey -- I wanna go easy on you, but you seem to be lumping all girls as one being, i.e. girls like this but they don't like this. At least you are honest about your motives. The ones you have listed, I would classify as 'young and fresh' and not really to my tastes and not just for that reason. A lot depends on your budget if you want to try and 'step up'. A lot of women I know love Creed fragrances for example.

I am in my 20's and mostly wear cologne to attract women. I notice many here seem to be really seasoned cologne afficianados and wear them for their own enjoyment as well, which I do too but I mostly where it when I know I will be around females.

I have done some searches before posting to try to get some more knowledge. I have made a long list of the colognes that I see repeatedly being mentioned as good on here. Is what's popular in the US similar to what is popular in Europe? I ask because I noticed many references to the UK.

Go easy on me, I'm a newby...but be honest - a few colognes I am considering getting are:

Versace PH
    Aqua Di Gio
    Gucci by Gucci

Also, is Abercrombie & Fitch's Fierce taken seriously on these forums? I wear that now and think it smells great, and I get lots of compliments on it.

Lastly, are the fragrances I've named too similar, all sort of being in the "fresh" category? If so what are some others I should consider to add variety? Thanks!
    If you want to attract girls with your scent go with any generic, olfactory piercing fragrances, just like the ones you listed.

On the other hand, if you want to attract women, wear self-confidence + Egoiste (not the Platinum version) or Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme (vintage, made in Italy, with silver sticker label, which can be easily found on eBay).

Yes, I believe some preferences are indicative of a certain age group while some are not.

I think perspective is important and I think more user profile demographics can provide better perspective.

Take Kouros for example. According to my out-dated notes, bn reviews came up 104 positive / 29 neutral / 52 negative. I'd bet the positves (for the sake of this discussion let's limit it to but one aspect - age) have a mean age quite a bit higher than the mean age of the neutrals/negatives. Same with Eau Savauge, Polo, Knize 10, etc. For scents like Le Male and 1 Million, I'd expect the opposite. Perhaps there'd be some suprises however. These additional filters could provide a clearer general picture and I think would be more helpful to us users.

Thinking longer-term, there is a value proposition here as well. The more value BN provides, the better it'll be able to attract capital, ad revenue and member fees that'll enable smooth runnins no matter the degree of user traffic. Mildly surprised not to have seen movement in this direction already to be honest. Think of it... AGE/INCOME/OCCUPATION/DWELLING/MARRIED?/IN A RELATIONSHIP?/SEXUAL PREFERENCE/POLITICAL VIEWS/SOCIAL VIEWS/MONTHLY FRAG BUDGET etc etc etc listed out underneath the country flag or wardrobe icon on the right margin or hidden -- whether voluntary or mandatory to answer, whatever.

Yep, a database would be helpful and interesting.

1. Wear what you like. You can't figure for other people's tastes, so you may as well go for something that makes you feel happy and confident. That can only enhance your mojo.

2. You stand a much better chance with intelligent women (if that matters to you) if you don't insist on calling them "females."

Acqua di Gio is always popular with the ladies and a fantastic fragrance all around. You do need to make sure are purchasing something that you will enjoy as well since the smell is going to be lingering around your nose all day.

I am in my 20's and mostly wear cologne to attract women....
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !