Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wrist Tattoos & Perfume

I have kind of a strange question :-)

A lot of celebrities, and women I know, have been getting wrist tattoos lately... and that got me curious-- if they spray perfume on their wrists now, will the tattoo colors fade or change? And will the tattoo ink affect their body chemistry there, will the scent on them change slightly?

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wrist Tattoos & Perfume

I'm no expert, but I wouldn't think it would make much of a difference after the tattoo has fully healed. The ink is fairly deep in the skin and taken up into the actual skin cells, so I doubt there would be much interplay between the tattoo ink and the perfume, which normally is interacting with oils on the skin surface.

no difference in my opinion

Post Thanks / Like

I love girls with tattoos....
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eggy View Post
    I love girls with tattoos....
    LOL- You may feel differently when, in future years, that smooth skin has gone all wrinkly and the colors have faded.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty heavily tattooed (and work in the body mod industry) - a healed tattoo will not be affected by alcohol on the surface of the skin - if it was that easy to fade tattoo ink people wouldn't spend hundreds of pounds for laser removal

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    LOL- You may feel differently when, in future years, that smooth skin has gone all wrinkly and the colors have faded.
    That's why people get them touched up. I know plenty of people with tattoos that are 20+ years old and they still look great as long as you get them retouched once or twice. The ones that look bad are because people don't care and just let them go.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They still look horrible when the color fades.

Not at all.
    We have 3 layers of skin. Although you can see a tattoo, in reality, the ink is actually on the second layer (the dermis).
    Fragrances probably don't penetrate that far, and stick to the top layer (the epidermis).

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I know we are talking about two different things. I'm talking about folks who are ancient... like over.... 62 the definition of senior.. Gravity kicks in no matter how much you work at it.
    My apologies to the OP for the mini thread-jack.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndBakeryAttack View Post
    That's why people get them touched up. I know plenty of people with tattoos that are 20+ years old and they still look great as long as you get them retouched once or twice. The ones that look bad are because people don't care and just let them go.
    A Scent Rescuer

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

No, the tattoo ink is more deeper.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed 100%.

I should have stated that I love young girls with tattoos... Doubt I'd ever pursue one for the long haul though :P I'm too much of a purist...
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Nonsense.

How will your tattoos look when you're 80?

Still look F*#cking awesome to me!

I would think no difference.

Post Thanks / Like

I have full sleeves done and it has no effect based on the years I've had them and worn scents. I do find that in hot weather it can create itching for some reason but that's it really...
    Tom Ford Black Orchid
    Acqua di Parma Colonia
    Creed Baie de Genievre
    Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan
    Serge Lutens Rahat Loukoum
    Serge Lutens Douce Amere
    Parfum d'Empire Aziyade
    MFK Lumiere Noire
    Etat Libre d'Orange Noel au Balcon
    Etat Libre d'Orange Delicious Closet Queen
    Guerlain Habit Rouge

There ain't no devil - that's just god when he's drunk

Post Thanks / Like

The look of them in the future is debatable - it's so common to see poorly done tattoos which look like crap from day 1 - and true artists (who cost a bomb!) but create wonderful some wonderful pieces. On the skin when you're old - well, a lovely colourful tattoo, wrinkly or not, surely looks better than your plain sun spot marked aged skin :')

Post Thanks / Like

One might think differently after a couple weeks, to be honest. At least when dating the same tattooed girl.

It's basically just another trick, like big make up, etc, to lure in the young and inexperienced.

Post Thanks / Like

I can also confirm that, once cured, no consequences from applying scent.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate when tattoos become green-ish. You would figure that they would have made fade resistant tattoos by now.

Post Thanks / Like

vortex: Generally it's cheap quality ink. Modern day blacks are much more solid - also the lines are generally finer and retain the sharpness of the colour for longer. A good tattoo these days won't be the chunky outlined green mess that many of older generations have today.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    vortex: Generally it's cheap quality ink. Modern day blacks are much more solid - also the lines are generally finer and retain the sharpness of the colour for longer. A good tattoo these days won't be the chunky outlined green mess that many of older generations have today.
    FORFREDDIE is spot on,also the high quality inks are water based and keep their colours. Fragrance will not alter nor will it have any effect on a tattoo, the sun will have the biggest effect though and you should always use a high factor sunscreen,when one exposes ones ink to the sunshine( It has been a rare thing in the U.K. lately.)

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    One might think differently after a couple weeks, to be honest. At least when dating the same tattooed girl.

It's basically just another trick, like big make up, etc, to lure in the young and inexperienced.
    Bless you Russel.
    I know I'm being a pain here with my stodgy attitude about the commercial craze for body art. It's big business in my area. My perspective comes from working over 20 years with souls who had tats in their teens for fun, fashion or more commonly gang affiliation and now find they cannot get decent jobs. The ones who realize its holding them back have to spend lots of money getting the ones on their hands painfully removed by laser or wait a long time for the free clinic to remove them because they are ashamed now of the folly of youth & don't want to send their kids the wrong message. (at least they can cover up some on the torso.) I knew a dance teacher who lost many clients because in her youth she had big "skin head chick" lettering applied to her arm.
    I love those big graphic Maori type tats- on someone who is part of the culture. Sailors and military folk go for them to celebrate accomplishments and belonging to a group. But having tinkerbell or some other fantasy character permanently on one's body for a fashion statement may backfire. The weirdest thing is the moms I work with who keep adding to their ink but "can't afford" items for the kids like better clothes and shoes. grrrrr. They usually have their kids names put on their chest. Can't you remember your own kids names? (heavy sarcasm I could not get away with in the workplace)
    OK I feel like I've explained my stodgy stance and will leave y'all alone now.

edited to add: Ok I have one story that is just too funny not to share. I walked into the ladies at a dance a few years ago and there was a woman I knew in her 30's who had pulled up her top and pulled down her trousers to show off her new tat. to two friends. It was 3 cute little animals that looked like they were emerging from her pubic hair. I look and said Oh My! You have beavers coming out of your beaver! She scowled at me and retorted "They are SEA OTTERS!"
    Last edited by knit at nite; 12th August 2012 at 09:33 PM.
    A Scent Rescuer

Post Thanks / Like

Bless you Russel.
    I know I'm being a pain here with my stodgy attitude about the commercial craze for body art. It's big business in my area. My perspective comes from working over 20 years with souls who had tats in their teens for fun, fashion or more commonly gang affiliation and now find they cannot get decent jobs. The ones who realize its holding them back have to spend lots of money getting the ones on their hands painfully removed by laser or wait a long time for the free clinic to remove them because they are ashamed now of the folly of youth & don't want to send their kids the wrong message. (at least they can cover up some on the torso.) I knew a dance teacher who lost many clients because in her youth she had big "skin head chick" lettering applied to her arm.
    I love those big graphic Maori type tats- on someone who is part of the culture. Sailors and military folk go for them to celebrate accomplishments and belonging to a group. But having tinkerbell or some other fantasy character permanently on one's body for a fashion statement may backfire. The weirdest thing is the moms I work with who keep adding to their ink but "can't afford" items for the kids like better clothes and shoes. grrrrr. They usually have their kids names put on their chest. Can't you remember your own kids names? (heavy sarcasm I could not get away with in the workplace)
    OK I feel like I've explained my stodgy stance and will leave y'all alone now.
    I halfffff agree with you -

The thing is (I work as a body piercer and am really involved in the tattoo industry) - there are people who get tattoos, and there are people who get GOOD tattoos.
    The difference is - some people will as you say - get some tripe like tinkerbelle or a little bit of script on their forearm for a trendy sake.
    Then there are people (like myself) who will hunt out specific artists, travel, and spend a ton on collecting their artwork on your skin. One difference in the thought process of these people is: Those with one or two tattoos for tattoos sake, will look at their arm and think "Oh yeh I have a tattoo on this" which I imagine could later lead to some regret?
    The people who collect in mass - if their legs are covered in tattoos for example, it's no longer tattoos on their legs which they will regret - it's just, their leg... you can't regret your leg surely?
    I don't look at any of my tattoos and think "Oh yeh my legs have big tattoos on them" - they are just there, and more will come. But then again - I don't have some stuff I picked out a book.
    Just so this thread doesn't go too off topic, I'll start a tattoo thread soon in Off Topic - I've been meaning to for a while

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hijack, but just wanted to say that the man in the picture when he was young looks like "Vampire Bill". Ok, carry on.

Oh, and WELCOME!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Some years ago I was tempted to make a tattoo. I was searching for an identity that was not me. Nowadays I can't imagine myself with the tattoo I was going to do. Identity found and choices made. The elderly man's tattoos stills awesome and he seems to be quite satisfied with them. This doesn't happen to everyone.
    Quality pigments mantain their color for years and years. The ink is located at dermis. Fragrances are applied at epidermis. So no interaction between the two.
    Last edited by Alvus; 13th August 2012 at 12:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
    Sorry to hijack, but just wanted to say that the man in the picture when he was young looks like "Vampire Bill". Ok, carry on.
    Exactly what I thought. Bill Compton with tattoos.

Anyway, I agree that tattoos are awesome when they are well thought out, and not selected from a picture on the wall at a tattoo parlour.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

&

Hi,

Back in the sixties, as a young woman, my grandmother was an avid fan of both boxing and tatoos. So to honour two of the great titans of the time she had Henrey Cooper tattooed on the inside of her left thigh and Casius Clay ( as he still was then ) tattoed on the inside of her right thigh. Some fifty plus years later as the ink has blotched and faded and her skin has wrinkled and sagged neither is now recognisable. It simply is not possible to tell who they are meant to be. However, in the middle -Don King -spot on!

Post Thanks / Like

I have had a wrist tattoo for 3 years, havent noticed any difference.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol @ da funny tattoo stories! I agree it deserves a dedicated thread in OT.

While I must say the full shirt tattoo on the guy in the above pic still looks incredible (Prison Break, anyone?), I have to point out these tats look great on FAIR skin; I don't know why very dark-skinned people would bother getting them. And I totally get what knit's saying. It irks me similarly to come across adults who always seem to have money for smokes n whatnot but not for their kids' lunch.

Post Thanks / Like

My perspective comes from working over 20 years with souls who had tats in their teens for fun, fashion or more commonly gang affiliation and now find they cannot get decent jobs.
    Unfortunately your perspective is very one-sided and you're either unaware or entirely dismissive of people who get tattoos that are both well done, by well respected artists, and also mean a lot to the person inking themselves. It never ceases to boggle my mind the amount of attention that people who dislike tattoos give toward the topic of tattoos.

As for the antiquated stereotype about tattoos and jobs, I make more than I ever imagined - and my boss has more tats than me. Granted, I'm in an industry that is mostly younger types and I don't live in some tiny bible thumping town, but I find a lot of the posts in this thread ignorant and arrogant.

If you disagree with someone's own personal decision that's fine, but I'm amazed at how eager anti-tat folks are to always (and loudly) express their opinion. I'm not a big fan of those big tribal ear piercings with the double gauge holes in the ear, but I respect people's decision to do so and I don't see the appeal of running around warning people about how an ignorant society will perceive that person.

Post Thanks / Like

Not to sound snarky, but the difference between people with tattoos and ones without tattoos is people with tattoos don't mind if people have tattoos or not. That can't be said about people without tattoos.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a great point too, Jill. I went the first 30 years of my life without a tattoo, partially due to the same fear scenario warnings that some in this thread have dished out. I then realized that if I lived my entire life too scared to ever make a decision I may regret that I'd end up living one of the most boring lives ever. Hell, driving a car risks your actual life, what's a tattoo going to risk? Not getting some crummy desk job you really didn't want anyway?

I ended up moving to a city where it seems 90% of the people are inked, including business professionals, older folks, college professors, etc. I got over judging people based on appearances long ago. I used to see people wearing baggy clothes and a sideways lid and judge, or see someone with a nose piercing and judge. Nowadays I'm in charge of interviewing and hiring for my own department and some of my most loyal and hardworking employees have full sleeves, piercings, one even has magenta pink streaks dyed in her hair and a poem tattooed on the side of her neck. They aren't junkies, they rarely ever call out sick and they sound so professional on the phone you'd never, ever, ever think they look the way they do. They are my biggest asset and I don't even want to imagine the level of regret I'd have had I been ignorant and judged them based on appearances.

So don't judge a book by it's cover. And if your advice is to tell people not to ink themselves because other people are ignorant and shallow then all you're doing is promoting the cycle of ignorance. Now that, my friend, is a bad career move.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

lm6, you have singled out one of my posts which pointed out the downside of getting bad tats- based on the very real experiences I have had over the years with clients & friends crying in my arms because they are ashamed to explain to their kids why they have certain tats or cannot get employed due to their tats, yes even here near the mecca of all things acceptable LA/Hollywood. Notice the client is ashamed, not me. I merely help them find a work around, which may be any number of steps. You've made a leap and called me "unaware or entirely dismissive of people who get tattoos that are both well done, by well respected artists". Oh heck, no. I love to admire certain artwork (like the Lion's head on my former BF's chest- roar,lion,roar) when we were involved in an emmmm, private function and I still think about the guy with the dragon on his back done in Asia- ah me!).

Society is often ignorant- that's a fact and people (all people) are judged by their appearance and presentation IRL at some point. It's not fair but it's mostly true. The fact that I pointed that out does not make me one-sided, ignorant or arrogant. If you want to insult me again, please have the ...to do it in a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lm6 View Post
    Unfortunately your perspective is very one-sided and you're either unaware or entirely dismissive of people who get tattoos that are both well done, by well respected artists, and also mean a lot to the person inking themselves. It never ceases to boggle my mind the amount of attention that people who dislike tattoos give toward the topic of tattoos.

As for the antiquated stereotype about tattoos and jobs, I make more than I ever imagined - and my boss has more tats than me. Granted, I'm in an industry that is mostly younger types and I don't live in some tiny bible thumping town, but I find a lot of the posts in this thread ignorant and arrogant.

If you disagree with someone's own personal decision that's fine, but I'm amazed at how eager anti-tat folks are to always (and loudly) express their opinion. I'm not a big fan of those big tribal ear piercings with the double gauge holes in the ear, but I respect people's decision to do so and I don't see the appeal of running around warning people about how an ignorant society will perceive that person.
    A Scent Rescuer

Post Thanks / Like

lm6, you have singled out one of my posts which pointed out the downside of getting bad tats- based on the very real experiences I have had over the years with clients & friends crying in my arms because they are ashamed to explain to their kids why they have certain tats or cannot get employed due to their tats, yes even here near the mecca of all things acceptable LA/Hollywood. Notice the client is ashamed, not me. I merely help them find a work around, which may be any number of steps. You've made a leap and called me "unaware or entirely dismissive of people who get tattoos that are both well done, by well respected artists". Oh heck, no. I love to admire certain artwork (like the Lion's head on my former BF's chest- roar,lion,roar) when we were involved in an emmmm, private function and I still think about the guy with the dragon on his back done in Asia- ah me!).

Society is often ignorant- that's a fact and people (all people) are judged by their appearance and presentation IRL at some point. It's not fair but it's mostly true. The fact that I pointed that out does not make me one-sided, ignorant or arrogant. If you want to insult me again, please have the ...to do it in a PM.
    Yes, I would imagine if someone had a swastika tattoo that would be something they may later regret, or be ashamed to confess to their kids. But this is not the tattoo's fault, it is the fault of a prejudiced ideology. If someone gets Dee Snyder tattoo'd on their face that is not the tattoo's fault, it is poor judgement. Most of these people you are discussing would likely have a whole host of problems, tattoos or not. I've yet to meet one successful and educated person who's life and/or career prospects were ruined or who let their kids down because of their tattoos. I simply think your warnings of the dangers of ink are antiquated and exaggerated. And as we as a society move toward having more progressive views on everything from gay marriage to marijuana to visible tattoos, I see the realities of your warnings (if any) to be ever waning.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

You must have missed "if you want to insult me again, please have the .....to do it in a PM".
    A Scent Rescuer

Post Thanks / Like

Me finding your opinion to be incorrect is not an insult, insinuating otherwise is both disingenuous and unfair. Done replying, my point stands.

Post Thanks / Like

Good story - I'm in an older demographic industry that doesn't necessarily have the tolerance but seeing as I've made it to HR Director (or VP in USA speak) I firmly believe if you're good enough you'll make it. Obviously I have a bias view too but I'm an advocate of tattoo acceptance in the workplace. I can honestly say that I've met far more pleasant and successful people in the tattoo industry than most other places I've worked in!

- - - Updated - - -

Good story - I'm in an older demographic industry that doesn't necessarily have the tolerance but seeing as I've made it to HR Director (or VP in USA speak) I firmly believe if you're good enough you'll make it. Obviously I have a bias view too but I'm an advocate of tattoo acceptance in the workplace. I can honestly say that I've met far more pleasant and successful people in the tattoo industry than most other places I've worked in!

Tom Ford Black Orchid
    Acqua di Parma Colonia
    Creed Baie de Genievre
    Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan
    Serge Lutens Rahat Loukoum
    Serge Lutens Douce Amere
    Parfum d'Empire Aziyade
    MFK Lumiere Noire
    Etat Libre d'Orange Noel au Balcon
    Etat Libre d'Orange Delicious Closet Queen
    Guerlain Habit Rouge

There ain't no devil - that's just god when he's drunk