Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: My Amouage Attar Addiction

Lol! Where and which one do I start? Each one is so unique but so good. I've however seen one person write either on BN or Fragrantica that the Attars apart from Tribute and Homage are not all that, but that is his or her view........ I personally love all the Amouage attars and would recommend them all. Each one that I've are so unique and so well composed its like asking yourself when you have a lot of children who is your favourite child.........and I have 16 of them....attars that is! Yes, yes I know I'm nuts and an addict......

Hi!
    My name's Lyn & I'd like to join Amanon too.
    Mine's a classic story - started on the soft stuff in the 1960's (Misouko, Joy, etc.), then was introduced to Mysore Sandal, patchouli, ylangy-ylang oils, etc. by friends in London, had it under a bit of control for a while during active parent duties, but then graduated to the real stuff - Amouage attars.
    Nothing else will do!
    Don't agree that Homage/Tribute are the only decent ones.
    The only thing saving me is that some are too strong for me to wear here & vet's bills!

Blog Entries

Oh, I feel myself slipping deeper into addiction...
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    Oh, I feel myself slipping deeper into addiction...
    Well, there's way worse things to be addicted to!

Expensive addiction

Quote Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
    Expensive addiction
    Agreed!
    But at least they go a long way & keep well - keep telling ourselves that & it's not so bad...

I enjoyed smelling a few of these attars but I couldn't help being reminded of Muslim street vendors.

If you go to Brooklyn or Harlem you can find street vendors selling many exotic attars for $3/5 dollars a vile. They aren't Amouage quality of course but they are in a similar genre. Ie. Kush Red Musk etc.

Yes, but most of the other houses' low end attars that I've tried (admittedly not that many) have not been a patch on the Amouage ones - not to say that it wouldn't be fun to be let loose in the Middle East & really discover stuff!
    A lot seem to use more artificial ingredients, but the Amouage ones that I've tried so far (Tribute, Homage, Al Shomoukh, Molook, Silver Oudh, sandalwood, rose, Badr al Bedour, Salamah) have all been pretty distinct & lacking that generic 'off' note that the cheap ones seem to share.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Agreed!
    But at least they go a long way & keep well - keep telling ourselves that & it's not so bad...
    lol indeed. I keep telling myself that...so I don't feel to bad about this fragrance addiction. I know others around me seeing as a waste of money...But as long as I like it and can afford it...I see no harm

Quote Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
    lol indeed. I keep telling myself that...so I don't feel to bad about this fragrance addiction. I know others around me seeing as a waste of money...But as long as I like it and can afford it...I see no harm
    Well, we're not hurting anyone - so enjoy!
    Life's short.

Quote Originally Posted by sultanpasha View Post
    Paul you talkin about sandal as in sandal wood by Amouage? I got it but is just plain ol mysore s.wood. Tenacious and longlasting and buttery ......but kinda Neh! ......you should try Majan if you can find it. Love it so much have two bottles of it! Majan is an very interesting take on sandal wood
    I wasnt too impressed with the Sandalwood attar either. Really liked Asrar and Al Mas though, but the one I ended up buying last time was Tayyiba. Delicious!
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by iivanita View Post
    Good question, its very easy to put something that is not mysore sandalwood, i doubt i could tell the difference if i never smelled it before:-) the price can tell a lot, but if this sandalwood is real indian it must be old, and i read price goes up by 25 % every year....in 2009 it could be bought for 60 pounds so the price of the attar is much higher now and is in line with that..but i would like to know as well if its still real like it used to be:-)

And on the musks:-) i believe Al Shomoukh is great! But i have noticed that i am sensitive to synthetic musks, and there are no real stuff nowdays, that's like a sure thing:-) ...that musk starts annoying me after some time, and i sometimes get something like soar note, i can not explain...i wear certain perfume and after 20 wearings, and usually only after 3_5 wearings...i keep noticing something banal and soar....and i connected this to musk, because Dia extrait has it in the base....and i don't think they use some cheap stuff in there:-) ?

And i read one guy wrote for al shomoukh , that musk in it kills it for him:-) , its not everyone who is overly sensitive to musks....so i do believe its gorgeous perfume! Was just not sure for myself....... and the bottle there was the real thing :-) was great opportunity

I tried Memoir for woman, i believe that one has the same white musk in it? Tested it just one time, and is yummie
    The Amouage Sandalwood (that I have had for a few years) is definitely Mysore imo - less strong than that which was available in the 1960's/70's, but the best that I have managed to find here in recent times. It has absolutely no 'off' notes (which new ones can).Don't expect much sillage, but it has the true sandalwood scent.

Tayyiba is excellent!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    I wasnt too impressed with the Sandalwood attar either. Really liked Asrar and Al Mas though, but the one I ended up buying last time was Tayyiba. Delicious!
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." Winston Churchill

Blog Entries

Oudh Al Khaloud is my holy grail but at $2000+ an ounce, It will have to stay my holy grail...

OAK (kholoudh) is very nice and powerfully tenacious but for some reason I was not wowed. Great as a single scent and for layering but for me lacked a certain wow factor. For the price I've smelt better oudhs that is a single oudh and not a blend. To me OAK is definitely a blend of Hindi and cambodi

I was very excited to get a bottle of the rare Sandal attar but honestly have not used it that much. It is a bit overwhelming. Just a tiny drop behind the ear is causing nose fatigue for me.

Blog Entries

Ok, this is frustrating, I have been outbid again on an Amouage Attar. A USED Asrar 12ml just sold on EBAY ...ridiculous thing is, the winner paid about the same price as you can buy a new one online. This was a USED bottle!!!! People get hyped up bidding and get carried away. They paid $195 including shipping, and I can get it new for $207 from Dubaishop.com!!!!. I guess I will stick to retail and forget EBAY...If you were the winner, I didn't mean to pick on you, Congrats!!!

Ok, this is frustrating, I have been outbid again on an Amouage Attar. A USED Asrar 12ml just sold on EBAY ...ridiculous thing is, the winner paid about the same price as you can buy a new one online. This was a USED bottle!!!! People get hyped up bidding and get carried away. They paid $195 including shipping, and I can get it new for $207 from Dubaishop.com!!!!. I guess I will stick to retail and forget EBAY...If you were the winner, I didn't mean to pick on you, Congrats!!!
    Haha - not guilty!
    Someone listed an older Homage at a mad price, but re-listed it reduced - still no cheaper than available elsewhere online.

I thought about bidding on that. I think a lot of people like the convenience of US shipping so they're willing to bid higher on it. Also, factor in shipping from Dubaishop as at least $25.

mmm, true - this guy ships fast & cheap (to the U.K. anyway) & has 'old' Homage/Tribute 12ml, plus apparently other attars that are not online.
    http://www.universalperfumesandcosme...facturer_id=18

mmm, true - this guy ships fast & cheap (to the U.K. anyway) & has 'old' Homage/Tribute 12ml, plus apparently other attars that are not online.
    Very nice place to deal with. I ordered something from him a while ago and couldn't have been happier. That old tribute is very tempting...and I already own that one!

Oh, it's difficult!

Blog Entries

True about Universalperfumes...I bought a 30ml bottle of Tribute from him for $507 shipping included...I've seen it going for $600 on EBAY new in box...You just have to look...EBAY isn't always the best deal...I've ranted and raved when someone outbids me and pays more than retail for a half bottle of something...But my laptop only sits and stares at me...

People seem to think that ebay must always be cheapest, maybe they can't use a search engine!

Quote Originally Posted by sultanpasha View Post
    OAK (kholoudh) is very nice and powerfully tenacious but for some reason I was not wowed. Great as a single scent and for layering but for me lacked a certain wow factor. For the price I've smelt better oudhs that is a single oudh and not a blend. To me OAK is definitely a blend of Hindi and cambodi
    I tend to be the single oud fan also.

Oudh Al Khaloud is my holy grail but at $2000+ an ounce, It will have to stay my holy grail...
    pm me if you would be interested.
    Oudh Al Masarat 6ML
    Silver Oud Attar 12 ml
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." Winston Churchill

Just. PM'd you

So it is a sad day here as for some reason I am not getting AL Shomukh now. Some prob in Heathrow customs.... Anyone have a clue what that is about???
    Paul

Hi! Tried 2 explain but ur inbox is full!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/323...July-15th-2013!
    We are not amused!
    Last edited by lpp; 9th February 2013 at 06:35 PM.

FUCK!!!!!
    sorry if this is rude but I think at this time it fits!!!!!!!
    We are not amused!

It's actually not quite rude enough to describe how we feel!

Blog Entries

We are not amused!
    This is slowly happening in the USA also...It is about batteries in laptops overheating on planes, and perfumes "spontaneously combusting" I have had several arguments with our post mistress, I explain that attar oil isn't an alcohol, and is as safe as corn oil...She goes on and on about ORM-D Hazardous material forms, and refuses to allow me to send frags overseas. I put "beauty products" on the custom form, but it is a small town, and she knows me, so questions everything. Str8tshooter, the thing that really sucks is that UK customs doesn't know what they are talking about b/c you bought straight Attar oil, it isn't flammable like alcohol based perfumes...at least not at the temps. inside an airplane. Once again thank the liberal politicians who believe they must protect everyone from harm...to the point of ridiculousness.

Great attar collection. Being (South) Asian, I'm used to attar (or 'itr as we say correctly!), but have only now started thinking of how superior it is to synthetic modern perfumes. The problem is getting pure, undiluted, stuff in Europe is (a) hard (b) expensive
    (c) both!

This is a great thread through...I have seen Amouage Homage for 270 euros in Germany for 12 ml.
    "Three things of this (temporal) world have been made beloved to me: women, PERFUME, and the coolness of my eyes is in prayer" -- Prophet Muhammad (upon him be the peace and blessings of God).

Yes, totally agree there

We've been so privileged to experience them here more easily in recent years.
    You may find that the Amouage ones have been reformulated a bit recently.

[
    Last edited by lpp; 19th March 2013 at 02:01 PM.

For someone who likes oud or rich/dark scents aka. jubilation, interlude, which do you recommend?
    Last edited by socalwoman; 26th March 2013 at 09:59 AM.

Al Shomoukh (if you can find it) , Badr Al Badour, Molook are oudy ones.
    Silver Oudh is very wearable imo. & just about unisex.
    I haven't tried all of them 'though, so others may be more helpful.
    Also, mine were older batches.
    Last edited by lpp; 20th March 2013 at 07:09 PM.

Amouage Attars have ridiculous batch variations, giving Aventus competition lol. Much prefer the attars from ASAQ and Ajmal.

Well, any product containing natural ingredients will be subject to batch variation.

I have had some lovely oils from ASAQ too, but in the U.K. we have recently had severe shipping restrictions imposed and the ones available on the local market are different to those obtained at source imo.

And IFRA restrictions appear to be an Industry problem, so unless we know someone able to obtain from source, it's an academic point at best, although not a problem for me.

U.K. residents may order direct from Lowndes Street, which is most helpful now that we are mainly restricted to the local market.
    Last edited by lpp; 21st March 2013 at 07:33 PM.

A rare view of some of my collection.
    Yes! Yes! I know I should not expose my collection to bright sunlight but it was just for few minutes......

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sred...RNw&feat=email
    Last edited by sultanpasha; 7th April 2013 at 03:10 PM.

Ooh, I'm envious, what a wonderful collection!

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Ooh, I'm envious, what a wonderful collection!

cacio
    God Bless you matey!

What an amazing collection!
    I'm jealous!
    Enjoy them all....

Enjoy

Lol! Bless you all! Only thing is the box doesn't shut properly as the 30ml attar bottles are too tall....but overall love my little treasure chest and all its smelly treasures!

Banned

when i recieve my 2 attars i will make a picture as well of my quartet collection lol

lovely!!!! i use wooden boxes for my samples

you kept a secret which one you own Sultanpasha!

this is all a man/woman needs one small wooden box lol

That box was a gift from my wife to store the attars bless her.
    Lol! Interms of what they are, may just keep it a secret...... :-P

Banned

i hope your wife can use some of those too lol....what is her favourite?

just saw it you have Amouage Gold??? in oil?? what is that?

Lol, ofcourse she does and can or I will end up with a nagging headache :-P
    She loves Tayibah.
    That's just plain old Gold parfum apparently old formulation or at least that's what I'm told.

Quote Originally Posted by iivanita View Post
    Good question, its very easy to put something that is not mysore sandalwood, i doubt i could tell the difference if i never smelled it before:-) the price can tell a lot, but if this sandalwood is real indian it must be old, and i read price goes up by 25 % every year....in 2009 it could be bought for 60 pounds so the price of the attar is much higher now and is in line with that..but i would like to know as well if its still real like it used to be:-)

And on the musks:-) i believe Al Shomoukh is great! But i have noticed that i am sensitive to synthetic musks, and there are no real stuff nowdays, that's like a sure thing:-) ...that musk starts annoying me after some time, and i sometimes get something like soar note, i can not explain...i wear certain perfume and after 20 wearings, and usually only after 3_5 wearings...i keep noticing something banal and soar....and i connected this to musk, because Dia extrait has it in the base....and i don't think they use some cheap stuff in there:-) ?

And i read one guy wrote for al shomoukh , that musk in it kills it for him:-) , its not everyone who is overly sensitive to musks....so i do believe its gorgeous perfume! Was just not sure for myself....... and the bottle there was the real thing :-) was great opportunity

I tried Memoir for woman, i believe that one has the same white musk in it? Tested it just one time, and is yummie
    Memoir woman is indeed yummy. It's my favourite Amouage and I always enjoy wearing it!

My old Shomoukh was very strong stuff, too strong for me so I didn't really wear it and it didn't seem synthetic to me, but I never really persisted with it and have generally avoided musks anyway.

Those 'Gold' samples in my experience are not quite identical to the original 'mosque bottle' Gold, may have suffered from storage like some old Homage & have slightly less longevity, slightly less rich but a good idea of the original.

I personally feel that the sandalwood problem may be one of the issues with Amouage 'attars'.
    Last edited by lpp; 10th April 2013 at 08:53 AM.

Topping this thread because these rare (now rarer) attars are so coveted, at least by me!
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    this is where I got them from
    http://www.asf-dubaishop.com
    They dont reply back to emails. Are they still legit?

I tried to order in the last year or so, but the stock levels shown on the site were extraordinarily inaccurate and the product was oos - which may be why they don't reply?

I wonder whether anyone has ordered any more recently?

The newest issue batches, from samples received, were a little different to their earlier incarnations as was the price being asked.
    Last edited by lpp; 8th May 2014 at 06:10 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Dear lord, what an amazing thread!

Hi, my name is robert and I am an amouage attar addict as well :-)

I missed a bottle of the sandal attar just a few months ago for less than $200 and I am still kicking myself over it.

I have a precious 3 ml bottle of tribute and homage, and guess I will now have to venture into oud oils and other attars to make up for no more amouage production.

If I had known last year what was going to happen I would have made it a priority to get 4 bottles of the ones I wanted .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

Quote Originally Posted by stargarden View Post
    Dear lord, what an amazing thread!

Hi, my name is robert and I am an amouage attar addict as well :-)

I missed a bottle of the sandal attar just a few months ago for less than $200 and I am still kicking myself over it.

I have a precious 3 ml bottle of tribute and homage, and guess I will now have to venture into oud oils and other attars to make up for no more amouage production.

If I had known last year what was going to happen I would have made it a priority to get 4 bottles of the ones I wanted .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sigh..... my unicorn is sandal attar