Code of Conduct

Default SL Bell Jars Finally in the US

Just saw a Bois de Jasmin article on the availability of the bell jars here (apologies if it's been posted but I didn't see posted anywhere).

http://boisdejasmin.com/2012/08/serg...in-the-us.html (article links to the original Barneys article here):

http://thewindow.barneys.com/barneys...loche-bottles/

Would love to know if anyone has further info on this, prices etc.

Sur la Plage

Default Re: SL Bell Jars Finally in the US

Someone told me $300 - but I did not confirm it.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Thanks for the info, that's, um, rather pricey, considering the prices in Europe are 110 euro. Still, good to know the option is there.

I've heard prices of $260-$290...cheaper to pay someone to buy it, ship it from France, and include a tip...

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    I've heard prices of $260-$290...cheaper to pay someone to buy it, ship it from France, and include a tip...
    Don't forget to add on tax (possible) and shipping.....
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

Wonderful news!
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Don't forget to add on tax (possible) and shipping.....
    Unfortunately, since they hav an outlet store in Florida, they have to charge sales tax, but shipping is free.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Unfortunately, since they hav an outlet store in Florida, they have to charge sales tax, but shipping is free.
    I called them and they said that most of them were $300 and a few were $290 - I did not ask which ones. They also said phone orders have a $12 shipping charge - but that they would wave the shipping fee.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    They also said phone orders have a $12 shipping charge - but that they would wave the shipping fee.
    Isn't that nice of them [insert sarcasm here].

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

How wonderfully considerate of them (super sarcasm here).

queen of the universe

Heh—just as my friend is enroute from Paris with a bell jar of Sarrasins for me.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Buy a bigger bottle, pay more per ml .... hmmm. SL pricing was already pretty inconsistent between US and France and between the spray bottles and the bell in France. These are consistently a ripoff.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Well, the US pricing certainly is a rip-off! It does tell the whole story what's it about, doesn't it?
    Here in Europe the pricing is something like 95 Euros for the 50 ml Export and 130 for a 75 ml bell jar. That makes the bell jar slightly cheaper per ml. The point is that to me the Serge Lutens stars (until further reformulation) are among the bell jar only: Rose de Nuit, Sarrasins, La Myrrhe, Fourreau Noir.

The 50 ml are at 99 euros now (blacks labels and limited exports)

Default Serge Lutens Bell Jars at Barney's...for $290

I was so stoked to hear that the flagship Barney's on Madison Ave in NYC staterted carrying the Serge Lutens Bell Jars! I called as soon as I found out to place and order for Boxeuses. My glee came to a grinding halt when the salesperson told me my total was going to be $290 for one 75ml bell jar. Since the bell jars aren't available in the US, I can understand increasing the price a bit, but $290 is absurd considering they go for 125 euros in Paris which (given the current exchange rate) ends up being about 150-160 USD. I'll also point out that even when the value of the euro was at its peak in July 2008, the cost of bell jars in USD was right around $200.

Don't get me wrong. I have no problem spending money on fragrances. I have already spent upwards of $10,000 on my collection and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon. I also don't have problems dropping a lot of money on one bottle. What I do have a problem with is getting so blatantly ripped off. The fact that you can purchase two 50ml bottles for less than the price of 75ml bell jar is just a joke. I'll just bite the bullet and ask my cousin to order them for me and ship them across the Atlantic.
    Last edited by andregooren; 16th August 2012 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Added exchange rate info from 2008

Default Re: Serge Lutens Bell Jars at Barney's...for $290

The exclusives are certainly worth the doubled price (compared to many other things that cost even more). But I agree with you that at those prices, one might want to wait for the right occasion in Paris (it helps of course that my family is in Europe, of course).

Unfortunately, many other European products suffer the same fate. I like Italian furniture, and the mark-up is even larger.

cacio

It is an essential practice of luxury brand management to develop and control a highly consistent pricing policy between marketplaces. In this case it doesn't seem to occur to SL Fragrances (the company) that their New York based potential customers are aware of what a bell jar is and how much it costs. And that they do travel between New York and Paris.

Yikes.

Despite the high price, if people want it badly enough, they'll shell out the money.

Too much. That price point is absurd.

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One could buy one of these empty bell jars, http://surrendertochance.com/serge-l...ice-of-bottle/ then fill it up with 1-2 bottles of the scents that are available in 50 ml for $88-140 apiece from online discounters = ~$120-240 total with some extra shipping here or there. Limited options of bell jars, though.

Of course this wouldn't work out for the bell jar exclusives, as decants of those to fill up a 75 ml bell jar of Boxeuses would run $300+ for the perfume plus $4.99 for the jar and box, but free shipping. The bell jar exclusives in full sometimes pop up on these random decant websites for somewhat less than the $290. But for all of this hubbub, the Paris shopper service on eBay might be less hassle.

There are a lot of uneducated consumers out there and retailers are going to advantage of that. I'm often astounded by some of the retail prices I've seen here in Oz. AUD$200 for 50ml Fille en Aiguilles (that is US$210 folks), AUD$330 for 100ml Vetiver Extraordinaire (US$347), Annick Goutals going for over AUD$200. Then again maybe ignorance is bliss.

Yeah, that's what I assume anytime I see a bottle of Sables on eBay for $150, or a random SL for $200, that the seller is just hoping for some clueless customer to assume its a good deal and buy it without doing any research.

Suzan from Shop France is a far superior choice for Americans looking to score a bell jar. She is incredibly nice to deal with and she'll save you about $60-75 off what Barney's would charge. For 75 ml it's cheaper to get Tonka Imperiale or SDV than to go through Barney's for a SL bell jar. Ridiculous.

It's not an arbitrary figure.
    They've done research and came up with this figure. Their results indicate it'll sell nicely enough at tht price point to generate a profit.

for swap/sale:

i wouldn't pay that much

Too expensive.

I love Boxeuses and Miel de Bois, these bell jar bottles are very expensive, however it's cheaper than Frederic Malle Carnal Flower, $340 3.4oz bottle. Also, I'd like to point out the Lutens makeup at Barneys is actually cheaper than in Paris but it comes in regular packaging whereas at the Palais Royal makeup comes in deluxe packaging.

The Lutens boutique at Barneys New York is spectacular, the bell jars and makeup presentation is amazing! I bought Miel de Bois and Boxeuses plus some Lutens makeup, nail polish and lipsticks.

It's nice to see someone else getting screwed on price for a change , it's usually us Brits LOL

Just wondering if anyone has been buying these since this happened last summer. I'm tempted by La Myrrhe but I keep thinking maybe it will show up on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by My_pep_pep View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has been buying these since this happened last summer. I'm tempted by La Myrrhe but I keep thinking maybe it will show up on ebay.
    Go for it!

La myrrhe is not passable.

for swap/sale:

My pep
    I don't think the bell jars show up on ebay for reasonable prices. As hedonist was saying, la myrrhe is excellent. If you have the chance to purchase in Paris, it's cheaper there, otherwise, there is no other way around.

cacio

I have a friend currently in Paris, if he were to ship me a couple of bottles (in NY), what would the shipping/tax run?

I don't know shipping rates in France, it won't be cheap, perhaps $20-30, still, less than the huge price difference. The problem is, I think alcohol is technically forbidden in mail to the US. If you use courier, it's going to be very expensive, perhaps $50 or so, and again, I'm not sure it is allowed anymore. Of course, the cheapest thing would be for your friend to bring back the stuff in his luggage, if he has space.

cacio

He's not coming back to the US, ha. I do think he will end up in Sweden next, but I dunno that it'd be any easier from there.