Code of Conduct

Default Which Bottle Size Do You Often Buy?

Hey!

So I shifted all my colognes out to another room in the house after my last post

So I noticed I have a few bottles now, not to many but around the 12 range...for a guy who only had 212 by CH since high school through college.

Well, since I'm sort of feeling my way around this hobby, I was wondering—is it better to by 2.5oz bottles over the 3.3oz...I know you save more by buying bigger bottles—but what if you buy it and you like it for a few weeks and its not really you. Plus it would be nice to start with a fresh bottle half way down the year if you see yourself wearing it more.

Whats your take on it? I recently picked up the large YSL L'homme 6oz, after my 3.3oz has seem to gone bad. Thank god it was almost finished.

Recap: Do you find yourself purchasing 2.5oz often or do you just pay the extra $20 and grab the 3.3oz?

Default Re: Which Bottle Size Do You Often Buy?

I always look to buy 100ml bottles. Less frequently - 200ml bottles. Much less frequently 75-80ml.

50mls i save about 15 to 20 euros that way. if i do that 3 times i can get a 4th 50ml bottle with the saved money = profit
    and i havent gone thru even the half of a bottle in the 3 years ive bin collecting

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Almost always 100ml. It comes out to be more expensive purchasing the smaller sized bottles.

If you already have a big rotation like me, I think it's wise to buy small sizes...not quite the smallest typical 5 mL minis, but maybe a 7-8 mL mini, 15 mL bottle, 10 mL decant, something in that neighborhood. I do like 30 mL small "normal" bottles, though, and I'll often buy a 30 mL of an inexpensive designer that I like or is cheap enough to be worth the blind buy gamble. This is both for the purpose of saving space in the collection, and saving money ($/mL that you will actually use, rather than $/mL in the bottle). Any few dollars saved by going small can be used toward another small bottle of another scent, so you'll end up with more variety and more of a learning experience.

I always buy the smallest, unless the 100ml is extremely cheap. Works out cheaper for me because I have yet to finish a bottle.

The bigger are better as you will have more of the fragrance to wear during the years, avoiding a repurchase soon and the problems of the price increase.
    Also it will save you headaches about reformulations, discontinuations and its easier to sell the bigger bottles later, if you have changed your moods.

I always pay the extra $ to get the bigger bottle.

Banned
    Blog Entries

100 ml is the best deal. anything that i wont use i'll just sell decants of

75mL is ideal for me, but I'll always take the bigger bottle if it's anywhere close in price to the 50 mL.

Supersize me! Yeah yeah yeah it might not be the smartest approach to this hobby, but hey, wuteva. I'm that guy at the market that compares the various sizes to the $/unit measure to make sure I'm getting the biggest bang for my buck... the big warehouse clubs saw me coming and were made just for me.

Usually 100ml...However, sometime it depends upon the concentration, the price, expected use, and of course availability. Pure Distance M, for instance, is fine by the 19ml size. The 1.7oz size Lutens are fine as well. Scents like Dior Homme that I use sparingly for formal events are ok at the 1oz size. Splash-ons? The bigger the better.
    Last edited by DuNezDeBuzier; 18th August 2012 at 11:03 PM.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

bigger bottles for the ones i love and are in my rotation, smaller ones for special event use

I buy whatever I can get the best deal on. I've been heavily into fragrances for the past year and I've only really put a dent into one bottle, it's about half way gone and it's a 1.7 oz of Prada Amber Pour Homme. In other words, 100 mL is too much more often than not.

A lot of the time I don't have a choice, a lot only come in one size. I usually tend to buy the smallest, but it comes down to what deal I'm getting. Sometimes I'll buy a big bottle because I like it's design more (TDC, Creed...)

Always the 3.3 OZ. I can't justify paying $10-$15 less for half the bottle.

3.3 oz/100 ml and over (often up to 125, 150, 225 or even 300/400 ml).

It used to be 100mL for me, but now starting to get 50-75mL bottles, as 100mL is a lot. My most used bottle, A*Men, is only 1/5th done over the course of a year.

1.7 oz.

Normally 50ml, as I rarely finish a bottle.

Looks like a lot of people here are purchasing the smaller 1/1.7 oz bottles. Quick question for everyone who prefers the 50ml - bottles. Generally speaking, what is the price difference?
    The only reason I purchase larger bottles is because I always find that the difference in price is no more than $15.

100ml and 50ml.

Ideally 200ml but alas they're mostly offered in 100 and 50ml. So I get 100ml.

for swap/sale:

Try to go for smaller bottles (30ml or 50ml) as I know I'll never get through them otherwise haha

I admit I just love fragrances and get 100 mls after I read reviews and test at the store. I keep a very small collection, I get through them pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    Looks like a lot of people here are purchasing the smaller 1/1.7 oz bottles. Quick question for everyone who prefers the 50ml - bottles. Generally speaking, what is the price difference?
    The only reason I purchase larger bottles is because I always find that the difference in price is no more than $15.
    The price difference usually isn't that great. You almost always get a better price/ml if you buy the larger bottles. But it's a false economy if you don't tend to finish bottles and you don't sell decants. If 30 or 50ml will do you for the duration, then you simply save that $15 each time you buy something.

I usually prefer 100 ml bottle...buy 50 ml only when there is a huge difference in 50-100 ml bottles...

Usually 50ml if available. I don't get to them all as it is.

The largest size I can find and afford.

Mostly 100ml.

Depends really, in the past I would generally go for a 100ml bottle, but as my wardrobe has grown exponentially I've started going for smaller sizes, around the 50ml mark.

Always 100ml and then I organize a split. I usually keep half of the juice or a little less than that. Organizing splits make this perfume hobby much more affordable as 100ml bottles make it cheaper for 1ml.

It depends.. if it's a strong juice that I'm sure it won't be discontinued.. then I buy 50 ml.
    In a big collection, 50 ml will last 2 years or more. If you have a lot of scents, a bigger bottle (100, 125, 200 ml) will last you so much that the scent may go rancid. The oxidation of top notes is possible after some time.
    I won't hesitate to buy the bigger bottle if the juice is cheaper, though.

I preffer 50ml bottles and even 30ml if available...that's enough to enjoy it while it lasts. On the other hand, if I really love the scent I buy the big 100ml bottle.
    "I love fragrances because they provide a sheer endless variety: there is a scent for every occasion, mood or feeling. Standing before my collection in the morning matching a perfume to my needs is one of the most enjoyable things in my day"..... I don't want to miss that

Current Top 12 Fall: | Gucci PH | Cacharel Nemo |
    YSL M7 | LAP L'Eau du Navigateur | Guerlain Heritage | YSL M7 OA | T.Mugler Pure Havane | Terre d'Hermes | Armani Attitude | T.Mugler B*Men | Lancome Miracle Homme | T.Mugler Pure Wood |

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Berghia View Post
    It depends.. if it's a strong juice that I'm sure it won't be discontinued.. then I buy 50 ml.
    In a big collection, 50 ml will last 2 years or more. If you have a lot of scents, a bigger bottle (100, 125, 200 ml) will last you so much that the scent may go rancid. The oxidation of top notes is possible after some time.
    I won't hesitate to buy the bigger bottle if the juice is cheaper, though.
    +1. Though I wouldn't say rancid, the way some juice oxidises it just alters, and sometimes for the better

I decide what size of bottle based on a combo of price and how quickly I think I will use it up. If I think I'll use up a 100ml bottle in less than about 5 years, then I buy the 100ml to take advantage of the better price/ml. Otherwise I buy smaller (always bought L'Eau D'Issey in the 75ml bottle for this reason). If given the choice of 2 50ml bottles or a 100ml bottle for the same price, I'll always buy the 2 50mls and keep one sealed up in its box for backup.

If I ever resort to blind buying, I buy as small a bottle as possible!

I tend to prefer the 50 ml bottle if possible. Two reasons: money and, more important: I think the 50 ml bottle is the prettyer one compared to 100 ml :-)
    Visit my Norwegian blog
    http://www.hagenpahytta.net
    Gardening, nature, food, perfume, life.

"Gardeners, I think, dream bigger dreams than emperors"
    Mary Cantwell

Always 50ml because I'll inevitably get fed up with a 100ml and want to to try something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    Always 50ml because I'll inevitably get fed up with a 100ml and want to to try something else.
    This. The frags in my 60+ 'drobe dont get attention individually enough as it is (thank you Wardrobe page of BN, which I use to track my usage) and I often use times like special occasions to buy a bottle or two (or when i feel stressed -- haha excuses) so there will be more bottles in the pipe. I dont really get attached to any particular frag out of my top 5-8, so I dont really mind finishing a bottle nd moving on with a different frag (I actually havent used up a bottle completely in ... 2yrs? 5yrs? Ages since I threw out an empty bottle, and I never throw out bOttles that still have some juice in em ... Splits n trades arent popular here also so that aint an option for my bigger bottles). 50 - 75ml, more than happy with those. Only get 100s if theres no more available smaller ones.

100ml. I know I'll never get through all of what I have, but I just can't pass up the better price / ml of the larger size.

Also, I am always afraid that the things I like will get discontinued (not just fragrances, but everything), so I get it while I can!
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    10. Creed - Royal Oud

My favorite is 30ml. Any more than that is too much most of the time. I'll take 50ml when 30ml isn't offered. 100ml is too much except for "M"

Basenotes Plus

I usualy get the smalles bottle i can find because my collection is already too big for my tastes and I know I wont to be able to wear everything I have . I only go for the big ones if i know I'll use it very often (I have to really love a fragrance to do that) or if its a summer eau de toilette that I tend to overspray because they usualy dont last enought.

Banned

It depends on the fragrance, but usually 50 ml. will suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    100ml. I know I'll never get through all of what I have, but I just can't pass up the better price / ml of the larger size.

Also, I am always afraid that the things I like will get discontinued (not just fragrances, but everything), so I get it while I can!
    This is how I feel, especially the second part. If I love a scent, I have no problem having a larger size than necessary since then I don't worry so much about reformulation/discontinuation. Plus, I have a twin brother to share everything with, so 100ml or 250ml makes a lot more sense between the two of us.

Blog Entries

I usually start with samples, If I like it over several weeks I buy a 50ml. If I LOVE it over that time, and know I will wear it often, I buy the 100ml. I have several 30ml bottles of very special occasion fragrances as well. Oh, also If I think it may be discontinued I buy larger. All this chaos with Montale has me abit worried, the last bottle of Dark Aoud I bought was the 100ml size!!!
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

I used to buy the largest sizes but i'm starting to buy smaller ones.

I go with smaller bottles myself, its hard to get through a big bottle of anything with my rotation...

I normally buy 100ml, sometimes 50ml and occasionally 250ml

The smallest available. I have yet to finish a bottle.

The biggest one from the line. First samples, of course

I bought a 500ml splash bottle of Blenheim Bouquet EDT but usually buy 100ml of others - unless they only come in 125ml or are ridiculously expensive.

DO TAKE YOUR MOBILE/NOTEBOOKS/PADS and do start to do your maths !!!

There seems to be a faulse economy advertising of the 50ml bottles

they seem cheaper in a bigger box and bottle but they are a BIG RIP OFF - often called travel sizes !!

If you calculate what you would actually pay for 100ml ++++ sizes - the 50ml formats are far too expensive !!!

The large bottle - the better value !!
    Invisible Power

Most often, 50ml/the smaller one, though certainly not always. I have many various sizes from 1-5ml samples, 10ml, 30ml, through to 250ml bottles in my collection.

But more often than not, it'll be the small/cheap option.

Usually if given a choice I buy 1.7/50ml size frags unless the price is the same or within maybe $10. I only buy larger 100ml or so bottles if that is the only size they come in, found at tj maxx, or is something like Creed that I know I will never want to run out of it.

I just have this thing that I HAVE to finish any bottle I have whether it is a $2 bottle of Suave shampoo or a $200 bottle of Creed. As of right now, I will not be able to finish most of my bottles for a very long time (maybe 6+ years). I know that most fragrances don't go bad if stored properly. I just want to be able to finish them in the foreseeable future.

I agree that usually the bigger bottles is a way better deal and is less expensive per ml but imo it is a waste if you never get to use it.

I go with 50ml or 75ml. Lasts me more than long enough.

Basenotes Junkie

I've leaned towards 50 ml lately myself after realizing how much juice I actually have now. For Creeds I tend to buy 120 ml just because I love the looks of them (unless I can find cheap 75 ml bottles.)

Bottom line though, I get 50 ml of designers, maybe bigger when getting niche I really like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD