Code of Conduct

Default Smell of 'Ammonia' in Versilia Vintage Ambra Mediterranea Profumi del Forte?

Hello Everyone!
    My first post here on basenotes!
    I have a question regarding a 'note' (or a combination of notes) in Ambra Mediterranea.

It smells really sharp (not in a pleasant way! it smells kind of like ammonia) for the first 30 mins or so... Can someone please let me know what that is? Is it how the fragrance supposed to be like? Oh is there something wrong with my nose

I've tried it a couple of times (different bottles) and the note is still there
    From what I've read here on basenotes, this is one of the best amber... and i really want to appreciate this fragrance (or try at least!)

Thanks in advance!
    E

Default Re: Smell of 'Ammonia' in Versilia Vintage Ambra Mediterranea Profumi del Forte?

VVAM is by nature not sharp.

Therefore this is the first conundrum which leads me to believe your item may be off.

The second is when you say you've tried it a few times. Can all the bottles you've smelled be off? Perhaps. But unlikely.

for swap/sale:

Default Re: Smell of 'Ammonia' in Versilia Vintage Ambra Mediterranea Profumi del Forte?

Thanks for your reply hedonist!
    From what I have read here, I am quite surprised that i found it 'sharp' too! I am not sure if I am using the right word... i can smell that similar 'feel' in Opus VI... its just seems a lot more potent in Ambra Mediterranea. My nose is not as refined as some other members here... hence I am trying to understand if it's one of the notes
    I tried it twice in Milan, and the other time via a sample i received... I agree with you, it's highly unlikely that they are all off! (The dry down is really nice! its just the initial 30mins or so...)

Could be the citric top?
    Although even then its not too our.

for swap/sale:

My guess is that you're smelling the combinaton of woods, amber and incense (both present in AM and Opus VI). The wood-incense accord of Ambra Mediterranea is definitely bold with slight angular aspects. You call it sharp...If you'll have the chance, give a test to Opus V, which emphasizes the accord to the limit. If you get the same vibe from that one as well, then it's definitely the aforementioned combination of notes...
    Last edited by alfarom; 14th August 2012 at 08:55 AM.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

It doesnt smell very citric to me.. or it could be my skin chemistry! to be honest, I didn't notice that sharp note at first until my sister started telling me she smells ammonia when I tried it on... I am going to spray that on someone else tonight to see if the problem persist. Thanks hedonist!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    My guess is that you're smelling the combinaton of woods, amber and incense (both present in AM and Opus VI). The wood-incense accord of Ambra Mediterranea is definitely bold with slight angular aspects. You call it sharp...If you'll have the change, give a test ot Opus V, which emphasizes the accord to the limit. If you get the same vibe from that one as well, then it's definitely the aforementioned combination of notes...
    I'll check it out! Thanks Alfarom! btw, love your reviews!

Sound Scents

Never noticed a sharp ammonia accord myself.... It actually is one of the best amber scents I have tried to date. Could be you are onto something with your skin chemistry hypothesis? Lucky for you amber is a pretty strong category with a lot of excellent entrants so you have good alternatives if that turns out to be the case.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Hi, I am wearing it today and I agree that it does smell a little like that when first applied, but within 15 minutes that odour dissipates. Another thing to consider is that the fragrance does have an amber/oud/vanilla profile which perhaps you mistake for something like ammonia? Presumably the fragrance gets better with time?