Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default New Kerosene - Wood Haven

From MinNY Website.

If you don't like woody notes, then this scent is not for you. Wood Haven is wood, wood, and more....well, wood. The initial kick opens up with tangy grapefruit and citrus, quickly following with spices of pepper and warm ginger. This scent is reminiscent of wood doused with spices and left in the Gobi desert to be long forgotten.

Notes: Bergamot, Tangy Grapefruit, Lemon, Black Pepper, Pink Peppercorns, Juniper Leaf, Ginger Root, Vetiver, Cedar and Gaiac Wood.

****THIS ITEM IS A PRE ORDER AND WILL SHIP AT THE END OF SEPTEMBER****

Default Re: New Kerosene - Wood Haven

This sounds great. I loved TF Oud Wood..which I found to be a pure wood scent for me so the notes sound great for this. I'm wondering how this will come off though. The top notes add a summer feel to it but the mid and basenotes seem like it would make a great Fall scent. Maybe comes off as year round. I know I'm not supposed to categorize but I do.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 15th August 2012 at 01:29 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Power Where You Need It

Crossing my fingers this is not going to be a Norlimbanol bomb...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    lol.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Nice!

Just something unique with woods!
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Anyone else feel this is a renamed WonderWood?
    for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Anyone else feel this is a renamed WonderWood?
    lol.. after cdg's weak attempt, i can only hope it's better. it will come with a price tag as well unfortunately (currently selling at 145$ / 129Euro a pop + mailing charges, hmmmm....)

Quote Originally Posted by danny1967 View Post
    lol.. after cdg's weak attempt, i can only hope it's better. it will come with a price tag as well unfortunately (currently selling at 145$ / 129Euro a pop + mailing charges, hmmmm....)
    Don't wanna go off topic but WW is actually pretty good. Not as CDG'esque as say 2 or Odeur 71 but nonetheless CDG.
    for swap/sale:

Sound Scents

I really liked WonderWood too... That said, this one definitely looks like it is my kind of scent as well. I look forward to trying it.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Has anybody tried this yet?

Basenotes Plus

I have samples on the way but a few people have reviewed it on FB...said it was awesome....Fields of Rubus as well.
    I was born to shoot guns and smell good doin it!

Shane "The Bopper" Stagg

Overpriced and overrated.... and need I say over again, over hyped.

I really don't find there to be a lot of "hype" around the Kerosene line.
    Splits!

Creed GIT, Clive Christian 1872 & X For Men --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...-International

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by yteek View Post
    Overpriced and overrated.... and need I say over again, over hyped.
    Have you sampled this?

Basenotes Plus

Ditto...hard to say that if you have not sampled..
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Have you sampled this?

Shane "The Bopper" Stagg

No I haven't, especially when taking the price into consideration.

Him being such a big part of the community, he does get that extra attention which sometimes end up with bias opinions.

The price is the main thing, maybe if someone would split it then I may buy a decant.

Him being relatively new to the art of fragrance production with the price he set just seems unjustifiable. I'm all for anyone starting their own company, I respect any entrepreneur chasing their goals and wish them success.

When it comes down to it, for example: in the NBA you can't expect a rookie to get the same lucrative contract as a multi champion ballplayer but in time its possible for the rookie to get on that level.

Just my take on things, agree to disagree.

Him being relatively new to the art of fragrance production with the price he set just seems unjustifiable. I'm all for anyone starting their own company, I respect any entrepreneur chasing their goals and wish them success.
    He does set his price up there with Guerlain and Frederic Malle doesn't he?
    for swap/sale:

Not sure what you're implying, are you agreeing with me?

Very much so.
    for swap/sale:

Alright, I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic since you really can't get the tone across on the computer sometimes...but its all good, at least I know I'm not alone.

A newb needs to have a very modest sampling program to get the product/talent out there. I would take some free samples but very unlikely that I'd pay for them.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    He does set his price up there with Guerlain and Frederic Malle doesn't he?
    Malle? Where can you get Malle for $140.00 for 100ml bottle.

If you tried Wood Haven and really liked it, would you pay $140.00 for it?
    Last edited by PalmBeach; 28th August 2012 at 04:57 AM.

Him being such a big part of the community, he does get that extra attention which sometimes end up with bias opinions.

The price is the main thing, maybe if someone would split it then I may buy a decant.

When it comes down to it, for example: in the NBA you can't expect a rookie to get the same lucrative contract as a multi champion ballplayer but in time its possible for the rookie to get on that level.

You can't really say it's overrated if you haven't smelled it though. To continue your analogy, regardless of if the rookie gets the same contract as a veteran, the truth is, he may play a better season than the veteran. And if pay was 'after the fact', after the season, and based on merit and performance, then the rookie would justifiably make more than the veteran. So, if you sample the scent, and like it more than some Malle or Montale or whatever, then it's worth more than those scents, too.

I'm not saying all of his scents are or are not worth it. I've only sampled R'oud Elements and I think it is very good but not something I personally find FBW. But if Kerosene makes a scent I end up loving - well, then his asking price is worth it. It's simple, really. It's all about the composition. Something doesn't smell better or worse just because of the name on the bottle (a fact that is lost on many who have wittingly or unwittingly descended into scent-snobbery.)
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I'm ok with a new perfumer setting whatever price they like. If the fragrances aren't up to par, all the grace and good will in the world won't save the company. I do think it's better to work your way up the ladder so to speak. Perfumery isn't like music, meaning you can have child prodigies in music who are born with a gift and are composing symphonies by age 5, but perfume is an art that requires a very long time to master, Jean Paul Guerlain or Christopher Sheldrake are good examples, much like being a master baker chef who rakes in a 6 figure salary after decades of intense daily training and practice. Most people could probably buy essential oils of their favorite ingredients and make something relatively interesting (in fact Kerosene is not the only YouTuber making fragrances now, I saw videos of anther guy Robert Elder making some too which Luckyscent is going to carry soon, he says), but the true art comes from the fine details. To me that's what separates a truly magnificent fragrance from a rough-around-the-edges one, the masterful subtleties that come with years of intimate knowledge of a perfumer's palette. Kerosene is very new and so I take that into consideration and thus am not expecting an Amouage or Lutens quality fragrance, and if he's passionate then hopefully down the road he will become a master of his domain and create fragrances worthy of fetching the high price tag. His bottles are cool and I love the name Kerosene, I think visually he has it nailed down, and if you watch his videos you can see he is such a great guy and you can't help but want to root for him and hope he sees a great amount of success. I'm very proud of him.

With that said, not to tell anyone how to act but I think if defenders of his constantly ridicule criticism (constructive or otherwise) or seem to gang up or intimidate those who aren't impressed or express doubts with the line it's going to put a lot of people off from the brand. I can trash Interlude Man and nobody will mind, but I have a feeling if I gave my honest opinion on the Kerosene fragrances I've tried I'd get an earful. It kinda puts me off from the brand, and the sad part is it's no fault of Kerosene's but those who feel protective of him. With all that said, I'm very eager to try his 2 new releases and I hope for his continued success.

And where is the Kerosene webpage already?!

The thing is, I'm not defending his brand at all.

First of all, I'm not sure that you couldn't have a Jean Baptiste Grenouille kind of prodigy of perfume - why would such prodigious talent be limited to specific domains? We have math prodigies, language prodigies, music prodigies, memory prodigies, etc. Is olfaction somehow exempt from the list?

That's not to say I think he is an olfactory prodigy. I have no idea - I have only smelled one of his scents and I have no idea how he works. If he hits upon new scents with great balance in a single trial or two, then I'd say that is a prodigy-like talent. Maybe he is doing 500+ trials for each scent. I don't know, so I can't say.

But the point I was trying to make, and it really doesn't have anything specific to do with Kerosene fragrances, but instead with fragrance (or any art) in general, is that if it speaks to you, if you connect with it emotionally, spiritually, or otherwise, it has value. The connection is the value - not the talent or not of the perfumer or musician or whatever. I can be moved by a group of Tibetan monks chanting a single drone note, a punk band playing 3 chords (but with raw passion), or a symphony by Mozart. Is there more technical expertise present in a symphony by Mozart than a 3-chord song? Of course. Does it matter? Not really. What matters is what you connect to - what moves you.

I love Yatagan and Armand Basi PH, both of which I got for < $30. I love Michael Storer's Djin which is admittedly rough around the edges (in a good way, imo) and encapsulates the indie-spirit. I love them as much as the Amouage's I own. Hell, I wish I could have gotten the Amouage's for < $30. I would have loved them no less. I think his pricing will - unfortunately - but shouldn't be used as a method of pre-discrimination. Just smell the scents and rate them as objectively as you can. That's what we should do with all scents - with all art. You don't pay more for a CD full of classical music than you do for some 3-chord punk band (in fact, in that industry there's a reversal-of-sorts and you'd often pay less).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Believe me I couldn't agree more. People love the Molecule 01 fragrances and that's the most basic form of perfumery out there, and I know some folks (and even myself on occasion) who love very unusual, rough, industrial type fragrances. We're totally on the same page there. My point is that some people aren't on our page and I don't think their difference of opinion should preclude them from the conversation. Some people feel the price should reflect a certain craftsmanship or mastery of the product, and I do understand that opinion even if I'm not fully on board with it.

However, I must respectfully disagree on the child prodigy aspect. I can't think of a single house or perfumer who hit the ground running producing masterpieces. If some exist I'm more than open to testing them out and if I'm wrong then I'll eat crow. All of the noses of my favorite perfumes have been doing this 15, 20 some even over 30 years. But again, these are just opinions, I'm not professing to know any great truth.. merely my perceptions.

I'm not sure that a perfume prodigy would really have been possible, logistically, until recently. The thing is, you can put a child in front of a piano and they have full access to all 88 keys. Very, very very few would ever have been able to set a child in front of a perfume organ and give them access to all the "keys" in perfumery. There has been really only one road into the 'secret vaults' of perfumery, and that was through one of the very few major schools, and they offered a very structured and paced path for the students to follow. I'm sure the instructors at these schools saw students of different aptitude, but I doubt that the structure of the course would have really allowed a prodigy to fully exercise their abilities but would instead hold them back somewhat to keep them 'with the rest of the class.'

It is only recently that a person can go out and obtain many (but not nearly all) of the 'keys' to perfumery. The independent can go out and buy a..maybe not an 88 key piano but a 24 key two octave piano, and can begin to exercise the craft on their own now. The thing is, so very few have done this. I'm willing to bet there are would-be olfactory prodigies out there who will never realize that potential because they simply never had the tools put before them to do so.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

That's a good point. I wish that Perfume: The Story of Murder was true just so I could see what a true perfume prodigy's creations would smell like. The scene (in the movie version) where Dustin Hoffman smells the perfume Jean Baptiste Grenouille just made and is suddenly transported into that mystical garden with the exotic girl whispering "I love you" in his ear, now that's a perfume I'd like to try!

I'm entitled to my opinion and like I said agree to disagree. There is really no need to try reason and attempt to change the way I think about these kind of things. When it comes down to fragrance in general, I believe a lot of frags are overpriced and by principal I would never pay retail.

With that being said, this is a money making industry and thats a big part of it. Just seeing the thrown its been set on so suddenly, I remain skeptical of this and nobody has to question it.

Like I said, rather people are willing to admit it or not, with the amount of fans, friends, and followers he has in the community this often leads to bias opinions. I've seen it time and time again when someone dares to question his line then of course people feel the need to pounce on those who share a different perspective.
    Last edited by yteek; 28th August 2012 at 12:41 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Noted and respected.

- - - Updated - - -

I already have...I have all 5 of his previous releases...value is subjective...for me...if I connect with a fragrance 140 is nothing to spend for 100mls which will last me quite a while in my rotation. I loved the earthy & grounded vibe from the 5 I have...havent gotten my samples from the 2 newbies...Im sure I will like those too given the feedback Ive gotten. Incidently, you can get $21 off at MiN is Robes08 or Bros promo code.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Malle? Where can you get Malle for $140.00 for 100ml bottle.

If you tried Wood Haven and really liked it, would you pay $140.00 for it?
    - - - Updated - - -

agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    The thing is, I'm not defending his brand at all.

First of all, I'm not sure that you couldn't have a Jean Baptiste Grenouille kind of prodigy of perfume - why would such prodigious talent be limited to specific domains? We have math prodigies, language prodigies, music prodigies, memory prodigies, etc. Is olfaction somehow exempt from the list?

That's not to say I think he is an olfactory prodigy. I have no idea - I have only smelled one of his scents and I have no idea how he works. If he hits upon new scents with great balance in a single trial or two, then I'd say that is a prodigy-like talent. Maybe he is doing 500+ trials for each scent. I don't know, so I can't say.

But the point I was trying to make, and it really doesn't have anything specific to do with Kerosene fragrances, but instead with fragrance (or any art) in general, is that if it speaks to you, if you connect with it emotionally, spiritually, or otherwise, it has value. The connection is the value - not the talent or not of the perfumer or musician or whatever. I can be moved by a group of Tibetan monks chanting a single drone note, a punk band playing 3 chords (but with raw passion), or a symphony by Mozart. Is there more technical expertise present in a symphony by Mozart than a 3-chord song? Of course. Does it matter? Not really. What matters is what you connect to - what moves you.

I love Yatagan and Armand Basi PH, both of which I got for < $30. I love Michael Storer's Djin which is admittedly rough around the edges (in a good way, imo) and encapsulates the indie-spirit. I love them as much as the Amouage's I own. Hell, I wish I could have gotten the Amouage's for < $30. I would have loved them no less. I think his pricing will - unfortunately - but shouldn't be used as a method of pre-discrimination. Just smell the scents and rate them as objectively as you can. That's what we should do with all scents - with all art. You don't pay more for a CD full of classical music than you do for some 3-chord punk band (in fact, in that industry there's a reversal-of-sorts and you'd often pay less).

Shane "The Bopper" Stagg