Code of Conduct
    Dependent

Default Smelling fragrance/ new to this

i am completely new to fragrance i use to wear curve and aqua di gio. i just recently started caring about how i present myself. and im really starting to enjoy it and take alot of pride in it. any who a few days ago i went to my first fragrance store. i was looking for something with a hint of coffee for my work ( i work in an office so i figured it would be perfect but i could be wrong being new to this) i told the lady for a coffee scent thats little sweet. there was an older gentleman there ( im 21) and he laughed an made a comment that im just starting out i didnt take it as an insult because im open to learning i want to make this something i take alot of pride on. am i suppose to avoid sweet fragrances? also when i was giving the strip with the fragrance the lady laughed on how i smelt it. is there a way im suppose to smell it? this is my first thread and id like to say thank you in advance to all those that help and read this. im really excited to gaining the knowledge and experiance so one day i can help someone to that just started

- - - Updated - - -

ooo by the way i ended up buying bond no9 new haarlem

Default Re: Smelling fragrance/ new to this

Apart from the fact that laughing at a customer doesn't seem a good business strategy, I don't really know what could have been so strange in your request for coffee and sweetness, nor about smelling a strip of paper (if we want to be picky, I bet 95 percent of sales assistant don't use the paper strip in the way the perfumers do - not that there would be anything wrong). I would have simply gone elsewhere, given how much you've ended up spending.

Btw, great frag, the best given your preferences.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Unless you stuck the strip UP your nose, I can't imagine anyway one could smell a paper strip in a comical manner. Shame on the SA and enjoy your beautiful coffee scent.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

That was pretty rude...You're request was completely plausible and I guess, as Knit at Nite said, you haven't stuck the strip up your nose...buy your fragrances somewhere else.

Congratulations on your purchase...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Junkie

That salesperson was really rude. She was probably trying to flirt with the older gentleman and you got caught up in it. There is no "right" way to smell a spray strip. Also, there is nothing wrong with asking for a scent with coffee in it. That's a perfectly normal question.

Also, you might like Givenchy Play or Play Intense. I'm not a huge fan of either (basically anosmic to them), but they are very popular scents with coffee notes. Cheers!

Armani Attitude and Pure Coffee are good coffee scents. You have to wait a little to smell the strip or you'll get a strong alcohol smell. I like better to test fragrances on skin.

Some SA's are just snobs... I just ignore the rude ones and give my business to the ones that listen to me and care about my wants and needs.

With that being said I want to first welcome you to Basenotes (we have you now and you may never leave ), you have come to the right place and in no time you yourself will be handing out great info to people just starting out!

I guess if I had to offer anything I would say buy what smells good to you and don't worry about SA's telling you any different, however one thing to remember is a fragrance that has great smelling top notes (what you will smell on the pray card) may have a much different dry down so if you don't have money to burn you may want to ask for a few samples and try them out on your skin before buying.

One other thing I like to do when shopping for a fragrances is use my smart phone while in the store to check out the notes and the reviews for any fragrances I might be interested in purchasing that day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Apart from the fact that laughing at a customer doesn't seem a good business strategy, I don't really know what could have been so strange in your request for coffee and sweetness, nor about smelling a strip of paper (if we want to be picky, I bet 95 percent of sales assistant don't use the paper strip in the way the perfumers do - not that there would be anything wrong). I would have simply gone elsewhere, given how much you've ended up spending.

Btw, great frag, the best given your preferences.

cacio
    Those high end department store SA's like to spray the strip, flap it back and forth 5 times and then hold the strip between their thumb and index finger and with their pinky in the air slowly move the strip passed their nose and if they manage to get the strip closer than 2 inches to their nose they have to start all over again. .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndBakeryAttack View Post
    That salesperson was really rude. She was probably trying to flirt with the older gentleman and you got caught up in it. There is no "right" way to smell a spray strip. Also, there is nothing wrong with asking for a scent with coffee in it. That's a perfectly normal question.

Also, you might like Givenchy Play or Play Intense. I'm not a huge fan of either (basically anosmic to them), but they are very popular scents with coffee notes. Cheers!
    Yes Givenchy Play Intense is a wonderful coffee like fragrance... especially for someone just starting out .
    Living each day one spray at a time

Who are these assholes that have the nerve to laugh at you when you are there spending money? New Haarlem is pretty much the sweetest coffee scent there is so you picked a good one.

Just keep reading on here and sniffing and you will learn what you like and so much more.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

That's funny, you give them your business, they laugh. No, there is no correct way to smell a fragrance strip.
    Good buy, by the way. Pure Coffee by Thierry Mugler is another one you can look at.

I wouldn't make any decision based upon a spraying on paper. In most cases I could get a general idea about the scent, once the paper is dry, but it won't tell me all kinds of things I want to know, such as longevity, development, and projection on my skin and on clothing, which is what I need to know. In the case of New Haarlem, I could tell it was a lavender/gourmand and that would be enough for me to know not to pursue it further (just personal preference), but I don't see how that would be helpful to a newbie. I began in late 2007. Before that I rarely wore any frag. If you want to be a frag aficionado, just keep sampling and don't try to force it. Eventually you will begin to recognize notes and accords (use note pyramids to try and get an idea of what the dominant notes smell like, though don't expect it to always be accurate, especially base notes, which in new frags are often presented in the weakest way possible).

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndBakeryAttack View Post
    I'd also like to add Givenchy Very Irresistible for Men. Although they smell different, the vibe and transition is very similar to New Haarlem. Very Irresistible is not as intense and dries down to a hazelnut flavoured coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    Unless you stuck the strip UP your nose, I can't imagine anyway one could smell a paper strip in a comical manner.
    Agree.

Banned

I would strongly suggest that, next time, you apply some fragrance on your skin, and disappear to appraise the full composition. Scents usually have an opening, heart/middle, and base. Don't be hooked by only the opening, experience the whole scent.

Moreover, don't pay attention to the antics of the folks around you. You are spending your hard-earned cash, not them.

Enjoy your wonderful, new fragrance ↓↓↓ !

Quote Originally Posted by calilove View Post
    ooo by the way i ended up buying bond no9 new haarlem
    &