Code of Conduct

Default home fragrances and birds

Don't use home fragrances if you have any pet birds because it harms the bird's lungs.

Default Re: home fragrances and birds

Great post! I have a little bird, and I always use fragrance and let it totally dry of the alcohol and powerful scent.

If I have to be near him, I wash my arms of any perfume. Ditto for home scent sprays. I only use scented candles in other rooms.

Thank you for thinking of our feathered family members. (We had a member who had a parrot, but I have not seen her in some time.)
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Great post! I have a little bird, and I always use fragrance and let it totally dry of the alcohol and powerful scent.

If I have to be near him, I wash my arms of any perfume. Ditto for home scent sprays. I only use scented candles in other rooms.

Thank you for thinking of our feathered family members. (We had a member who had a parrot, but I have not seen her in some time.)
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Not too many people know about birds and scents. I didn't find out about this until about 5 years ago and I've had pet birds since I was a little kid. These days I have 2 Eclectus parrots.

You probably know this but I thought I'd mention it here in case someone doesn't know:
    Overheating teflon can kill birds and is bad for humans as well.

Vortex, you are so right about Teflon. I know of a person who burnt food in the pm and by the next morning her parrot was dead. It totally destroys their lungs. I have nine parrots and was sorry to see my Teflon go, but besides being expensive, I love my parrots way more then Teflon.
    On a side note, avocado is deadly as well.

I have 4 little guys, burn BBW simmering oil without any problems. I simply keep it a distance from where the birds are and they're fine. They have had good health for years.
    “The Unscented Life Is Not Worth Living.”
    Socrates
    (Re-worded by lauermar)

Quote Originally Posted by lauermar View Post
    I have 4 little guys, burn BBW simmering oil without any problems. I simply keep it a distance from where the birds are and they're fine. They have had good health for years.

The affect of scents on birds are long term effects so they may still be OK now but they will likely have health issues in the future if they can smell the oil.

The scent molecules go into the air sacs in their lungs and stay there.

Wasn't aware that the effects could be so harmful, but totally understandable.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.