Code of Conduct

Default L'artisan parfumeur 'Tea for Two' discontinued - similar scents?

Hello out there,

just when I discovered the abovementioned scent I also found out that it's discontinued and that I was just lucky to buy one of the last bottles.

Anyone experienced out there who knows similar fragrances?

Thanx for advice:-)

J.

So here is the result in summary:
    Advice numero uno: Try to buy (I was lucky http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.as....yah.ukbr~UKMC.)
    Alternatives to t42:
    Serge Lutens Five O'Clock Au Gingembre (see Post #3)
    CB I Hate Perfume's Russian Caravan Tea (see Post #3)
    Gucci Pour Homme II (see Post #4 ... and#8)
    Etat Libre d'Orange Noel au Balcon (see Post #7,10, 15 but 22)
    Victor & Rolf Spicebomb (see Post #10)
    L'Occitane Eau des Baux (see Post #13)
    Fendi Theorema (see Post #14)
    Parfume d'Empire Ambre Russe (see Post #18,24)
    Jean-Charles Brosseau Thé Brun (see Post #19 ... seems to be hard to get)
    Amouage Tribute Attar (see Post #20)
    Cartier Le Treizieme Heure (see Post #21)
    Bvlgari Black (see Post #23)
    Bvlgari Pour Homme (see Post #25)
    Hermès Ambre Narguilé (see Post #27)
    Parfumerie Generale Un Crime Exotique (see Post #32)
    Bois 1920 Sushi Imperiale (see Post #32)
    Serge Lutens Feminite du Bois (see Post #32)
    Tauer Orange Star (see Post #32)
    Last edited by The Monaco; 21st September 2012 at 09:42 AM.

Default Re: L'artisan parfumeur 'Tea for Two' discontinued - similar scents?

You can still find Tea for Two on other online retailer sites. Last I checked, Amazon was still selling it. Try also searching for it on Google product search: www.froogle.com

l'Artisan used to still sell it for their European customers, not sure if they still do though.

Good luck.

This stuff is always on eBay for below retail cost. It may be discontinued but it's certainly not hard to find.

But to your question, Lutens Five O'Clock Au Gingembre and CB I Hate Perfume's Russian Caravan Tea are both really well done tea scents, but I think Tea For Two is probably my favorite. It is the most bizarre thing that they'd want to discontinue it.

Gucci Pour Homme II is about as close as you can get. Actually I like GPHII better. A very acceptable alternative.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Brückner - Aoud 1
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Quote Originally Posted by lm6 View Post
    It is the most bizarre thing that they'd want to discontinue it.
    I agree. I've tried other l'Artisan fragrances (Al-Oudh, Dzing!, Timbuktu), and Tea for Two is my ultimate favorite. I first thought they only discontinued it in the US, but now, even their European sites have it listed as "Out of Stock".

Oh well, glad I got my bottle earlier this year.

Also noticed that it seems to pop up quite a bit on Ebay for sale.

Basenotes Institution

Try Noel au Balcon by Etat Libre d'Orange, it is very similar to Tea for Two.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Sur la Plage

Gucci PH II is not similar nor a substitute for the far superior Tea for Two.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Hi,

here's the mail answer from l'ap:
    "Dear Sir:

Thank you kindly for your email. Indeed Tea for Two has been discontinued and it is no longer in production. Unfortunately we no longer have any bottles left in stock at the online boutique however you might still be able to find some at the shops.

Kind regards,

Service Clientèle

L'Artisan Parfumeur"

So it's definitive.

Tried GPHII yesterday and to my humble nose, it's rather close, but much weaker, like an echo of tft.

It's a real shame they are discontinuing this gem. Shame on you, L'Artisan! I would trade half of their catalogue just for this one.
    Five O'Clock is somewhat similar without the smoky aspect. Noel Au Balcon, as Mikeperez mentioned, is pretty close as well, and even Spicebomb has a similar vibe, albeit more synthetic-smelling.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    It's a real shame they are discontinuing this gem. Shame on you, L'Artisan! I would trade half of their catalogue just for this one.
    +1 ... Not sure what factors made them decide to go that route. I'm wondering if it was too difficult to produce (maybe due to the ingredients). Or maybe low sales.

Tea for Two is the l'Artisan fragrance I enjoy the most.

That's rather odd. It was one of L'Artisan's best offerings.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

May I suggest you try L'Occitane Eau des Baux?
    Not the same, but fit for the same purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by The Monaco View Post
    .......Anyone experienced out there who knows similar fragrances?.....
    Tea for Two is excellent. One of things that makes it great is the fact that it gets a lot of its sweetness from things other than vanilla. Mainly it just smells great.

Theorema
    (women's) is a paragon of spicy orientals. It's smoother, clearer, more natural, lacks the smoke but uses the same spice theme. As rich and substantial but a little more abstract and beautiful than Tea for Two. It's an easy and intelligent gourmand whose spices and woods give a purifying feel to the typically heavy gourmand base notes. According to Giacobetti it's one of favorite fragrances. Makes sense because it fits in with her transparent style. It's also easily worn by men.
    Last edited by pluran; 23rd August 2012 at 07:14 PM.

Well that's sad. Tea for Two is a fantastic scent - not many "tea orientals" around. I can't think of anything similar, but I'd trust Mikeperez above...
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Plus

Get the real thing. I got an extra one from one of the basenoters. Also not too hard or expensive to find on eBay. Do it now

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    Get the real thing. I got an extra one from one of the basenoters. Also not too hard or expensive to find on eBay. Do it now
    ^^^ This. Better get it while it lasts. Just a matter of time where it won't even be found by 3rd party retailers and the price would end up being jacked up a la Pure Coffee.

I checked just now and it's still on Amazon.

First, I agree that you should go ahead and get it while still available if you like Tea for Two. Don't want to pay Vintage Tabarome/Vetiver 48 prices for it later...which could happen, as TfT has many fans.

But that aside, I just thought of something which shares some qualities (oriental qualities, smoky tea presence) with TfT. That scent is Ambre Russe. It is in no way a dead ringer, but a somewhat similar experience...replace the smoky opening blast with liquor and up the sweetness. Ambre Russe is a great scent...even better than TfT, in my opinion.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Banned

Try:

Thé Brun by Jean-Charles Brosseau - Upon application, one is treated to a lovely, black tea accord. The smoky and full-bodied, lapsang souchong wafts about commingling with the orangey and subtly peppery bergamot, as well as wisps of vanilla and cinnamon. Transitioning to the heart, florals, namely, a tutti-frutti jasmine, the sweetly powdery woodiness of violet, and the sweetish citrus of orange blossom, brew with the aromatic tea. Segueing to the robust base, the fragrant tea is bouyed by Brazillian rosewood, with its spicy, floral facets. A spicy sweetness, akin to anise, of cumin, with a whisper of sweat, couples with an exotic, floral and woody musk and a somewhat smoky and slightly powdery lavender to enhance the aromatics. An enticing drydown ensues. This wonderous, masculine composition is part of the Homme Collection, and has average projection, becoming a skin scent after a couple of hours, and average longevity. Its reasonable, price point only heightens its appeal.

Amouage Tribute Attar... then again, I get more of a tobacco accord rather than tea out of T42.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Le Treizieme Heure (Cartier) is one of the most interesting tea inclined fragrances I have come across in the last few years. It's not a 'replacement' for Tea for Two (which I own and like a lot) by any means but if tea is your thing this one is worth a sniff. It's hard to pin down but Lapsang Soochong, Yerbamate and a light sense of 'clean dry smoke' might be a start . . .

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Try Noel au Balcon by Etat Libre d'Orange, it is very similar to Tea for Two.
    To me these are complete polar opposites. I have both and can smell no similarity.
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

Banned

If you like Tea for Two you might take a look at Bvlgari Black. Of course they don't smell similar, but the more I think about it I find at least a) the tea-accord and b) the smoky aura something that connects them. Although Black is more vanilla-sweetness and not so "special" in the way pluran made Tea for Two out to be, I find Black's sweetness not overdone.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    First, I agree that you should go ahead and get it while still available if you like Tea for Two. Don't want to pay Vintage Tabarome/Vetiver 48 prices for it later...which could happen, as TfT has many fans.

But that aside, I just thought of something which shares some qualities (oriental qualities, smoky tea presence) with TfT. That scent is Ambre Russe. It is in no way a dead ringer, but a somewhat similar experience...replace the smoky opening blast with liquor and up the sweetness. Ambre Russe is a great scent...even better than TfT, in my opinion.
    Just looking at the notes of Ambre Russe has piqued my interested.

Notes (as listed on LuckyScent):
    tea, incense, vodka, champagne, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, ambergris, vanilla, leather

The basenotes reviews are pretty good too. Placing this frag on my soon-to-sample list. Thanks LiveJazz!

Isn't Bulgari Pour Homme similar? I know it's a tea-scented fragrance (although to my nose smells like dried-out tea bags, ha).
    Current favorites:

CH Men by Carolina Herrera
    Bogart Pour Homme
    Black Vines by Kerosene
    Piment Brulant by L’Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    Hope it's treating you well good sir! I cant wait til fall/winter so I can wear this more often.

Tea for Two was still sold in Paris (in l'Artisan's Boutiques, in their department stores corners and also online) during the last sales (50% off); I guess they still have stock for next sales...

Hermès Ambre Narguilé is rather close, although less smoky but more refined

Blog Entries

I love Tea For Two, Strawberrynet still have it, And i got a total 4% discount, and free gift. Good deal

Hello out there,

thank you very much for the many good hints. I'm looking foward to try them all.I already tried some.
    Meanwhile I succeeded in getting two 100ml bottles from qvc.co.uk for 55 GBP each. Which is about 150€ inkl. Postage to Germany, which means: a very good deal.
    Here's the link: http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.as....yah.ukbr~UKMC.
    I'm a tea fan, I guess :-)

Monaco

I just purchased a bottle at Bluemercury in Philly. The SA said that they have plenty in stock. ?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Gucci Pour Homme II is about as close as you can get. Actually I like GPHII better. A very acceptable alternative.
    GPH2 is discontinued as well
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

That's just wrong!

I can't think of anything that's actually a replacement, but some things that appeal to the same mood for me are:

Parfumerie Generale Un Crime Exotique
    Bois 1920 Sushi Imperiale
    Serge Lutens Feminite du Bois
    Tauer Orange Star

Blog Entries

There's still loads of Tea for Two available. I Bought 3 bottles when I read it was being discontinued, they are now hiding in a drawer somewhere. Good luck with your search for an alternative.

A month ago 100ml was on sale for just over £30 at an online discounter. Same price as Vanilla Absolument. At the time I didn't want to blind buy it but now wish I had

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Gucci PH II is not similar nor a substitute for the far superior Tea for Two.
    Agree with this. GCPHII shares some similarities with Tea for Two, but Tea for Two is a far superior scent. If you are concerned about running out, I would purchase some back up bottles from Amazon, eBay, etc. while you can still get them.