Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 181 to 240 of 283
  1. #181

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    It's generic, synthetic mess, and made for most men, who do not know anything about the art of fragrances.

  2. #182

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    It's generic, synthetic mess, and made for most men, who do not know anything about the art of fragrances.
    I do not agree with the last point but I do agree with the two first points.

  3. #183
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    484

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    My feelings about it have nothing to do with how popular it is. I just find it muddled and dull, nothing more, nothing less.

  4. #184
    Super Member Poohdini's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    110

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    It is not a bad scent, But I have a lot nicer fragrances in my wardrobe to ever want to touch this one. It just honestly reminds me of way too many mid to late 90's designer scents that have some citrus in it. So yes it definitely is generic and I do find it synthetic, but it is not a scent that would offend anyone around you when you wear it. Funny part is if I decided to buy cologne as a gift for a friend not into fragrances and not knowing what he liked I would either get them Bleu or Guerlain homme since they are so safe. perfect example of mainstream/generic fragrance.

  5. #185

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    People resent the success and resurgence of "pop" music but still it is great to listen to - almost addictive. The beats, the repeating rhthym, the auto tuned vocals that soar with repeating hooks - it's addictive to listen to without really being great, but it is effective. This is Bleu de Chanel to me - an auto tuned, big fragrance formula for success with the masses. Bleu de Chanel is the designer fragrance equivalent of a "pop" Auto Tuned Top 10 Hit. It is effective and works for what it was designed for.

    I have more resentment for the acceptance of the marketed image of the fragrance formula and how well people have accepted this "look" and marketing story for Bleu and associate this image with the way the fragrance smells. Doesn't smell dark and blue or mysterious at all to me. The dark blue bottle, mysterious "Bleu" and the image of the face model in the ads is very "bleu" and mysterious, but the fragrance itself is a generic perfectly tuned modern light aromatic woods. But the public bought the marketing story, totally. Its a huge hit. It smells very good, but nothing too special to me. When I want to smell in this general genre of fragrance pleasantness I usually reach past my Bleu bottle and grab Frapin's L' Humaniste instead, which is such a much better alternative. But I do occasionally wear Bleu and it is definitely fine as well. Nobody notices the Chanel on me because they are used to my more aggressive fragrant habits.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 28th June 2014 at 12:57 PM.

  6. #186

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    I love Cartier Declaration Bois Bleu--I rarely hear anyone mention it. It's so rich and unique to me.

  7. #187
    Pollux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    http://goo.gl/maps/XJ8rn
    Posts
    3,396

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    I ask myself the same question. It has what many look after - complexity, sillage and longevity.

    As to complexity, there is a paper - like top note I really enjoy, the citric top notes are realistic, diverging significantly from the woody base. I can get vetiver (which I love) somewhere between the journey. Now, this citric / acquatic / woody proposal has been done ad nauseam, so yes, it can be described as generic.

    Moreover, many BNoters are very conservative when it comes to scents - Blue smells contemporary, which can be a bad thing for many. For comparison's sake, the original Antaeus, Egöiste and Monsieur are much more to many BN's liking (which is my case).

    However, I think it is better than many other ones that are blended after the same template. The case reminds me of Egöiste Platinum, there are many blends like it, but Chanel`s is, I think, better. I guess this applies to Blue.

    Two digressions: it has not been a success down here. Terre is a hit among lawyers and high-end managers, 1 Million (and its knock offs) has been a hit among youngsters. As to Blue, sales are "decent" according to a stockist. Asked about points in common with Bvlgari Men and Guerlain Homme, he told me consumers are not aware of this.

    My second digression is... don't ask me why, I have the hunch it will be end up being a classic some years from now.

  8. #188

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Simply down to taste. It's nothing more. Everyone's senses are different and some people find what to you or me find pleasant, smells offensive to them.
    It's a fragrance that has grown on me. And I will always have (finances allowing) in my collection.

  9. #189

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    A combination of a) suffering from high expectations of Chanel, and b) lack of originality. Whenever I smell Bleu, I am reminded of Ben Stiller's "Blue Steel." An exercise in excess and a caricature of its genre.

  10. #190

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    On here or in the real world? On here it's considered a generic fragrance with some thinking it's too chemical smelling. In the real world (and the one that matters), it sells extremely well and is extremely well liked by those that smell and wear it. I think the question you should ask is "Why does a designer fragrance have to live up to niche tastes."


    Sent from Richard's Ipad

  11. #191

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    I think it's an okay scent for work perhaps. I don't own a bottle but I've tried in a store once or twice.

    The reason I think it is so disliked is not really down to the fragrance itself (it's pleasant but generic) - it's more of a backlash against Chanel.

    For many people on Basenotes, it is simply not worthy of their name.

    I wish Chanel would take more risks - that's where their classics came from in the past.

    Clearly, we live in a different age and that's not going to happen when so much money ,marketing and advertising is at stake.

    Regards
    Last edited by jason_newton; 28th June 2014 at 01:06 PM.

  12. #192

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    I have given it several tries, but I don't like it for the following reasons...

    Smells very "chemically" synthetic, like the very worst sort of cheap drugstore fragrances.
    Is certainly not the usual high standard of quality ingredients associated with Chanel fragrances.
    Lacks personality and character. Is much too generic.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

  13. #193

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    It's not a bad scent, but I don't consider it a great scent either. If I was to score Bleu on a scale of A to F, I'd give it a solid "B." I don't own it because I've never been drawn to it... I have sort of fallen out of love with the contemporary Chanel line at this point... The Chanel scents that I gravitate to are the vintage versions Allure, Egoiste, Pour Monsieur and and Pour Monsieur Concentree.

    For the money Chanel is charging for their scents now-a-days, there are a number of scents equally as good that cost less.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

    Mother Teresa

  14. #194

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    I think there is a difference between hate and just not working, Bleu should be just up my alley. It is something I've worn in the past and enjoyed,,,,,ala Cool Water, GIT, etc. I purchased a bottle but overall it made me a little allergic, didn't progress on me like others explained on here and was just something I ended up returning, Weird but it reminded me of Guerlain Vetver...something that looks attractive and should be a staple but I couldn't get myself to feel good with.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

  15. #195

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    I suppose it's just a matter of what you like. I, for example, like to wear colognes with oakmoss, such as Polo or Safari or YSL pour homme, and if I'm in a mood for something sweet then it's kokorico or Cartier Must pour homme. Everytime I re-visit Blue de Chanel it's just, "meh." It bores me, but that's just me.

  16. #196
    Dependent Navyy8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Northern Va
    Posts
    1,096

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Bleu De Chanel will always be part of my rotation. So well made, and does'nt smell sythetic to me ( not sure what synthetic smells like). Have yet to see this house turn out a disappointing fragrance.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

    - Benjamin Franklin

  17. #197

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    I was just reading through the Fragrantica reviews of BdC because the last time I tried it was at least around 18 months ago and I wanted to compare it to Lomani's Body and Soul, which to me is definitely a similar idea/composition. Anyway, one thing that struck me is how few of the reviews described how BdC actually smells, other than to say things like "nice citrus and pepper." Instead, it seemed like there were a lot more comments about how versatile it is and/or what a great office scent it would be for most guys. And I agree, but what does it have to offer me? My favorite scents include strong notes of leather, tobacco, certain spices (not pepper), herbs, sandalwood/incense, and certain kinds of resins, as well as complex ones that seem more consistent in composition than BdC does. Even this Lomani scent, which is pleasant and I think I like better than BdC, has the same problem, which Is that I can't imagine reaching for it, other than times when I know I won't be paying much attention to the scent for most of the day (and so I don't want to use up something that is more valuable). So there's a major issue, which is that BdC is expensive (to most people, I'd guess), and if it's not coming across as "special," why not buy something that really "hits the spot" on a particular note or quality, along with a $9 bottle of Body and Soul, for when you want to "smell nice" but won't be able to spend much time appreciating it? And I didn't even need to buy the Lomani, because I already have plenty of "that smells nice" type scents that I can wear for those occasions.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 13th July 2014 at 12:39 AM.

  18. #198
    Basenotes Junkie kswer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    868

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    You know when you walk into Macy's and head toward the fragrance section and as you get close you pick up that I'm getting close because I can smell the blend of sprays in the air? That is what BdC smells like to me. Kinda nice but too many better things out there for the money.

  19. #199
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    6,861

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Amazing how Chanel can make something as great as Sycomore and then make something that could easily be the the paragon of banality. Maybe the change to Olivier Polge will also include a new creative director, because other than Sycomore they haven't made anything worth a crap since Egoiste. One thing's for sure, if Coco Chanel was alive things would be a hell of a lot different.

  20. #200

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    It's a well blended combination of notes that's a workhorse. I like the smell of it, my wife likes the smell of it, and pretty much everyone I've ever come into contact when I've been wearing it likes the smell of it. This is a fragrance that's made to actually be worn on a daily basis. It's not meant to set on a shelf and look pretty. Bleu de Chanel is bearing the torch now and has taken it from others who have held it such as AdG and Cool Water. Honestly, I can't tell you why I find it so pleasing and exceptional, but the fact is that I just do and that's good enough for most people. To complain and bash it is pointless. If you don't like it then don't f*****g buy it or wear it. People can complain about it all they want, but it's here to stay guys. Might as well save your complaints for the EdP coming out because I'm sure that's going to piss off everyone all over again with people bitching that it's not complex enough. Meanwhile others will enjoy it for what it is.
    Last edited by silentrich; 13th July 2014 at 01:49 AM.

  21. #201

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    It's a well blended combination of notes that's a workhorse. I like the smell of it, my wife likes the smell of it, and pretty much everyone I've ever come into contact when I've been wearing it likes the smell of it. This is a fragrance that's made to actually be worn on a daily basis. It's not meant to set on a shelf and look pretty. Bleu de Chanel is bearing the torch now and has taken it from others who have held it such as AdG and Cool Water. Honestly, I can't tell you why I find it so pleasing and exceptional, but the fact is that I just do and that's good enough for most people.
    Without having a sample now, I can only go from memory but I did try it a few times spaced out over months. Undeniably, Cool Water was incredibly popular for a long time, yet to me the composition contains a horrendous note clash, so the only interesting question for me (since I agree that personal preferences vary and that this is fine) is what would have happened if Chanel had put some other concoction in that bottle? Let's say Black for Men by Kenneth Cole had been abandoned but then found it's way into that BdC bottle? Would everyone who said they like it, such as yourself, have then said it's mediocre or bad? This sort of question reminds me of that time when some top fragrance company executives'/"big wigs" got together to discuss a scent they were about to release and there was a bottle of it present to be tested. They said it smelled great but the bottle actually had water in it (I think this was in a book by Chandler Burr).

    I can't wear any fragrance two days in a row without boredom or irritation in most cases, but there was a time that I didn't pay much attention to the scent during the day so I can understand that people seek different things. I would spray it on, say "that's nice," and then I'm not even sure if I could smell anything in the drydown. It was a professional context so I wasn't interested in compliments, but now I have to feel that I really want to wear a scent or else I have no interest in them (other than when I sample something new, of course). So I can understand how some people appreciate BdC but I wonder how much of a role the Chanel name is playing here, among at least some of those who really like it.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 13th July 2014 at 01:52 AM.

  22. #202

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    but I wonder how much of a role the Chanel name is playing here, among at least some of those who really like it.
    None. And not for my wife had no idea what it was when she complimented me like crazy the first time I wore it after buying a bottle. Also, the other times I have been complimented while wearing it people asked what it was -- the compliments were before finding out... not after.
    Seasonal favorites:

    1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4.
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

  23. #203

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    None. And not for my wife had no idea what it was when she complimented me like crazy the first time I wore it after buying a bottle. Also, the other times I have been complimented while wearing it people asked what it was -- the compliments were before finding out... not after.
    Well if this is true then it begs the question, "what is it about a scent that has great mass appeal?" What could they have put in BdC to make it so special in this context? I have never read any claim that it contains anything special, in terms of something like an expensive ingredient that has hardly ever been used before. So, that might lead one to conclude that the composition is somehow extraordinary, yet no "expert" seems to think this, and even many "amateurs" argue that it is "generic." Could it be that throwing in a bit of this and a bit of that, then "amping it up" with iso e super.(assuming this was done - again, I don't remember for sure), is the recipe for success? From what I do remember, it came across as having too much of at least one aroma chemical I found unpleasant and not having any note or accord (in large enough amounts) that I did find pleasant, so I'm really curious about why this one is so popular. I can understand why AdG has been very popular, and to a lesser degree Allure Homme, and with Cool Water it may have been the large amount of dihydromyrcenol used for the first time in a scent that for some reason began to catch on with the public, but I have to say that the appeal of BdC, relative to all the other choices people now have, is puzzling, and has led me to think that the Chanel name might be a factor for at least more than a small number of people
    Last edited by Bigsly; 13th July 2014 at 06:56 AM.

  24. #204

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Without having a sample now, I can only go from memory but I did try it a few times spaced out over months. Undeniably, Cool Water was incredibly popular for a long time, yet to me the composition contains a horrendous note clash, so the only interesting question for me (since I agree that personal preferences vary and that this is fine) is what would have happened if Chanel had put some other concoction in that bottle? Let's say Black for Men by Kenneth Cole had been abandoned but then found it's way into that BdC bottle? Would everyone who said they like it, such as yourself, have then said it's mediocre or bad? This sort of question reminds me of that time when some top fragrance company executives'/"big wigs" got together to discuss a scent they were about to release and there was a bottle of it present to be tested. They said it smelled great but the bottle actually had water in it (I think this was in a book by Chandler Burr).

    I can't wear any fragrance two days in a row without boredom or irritation in most cases, but there was a time that I didn't pay much attention to the scent during the day so I can understand that people seek different things. I would spray it on, say "that's nice," and then I'm not even sure if I could smell anything in the drydown. It was a professional context so I wasn't interested in compliments, but now I have to feel that I really want to wear a scent or else I have no interest in them (other than when I sample something new, of course). So I can understand how some people appreciate BdC but I wonder how much of a role the Chanel name is playing here, among at least some of those who really like it.
    Of course the name recognition exists. The same thing can be said about every fragrance on the market. If you blind folded me and asked me how much I would pay for a fragrance like this I would say around what it costs which is about $60. Then again GIT is one of the most popular fragrances on here and smells like Cool Water yet people continue to buy that and it's still extremely popular and it's not as complex as BdC in my opinion. For myself I know what kind of fragrances I like and wear. If you don't like or wear fresh, citrus, or the more well liked fragrances, then you have to know going in that you're not going to fully appreciate it. Fact is that I've yet to smell anything that replicates BdC. The closest thing I've smelled yet is Dior Homme Eau which is basically Dior Homme combined with a watered down BdC. As far as the cheap clones I'm really not interested considering this isn't expensive to start with. With the new EdP coming out at least they're trying to improve on the formula. This might be just what your looking for.

  25. #205

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Its a nice fragrance. I can see people disliking it because it has a crushed smarties candy vibe to it. Masaki Matsushima M*C is a similar scent but a bit lighter and fresher. I like both.

  26. #206

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Ladies and guys seem to love it i liked it alot when i first got it as it is a compliment getter. I do find myself not reaching for it hardly at all unless im on the prowl for women


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

  27. #207

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Of course the name recognition exists. The same thing can be said about every fragrance on the market...
    I totally disagree with this and I'm really surprised that you would say such a thing. However, if you want to think that Chanel's name recognition is even somewhat similar to Yacht Man, Parlux, Gres, Lapidus, Lomani, etc. I can't stop you!

  28. #208

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    A lot of talk about how the ladies love this cologne but when I used this cologne myself in high school, my teacher(and maybe she was exaggerating) began to repeatedly yell "WHO SPRAYED THAT?! It's choking me!" to which I sunk my head down in embarrassment. No one else seemed to have a problem with it though, but that put me off from this cologne more than I already was, as I also found it somewhat generic and overly sweet.

    But when I think I about it, I might have overdid it, I splashed about 1/3 of a 1mL vial which I'd think is about 3-4 sprays. Meh..

  29. #209

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I totally disagree with this and I'm really surprised that you would say such a thing. However, if you want to think that Chanel's name recognition is even somewhat similar to Yacht Man, Parlux, Gres, Lapidus, Lomani, etc. I can't stop you!
    So I guess those members that say Bleu De Chanel doesn't live up to the Chanel name are basing that on what exactly? I've never said or heard it compared to anything made by any of these houses except by you in this thread http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384...Bleu-de-Chanel.
    Last edited by silentrich; 13th July 2014 at 11:04 PM.

  30. #210

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    So I guess those members that say Bleu De Chanel doesn't live up to the Chanel name are basing that on what exactly? I've never said or heard it compared to anything made by any of these houses except by you in this thread http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384...Bleu-de-Chanel.
    Now I am not sure what your point is, so let's begin with this question: do you think that some percentage of the praise is due to the Chanel name, as opposed to if it was made by Lomani, Gres, Yacht Man, or Parlux? Whether that percentage is 2% or 80% is unclear. Moreover, Chanel has sales people providing what I consider to be a kind of propaganda about it, unlike most fragrance companies (as you said, there are a huge number of companies making these kinds of concoctions in these kinds of bottles, and only a small number of them have sales people in major "high end" retail outlets). There is no doubt in my mind that somewhere between 2 and 80% of the praise on the major fragrance sites comes from the Chanel name. If you think otherwise, then we can simply agree to disagree. This is not related to your enjoyment of the scent or how many compliments you have received. I dislike pepper and grapefruit, and there's nothing else in BdC to make up for that, even if it smelled entirely natural to me. I'll be publishing a post on my blog on this subject within the next few days, in case you want a more detailed account of my opinion at this point.

    NOTE: To be clear, what I mean is that if the people heaping praise on BdP had been given a blind sampling of a bunch of similar scents, I think at least 2% but probably a lot more would either praise a different scent, praise none, or praise more than one (the other scents would be less expensive ones, such as Body and Soul). In some cases it might be necessary to adjust the amount used because some scents may be similar but weaker. If the claim is that BdC is great because it is similar but stronger than others, that's not something I remember reading anywhere up to this point, suh as, "it reminds me of Black by Kenneth Cole but BdC is so much stronger that I'd rather buy it, though otherwise it wouldn't matter that much which one I bought."
    Last edited by Bigsly; 13th July 2014 at 11:56 PM.

  31. #211

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    I think the disagreement I have with your opinion is that you're putting us in the same category as the average fragrance consumer. What applies to them obviously isn't going to be the same for us. Some of the points you're making are valid, but to the average consumer only. You're preaching to people who have smelled thousands upon thousands of fragrances. If your point is that we should be ashamed of ourselves for being part of what you consider the "herd" then your barking up the wrong tree. We all fall for hyped fragrances, but this has been around long enough to dismiss that theory.
    Last edited by silentrich; 14th July 2014 at 01:09 AM.

  32. #212

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    I think the disagreement I have with your opinion is that you're putting us in the same category as the average fragrance consumer. What applies to them obviously isn't going to be the same for us. Some of the points you're making are valid, but to the average consumer only. You're preaching to people who have smelled thousands upon thousands of fragrances. If your point is that we should be ashamed of ourselves for being part of what you consider the "herd" then your barking up the wrong tree. We all fall for hyped fragrances, but this has been around long enough to dismiss that theory.
    Please don't try to read my mind! If you like the notes or composition, or even the aroma chemicals used,that's fine with me. What I am confused by is the claims about "greatness." This is not a great scent in any way, IMO, and that is related to the hundreds if not thousands of scents I've sampled in recent years. If someone thinks otherwise, I'd like that person to explain it to me, exactly. Instead, as I've said, what I see are comments about how it is compliment getter or that it's versatile, which I certainly don't disagree with - it's just that I don't care about those qualities. If you want to claim that it is great as a compliment getter, you may be right but I'd need to see some large-scale sociological studies on that point (comparing how BdC fares against a bunch of others that are similar but cheaper). I'm certainly not accusing you of being a newbie, but it does seem like a lot of newbies are rushing in to claim that it's great, but then, as I said, they don't really provide any reason for someone like myself to think this is the case, and I personally don't like it just on the level of being pleasant in a general way!
    Last edited by Bigsly; 14th July 2014 at 01:28 AM.

  33. #213
    Pollux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    http://goo.gl/maps/XJ8rn
    Posts
    3,396

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    ... but it does seem like a lot of newbies are rushing in to claim that it's great, but then, as I said, they don't really provide any reason for someone like myself to think this is the case, and I personally don't like it just on the level of being pleasant in a general way!
    It is the difference between a naive and a technical approach to you-name-it. Naive consumer will say something like "Yummie,smells fresh" while those with some technical background will say that it smells frech because of the ozonic / acquatic notes.

    Back to Blue,it delivers what people look after, and it does not what others demand (a more classical approach to blending).IMHO,not a bad thing per se.

    Keep calm and enjoy your fragrances.

  34. #214

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    It is the difference between a naive and a technical approach to you-name-it. Naive consumer will say something like "Yummie,smells fresh" while those with some technical background will say that it smells frech because of the ozonic / acquatic notes.

    Back to Blue,it delivers what people look after, and it does not what others demand (a more classical approach to blending).IMHO,not a bad thing per se.

    Keep calm and enjoy your fragrances.
    I"m not non-calm! LOL. I went through some pretty heated debates years ago in grad school so this is "a walk in the park" by comparison. Now as to your point, my claim here, to state it as explicitly as I think I can, is that if you put something like Kenneth Cole's Black in that BdC bottle, assuming Black never came into existence, you would still get a lot of people saying it's great, much less than have said Black was great. If you don't agree, that's fine, but if a good study was done, I am confident that my position would be shown to be correct. So, BdC certainly can do what many want, but that doesn't speak to my point, which is that the Chanel name is likely responsible for many of these greatness claims about it, as opposed to a release by a clearly "lesser" house.

  35. #215

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Please don't try to read my mind! If you like the notes or composition, or even the aroma chemicals used,that's fine with me. What I am confused by is the claims about "greatness." This is not a great scent in any way, IMO, and that is related to the hundreds if not thousands of scents I've sampled in recent years. If someone thinks otherwise, I'd like that person to explain it to me, exactly. Instead, as I've said, what I see are comments about how it is compliment getter or that it's versatile, which I certainly don't disagree with - it's just that I don't care about those qualities. If you want to claim that it is great as a compliment getter, you may be right but I'd need to see some large-scale sociological studies on that point (comparing how BdC fares against a bunch of others that are similar but cheaper). I'm certainly not accusing you of being a newbie, but it does seem like a lot of newbies are rushing in to claim that it's great, but then, as I said, they don't really provide any reason for someone like myself to think this is the case, and I personally don't like it just on the level of being pleasant in a general way!
    Well there you have it then. Lol. It's great for some people because it's versatile and a compliment magnet. It's exceptional at doing that. You don't care if a fragrance is versatile or gets compliments so you just eliminated the two qualities that some people buy it for. You also don't like pepper and grapefruit which it has and other people enjoy these notes. As far as it's "greatness" I don't know what you expect it to be outside of that. Speaking for myself I find that it's one of those fragrances that I can wear to work, casually, people around me like it, and most importantly my wife loves it on me. So in my case you can add "Wife loves it." That makes it great to me.

  36. #216

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Well there you have it then. Lol. It's great for some people because it's versatile and a compliment magnet. It's exceptional at doing that. You don't care if a fragrance is versatile or gets compliments so you just eliminated the two qualities that some people buy it for. You also don't like pepper and grapefruit which it has and other people enjoy these notes. As far as it's "greatness" I don't know what you expect it to be outside of that. Speaking for myself I find that it's one of those fragrances that I can wear to work, casually, people around me like it, and most importantly my wife loves it on me. So in my case you can add "Wife loves it." That makes it great to me.
    I'm not really one to make claims about "greatness" or "masterpieces," at least not in recent years. I just published a blog post criticizing another blogger who wrote up a review of a scent that hardly anyone will likely sample, because the way he described it made it sound like the scent did things that are not possible. And the perfumer is some "little guy," apparently, who does not have access to the kinds of equipment and ingredients the big houses do. I generally look for depth, dynamism, and richness, but if there are strong notes I dislike I won't be interested in buying a bottle. However, I might still agree with those who say it is great. I do not agree that one should call a scent great because it is versatile, because that is true of many and buying a few bottles of different scents solves that "problem" easily. The compliment getter part is the thing that makes little sense to me because it suggests there is something special in the brew, and I haven't heard any claims to that effect. Actually, the notes/aroma chemicals seemed rather mundane. And that is why I'd like a sociological study done, to see if there may be any validity to this notion.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 14th July 2014 at 02:20 AM.

  37. #217
    Pollux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    http://goo.gl/maps/XJ8rn
    Posts
    3,396

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    ...Now as to your point, my claim here, to state it as explicitly as I think I can, is that if you put something like Kenneth Cole's Black in that BdC bottle, assuming Black never came into existence, you would still get a lot of people saying it's great, much less than have said Black was great. If you don't agree, that's fine, but if a good study was done, I am confident that my position would be shown to be correct. So, BdC certainly can do what many want, but that doesn't speak to my point, which is that the Chanel name is likely responsible for many of these greatness claims about it, as opposed to a release by a clearly "lesser" house.
    Biglsy, it is as you say. I worked in the marketing department of a big corp that marketed convenience products: there is such thing as brand positioning, affecting the way products are perceived.

    My perceptions are subject to these variables, I am human, not an artificially inteligent gas cromatographer - a conclusion I arrived after witnessing how opinions by very respectable wine aficionados were completely biased: they bashed excelent wines due to the simple fact these were blind tested. Product perceptions of the same wines improved significantly after being tried from a branded bottle. Sad but true.

    There is no doubt that Blue's blend is made to please, as we say here, "the crowd". Compared to other of the sort, I assume Chanel does things in order to keep up to their name in terms of what "the crowd" demands: a blend in fashion (acquatic - woody a la Issey Miyake and zillion others), longevity (it will still smell at 10:00 pm when applied at 09:00 am), and very respectable sillage. Not a value for money. But yes, put a Lomani smell alike in Blue's bottle and you will read praising reviews by many and bashing ones from others.

    I like it. But it does not stand an inch to Balenciaga pour Homme or the classic Bijan or classic Guerlains.

  38. #218
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    6,861

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    A good review from Victoria at Bois de Jasmin


    Chanel Bleu de Chanel : Fragrance Review


    ***


    Star rating: 5 stars–outstanding/potential classic, 4 stars–very good, 3 stars–adequate, 2 stars–disappointing, 1 star–poor.

    "If I were given Bleu de Chanel in a blank vial, I would have pegged it as a Hugo Boss flanker: a competent, commercial, focus group winner. Indeed, it is almost a shock to realize that this is a major masculine Chanel launch. While Chanel masculines are not of the same caliber as its feminine fragrances, they are invariably memorable: the velvety plum of Egoïste, the orange tinted woods of Antaeus, even the spicy warmth of Allure Homme. Bleu de Chanel, on the other hand, does not charter new directions; instead, it relies on the market winning combination of citrus, aromatics, marine notes and woods.

    I am ambivalent about Bleu de Chanel for several reasons. On the one hand, the magnificent heritage of the house leads me to expect nothing but marvels and I take every disappointment very hard. On the other, I am fully aware of how conservative the masculine market can be, especially the younger men demographic that Chanel is trying to reach with Bleu de Chanel.

    Original or not, Bleu de Chanel has succeeded in creating what it set out to do—a fresh, aromatic woody fragrance that can compete with other woody-aromatics on the market. It blends the metallic freshness of Allure Homme Sport with the spicy effervescence of Egoïste Platinum and Dior Homme Sport, liberally using citrus and lavender to create a vibrant top note supported by fougère and ozonic elements. The effect is bright, vivid, and clean. This contrasts pleasantly with the ambery-woody core of the composition. The subtle sweetness of coumarin and the mossy-musky softness of the base set off the crisp dryness of ambers. The ozonic note runs through the body of the fragrance, conveying a fresh, clean message from the first inhale to the late drydown.

    Like all Chanel fragrances, Bleu de Chanel possesses quality, the rarest of ingredients these days. Its raw materials are excellent, from the bright fizz of bergamot in the top notes to the earthy vetiver in the base. Would I recommend it to a 20 something friend who wants to try something other than Axe? Yes, without a doubt! Thankfully, the rest of us still have Chanel’s Les Exclusifs, which provide more unique fragrances.

    Bleu de Chanel includes notes of bergamot, lemon, grapefruit, “deep blue sea accord”, peppermint, frankincense, pink pepper, nutmeg, ginger, jasmine, cedar, vetiver, patchouli, and labdanum."

    -- http://boisdejasmin.com/2010/11/bleu...ce-review.html

    ----------------------------

    A competent review, and because the great perfume house of Chanel is completely selling out relying strictly on focus groups to create their masculine fragrances for the last twenty years, I can only give the fragrance two stars. Regarding female reactions, the woman I've been with fifteen years who loves fragrances thinks it smells like "the typical monotonous and uninvolving men's cologne" and finds it fairly annoying.

    -
    Last edited by pluran; 14th July 2014 at 08:02 AM.

  39. #219

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Biglsy, it is as you say. I worked in the marketing department of a big corp that marketed convenience products: there is such thing as brand positioning, affecting the way products are perceived.

    My perceptions are subject to these variables, I am human, not an artificially inteligent gas cromatographer - a conclusion I arrived after witnessing how opinions by very respectable wine aficionados were completely biased: they bashed excelent wines due to the simple fact these were blind tested. Product perceptions of the same wines improved significantly after being tried from a branded bottle. Sad but true.

    There is no doubt that Blue's blend is made to please, as we say here, "the crowd". Compared to other of the sort, I assume Chanel does things in order to keep up to their name in terms of what "the crowd" demands: a blend in fashion (acquatic - woody a la Issey Miyake and zillion others), longevity (it will still smell at 10:00 pm when applied at 09:00 am), and very respectable sillage. Not a value for money. But yes, put a Lomani smell alike in Blue's bottle and you will read praising reviews by many and bashing ones from others.

    I like it. But it does not stand an inch to Balenciaga pour Homme or the classic Bijan or classic Guerlains.
    Right, and just to be clear, it doesn't bother me if Chanel wants to create a "crowd pleaser" scent. In fact, I would like to trim down the number of bottles I have so that I breathe a sigh of relief if an expensive scent doesn't seem to be something I'd like. Thus, I disagree with those who are upset with Chanel - the company is first and foremost about profits, I'd guess (who would argue otherwise?), but to me claims about greatness require some sort of detailed explanation, such as integrating a large number of notes without a clash, or interesting twists and turns in terms of development.

  40. #220

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    I have been looking for an interview I read round the time when this was released and can't find it BUT I did find it referenced in the comments after a review, so I don't believe I imagined it.

    Jacques Polge said this about his inspiration for Bleu: “I wanted to do something very direct. You know, men’s fragrances are still very linked with shaving. When I find myself in planes, at some point I always see those business men coming from the bathroom smelling of aftershave. So Bleu is spicy, woody, and dry.

    It's no surprise to me that this is a best seller - Jacques Polge basically identified his audience, had a pretty clear idea of what would please them and then set about making it with the best ingredients he could. It's not rocket surgery, this one.

    This particular style - fresh, woods etc - is not to my personal taste, but I have worn it a few times and it strikes me as a very well crafted piece of work in a very 'familiar' style - quite possibly top of the class in this genre amongst what is available on the market. I can understand that there are people here who might find it a bit generic or simple or predictable or whatever but I don't imagine guys who hang around perfume forums (fora?) bitching about IFRA and chasing down batch numbers of various scents and so on are really the target market so . . . it doesn't really matter that much, does it?

    And thanks for digging out Victoria's review, pluran. Her reference to young guys looking for a step up from Axe is quite apt I think, for two reasons. One, mentioned above, is the aspirational angle - it's a quality take on a safe theme, utterly non-threatening. Two, and I think this is a fact that gets lost when we have these discussions (if you can call them that), is that a huge swathe of the male population who are in the firing line for the marketing of Bleu, and also the girlfriends and wives who wander in looking for something to buy as a gift, are now of an age where their experience of fragrance has already been marginalised to such an extent by (a) the prevailing trends for masculines since the demise of the more robust stuff that went out of fashion when the aromatics like Cool Water and the post Miyake calone drenched aquatics took over in the late 80's and early 90's and (b) the EU/IFRA 'intervention' that has gathered steam since the early 2000's.

    For a huge percentage of the under 35 'civilian' male population (as opposed to 35+ perfumistas) Bleu is probably as good as it gets amongst the mainstream stuff they will encounter - simple as that.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

  41. #221

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    I think I smelled Bleu on one of my employees today. I was actually kind of impressed! I think it was one of my male nurses.

  42. #222
    Dependent caferacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,251

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I have been looking for an interview I read round the time when this was released and can't find it BUT I did find it referenced in the comments after a review, so I don't believe I imagined it.

    Jacques Polge said this about his inspiration for Bleu: “I wanted to do something very direct. You know, men’s fragrances are still very linked with shaving. When I find myself in planes, at some point I always see those business men coming from the bathroom smelling of aftershave. So Bleu is spicy, woody, and dry.

    It's no surprise to me that this is a best seller - Jacques Polge basically identified his audience, had a pretty clear idea of what would please them and then set about making it with the best ingredients he could. It's not rocket surgery, this one.

    This particular style - fresh, woods etc - is not to my personal taste, but I have worn it a few times and it strikes me as a very well crafted piece of work in a very 'familiar' style - quite possibly top of the class in this genre amongst what is available on the market. I can understand that there are people here who might find it a bit generic or simple or predictable or whatever but I don't imagine guys who hang around perfume forums (fora?) bitching about IFRA and chasing down batch numbers of various scents and so on are really the target market so . . . it doesn't really matter that much, does it?

    And thanks for digging out Victoria's review, pluran. Her reference to young guys looking for a step up from Axe is quite apt I think, for two reasons. One, mentioned above, is the aspirational angle - it's a quality take on a safe theme, utterly non-threatening. Two, and I think this is a fact that gets lost when we have these discussions (if you can call them that), is that a huge swathe of the male population who are in the firing line for the marketing of Bleu, and also the girlfriends and wives who wander in looking for something to buy as a gift, are now of an age where their experience of fragrance has already been marginalised to such an extent by (a) the prevailing trends for masculines since the demise of the more robust stuff that went out of fashion when the aromatics like Cool Water and the post Miyake calone drenched aquatics took over in the late 80's and early 90's and (b) the EU/IFRA 'intervention' that has gathered steam since the early 2000's.

    For a huge percentage of the under 35 'civilian' male population (as opposed to 35+ perfumistas) Bleu is probably as good as it gets amongst the mainstream stuff they will encounter - simple as that.
    Nailed it! Nice post Mr. Reasonable.

  43. #223

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    ...For a huge percentage of the under 35 'civilian' male population (as opposed to 35+ perfumistas) Bleu is probably as good as it gets amongst the mainstream stuff they will encounter - simple as that.
    But then we are back to concepts of "good" (or even "great"). Why is BdC "better" than something like Roadster, which I'd much rather wear (in fact, at this point, I think I would only wear BdC if someone paid me more than a few bucks to do so!)? I think your "step up from Axe" might have some merit, and to me that suggests this demographic was already primed, so to speak, for a certain kind of "manly" scent, especially one with certain kinds of top notes, which I have little interest in (that is, the top notes that only last a few minutes, at most). Yesterday I wore Escale a Portofino, and though I wasn't that thrilled with the aroma chemical that eventually became clear, that was hours later and before that I really enjoyed the bergamot, caraway, etc. What would have happened if that was in the BdC bottle? Would caraway scare away the young hipsters? I'm curious what you think about this point, so please respond if you have a moment.

    Now as to that Jacques Polge comment, I wonder what he means by "smelling of aftershave." i am not exactly a frequent flyer, so I'd be curious to know if this is related to something specific, or if he has a conception of "cheap aftershave" in his mind, some sort of generic fougere, perhaps?
    Last edited by Bigsly; 14th July 2014 at 11:48 PM.

  44. #224

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I think I smelled Bleu on one of my employees today. I was actually kind of impressed! I think it was one of my male nurses.
    Nice!

  45. #225

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Now as to that Jacques Polge comment, I wonder what he means by "smelling of aftershave." i am not exactly a frequent flyer, so I'd be curious to know if this is related to something specific, or if he has a conception of "cheap aftershave" in his mind, some sort of generic fougere, perhaps?
    I wonder if it is based on Aqua Velva Ice Blue?

  46. #226

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Now as to that Jacques Polge comment, I wonder what he means by "smelling of aftershave." i am not exactly a frequent flyer, so I'd be curious to know if this is related to something specific, or if he has a conception of "cheap aftershave" in his mind, some sort of generic fougere, perhaps?
    Well Rive Gauche smells a lot like Barbasol so maybe your onto something.



    Sent from Richard's Ipad

  47. #227

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Well Rive Gauche smells a lot like Barbasol so maybe your onto something.



    Sent from Richard's Ipad
    I wish I could remember what Barbasol smelled like !

  48. #228

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I wish I could remember what Barbasol smelled like !
    Cans a'plenty at the dollar store.

  49. #229

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Wow, what a row! Ok, I'll jump back into the fray, here goes; the reason I dislike it is because it smells generic to me, and with so few days of life afforded to me I really want to squeze every last bit of fun out of each minute. For me, that's enjoying interesting colognes that I like by smelling the opening, then the middle notes, and then the drydown, and Blue De Chanel bores me. Right now I'm on a Polo kick, wearing both original Polo green and Modern reserve, which by the way has gotten me more compliments than Blue De Chanel ever did, (I didn't get a single one) but maybe it just doesn't work with by body chemistry. A good friend I work with on the other hand loves Blue De Chanel, and has gone thru half a bottle even though he owns about twenty colognes, and on him it smells nice. Another cologne that he wears, which I gave him because to my nose it smelled similar to Blue De Chanel is Nino Cerutti 1881, and it smells very nice on him just like Blue the Chanel, so I suppose they both just work with his body chemistry and not with mine. I love the house of Chanel though, especially Chanel no.5 on women.

  50. #230

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Just smelled boring. Might as well wear GIT or PM if you want boring.

  51. #231
    Pollux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    http://goo.gl/maps/XJ8rn
    Posts
    3,396

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I have been looking for an interview I read round the time when this was released and can't find it BUT I did find it referenced in the comments after a review, so I don't believe I imagined it.

    Jacques Polge said this about his inspiration for Bleu: “I wanted to do something very direct. You know, men’s fragrances are still very linked with shaving. When I find myself in planes, at some point I always see those business men coming from the bathroom smelling of aftershave. So Bleu is spicy, woody, and dry.

    It's no surprise to me that this is a best seller - Jacques Polge basically identified his audience, had a pretty clear idea of what would please them and then set about making it with the best ingredients he could. It's not rocket surgery, this one.

    This particular style - fresh, woods etc - is not to my personal taste, but I have worn it a few times and it strikes me as a very well crafted piece of work in a very 'familiar' style - quite possibly top of the class in this genre amongst what is available on the market. I can understand that there are people here who might find it a bit generic or simple or predictable or whatever but I don't imagine guys who hang around perfume forums (fora?) bitching about IFRA and chasing down batch numbers of various scents and so on are really the target market so . . . it doesn't really matter that much, does it?

    And thanks for digging out Victoria's review, pluran. Her reference to young guys looking for a step up from Axe is quite apt I think, for two reasons. One, mentioned above, is the aspirational angle - it's a quality take on a safe theme, utterly non-threatening. Two, and I think this is a fact that gets lost when we have these discussions (if you can call them that), is that a huge swathe of the male population who are in the firing line for the marketing of Bleu, and also the girlfriends and wives who wander in looking for something to buy as a gift, are now of an age where their experience of fragrance has already been marginalised to such an extent by (a) the prevailing trends for masculines since the demise of the more robust stuff that went out of fashion when the aromatics like Cool Water and the post Miyake calone drenched aquatics took over in the late 80's and early 90's and (b) the EU/IFRA 'intervention' that has gathered steam since the early 2000's.

    For a huge percentage of the under 35 'civilian' male population (as opposed to 35+ perfumistas) Bleu is probably as good as it gets amongst the mainstream stuff they will encounter - simple as that.
    Agree 100 %.

  52. #232
    Pollux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    http://goo.gl/maps/XJ8rn
    Posts
    3,396

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    ...Now as to that Jacques Polge comment, I wonder what he means by "smelling of aftershave." i am not exactly a frequent flyer, so I'd be curious to know if this is related to something specific, or if he has a conception of "cheap aftershave" in his mind, some sort of generic fougere, perhaps?
    Nor am I. Maybe frequent flyers don't use Barbasol.

  53. #233

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Nor am I. Maybe frequent flyers don't use Barbasol.
    I think he was saying that he smells aftershave on men in airports after long flights. some guys go to the bathroom after a trip to shave and freshen up. Or they use the toilet on the plane before landing. In this case he was vaguely referring to "aftershave" without getting specific. I personally think BdC smells like a fancier modification of Aqua Velva Ice Blue aftershave. I have a feeling the only way we could ever know exactly what Polge had in mind would be to ask him ourselves.

  54. #234

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Quote Originally Posted by HankHarvey View Post
    I think he was saying that he smells aftershave on men in airports after long flights. some guys go to the bathroom after a trip to shave and freshen up. Or they use the toilet on the plane before landing. In this case he was vaguely referring to "aftershave" without getting specific. I personally think BdC smells like a fancier modification of Aqua Velva Ice Blue aftershave. I have a feeling the only way we could ever know exactly what Polge had in mind would be to ask him ourselves.
    Exactly, he'd have to be more specific, but it does come across as a subtle undermining of less expensive, "drug store" scents, regardless of the supposed formulation. I've got more than a few old A/Ss that I'd much rather wear than BdC, and that aren't generic, but this extends to a clear majority of recent designer offerings. For me the main issue is the claim that BdC is in any way special. To those who really like the notes and construction, that claim makes sense, but I don't see it making sense otherwise, other than the appeal of the Chanel name, "herd mentality," etc.

  55. #235

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    For me the main issue is the claim that BdC is in any way special. To those who really like the notes and construction, that claim makes sense, but I don't see it making sense otherwise, other than the appeal of the Chanel name, "herd mentality," etc.
    Isn't the enjoyment of perfume subjective though? There are no "right" or "wrong" impressions. If it is great because you like it and those around you like it (or love it), that is enough for that person. If there are people who are buying BdC and saying it's "great" because they want to justify purchasing a fragrance that they are secretly unsatisfied with, or they are falling victim to a groupthink mentality that it is great because it is Chanel, period, then that could be judged on an individual case-by-case basis, I suppose, if anyone were to be concerned with that idea. From what I have seen here on BN, those who say they like it appear to genuinely like it. Those who say they don't are also expressing sincere opinions, from what I can gather.

  56. #236

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    For me, I hate ginger note. And it has ginger note.
    My current top 10 fragrances :
    1. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    2. A Lab on Fire Almost Transparent Blue
    3. YSL L'Homme Libre
    4. Tauer Perfumes L'Air du Desert Marocain
    5. Rania J. Ambre Loup
    6. Atelier Cologne Cedrat Enivrant
    7. Parfum MDCI Ambre Topkapi
    8. Imaginary Authors Memoirs of a Trespasser
    9. Heeley Sel Marin
    10. by Kilian Back to Black

  57. #237

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Quote Originally Posted by HankHarvey View Post
    Isn't the enjoyment of perfume subjective though? There are no "right" or "wrong" impressions. If it is great because you like it and those around you like it (or love it), that is enough for that person. If there are people who are buying BdC and saying it's "great" because they want to justify purchasing a fragrance that they are secretly unsatisfied with, or they are falling victim to a groupthink mentality that it is great because it is Chanel, period, then that could be judged on an individual case-by-case basis, I suppose, if anyone were to be concerned with that idea. From what I have seen here on BN, those who say they like it appear to genuinely like it. Those who say they don't are also expressing sincere opinions, from what I can gather.
    I had a bit of a "blog war" not that long ago and I think I can lay claim to being "Mr. Subjectivity," so I'm with you there. However, what I have seen recently on BN especially is a major surge in "Why do so many people hate the great BdC" type threads. I can't remember anything quite like this before. On the one hand, there are the many threads on Aventus and Pure Malt, and I hope nobody will argue that they weren't at least somewhat unique. On the other hand there is a scent like Roadster, which again, I think is a least a bit more unique than BdC, yet didn't get the same kind of BN attention. Just like with BdC, I tried Roadster several times. At first, I didn't like it much but thought there was something interesting about it, and eventually I began to enjoy it. With BdC, I disliked it every time. As I said, I'd like to see an actual sociological study done on the appeal of BdC versus other scents, like Roadster, but all i can do now is offer some opinions about what I think I am likely witnessing. For a more detailed explanation, see my latest blog post.

  58. #238

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    I personally find Bleu to be just okay, I like aspects of it, but I'm not crazy about it.
    "Why do so many people hate the great BdC" is not a question I've ever seen on here though. More like, "Why do so many men not like Chanel's Bleu de Chanel?"
    To me the fragrance is overwhelmingly synthetic, with only the slightest natural essences in it. Not bad, very wearable, but if you like older school scents, this one is not going to impress you much - the older masculine fragrances tend to smell a bit more natural and not as eager to please.

    Edit: OK, I see the OP said he wonders why it receives so much "hate." that is an exaggeration perhaps, it receives a majority of good reviews here.
    Last edited by HankHarvey; 16th July 2014 at 03:42 AM.

  59. #239

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I had a bit of a "blog war" not that long ago and I think I can lay claim to being "Mr. Subjectivity," so I'm with you there. However, what I have seen recently on BN especially is a major surge in "Why do so many people hate the great BdC" type threads. I can't remember anything quite like this before. On the one hand, there are the many threads on Aventus and Pure Malt, and I hope nobody will argue that they weren't at least somewhat unique. On the other hand there is a scent like Roadster, which again, I think is a least a bit more unique than BdC, yet didn't get the same kind of BN attention. Just like with BdC, I tried Roadster several times. At first, I didn't like it much but thought there was something interesting about it, and eventually I began to enjoy it. With BdC, I disliked it every time. As I said, I'd like to see an actual sociological study done on the appeal of BdC versus other scents, like Roadster, but all i can do now is offer some opinions about what I think I am likely witnessing. For a more detailed explanation, see my latest blog post.
    Bigs, I'll give you my interpretation, some of which was posted in my "The Rehabilitation of Bleu de Chanel" thread a few months back. Back when I first started reading BN as a lurker, I read a lot of threads, and picked up on the sort-of group consensus ... after reading BN for a few weeks, I knew Aventus was an incredible female pleaser, I knew one sniff of LDDM brought you to the desert, and I knew Bleu was terrible. I didn't "know" whether Roadster was good or bad, because the comments weren't as vehement and passionate; some guys liked it, some guys didn't, no big deal. But Bleu brought out very strong opinions on BN, overwhelmingly negative. And so, when I got my first batches of samples, I was surprised by some things, for example that I didn't like Aventus very much, and that I loved Bleu de Chanel.

    Over the next couple of years, I saw that BdC got a sort-of rehabilitation, in that more and more posts on BN seemed to be BdC friendly. But the important thing here is back to my comments about Roadster and BdC. There are no Roadster threads about Roadster haters, because that's not how Roadster was treated. You may not have noticed it because you dislike BdC and so unconsciously approve of other guys who don't, but BdC got an outsize heaping of dislike here in BN, in complete contrast to how it was viewed by the market in general, in contrast to how other forums view BdC, even in contrast to BN's own "female compliments" thread, where BdC was justifiably up at the top. So BdC is a study in contrasts that are unique to BN -- no wonder it generates so much discussion, especially compared to the likes of Roadster, which generated little passion either for or against.

  60. #240

    Default Re: Why do so many men not like Chanel's Blue de Chanel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Uvalde View Post
    Bigs, I'll give you my interpretation, some of which was posted in my "The Rehabilitation of Bleu de Chanel" thread a few months back. Back when I first started reading BN as a lurker, I read a lot of threads, and picked up on the sort-of group consensus ... after reading BN for a few weeks, I knew Aventus was an incredible female pleaser, I knew one sniff of LDDM brought you to the desert, and I knew Bleu was terrible. I didn't "know" whether Roadster was good or bad, because the comments weren't as vehement and passionate; some guys liked it, some guys didn't, no big deal. But Bleu brought out very strong opinions on BN, overwhelmingly negative. And so, when I got my first batches of samples, I was surprised by some things, for example that I didn't like Aventus very much, and that I loved Bleu de Chanel.

    Over the next couple of years, I saw that BdC got a sort-of rehabilitation, in that more and more posts on BN seemed to be BdC friendly. But the important thing here is back to my comments about Roadster and BdC. There are no Roadster threads about Roadster haters, because that's not how Roadster was treated. You may not have noticed it because you dislike BdC and so unconsciously approve of other guys who don't, but BdC got an outsize heaping of dislike here in BN, in complete contrast to how it was viewed by the market in general, in contrast to how other forums view BdC, even in contrast to BN's own "female compliments" thread, where BdC was justifiably up at the top. So BdC is a study in contrasts that are unique to BN -- no wonder it generates so much discussion, especially compared to the likes of Roadster, which generated little passion either for or against.
    If opinions could be quantified then sociology would be a "hard" science. In this case, my memory was that BdC and Roadster were treated similarly at BN early on. That is, the early "take" on both was that they were generic, uninspiring, nothing special, etc. The only difference that comes to mind is that there may have been higher expectations for a new, non-flanker Chanel release than for a Cartier one, but that brings things back to the influence of certain company names. I would rather talk about specifics, such as certain aroma chemicals used in abundance, certain kinds of construction, certain predominant notes/accords, etc., and what I'd like to see are reasonably detailed explanation about why BdC is so "good," from those who make this claim. For example, with Roadster, you get a kind of soft but resounding mint note, whereas in other scents with mint, there is something different about how it's handled. It could be a rather fleeting top note, or too blended into the whole, or too synthetic smelling, etc. Now some may think the mint note in Roadster is synthetic smelling, and so as long as they say that readers can understand why they don't like it. By contrast, I think there has been less explanation among those who write about how much they like BdC (other than compliment getter/versatility). That's my impression, and as I said, I'd like to see if a sociology study would find this to be the case.

Similar Threads

  1. Chanel's new atomizer for Blue de Chanel
    By senore01 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 31st January 2014, 08:47 AM
  2. Belcam Electric Blue (Bleu de Chanel knockoff)
    By JNavas in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10th May 2012, 06:21 PM
  3. Belcam Electric Blue (Bleu de Chanel knockoff)
    By JNavas in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20th April 2012, 07:20 PM
  4. Polo Blue vs Bleu de Chanel
    By JonnyLeMale in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 15th November 2010, 02:33 AM
  5. Similar to Chanel Coco MdM and D&G L-Blue?
    By yonggoh in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 5th December 2007, 10:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •