Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Which Bottle Size Do You Often Buy?

Hey!

So I shifted all my colognes out to another room in the house after my last post

So I noticed I have a few bottles now, not to many but around the 12 range...for a guy who only had 212 by CH since high school through college.

Well, since I'm sort of feeling my way around this hobby, I was wondering—is it better to by 2.5oz bottles over the 3.3oz...I know you save more by buying bigger bottles—but what if you buy it and you like it for a few weeks and its not really you. Plus it would be nice to start with a fresh bottle half way down the year if you see yourself wearing it more.

Whats your take on it? I recently picked up the large YSL L'homme 6oz, after my 3.3oz has seem to gone bad. Thank god it was almost finished.

Recap: Do you find yourself purchasing 2.5oz often or do you just pay the extra $20 and grab the 3.3oz?

Default Re: Which Bottle Size Do You Often Buy?

I always look to buy 100ml bottles. Less frequently - 200ml bottles. Much less frequently 75-80ml.

50mls i save about 15 to 20 euros that way. if i do that 3 times i can get a 4th 50ml bottle with the saved money = profit
    and i havent gone thru even the half of a bottle in the 3 years ive bin collecting

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Almost always 100ml. It comes out to be more expensive purchasing the smaller sized bottles.

If you already have a big rotation like me, I think it's wise to buy small sizes...not quite the smallest typical 5 mL minis, but maybe a 7-8 mL mini, 15 mL bottle, 10 mL decant, something in that neighborhood. I do like 30 mL small "normal" bottles, though, and I'll often buy a 30 mL of an inexpensive designer that I like or is cheap enough to be worth the blind buy gamble. This is both for the purpose of saving space in the collection, and saving money ($/mL that you will actually use, rather than $/mL in the bottle). Any few dollars saved by going small can be used toward another small bottle of another scent, so you'll end up with more variety and more of a learning experience.

I always buy the smallest, unless the 100ml is extremely cheap. Works out cheaper for me because I have yet to finish a bottle.

The bigger are better as you will have more of the fragrance to wear during the years, avoiding a repurchase soon and the problems of the price increase.
    Also it will save you headaches about reformulations, discontinuations and its easier to sell the bigger bottles later, if you have changed your moods.

I always pay the extra $ to get the bigger bottle.

Banned
    Blog Entries

100 ml is the best deal. anything that i wont use i'll just sell decants of

75mL is ideal for me, but I'll always take the bigger bottle if it's anywhere close in price to the 50 mL.
    Currently wearing: Avant Garde by Lanvin

Supersize me! Yeah yeah yeah it might not be the smartest approach to this hobby, but hey, wuteva. I'm that guy at the market that compares the various sizes to the $/unit measure to make sure I'm getting the biggest bang for my buck... the big warehouse clubs saw me coming and were made just for me.

Usually 100ml...However, sometime it depends upon the concentration, the price, expected use, and of course availability. Pure Distance M, for instance, is fine by the 19ml size. The 1.7oz size Lutens are fine as well. Scents like Dior Homme that I use sparingly for formal events are ok at the 1oz size. Splash-ons? The bigger the better.
    Last edited by DuNezDeBuzier; 18th August 2012 at 10:03 PM.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

bigger bottles for the ones i love and are in my rotation, smaller ones for special event use

I buy whatever I can get the best deal on. I've been heavily into fragrances for the past year and I've only really put a dent into one bottle, it's about half way gone and it's a 1.7 oz of Prada Amber Pour Homme. In other words, 100 mL is too much more often than not.

A lot of the time I don't have a choice, a lot only come in one size. I usually tend to buy the smallest, but it comes down to what deal I'm getting. Sometimes I'll buy a big bottle because I like it's design more (TDC, Creed...)

Always the 3.3 OZ. I can't justify paying $10-$15 less for half the bottle.

3.3 oz/100 ml and over (often up to 125, 150, 225 or even 300/400 ml).
    Currently wearing: Zara Man Gold by Zara

It used to be 100mL for me, but now starting to get 50-75mL bottles, as 100mL is a lot. My most used bottle, A*Men, is only 1/5th done over the course of a year.

Blog Entries

1.7 oz.

Normally 50ml, as I rarely finish a bottle.

Looks like a lot of people here are purchasing the smaller 1/1.7 oz bottles. Quick question for everyone who prefers the 50ml - bottles. Generally speaking, what is the price difference?
    The only reason I purchase larger bottles is because I always find that the difference in price is no more than $15.

100ml and 50ml.

Ideally 200ml but alas they're mostly offered in 100 and 50ml. So I get 100ml.
    for swap/sale:

Try to go for smaller bottles (30ml or 50ml) as I know I'll never get through them otherwise haha

I admit I just love fragrances and get 100 mls after I read reviews and test at the store. I keep a very small collection, I get through them pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    Looks like a lot of people here are purchasing the smaller 1/1.7 oz bottles. Quick question for everyone who prefers the 50ml - bottles. Generally speaking, what is the price difference?
    The only reason I purchase larger bottles is because I always find that the difference in price is no more than $15.
    The price difference usually isn't that great. You almost always get a better price/ml if you buy the larger bottles. But it's a false economy if you don't tend to finish bottles and you don't sell decants. If 30 or 50ml will do you for the duration, then you simply save that $15 each time you buy something.

I usually prefer 100 ml bottle...buy 50 ml only when there is a huge difference in 50-100 ml bottles...

Usually 50ml if available. I don't get to them all as it is.
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

The largest size I can find and afford.

Mostly 100ml.

Depends really, in the past I would generally go for a 100ml bottle, but as my wardrobe has grown exponentially I've started going for smaller sizes, around the 50ml mark.