Code of Conduct

Default YSL: La nuit de L'homme vs L'homme.

I was wondering which one of these you guys liked better and which has gotten you more compliments, if you like it can you explain why you like it by the way?
    Just gathering thoughts!
    Thanks guys!

Default Re: YSL: La nuit de L'homme vs L'homme.

I own both and believe both are great fragrances.. L homme is more versatile , great for everyday wear even classy affairs. It smells very good. Only downside is it may not last long... La Nuitt on the other hand is fantastic. Its my #2 all time cologne. Its more suited for going out/ night out affairs. I have received compliments whenever I have worn it and even during the day time. With that being said, I will always own a bottle as it has a special place with me

I prefer YSL La Nuit de L'Homme over L'Homme and L'Homme Libre over both for versatility.

Personally like them both but prefer L'Homme.

I like La nuit more... i wore it today....
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Blog Entries

Original L'Homme is better, IMO.

I like all of them.....There is no way I can pick just one.....Gary

Love both, can't go wrong.
    $25 or less clearance sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/390...othing-over-25!!

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Rom. 8:18

Quote Originally Posted by Ivibezz View Post
    I was wondering which one of these you guys liked better and which has gotten you more compliments, if you like it can you explain why you like it by the way?
    Just gathering thoughts!
    Thanks guys!
    L'Homme is more versatile, but it doesn't have much stamina. I like pairing the two up though, L'Homme by day and La Nuit, well, lolz, at night.
    Last edited by Shiny Beast; 3rd May 2013 at 05:52 AM.

La Nuit if you want to smell less generic. Lhomme is your run of the mill type cologne that smells similar to hundreds of other designer frags.

La Nuit IMO. L'Homme is nice, but I feel there is "more going on" with La Nuit.

La Nuit cause it's better composed.

Basenotes Junkie

La Nuit by a mile. I don't think it's just a night scent for going out. It seems versatile inoffensive enough to me that I wear it to work during cooler weather. Great all around sweet spice scent.

L'homme is nice too, but I find it pretty boring. Also, it doesn't last long enough on my skin.

I'd take and like any of the two, however, in my opinion, La Nuit EDP (even more so than the EDT) has that special extra edge and complexity.

La Nuit is by far the biggest compliment getter in my wardrobe. I also prefer it to the original.

Not my favourites, but I prefer La nuit L'homme over L'homme.

Blog Entries

L'Homme is the better of the two, but I cast a write-in vote for L'Homme Libre!!! OK, I know, "Sport scent" but in the summer heat it is classy!!
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Banned
    Blog Entries

Both are good. La Nuit gets more points for originality and uniqueness. L'Homme is a pleasant scent, though a little boring.

I like them both. I had an unpleasant experience with La nuit once, but it was my fault. I went with 3 sprays, from a small sample spray since i figured it put out less juice, and i was bombing the room for a whole dinner with friends. It was noticeable, but not in the way you want you cologne to be noticed. I realize it was my fault for applying so liberally on the first wear. Since then i have really enjoyed it. I find it isnt good for me to wear to work, and prefer L"homme original during the day as other have mentioned.

Much prefer original l'homme. I don't even own la nuit cuz don't like it that much. I'm not saying la nuit is bad just not my cup of tea

Quote Originally Posted by broxwood View Post
    Not my favourites, but I prefer La nuit L'homme over L'homme.
    I agree. My family would be fine if I just wore these two on and off, but for some reason they bore me. La Nuit is more interesting.

Winter, Fall, Night, Club : L'Nuit

Spring, Summer, Day, Office : L'Homme

End.

this is a NICE mix of both.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

I like them both equally but I prefer La Nuit for its longevity and projection, L'homme on my skin is very short lived.

I personally like La Nuit better...

Banned
    Blog Entries

I was undecided before, Now I'm wholeheartedly in favor of L'Homme, though La Nuit is still good stuff.

La Nuit imo wipes the floor with the very ordinary L'homme

Basenotes Member
    Blog Entries

I prefer L'homme personally since it's so versatile and think it smells better than la nuit. Also I have other frags I prefer to la nuit for clubbing/dates.

Both a great but La Nuit is more interesting with tremendous longevity and sillage...

La Nuit without hesitation
    My Top 3 Scent
    1 Aventus
    2 Dior homme intense (Vintage)
    3 L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme L'Eau Extrême

I own La Nuit. I don't own L'Homme. I really like La Nuit every time I wear it, it just seems to slip behind others on my internal "to wear" list. Although I do like L'Homme, I've never quite been able to go ahead and buy a full bottle.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I like them both. I tend to wear l'homme during the day and La Nuit during the night. I get many more compliments when wearing la Nuiti de L'Homme.

Both are good but La Nuit more more for me

Basenotes Plus

Interesting, a strong +1 to a what you said.

I own only La Nuit and have tried L'Homme and actually have another sample right now. L'Homme has a nice ginger note splashed with citrus in the opening. Other spices and a clean vetiver base with cedar and just a touch of tonka bean for warmth make up the majority of the scent. The violet leaf is nice and not overdone in the heart along with the green basil. To me, this is a very nice and well-made contemporary scent - but I have never bought it. It is good, but not "special". I would have no problem wearing it, and have enjoyed sample wearings, but buying a full bottle alludes me as well. Very ironic.

La Nuit de l'Homme, on the other hand, is a study in the use of brilliant cardamom, bergamot, lavender, cedar, vetiver and earthy caraway. It is rather stunning and has something special. It took one spray on one occasion to make a full-bottle purchase! It has rich aromatics, a sensual vibe and overtones from the notes that create beautiful accords. Every time I wear it - it feels truly wonderful and has that "special" feeling. Compliments like crazy!

Both are good compositions - the question is which one (or are both) suitable for you...and full-bottle worthy? 15 years ago, L'Homme would've been in my rotation, but my tastes have changed. La Nuit would've been as well, then - and is definitely today. Excellent fragrance.

Cheers.

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Profumo Saggio View Post
    I own La Nuit. I don't own L'Homme. I really like La Nuit every time I wear it, it just seems to slip behind others on my internal "to wear" list. Although I do like L'Homme, I've never quite been able to go ahead and buy a full bottle.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I own both fragrances. I find l'homme to be a safe scent although it has a nice ginger/citrusy opening. But that is so common with other fragrances today. La Nuit de L'Homme on the other hand, is an experience. It is so well blended. Soft, sensuous yet masculine. It almost signals a sense of vulnerability smothered in its sensuality. I truly adore this YSL masterpiece. I have both the edt and edp versions. I tend to layer the edt over the edp. It is a real compliment getter.

I've been debating on buying one of these. I've tried and liked L'homme, but never enough to buy a full bottle. La Nuit I just didn't care for, but I was looking at buying either the new frozen version which is supposed to be a summer version of La Nuit. Has anyone tried the frozen version? I was also looking into Libre or gingembre cologne. Any thoughts on these?

La Nuit
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

L'homme for me,only because I not a big fan of cardamom.
    Last edited by Stayclose; 5th December 2012 at 08:15 PM.
    Any opinions I post here about frags only reflect MY PERSONAL TASTE and only my personal preference which could change at any moment.

I own both and la nuit is miles better imo.

la nuit is way more unique and gets way more compliments.

problem for me is bothe are becoming sort of mainstream but go with la nuit for sure
    Check out my Narciso Rodriguez for Him youtube review!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SImDN1VjOU

Basenotes Plus

Very, very well said, my friend. L'Homme is "safe" - but, nicely composed. Not bad at all, but not "special"...as I said.

Your eloquent description of La Nuit de l'Homme is very thought-provoking and well-articulated. I have to agree - with admiration. For me, it is a transcendent composition that creates imagery. Truly a wonderful scent for the night.

And, finally, I agree. It is the only contemporary bottle by YSL that I will purchase. I am looking forward to getting the EdP - which I believe would layer nicely with the EdT.

Wonderful post!

Cheers.

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    I own both fragrances. I find l'homme to be a safe scent although it has a nice ginger/citrusy opening. But that is so common with other fragrances today. La Nuit de L'Homme on the other hand, is an experience. It is so well blended. Soft, sensuous yet masculine. It almost signals a sense of vulnerability smothered in its sensuality. I truly adore this YSL masterpiece. I have both the edt and edp versions. I tend to layer the edt over the edp. It is a real compliment getter.
    Last edited by ericrico; 5th December 2012 at 04:56 AM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Thank you ericrico for the compliment. Coming from you it is very high praise. Have a pleasant evening my friend. William

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you ericrico for the compliment. Coming from you it is very high praise. Have a pleasant evening my friend. William

I think I remember liking La Nuit more.
    $25 or less clearance sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/390...othing-over-25!!

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Rom. 8:18

L'homme for me in my current scent collection which is a tab bit limited to some peoples is probably the ultimate day/work scent for a classy environment. I can imagine somebody wearing it with suits in both formal and informal style events.

I'd say it's a bit too classy for 'normal' office wear. I'd rather it be for meeting and greeting banker types to be honest where you're in flashy environments closing deals. That said, my 'ultimate', 'normal' office wear scent from my collection for almost every average level graduate job is Boss Bottled.

La nuit as mentioned is definitely a night time scent at heart. Can be worn during the day, but i think i use specific scents for specific times and situations and as mentioned, La nuit as the name implies itself, thoroughly belongs for evenings. Also not for anything other than very intimate and black tie affairs. Hence, a bit more closed but an amazing scent.

I love them both equally and i'd love to get my hands on the 200ml EDT to go with the 200ml L'homme i picked up on offer a while back. Thinking back, i sometimes think the 200ml wasn't enough at the price it was on offer lol, but then again, even on offer at almost 50% off, it was pricey for a student. Still, 200ml lasts years long with the small amount of time i actually get to wear such scents so it's not a problem lol.

I would reccommend that people try both out as with all scents to see how they would like to live with such scents and in some cases as seen, some just opt for one of them rather than both.

I had amazing experience with both, and I know that it's boring to hear everyone saying BOTH are great or something like that.. but it's just the truth it's almost impossible to chose 1 over the other. I would suggest L'homme as a daily use fragrance, and as for the night, I'd go with La Nuit without a doubt.

Is La Nuit edt worth a blind buy? (I have upto date wardrobe)

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    Is La Nuit edt worth a blind buy? (I have upto date wardrobe)
    You have Rochas, Joop, Dior Homme Intense, this tells me a sweet fragrance doesn't bother you, I would say it's a safe. But try to go to a mall or a fragrance store near you to sample it first.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    You have Rochas, Joop, Dior Homme Intense, this tells me a sweet fragrance doesn't bother you, I would say it's a safe. But try to go to a mall or a fragrance store near you to sample it first.
    Hey everyone, thanks for the thoughts. I own and love both, but just bought a new bottle of the original L'homme and it doesn't seem quite as potent as my previous bottles. Although I bought it at Macy's, I'm worried it's a fake.

The spray dispenser is now much smaller, and the lid is basically plastic, much lighter, and the underside fo the cap has a black plastic insert that fills up the entire inside of the cap but for the space for the (much smaller) dispenser. By comparison the old bottle's cap was much heavier, made of metal, and with the underside of the cap a black interior circle to fit against the spray dispenser, then open space under the cap until the perimeter at the edges. (so basically a circle within in a circle, with lots of space in between).

Both my old L'homme and Nuit bottles are the same, and this new bottle both smells different from my old L'homme and has a cap that is distinctly different from both of these. Has anyone seen this new cap? It feels much cheaper and the cologne doesn't last, so I'm worried I got a fake, but I wanted to see if anyone's seen this new, much lighter, cheaper, cap. Thanks!

They're both good, but I prefer L'Homme.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Quote Originally Posted by Igorbg View Post
    Winter, Fall, Night, Club : L'Nuit

Spring, Summer, Day, Office : L'Homme

End.
    Agree.

I do love L'Homme. La Nuit is too sweet for me and Libre is generic enough.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

La Nuit is fantastic. One of those scents that gets me many compliments.

If there was a poll, I'd be voting L'homme

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    I can't stand Joop Homme actually on the other hand Rochas Man has projection issues, I should've got New Haarlem instead.

I love DHI, it's a perfect date scent.

Is La Nuit similar to Joop Homme? I won't like it then

own them both
    Homme too creamy and very low duration
    La Nuite perfume much better an woody

Love them both equally
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.