Code of Conduct

Default Cuir de Russie doesn't seem to work on me....other leathers in the same category?

Hi, all. I've not yet mastered the language for describing my fragrance experiences, and I'm still sorting my thoughts on this one, but I hope you'll bear with me.

I was very excited to try Cuir de Russie and recently received a sample of the EDP. In the first moment after application it just smelled "perfumey". Then, a few minutes in, I thought "Oh, THERE it is". But then, before I'd had much of a chance to experience that bit, just a few minutes later, it turned powdery and stayed there.

I don't like powdery. (Is that the iris?)

But I do like leather. And I love the idea of a leather that is described as smooth, buttery, elegant, luxe, plush, etc. So I'm searching the forums and reviews here for something similar. The difficulty I'm having is that the leathers I'm reading about thus far sound either too in-your-face for what I'm looking for (i.e. Bandit) or, for the softer leathers, I'm seeing "powder" in the description.

Soooo, can you guys suggest any leathers for me to try that (1) aren't powdery, (2) aren't too scary (I'm a beginner), (3) aren't too incredibly hard to find, (4) aren't too floral/girly, but lean rather unisex or even a little masculine (but could be pulled off well by a woman)??
    Last edited by FooDog; 18th August 2012 at 04:57 PM.
    "Use only that which works, and take it from any place you can find it."
    - Bruce Lee

Default Re: Cuir de Russie doesn't seem to work on me....other leathers in the same category?

I'd suggest Parfum d'Empire Cuir Ottoman.

Default Re: Cuir de Russie doesn't seem to work on me....other leathers in the same category?

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Thank you! Looking it up now...
    - Bruce Lee

Cuir Pleine Fleur should fit your bill....

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

You might also like Iris Bleu Gris, a leather iris. And for something more "extremal" (at least in my perception) try Peau d'Espagne

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Cuir Pleine Fleur should fit your bill....
    Ohh, that sounds very nice! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by lucasai View Post
    You might also like Iris Bleu Gris, a leather iris. And for something more "extremal" (at least in my perception) try Peau d'Espagne
    Will look those up next. Thank you! Question, though -- do I want to avoid iris if I want to stay away from powdery scents, or is that (iris in perfumes = powder) my misconception?
    Last edited by FooDog; 18th August 2012 at 05:23 PM.
    - Bruce Lee

What about Bulgari Black? Described as "smoke", "rubber", "tea", but it has a definite leathery note to it also, and is, IMO, a masterpiece worth having, regardless!
    Visit my Norwegian blog
    http://www.hagenpahytta.net
    Gardening, nature, food, perfume, life.

"Gardeners, I think, dream bigger dreams than emperors"
    Mary Cantwell

Not the easiest to obtain, but Prada Cuir Ambre might be what you┤re looking for...
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

What about trying suede? SL Daim Blond is unisex but is fruity in a stewed apricot way and being SL it is sweet. On the same lines but far less sweet is the eponymous Bottega Veneta great suede jacket note without the stewed fruit. Definitely plush

Another vote for Parfum d'Empire Cuir Ottoman

In addition to many great suggestions, I'd say ELdO Tom of Finland: smooth suede with lemon and saffron. Not very easy to find, though.

But I would also not ignore the cheaper but still wonderful duo Aramis / Estee Lauder Azuree. The leather here is confident, but nowhere near Bandit.

As for iris, iris per se is not powdery (whatever the definition of powdery), though it is often treated in a plush floral context that might remember powder.

Incidentally, Cuir de Russie in parfum is less flora (which might be what gives the powdery effect) and more leathery, so that may appeal more. Unortunately, it is much more expensive, and you cannot test it in store - at the Chanel boutiques where I have been, they simply have the edt tester.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Great suggestion.

Another favorite of mine, which may be hard to find is Creed English Leather.

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions! I am working my way through reviews and descriptions of everything listed above. If anyone has any to add to the list, please do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post

As for iris, iris per se is not powdery (whatever the definition of powdery), though it is often treated in a plush floral context that might remember powder.

Incidentally, Cuir de Russie in parfum is less flora (which might be what gives the powdery effect) and more leathery, so that may appeal more. Unortunately, it is much more expensive, and you cannot test it in store - at the Chanel boutiques where I have been, they simply have the edt tester.

cacio
    Ah. Gotcha. Re: Iris. For some reason I had that association in my head but I don't remember why.

It actually is the parfum version of CdR that I have a sample of. From Surrender to Chance. In fact, I was wondering if I should also try the EDT before giving up on it. But it sounds like that might not make the difference I'm looking for.

Thank you, Cacio!

- - - Updated - - -

What about Kelly Caleche?
    - Bruce Lee

Re: CdR edt, I'd say it is more "powdery" than the parfum. However, as usual, who knows what the nose will say, so if you ever happen in a Chanel store (SF should have one), try spraying the edt and see what your reaction is. If you are there, you could also spray La Pausa, which is a straightforward fresh iris that I do not perceive as powdery. You are right that there is definitely an association, because iris and powdery notes often go together.

cacio

Another vote for Cuir Ottoman. Also suggest:

Cuir d'Iris: Yes, iris in there, but it's not powdery.
    Lancome Cuir
    Bandit
    Azuree

Also, someone mentioned Cuir Ambre, and I'd agree, although Serge Lutens's Cuir Mauresque is very similar and easier to find.

Cuir Pleine Fleur confounds me. It's all powder and I can't actually find the leather in it. I can't figure it out! Must try it again.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Great suggestions all round. Here's a few more:-

Elsha 1776 Russian Leather
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque
    Cuoio Tartaro by La via del Profumo
    Aigner Black for Men

So, in putting together a sample order with all of your wonderful suggestions above, I realized that I actually already have a tiny little sample of Daim Blond. Thank you, Alityke, for the reminder! I wore it yesterday and really enjoyed it. The first few minutes were a bit scary, but then it was settled down into something really subtle and nice. Kind of a skin scent, though maybe that was my application (a couple shy little dabs on inner wrists). Anyway, a good start.

Thank you all again for giving me some great directions for exploration!
    - Bruce Lee

Basenotes Plus

My favorite soft, buttery, smooth, and elegant leather is Creed's Royal English Leather. Zero powder. Just amber and leathery goodness. Class in a bottle.

Try Slumberhouse Baque.

Basenotes Plus

I think you should try:

Boxeuse
    Cuir Mauresque
    Sarrasin
    Cuir de Lancome
    Bottega Veneta
    Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dzing!
    Etro Gomma

I agree with Cuir Ottoman suggestion, the leather its a little bit more raw but the drydown is very conforting and warm and yummi.
    Also i would recommend you What we do is Secret by A Lab on Fire (not the What we do In Paris is Secret, which i dont know if its the same or not).
    I think its exactly what youre looking for, and not so expensive. Please check out the reviews and try a sample, well worthy it.

Echo the Lancome, Gomma, Elsha 1776 and Bulgari Black suggestions.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri