Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Noirdrakkar Takes On Bond no.9!! - Chez Bond, NY Oud, Wall Street, New Haarlem and more

I've heard a lot about the Bond no.9 house. For those of you who don't know, it is a niche house located in New York, and almost all of its fragrances are based on New York locations. Nearly all of the bottles are star-shaped. There are people saying they love this house. There are people saying that this house is overrated, even accusing it of being overpriced and copying the ideas of other houses. So I took up on Bond's offer to send me 6 samples for $15.

It shipped very fast. The bon-bon candy wraps were aesthetically pleasing. All, but one, had sprayers (which in my view, are much more convenient than dabbers. I can't make a comment on the house as a whole, but I did pick some of the most popular, acclaimed , talked about scents from the house. These scents as a whole, are enough, to give me at least some impression of the house.

So I have six brief reviews for you (also check out the thread of the guy who tried 22 of them), to help those who want to dive into niche and try this house as well.

Chez Bond
    This is often compared to Cool Water and GIT. At opening, this is better than Cool Water, more natural. But it is nowhere near, AT ALL, the quality of Green Irish Tweed. At drydown, an herbal tea note (think Bulgari Black, Midnight In Paris, Silver Mountain Water) come in, with the similar opening in the background. This is much smoother and creamier than GIT, and especially Cool Water, which are on the sharper side.
    Rating: 7.5/10
    Verdict: With Cool Water at a much lower price, and GIT at a much higher quality, there is not much reason to buy this one. If GIT and Cool Water did not exist though, this fragrance would have probably gotten much more of a good rep from me.

New Haarlem
    Coffee, vanilla, french toast, waffles, and pancakes with butter, powdered sugar and a ton of syrup. I've heard these descriptions about it before, but these are definitely accurate. This is a 100% gourmand fragrance - not just a fragrance that is partly gourmand. This one is entirely gourmand. It is good quality and VERY strong. It projects very well. This scent may be too sweet for you, to smell up close, but if you take in the whole aroma as the wind blows against your body.
    Rating: 8/10
    Verdict: One of the better fragrances of this house. Gourmand lovers need to try this. To me, this seems more like special occasion scent rather than suitable for daily wear. Buy this if you really like it, but honestly I bet 90%+ of you would probably be just fine with a 10-50ml decant rather than a full bottle.

Coney Island
    Melon and a burst of citrus. This goes for a margarita-type scent. It smells like an ocean seabreeze, which is the island feel that they were going for. At opening, this scent is synthetic and borderline terrible. If you can stomach through that, the scent gets a bit better, more subtle, but still nothing special.
    Rating: 6.5/10
    Verdict: Pass, unless based on the notes I described, you are especially interested.

Cooper Square
    Would you call me crazy if I told you this reminded me of Kouros? The opening does a little bit. Except, without those controversial notes in Kouros that make it smell like a public restroom to some people. I see this as a clean version of Kouros. It transitions to being aromatic with light spices and woods. The main note in this is Cognac, and it does smell a bit like booze, but in a good way. One of the more typical, less eccentric fragrances from this house.
    Verdict: This is not an amazing fragrance, but it is pretty good. For those who want to smell nice, but still subtle, try this out.

New York Oud
    I don't think I detected much oud, if any at all. Just roses and plums. This is unisex, men and women can wear this, but probably shouldn't. I do smell a little musk in the background, but overall, this scent can easily be reminiscent of an old woman's perfume. Basically, just take some synthetic agarwood, call it Oud, and jack up the price. That's the name of the game
    Rating: 6/10
    Verdict: This one isn't awful, but still not good. I wouldn't buy this if it were $40. At $300, definitely pass on this one.

Wall Street
    The fruity saltiness (as well as the general vibe of refinedness and wealth) are similar to Millesime Imperial. Everything else is worlds apart. At first, this scent opens with a burst of cucumbers, but the cucumber note then becomes more subtle. It is fresh, crisp, oceanic. The vetiver is in the background and of just the right amount. This reminds me of freshness, just getting out the shower and putting on a fragrance. This would make a great shower gel. It is noticable, but doesn't dominate the fragrance. I think I like MI better, but this one is really good.
    Rating: 9/10
    Verdict: To me, this is something I will likely buy when I get the money. If you have to sample one Bondno9 fragrance, it's this one. This is easily the best, at least in my opinion, of the six I sampled. This one is a gem.

Overall Impressions

The Bond no.9 house neither impressed me nor disappointed me. I see Bondno9 as on par with high end designers such as Chanel, Hermes and Dior (basically, at the $100 priceline). However, for $150-200+, when you look at the niche market, especially with Creed in the same city, I don't think this house compares. Bond no9 is great with projection, longevity, creating scents that are wildly unique and memorable. You might find something you connect with, or you may end your sampling completely clueless. Me, I'm glad I did try them out, but likely, I'm probably not too curious to go and try anything else from this house.

So, definitely comment. Suggest other fragrances to sample from Bond. Discuss about these 6 fragrances. Talk about the Bond house in general. I welcome comments from everyone.
    Last edited by noirdrakkar; 7th September 2012 at 03:53 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Noirdrakkar Takes On Bond no.9!! - Chez Bond, NY Oud, Wall Street, New Haarlem and more

Nice reviews. The thing about Bond, the line is huge and it is hard to know which fragrances you will or will not like, especially when ones taste in scents can be different than others.

I think before you make any firm judgements on Bond as a whole, since you are in a unique position, living so close to the Manhattan, take a trip to the Bond store and try others.

Default Re: Noirdrakkar Takes On Bond no.9!! - Chez Bond, NY Oud, Wall Street, New Haarlem and more

I find that New Haarlem is a fragrance that smells different on me at different times. Sometimes is just a sweet gourmand coffee syrupy scent. Other times I get a citrus vibe with the gourmand and other times I get a woody vibe to it with the gourmand.

Bond's a great house to sample. Buying is a totally different story.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Bond's a great house to sample. Buying is a totally different story.
    Yeah. I agree. I think all the Bond fragrances would be fairest priced at a Dior-Chanel-Hermes level (which is $80-$100 for a medium sized bottle). $150-230, however, is too much to ask, when there are dozens of fragrances under $100 that top most of these.

New Haarlem is probably worth the asking price because it is so original. Wall Street, too, if you like the vibe it gives off. Chez Bond and Cooper Square, I'd buy if there were under $60. Coney Island and NY Oud, you'd have to pay me to add to my collection.

There's a couple that I'd like to own. Bleecker Street is an improvement on RL Purple Label which is close to $100 a bottle so it's not a reach to pay $50 more. Like you said it's hard to justify the price when there's so many great great fragrances you can buy at that price. Another thing about Bond is most of their fragrances are unisex or lean more towards the feminine side. Nothing wrong with that, but not for every fragrance.
    Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Yeah. I agree. I think all the Bond fragrances would be fairest priced at a Dior-Chanel-Hermes level (which is $80-$100 for a medium sized bottle). $150-230, however, is too much to ask, when there are dozens of fragrances under $100 that top most of these.

New Haarlem is probably worth the asking price because it is so original. Wall Street, too, if you like the vibe it gives off. Chez Bond and Cooper Square, I'd buy if there were under $60. Coney Island and NY Oud, you'd have to pay me to add to my collection.

Banned
    Blog Entries

It's really sad because these are very good fragrances. If you have a lot of dispensible income and $200 isn't that big of a deal to you, then go get some Bonds. If not, then save up for something better.

Bond is a big fish compared to designer, but a small fish in the niche world.

Riverside Drive perhaps.

Banned
    Blog Entries

and what does that smell like

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    I've heard a lot about the Bond no.9 house. For those of you who don't know, it is a niche house located in New York, and almost all of its fragrances are based on New York locations. Nearly all of the bottles are star-shaped. There are people saying they love this house. There are people saying that this house is overrated, even accusing it of being overpriced and copying the ideas of other houses. So I took up on Bond's offer to send me 6 samples for $15.

It shipped very fast. The bon-bon candy wraps were aesthetically pleasing. All, but one, had sprayers (which in my view, are much more convenient than dabbers. I can't make a comment on the house as a whole, but I did pick some of the most popular, acclaimed , talked about scents from the house. These scents as a whole, are enough, to give me at least some impression of the house.

So I have six brief reviews for you (also check out the thread of the guy who tried 22 of them), to help those who want to dive into niche and try this house as well.

Chez Bond
    This is often compared to Cool Water and GIT. At opening, this is better than Cool Water, more natural. But it is nowhere near, AT ALL, the quality of Green Irish Tweed. At drydown, an herbal tea note (think Bulgari Black, Midnight In Paris, Silver Mountain Water) come in, with the similar opening in the background. This is much smoother and creamier than GIT, and especially Cool Water, which are on the sharper side.
    Verdict: With Cool Water at a much lower price, and GIT at a much higher quality, there is not much reason to buy this one. If GIT and Cool Water did not exist though, this fragrance would have probably gotten much more of a good rep from me.

New Haarlem
    Coffee, vanilla, french toast, waffles, and pancakes with butter, powdered sugar and a ton of syrup. I've heard these descriptions about it before, but these are definitely accurate. This is a 100% gourmand fragrance - not just a fragrance that is partly gourmand. This one is entirely gourmand. It is good quality and VERY strong. It projects very well. This scent may be too sweet for you, to smell up close, but if you take in the whole aroma as the wind blows against your body.
    Verdict: One of the better fragrances of this house. Gourmand lovers need to try this. To me, this seems more like special occasion scent rather than suitable for daily wear. Buy this if you really like it, but honestly I bet 90%+ of you would probably be just fine with a 10-50ml decant rather than a full bottle.

Coney Island
    Melon and a burst of citrus. This goes for a margarita-type scent. It smells like an ocean seabreeze, which is the island feel that they were going for. At opening, this scent is synthetic and borderline terrible. If you can stomach through that, the scent gets a bit better, more subtle, but still nothing special.
    Rating: 6.5/10
    Verdict: Pass, unless based on the notes I described, you are especially interested.

Cooper Square
    Would you call me crazy if I told you this reminded me of Kouros? The opening does a little bit. Except, without those controversial notes in Kouros that make it smell like a public restroom to some people. I see this as a clean version of Kouros. It transitions to being aromatic with light spices and woods. The main note in this is Cognac, and it does smell a bit like booze, but in a good way. One of the more typical, less eccentric fragrances from this house.
    Verdict: This is not an amazing fragrance, but it is pretty good. For those who want to smell nice, but still subtle, try this out.

New York Oud
    I don't think I detected much oud, if any at all. Just roses and plums. This is unisex, men and women can wear this, but probably shouldn't. I do smell a little musk in the background, but overall, this scent can easily be reminiscent of an old woman's perfume. Basically, just take some synthetic agarwood, call it Oud, and jack up the price. That's the name of the game
    Rating: 6/10
    Verdict: This one isn't awful, but still not good. I wouldn't buy this if it were $40. At $300, definitely pass on this one.

Wall Street
    The fruity saltiness (as well as the general vibe of refinedness and wealth) are similar to Millesime Imperial. Everything else is worlds apart. At first, this scent opens with a burst of cucumbers, but the cucumber note then becomes more subtle. It is fresh, crisp, oceanic. The vetiver is in the background and of just the right amount. This reminds me of freshness, just getting out the shower and putting on a fragrance. This would make a great shower gel. It is noticable, but doesn't dominate the fragrance. I think I like MI better, but this one is really good.
    Rating: 9/10
    Verdict: To me, this is something I will likely buy when I get the money. If you have to sample one Bondno9 fragrance, it's this one. This is easily the best, at least in my opinion, of the six I sampled. This one is a gem.

Overall Impressions

The Bond no.9 house neither impressed me nor disappointed me. I see Bondno9 as on par with high end designers such as Chanel, Hermes and Dior (basically, at the $100 priceline). However, for $150-200+, when you look at the niche market, especially with Creed in the same city, I don't think this house compares. Bond no9 is great with projection, longevity, creating scents that are wildly unique and memorable. You might find something you connect with, or you may end your sampling completely clueless. Me, I'm glad I did try them out, but likely, I'm probably not too curious to go and try anything else from this house.

So, definitely comment. Suggest other fragrances to sample from Bond. Discuss about these 6 fragrances. Talk about the Bond house in general. I welcome comments from everyone.
    Great review - I found New Haarleem quite spicy to my nose, as the coffee and vanilla seem quite powerful.
    I am impressed with your reviews and definitely think you should continue them

Mark me as one who can't stand Wall Street...the dry down eats at my brain until there's nothing left but a headache.

I do really enjoy Coney Island and NY Oud though. Of course with most fragrances you aren't going to get real Oud in it, but I find Bond's take on it to not be terrible, actually quite enjoyable with tenacious longevity.

Banned
    Blog Entries

thanks for your support 1vibezzz

I find your review of New Haarlem spot on. It is in EVERY sense, a straight gourmand, very strong and is NOT meant to be smelled up close IMO either. If you don't apply too strongly and "take it in" from a distance as it projects more softly, I find it really nice, classy, sophisticated, and as you stated, unique. It will set you apart and get you noticed, without a doubt. I also couldn't see wearing it extremely often, but on more special occasions as to truly appreciate it more. A small decant, or even a few samples would likely last me quite a while. Absolutely one of their more unique and well-done fragrances.