Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
o

Default Creed Original Vetiver

I'm fairly new to the fragrance game, but so far I've really been intrigued by Creed and by vetiver...

On the Creed front, I haven't bought any because they're too expensive for me, but I have sampled a few - and to my nose they're very varied. Aventus, I like a lot - got a tiny drop left of my sample, and I'm savouring it. Green Irish Tweed, no, sorry - I think I'm probably oversensitive to calone, and I really don't like the stuff in anything more than a very light aftershave concentration. (Interesting that some see GIT as very similar to Cool Water. I don't. The calone in GIT is not nice, but there are plenty more notes that I actually do quite like. But Cool Water to me is full-on 100% nasty revolting calone. But I digress.) I've also tried Original Santal, and I didn't like it - it seemed really synthetic, and I had to go wash it off quickly.

Vetiver - I have Guerlain Vetiver, and love it. But as fragrances go, there's a real mixed bag out there. I haven't actually tried many, but Murdock Vetiver is one, and to me it's really resinously woody - I like the smell, but I don't want to smell like it. Then I've tried Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, and to me it's... bleeuugh! It's insipid, it's limp, and it seems like it's trying very hard not to smell of very much at all - which might suit today's aquatic-loving youngsters, but it doesn't suit me.

Then today I sampled Creed Original Vetiver... and, oh my word! It's fresh, it's clean, it's slightly soapy, it's very green. It avoids old-fashioned dourness, but at the same time it doesn't do it by emasculation the way so many "modern" fragrances do. It lasted a good 4-5 hours on my wrist, and few fragrances manage that.

Could I have found a Creed that I might actually buy? It's possible.
    Alan

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Creed Original Vetiver

I also share your like for creed OV.

+1 ... I really like OV as well. Some say it's too similar to Mugler Cologne, but IMO the differences are apparent. MC is slightly sweeter and OV has much better longevity.

I like this one as well especially when its really hot then the citrus in it seems to come alive and project more. I have gotten a lot of compliments with this one.
    Currently wearing: Beach Hut Man by Amouage

Blog Entries

OV is a refreshing, safe, manly scent. You really can't go wrong.

Try mugler cologne before you buy OV. They're similar, but I find Mugler to be dryer, sharper, more like a soap bar, and OV to be more wet, green, floral. I'm saying this not to recommend one over the other, but it's worth the experiment to see which you prefer before making a more expensive purchase vs a less expensive one.

Banned

I tried Original Vetiver yesterday and found the longevity to be very short. One hour was the duration and I reapplied three times throughout the day. The scent was very nice but to shortlived to even consider a purchase.

After reading other threads on this it seems I'm not alone in my experience. Is this because of batch variation or is it user dependent?

Quote Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
    Try mugler cologne before you buy OV. They're similar, but I find Mugler to be dryer, sharper, more like a soap bar, and OV to be more wet, green, floral. I'm saying this not to recommend one over the other, but it's worth the experiment to see which you prefer before making a more expensive purchase vs a less expensive one.
    Thanks - I haven't tried it, but I'll be sure to.
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    I tried Original Vetiver yesterday and found the longevity to be very short. One hour was the duration and I reapplied three times throughout the day. The scent was very nice but to shortlived to even consider a purchase.

After reading other threads on this it seems I'm not alone in my experience. Is this because of batch variation or is it user dependent?
    I too sometimes have longevity issues. From my experience, it's weather dependent. OV has best longevity in warm weather and you should apply it on clothing as well. I don't own a bottle and have been living off samples of it.

I have the complete opposite opinion on OV. Smells like citrus and soap with absolutely no vetiver. I also like Grey Vetiver.
    Some day's you're the statue and some days you're the pigeon.

Yes, as silentrich says I agree that there isn't as much vetiver in this one as other vetivers. I get OK logevity on this one, it's not as quick to vanish as some other creeds. Maybe slightly better with Mugler, but fairly close. The main thing for me is that Mugler feels like a more modern, chemical soap, and OV feels like a more old-fashioned soap with more explicitly plant-based notes. More flowery but also more leafy / stemmy.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscroft View Post
    ...I sampled Creed Original Vetiver... and, oh my word! It's fresh, it's clean, it's slightly soapy, it's very green. It avoids old-fashioned dourness, but at the same time it doesn't do it by emasculation the way so many "modern" fragrances do. It lasted a good 4-5 hours on my wrist, and few fragrances manage that.
    I bought it blind a few years back. It was my first Creed and remains my favorite. Your assesment is spot on, yet I get more longevity. A compliment getter for sure. I've never tried Mugler's but perhaps you should before dropping $$$; based on the cited similarities, perhaps that might be more economical if it checks all the same boxes for you.
    Wanna Shop? --> Buzier's Sales

MY TOP SHELF: Azzaro pH, Bel Ami, Blackbird, Blend 30, Cuba, Davidoff '84, Derby, Edition, Equipage, Jules, Knize Ten, Kouros, Leather Oud, Puredistance M, Santal Noble, Tribute Attar, Yatagan
    Currently wearing: Blend 30 by Dunhill

Mugler and OV are in the same vein but do not smell the same. They are so different after 10 minutes that they should never be used in the same sentence anyway. The vetiver drydown in OV is just plain awesome. Anyone know of a frag with that same vetiver note? I think that vetiver note is the main note in the fragrance "KUSH" that gives it the somewhat marijuana vibe. Its very close except kush is mixed with roach killer.

One of my absolute favorite summer scents. It's very green, fresh, and does not get cloying. Nothing ground breaking or mind blowing, but a great scent to help make the triple digit days more bearable.

+1 On Mugler Cologne. I like Creed OV but imo it is too similar to Mugler Cologne for me. If they were the same price I would buy Creed OV because I think it is slightly better.

Creed OV is a lovely vetiver. I have a large collection of vetiver scents, but wouldn't really recommend any of the cheapies. I think if you like OV - go for it! If you get a chance to try Chanel Sycomore though - it is super!

Original Vetiver lasts all of a working day on me. It's a masculine scent.

Mugler Cologne smells really nice - on my wife. It's a unisex scent which has never grabbed me much. While not particularly feminine, there's nothing masculine in it that grabs me.
    Regards,
    Renato

Blog Entries

Good on a hot day but not really my cup of tea.

Wonderful fragrance. One of my favorite vetivers. Although I really don't get a lot of vetiver in this. I also have Mugler cologne, and they are very similar IMO (give both a try before you settle on OV). If you're looking for a vetiver that a little deeper, you may want to try Cruel Intentions.

But for a spring / summer scent, OV is tough to beat.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

I definitely recommend this scent to vetiver fans, it has the grassy-green, soapy, fresh, clean, almost barbershop-like vibe to it, reinterpreted with niche exclusiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Original Vetiver lasts all of a working day on me. It's a masculine scent.

Mugler Cologne smells really nice - on my wife. It's a unisex scent which has never grabbed me much. While not particularly feminine, there's nothing masculine in it that grabs me.
    Regards,
    Renato
    I agree with your opinion on Mugler's cologne. It's missing the barbershop smell of OV. Otherwise they're very very similar.
    Some day's you're the statue and some days you're the pigeon.

If you get a chance to try Chanel Sycomore though
    Yep, I intend to try that when I can, but I've just not seen it in any stores where I can have a quick spray - there are 3 Chanel dealers locally, and none of them has it. As far as I can see, it's only sold in a few Chanel outlets in the UK - but I don't know where they are.
    Alan

Blog Entries

Original Vetiver was my first Creed purchase - I don't think you will regret owning it.

I'm fairly new to the fragrance game, but so far I've really been intrigued by Creed and by vetiver...
    The calone in GIT is not nice...
    There is calone in GIT?

I absolutely love OV, specially in summer time.

Basenotes Institution JiveHippo's Avatar

I really like OV and Mugler Cologne and have considered purchasing each. That being said Atelier Cologne's Bois Blond fills this niche for me. Citrus and Vetiver over light woods...smells better and actually lasts!
    Currently wearing: Opus VI by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey View Post
    There is calone in GIT?
    Smells like it to me - there's certainly an aquatic opening just like in all the others, including Cool Water (though not as strong as Cool Water).
    Alan

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

...It's fresh, it's clean, it's slightly soapy, it's very green. It avoids old-fashioned dourness, but at the same time it doesn't do it by emasculation the way so many "modern" fragrances do...
    These words may also be describing Czech & Speake's Vetiver Vert, one of the most beautiful vetivers i have sampled lately. Not an earthy, rooty vetiver, but fresh and soapy and, IMO, a notch above OV, which i own and like very much. Quite long lasting as well. At £75, it is also more accessible than OV. Chould be given a try.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!
    Currently wearing: Worth pour Homme by Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    I definitely recommend this scent to vetiver fans, it has the grassy-green, soapy, fresh, clean, almost barbershop-like vibe to it, reinterpreted with niche exclusiveness.
    Good assessment. My opinion of this one has changed for the better over time. I don't think it is fair to say it doesn't contain vetiver. It does. But it's the light, grassy type, and not very loud. I put it in the Tom Ford category of 'affable' starter vetivers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    These words may also be describing Czech & Speake's Vetiver Vert, one of the most beautiful vetivers i have sampled lately. Not an earthy, rooty vetiver, but fresh and soapy and, IMO, a notch above OV, which i own and like very much. Quite long lasting as well. At £75, it is also more accessible than OV. Chould be given a try.
    I must try this one. Another clean and soapy one worth a try is Carven Vetiver EdP.

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    I have tried C&S Vetiver Vert, but to me it seems more resinous than green - I get something close to incense from it. I do like it, but it's not something I want to smell of. OV seems much fresher and greener to me.
    Alan