Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

I could never understand why this fragrance receives so much hate in the fragrance community. Really, is it that bad? I can think of far worse scents than this. Or is it that the fragrance is too safe, too non-offending? I think this can make an excellent signature scent for the right guy. What is your opinion?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

My gf gave me a bottle; I love it.

I don't have any strong feelings with this one either way, I just find it ok.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    Or is it that the fragrance is too safe, too non-offending?
    this. there's no "there" there . . . it smells like a demographic chart of all the most successful recent trends in men's frags, with no "twist" to give it a personality of its own.

i much prefer Cartier Declaration Bois Bleu -- a drier and leaner composition with a more interesting take on the popular ginger-cardamom-grapefruit accord.

Post Thanks / Like

I love it, and so do the people around me.

Post Thanks / Like

It's because a lot of people find it too generic, there's no real spark to it. If you are looking for something that is different, Bleu De Chanel is not it. It is, however, a nice scent that would be a good day-to-day fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like

It is great stuff. It will be my next buy.

Not my favorite from their line but I have it and enjoy it too.

I've noticed that it's that type of scent which smells much better when sniffed the sillage as somebody other wears it, say the distance of some meters. (It does have a great sillage and projection, several meters / feet) It doesn't smell as good when smelled on your own skin. Anyway, i do like this frag, yes.
    Some bottles for sale (Worldwide)

"Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I like/enjoy it. Clean, fresh, inoffensive, and surprisingly, it has a lasting power.

Personally, I don't care if a frag smells like other frags. I judge each on its own merits. For me, the problem with Bleu is that it smells awful on some people's skin. For example: mine. I have a sample. For me, it's one big yuck.

Post Thanks / Like

On me, it's a more mature Polo Blue, which I used to wear non-stop in high school.

I really like BdC and it and ever ceases to garner compliments from everyone around me.

I don't love it...but I own it and use it on occasions when I want people to think, "He smells good". I feel it's not very unique but the ladies seem to love it, so...lol
    Looking to swaplook for my thread on the trade page. May be interested in buying Amouage. Having fun with shower gels. If you want to get rid of yours or swap for frags, give me a shout!

Post Thanks / Like

I like it. It smells great on me. It is a keeper.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont like it because it does smell good on me. No other reason.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

Love it. Get lots of compliments from women when I wear it. More complex than you might think at first; takes several wearings before you really get it. Reasonably priced, long lasting, and a beautiful bottle, too.

So I guess the reason some guys don't like it is it has a tendency to come across as a generic fresh scent, if you're not paying very close attention. Give it another try.

It smells nice enough, but its very generic. I'd wear it for work, but that's about it.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amw9490 View Post
    It's because a lot of people find it too generic, there's no real spark to it. If you are looking for something that is different, Bleu De Chanel is not it. It is, however, a nice scent that would be a good day-to-day fragrance.
    Exactly what I wanted to post. Its a nice smelling fragrance that could be worn anytime. Only thing is that it is a little generic. I have friends around me that love it.
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

like this one,my favourite chanel..

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

it's not that i don't like it; it's that i don't LOVE it. and for $90, there are much better options in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by df91 View Post
    I've noticed that it's that type of scent which smells much better when sniffed the sillage as somebody other wears it, say the distance of some meters. (It does have a great sillage and projection, several meters / feet) It doesn't smell as good when smelled on your own skin. Anyway, i do like this frag, yes.
    This once happened to me with Ed Hardy's Hearts and Daggers. I blind bought a bottle of it bc it was cheap. I thought it was alright. I ended up giving it to my wifes cousin because he was obsessed with anything Ed Hardy. Anyway, about a week later he wore it to a family gathering and ist smelled amazing.

Post Thanks / Like

I like it a lot. It's my favorite from the Chanel line.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by df91 View Post
    I agree with this.

Also, I do not own any frags that don't smell good both close-up and in sillage. After all, I'm always close-up and never in the sillage of frags I wear.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

It was the first Chanel I sampled and didn't like it at all. I've as yet to find a Chanel I like but Blue was the worst. Chanel get's a lot of love on this forum though so I think it's just a personal preferance.

Post Thanks / Like

Though I like Platinum Egoiste the most of all the Chanels, I can understand the appeal of Bleu de Chanel. I don't wear it myself, but I have a close friend that smells really good in it.
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

I just don't like it for some reason. I actually don't like Allure homme sport either. I would rather wear several Bods (those cheap frags they sell at walmart and such) than this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Love it. Get lots of compliments from women when I wear it. More complex than you might think at first; takes several wearings before you really get it. Reasonably priced, long lasting, and a beautiful bottle, too.

So I guess the reason some guys don't like it is it has a tendency to come across as a generic fresh scent, if you're not paying very close attention. Give it another try.
    +1.

Everytime I wear this, women notice it and they love it. I have about 300 scents in my drobe, but Bleu de Chanel just has that "something" that works for it better than 95% of the other scents I wear. A lot of people dismiss it as being generic and fresh without ever really spending enough time to see how it interacts with skin. Besides the compliments, I enjoy wearing it because I like the smell of it and it makes me feel good. On my skin it smells dark with a nice suede feel and some late breaking vetiver.

Also, it's one of those scents that makes an impression because it has good longevity and presence. I happened to be wearing Bleu the first time I kissed my current girlfriend and later in the night her dad wanted to know who she was out spending time with-- because he could actually smell my cologne on her!
    "He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's great for work, like someone else said. In fact, now I can't wear it anywhere but work, because it reminds me of work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good comments and explanations!

I own it and love it. I agree - great for work.

I went through phases. At first I didn't get it, but it wasn't bad. Then I decided to go really large with the number of sprays, and I started smelling some really nice facets. I wore almost nothing else for something ridiculous like half a year. Then I cooled it, and eventually just wore it occasionally. That's where I am now. I have the humongo bottle, and will probably get the travel spray. I own both aftershave lotion and balm, as well as the shower gel. I like the shower gel a lot.

My final opinion is Bleu:

It is a rather complex, powdery, boozy, vetiver and woody amber scent, down underneath a white tornado of freshness. That freshness, however, is *almost* over the top. To love this scent, you have to be able to sense the other stuff easily, and like it, and also be able to ignore the freshness.

I like it. I just wouldn't pay the Chanel price tag for it.

It did not do well on my skin.....the longevity is below average IMO!!!
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I rate it as just okay - their second best scent after Egoiste.
    There's nothing in it to greatly dislike, I don't know why anyone would hate it.

My wife, however, thinks it's really great.
    Regards,
    Renato

I don't hate this one. I just find it a little too bland and not appealing enough to warrant a purchase.

Post Thanks / Like

I, too, could see this as a signature scent for the right guy. I have been trying to get a work friend to think about wearing cologne and I got a sample of Bleu for him. He seems to like it and feel comfortable in it. I thought he smelled wonderful it in, and the other women in our department unanimously agreed. Pretty sure he's gonna buy a bottle.
    "Use only that which works, and take it from any place you can find it."
    - Bruce Lee

Here's my review: "I gave this one last try and I agree with Michael over at his fromtoptobottom - perfumepatter blog, in that I view this fragrance as "a formula that includes generic, slightly synthetic citrus, sweet cola-ish musk and that iso e super, slightly buzzy cedar accord." It's got too much iso e super for me, so right there is a "deal breaker." If you want something beyond "safe," this is for you. You can smell like generic "man" in a "modern" nation. Beyond the iso e super, this "blobs" up for me, and generates a unpleasant sensation. It doesn't smell good to me, just "synthetic." And if you think I just like vintage or niche, let me point out that I like Joop! Jump Summer Temptation. If you want a recent "men's" fragrance, that is at least somewhat interesting and without any major issues, I suggest trying that one. If I did like BdC, I'd just buy some iso e super and a couple of other accords from the perfumer's apprentice and make something like this for myself, probably for less than $20 per 100 ml. Plenty of household products smell quite nice, but they are not "perfumes." Chanel seems to understand this and cranks out fragrances like BdC for the "oh that smells nice" people of the world, of which there are a huge number (hence great profit potential), obviously."

It smells nice, but there are way too many fragrances that go beyond nice. It could be much worse. I don't think it warrants a purchase, but I am biased, because I do prefer Antaeus and the original Egoiste over this.

It is not wrong to love it/wear it-I just can't seem to find anything to be excited about it. Compliments are nice if you love the fragrance, but wearing perfume just to get people's nod of approval does nothing for me. I am sure many of you love the scent, though, and that's all you need to know to realize whether it suits you or otherwise.

Its incredibly bland and only garners compliments because the average person finds it inoffensive and easy to recognise. Its the scent equivalent of painting by numbers.

A lazy scent for people who don't care enough.

Post Thanks / Like

It's made well and uses quality ingredients. Other than that it's a good example of the vapidity of woody aromatic hell and a lot of things that are wrong with modern perfumery. It's an awkward thing that's more radiant than it needs to be. Smells like "Mr Cologne Guy" personified, regardless of how many random women may say they like it. Women like all kinds of unbelievably bad smelling fragrances. If that's your primary reason for wearing fragrances you probably need to get a new vantage point. Waste time wondering which “cologne” pulls better, and your genes will spread only by lucky accident. A perfume should be right for the man, not for the job. My girlfriend dislikes it intensely, btw. But she wears and smells all kind of good things, so her frame of reference is better than most of the random women out there.

When I smelled it on a guy at Nordstrom I felt sorry for him but more than anything I was just relieved when the smell had left the area. The stuff is anything but chic. The Exclusifs are amazing but Jacques Polge has probably spent a lot of time over the last ten years imagining what it would be like to do his own thing.
    Last edited by pluran; 23rd August 2012 at 03:58 AM.

If I had 300 fragrances or so and money to spend, then I would certainly but Bleu de Chanel and use it 3 times a year or so as a fresh scent.

Post Thanks / Like

The hype, the notoriety may have something to do with it.

Post Thanks / Like

The Allure line and Bleu suggest to me a kind of cynicism which I find vaguely offensive.
    Maybe it's time for Chanel to raid the back-catalogue again...

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    Its incredibly bland and only garners compliments because the average person finds it inoffensive and easy to recognise. Its the scent equivalent of painting by numbers.

A lazy scent for people who don't care enough.
    This pretty much sums up my view on the scent. I find it very boring and bland with a "me too" personality. Pass.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frdric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'dri) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Post Thanks / Like

+1.

Post Thanks / Like

It smells dull and boring.

At first, I kinda liked it..then I noticed, I swore I smelled a note of women's Coco in there. Became unisex on the skin. Didn't like that. The lady at the Chanel counter told me many women buy it for themselves..so, idk.
    "Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom." "It is honorable for a man to stop striving, Since any fool can start a quarrel." Proverbs.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a great everyday go to fragrance. Smells fantastic, but nothing that's going to change the genre. Plus basenotes is full of snobby, too good for the mainstream opinions. Some of the snobs on here are actually useful. Everything they turn their noses up at, I know that I'll love.
    Last edited by silentrich; 20th August 2012 at 10:05 PM.
    My current favorites:

Bleu De Chanel, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Zino Davidoff, Dior Homme Intense, Creed Royal Oud, M7 (all versions), Chanel Egoiste, Dior Homme Sport, and Thierry Mugler Pure Malt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    At first, I kinda liked it..then I noticed, I swore I smelled a note of women's Coco in there. Became unisex on the skin. Didn't like that. The lady at the Chanel counter told me many women buy it for themselves..so, idk.
    Interesting!

I was speculating that women were buying it for husbands who were basically in need of the human equivalent of Febreze.

My wife loves it when I wear it. I'll just leave it at that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post

I was speculating that women were buying it for husbands who were basically in need of the human equivalent of Febreze. ...
    Funny !

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not a bad scent. I'd wear it if someone were to get me a bottle, but there are always other Chanels I'd rather wear. Don't believe all the hoopla you read on BN. For instance, the comment about BN 'snobs' borders on the 'hysterical'... imho.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This perfume feels like a simple marketing ploy. It was created not because they had a good idea for a new scent- but because it was time to release a new men's fragrance. And they thought it would be neat to give it a sexy french spelling- with the e&u switched in the word 'blue'. That makes it seem mysterious and unusual. Really, it's nothing new or unusual at all. Just another aquatic. (Yawn).

Post Thanks / Like

It's not bad but it's not stupendous either.

for swap/sale:

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Good quality and hard to really dislike yet it reads as a simpleminded masculine...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Post Thanks / Like

It`s not a bad scent. It`s just so tiresome and un-original. From a house like Chanel, we expected much more.

Compared to the original Egoiste and Anateus, Bleu de Chanel is a synthetic bore frankly speaking.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I guess you can count me as a lazy person who doesn't care enough because I think BdC smells good.

Post Thanks / Like

Being a fan of Chanel I have owned Bleu...more than once, and will probably own it again somewhere down the road. I think it is a quality scent and smells good to me.

Compared to other Chanel offerings people find it dull. It's very pleasing, and done very well. I haven't spent a lot of time with it although, it doesn't seem to jump out and excite me.
    Usually if it doesn't smell too unique or odd the community shuns it.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

I dislike it because it gives me lot of sneezing. Fortunately I found way how to make it wearable and better smelling to me. I made myself decant of Avon Crisp Forest + Bleu De Chanel mixed in 2:1 ratio.
    Current TOP 5 from my collection:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    4. Encre Noire
    5. Dior Homme Intense

I once called it soulless. I now think it anything but; in fact, it seems to capture the soul of 'classic man scent' and refract it through a modern lens. A great great scent that I am very glad I gave a second chance to.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

Wore it again a couple of days ago and it bored me to tears. Maybe it would have been interesting if it had higher quality materials. Certainly an underachiever. Funny that women find it exciting, probably shows the differences between the sexes' olfactory perception.