Code of Conduct

Default Skin care products?

What Skin Care products do you guys use? Like what cleansers, moisturizers, and such?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Skin care products?

Paula's 2%BHA gel is holy grial to me... The rest, I switch depending on skin, weather, season...

Post Thanks / Like

crimedawg40,

Suggest you have a look at this blog: http://scform.blogspot.com/ as well as the posts here at Basenotes.

My current routine: Natio Cleanser with Dermalogica Facial Brush; Paula's Choice 2%BHA Liquid; Paula's Super Anti-oxidant Concentrate; Armani Skin Minerals for Men Regenerating Cream; Lancome's Genifique Eye Concentrate; Neutragena Ultra Sheer Daily Face SPF30+ sunscreen.
    Last edited by Dr_Rudi; 9th January 2010 at 02:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a big advocate of Zirh. They make a face wash called "Clean" that I've daily used for over 10 years. Dermalogica also makes a good facial cleanser. Zirh makes a whole line of products for men. The thing I like about them is they seem to have enough of a distribution network and client base to stick around. I've seen so many men's products companies come and go trying to establish themselves.

Don't confuse "cleanse" with "scrub." The scrub products are quite abrasive and should only be used once or maybe twice a week.

Zirh also makes a product called Age Defense. There's a high end "Platinum" and their regular line version of it. It's kind of a moisturizer. Works great. The Platinum is pricey, but worth it if you can afford it.

Once a week, I also use a mud mask. Best I ever used was Art of Shaving, but it too is pricey. There are many more affordable choices. Vitaman makes one that is the best I've used next to AOS.

Lastly, as an aftershave I use Geo F. Trumpers Skin Food. This stuff rocks.

I can't effectively recreate the science of the article I read about using these kind of products, but there is some thought that taking the time to focus on your face with some of these products pays big anti aging dividends over time. i.e. The results are not instantly recognized. Rather, it's like developing an excercise habit. in 5 years or so, there will be a big difference.

I don't know if I look my age or not, but my faces looks and feels great.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 11th January 2010 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    What an amazing post lol thank you! What about body cleansers?

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't really tried those per se. But, then again I do use Zirh's "Body Bar" which is an alpha hydroxy based bar soap similar to their "Clean" facial cleanser. It's one of the products that I get paranoid will disappear and I tend to almost "hoard" it.

I hate sounding like such a flak for Zirh, but to their credit, they've been around since 1995.

Prior to them, I spent years becoming hooked on certain men's grooming lines only to see them suddenly go under. If you ever go into a store like Barney's or Bloomingdales, there's always a couple of new product lines for men- soaps, shaving creams, eye creams- the works. Most of them fail.

Zirh has always been very aggressive, and in fact very often they put their own employees in store to assist the regular store SAs, probably at no cost to the store. And of course, they are always ready to push Zirh products.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 12th January 2010 at 03:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I started "daring" for my skin about a year ago and Clinique 3 Step was the first brand I used. After 6 months I drifted off to using Lab Series products and right now I am using a combination of different brands. My current cleanser is Lab Series Power Wash...I like it because all I need is a dime size amount to clean my face, ears and neck. It's a basic cleanser with mild exfoliating action. The 8.5 Fl oz bottle can really last a long time. I've had my bottle for 3 months and there's still about half a bottle left.

I use a toner/astringent too and currently Im using Biotherm T Pur Intense Mattifying Pore Retightening Lotion. The previous Clinique and Lab Series toners were cheaper but too strong for my skin and the salicylic acid in both toners didn't go too well with the benzoyl peroxide i'm using for my acne. Dried my skin out too much for comfort. I use a moisturizer too and currently I'm using Clinique's M Gel-Lotion. I cleanse, tone and moisturize twice a day.

Twice a week I use a facial scrub and clay mask. My current facial scrub is by Lab Series and clay mask too is by Lab Series. The LS clay mask is quite good but the scrub is rather average. Once my scrub finishes i'm switching to Clinique.

3 times a week I use St Ives Anti Blemish Apricot Scrub to combat the pesky bacne i tend to get once in a while.

Dr. Rudi's blog recommendation is very good. I have gotten many good tips from that site.
    Last edited by JoNnY 4; 12th January 2010 at 03:22 AM.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Nivea for Men line. So far so good. I'm on a budget, other posters with more experience can probably suggest better products.

Cheers.

Lancome series for men, wonder-stuff! They have different products for skin types. It really works for me, and i have tried quite different products for years before settling on Lancome.

Clinique

Post Thanks / Like

biotherme is good and not expensive
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Post Thanks / Like

Biotherm Aquapower

I am glad to see I am among like minded people here. I have had problems where I find a brand I really like and then go to buy it a couple of months later and it disappeared. I use Zirh, Clinique, Nivea, Refinery, Art of Shaving, sometimes a few others. I also hoard a couple of products, at any time I probably have five tubes of the Zirh Clean Alpha Hydroxy wash mentioned above. I have also read articles where proper skin care with alpha hydroxy use combined with sunscreen can pay off big later on. I am trying.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to mix it up a beat. Currently I am using Art of Shaving skin care line.
    Others I've used in the past and will in the future include:
    Jack Black
    Zihr
    Anthonys Logistics
    I'm sure the next time i'm in Nordstroms I'll find something else to try.

I'm switching over to more natural things. Just ordered some Zia Face Lotion ( http://www.vitacost.com/ZIA-Men-Dual-Action-Face-Lotion ) which features large amounts of rosewater and sandalwood, both excellent for your skin, along with a nice selection of other botanicals.

As for a facewash, I tend to keep it simple with the Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean face wash ( http://www.vitacost.com/Desert-Essen...mbination-Skin ) which is extremely natural and a great cleanser, although a bit too drying for winter use. Still trying to find the perfect cleanser for winter.

For moisturizers, shave creams, etc, look for
    Look for things with chamomile oil, carrot seed oil (shown to reduce wrinkles and decrease aging), helichrysum oil (rare to find as it is expensive, but extremely good for the skin - especially scars), yarrow oil, azulene or guiazulene (the chemical that makes yarrow and blue chamomile oils actually blue), sodium hylauronate (binds over 200 times its weight in moisture), rose oil or rose water, sandalwood oil/extract, rosemary, etc.

Besides being of the general belief that nature does things better than we can (what processed food or vitamin compares to its natural form regarding health benefits?), I especially enjoy products with these botanicals because of their close link to perfumery.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

Went to Saks last night because I'm running low on some stuff. I chose to go to Saks this time because I have some good relationships with the SAs. I purchased:
    Jack Black All over body wash, Hair/Face/Body
    Jack Black Moisturizer SPF 20
    Jack Black Line Remover Moisturizer, I use at night
    Jack Black Body Lotion
    Jack Black Hand Healer
    Jack Black Body Powder

Pleasant experience and I also scored samples from By Kilian. A number of which I already have, so now no need to purchase any time soon.

I was recently given a "Midnight Recovery Concentrate" by Kiehl's which is a serum, it has a very light oil-like consistency, that absorbs very fast into the skin and it has a light lavender scent, which i found to be very comforting.

The stuff is great, leaves the skin rested for the next day. And you only need just one drop of it for your face.

I use La Roche-Posay products on my face. I have reactive/redness prone skin, so I use the following.

Cleanse with Physiological Cleansing Gel.
    Exfoliate twice per week with Physiological Ultra-Fine Scrub.
    Tone with Thermal Spring Water.
    Moisturize with Rosaliac UV Anti-Redness Moisturizer.

I use Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion on the body & Ingram's Regular Camphor Cream on elbows/knees/heels & wherever else skin ends up too rough.

Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream & Burt's Bees Lemon-Butter Cuticle Cream on the hands.

If I'm forced to be out in full sun (very rarely) then Anthelios 60 Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid for the face & Anthelios 45 Ultra-Light Fluid for Body for my arms/scalp/neck.

Oh lord , I guess I will chip in although I deny such shinanigans !

Cleanser , Neutrogena grapefruit facial wash
    Eyes , Clarins Anti Fatigue Eye Serum
    Face Moisturiser , Clarins Hydrant Moisture Gel
    Legs , I get really dry skin on my legs , just Vaseline intensive care moisturiser

Post Thanks / Like

Only the type of the cosmetics products I use tend to alternate, since I switch back and forth between using and not using certain cosmetics: after shave balms, body cream, body lotion, face wash, face scrub, hand creme and more. Yet, I tend to be pretty constant regarding the brands used and liked by me, usually budget brands like: Nivea for Men, Gillette series, Bourjois and others along these lines

Guys come on -- Nivea, Gillette, Garnier, Clinique, Biotherm? Being on a budget is fine, but this is our face we're talking about. All these products will soon give breakouts.

Invest in La Roche Posay, or Avene, or Cetaphil, or good old St Ives scrub from time to time. At least for your face.
    Last edited by pkhunter; 7th August 2011 at 03:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I swear by Kiehls. Their line has done well for me.
    Last edited by The Duke; 8th August 2011 at 03:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pkhunter View Post
    Guys come on -- Nivea, Gillette, Garnier, Clinique, Biotherm? Being on a budget is fine, but this is our face we're talking about. All these products will soon give breakouts.

Invest in La Roche Posay, or Avene, or Cetaphil, or good old St Ives scrub from time to time. At least for your face.
    Welcome to Basenotes pkhunter

Just a couple of points I'd take issue with:

Personally, I wouldn't include Clinique in your 'budget' group - their products are actually quite pricey, certainly more so than Cetaphil which you suggest 'investing' in. I happen to enjoy the ranges from both companies.
    Also, I think it unfair to say "all these products will soon give breakouts". To which specific products are you referring? Face washes, moisturisers, shaving foams, aftershave balms, toners, cleansers, face masks, exfoliants... ? It is important to remember that each person's skin is different. What works for one may not for another.

Anyway, this week I have been testing some Liz Earle products, namely:

- Intensive nourishing treatment mask,
    - Instant boost skin tonic
    - Skin repair moisturiser.

Very impressed so far with all three. The moisturiser is quite thick, and takes a while to sink in, so I've tended to apply it at night. But my skin is looking the better for it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I've tried my share of 'mens' skin care and many of them break me out... (in addition to being stereotypical in scent) Anyway, here is my bi-daily skincare routine-

Bliss Foaming Face Cleanser (only qualm with this is that it contains parabens)
    Guerlain Super-Aqua Toner (sometimes I will only use this as a moisturizer... particularly in summer)
    Guerlain Super-Aqua Eye Serum
    Guerlain Super-Aqua Face Serum

For SPF protection/primer I use Chanel UV Essential or NARS Pro-Prime w/ spf.

I alternate using NARS Mud Mask + Aqua hydrator mask (made by shiseido), and Dr Brandt microdermabrasion (with at least 3 days between each use) for more 'intensive' cleansing

lastly, I have to be very careful about what I put on my head. I try to avoid using any hair products. This is unrealistic for most people, but hairstyling and such products easily give me forehead acne. Not pretty.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cetaphil face wash for oily skin, Dove unscented body wash, Dove unscented deodorant, nivea sensitive skin aftershave balm, followed up by a light coat of loreal for men moisturizer with SPF 15. I use Truefitt & Hill or Art of Shaving shave cream along with a badger hair brush.

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    Lancome series for men, wonder-stuff! They have different products for skin types. It really works for me, and i have tried quite different products for years before settling on Lancome.
    I use these also. Very good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    I bought a load of these on sale, but they contains parabens & perfume and I'm just not sure how smart that is in skin care products

So I've dumped them and use Clinique and Helena Rubinstein now.

Still have 8 Lancome Men Reenergy Yeux left and this is ok since it's fragrance free. Then have 3 Age Fight face gels left and 3 pots Reenergy 3D face cream.

Will use it up and then solely use Clinique and Helena Rubinstein.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Post Thanks / Like

I made a thread about men, who uses female fragrances.

I said I don't use tid but ONLY because I never smelled a female frag I actually liked enough (to wear)

When it comes to skin care products I sure can tell you and prove that I really use what works and often female skin care products are better designed and more advanced than male products.

Yes, a women's skin is thinner and drier than men's but if you know your skin care, you can adapt and find products that work.

I have used Clinique skin care products for men since I was 20 - so 20 years of skin care on my face

I bought a truck load of Lancome for men since I liked their products and still have 8 Reenergy Yeux frag free left, 3 age fight and 3 Reenergy 3D.

But they may smell mosky and manly but I have EDT for that stuff. Skin care products should be (close to) fragrance and scent free IMHO !!

And Lancome For men is full of perfume and parabens.
    Mind you - I'm a skin care freak for a man.
    Being 40 years old, I need to take care to stay good looking.

My skin care program takes me 20 minutes each day - shaving not included.

I use Clinique or Lancome face scrub 1-2 times a week. Then Clinique extra mild face soap followed by shave, then I use a fragrance free after shave balm from either Proraso or Speick (cheap stuff, but the BEST)
    followed one of 3 Mühle After shave balm lotions ( I have Mint, sandalwood and seathorn ) with a little bit of alcohol.

Then I use Clinique Scruffing lotion strength 1 during winter and strength 2 during summer

Then Clinique M Lotion during winter and M Lotion Gel during summer.

Then Clinique Laser repair serum on forehead and around eyes. (this is female only product)

Then Clinique all about eyes ( female priduct) followed by Lancome for men Reenergy Yeux.

Then Clinique Youth Surge SPF 15 day cream or Youth surge night cream - depending on time of day.

If I need extra moisture during the day I use either Lancone for men age fight gel or Truefitt & Hill advanced antiage moisturiser.

This is my skin care ritual
    I'm a fanatic and I use female products as long as they are scent less. I don't mind using female products, as they often are made in 2-3 versions depending on your skin type. So I just get the dryest/less fat version, as men has more oily skin than women.

I sometimes use Helena Rubinstein Prodigy Day or Night Tisular creams instead if youth surge when I want some extra luxurious
    Last edited by CHSeifert; 26th September 2011 at 09:18 AM.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Hugo Boss Cleanser or Chanel (The one for oily skin) morning and night.
    I use Clinique face scrub (the BEST scrub ever) twice a week.
    I tone using the Chanel Toner (the blue one) every night.
    I moisturise with a half/half mixture of Clinique Gel for Men and Dior for Men, morning and night.

Anyone used any of the Aromatherapy Associates line? If so, what are your thoughts? I'm specifically interested in facial cleansers and moisturizers but would love to hear feedback about anything of theirs.

I received a sample of one of their lotions once - it was fantastic. The scent was all natural but absolutely gorgeous and lasted at least 4 hours, but if I recall it was more like 6-8. They seem to use almost no synthetics and large proportions of natural oils in their products. Pricey though.. ugh!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My line-up:

1. Vaseline - for the winter
    2. Sunblock - for the summer
    3. Bentonite Clay - for weekly use
    4. St. Ives Microabrasion - for regular use

(I've heard Microabrasion and Bentonite Clay could easily compete with the much more expensive Clinique products. I can't verify that 100%, but I'm very happy with the two.)

Kyoku makes some great products for me. I use their lava mask and eye fuel. The stuff feels & works great. I also like a couple of the facial scrubs and face washes & lotions from Billy Jealousy. All natural & my face feels & looks great after using these. Jack Black also makes some nice ones. Their facial cleansing/shaving bar is fantastic.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Do you put a layer of vaseline over your entire face during the winter months? Does that not clog up your pores? I'm going to try the Bentonite clay and the St. Ives microabrasion. Thanks for the advice.

On non shaving days.

Morning and Night

Anthony's Logistics for Men Glycolic Facial Cleanser http://www.anthony.com/store/product...cial-cleanser/

Jack Black Skin Serum http://www.getjackblack.com/Products...-3__2012O.aspx

Philosophy Hope in a Jar Moisturizer and sunblock http://www.philosophy.com/skincare-m...spf-25-product

On shaving days.

Pre Shave

Anthony's Logistics for Men Glycolic Facial Cleanser

Anthony's Logistics for Men Facial Scrub http://www.anthony.com/store/product/facial-scrub/

Anthony's Logistics for Men Pre Shave Oil http://www.anthony.com/store/product/pre-shave-oil/

or

The Art of Shaving Pre Shave Oil http://www.theartofshaving.com/Unsce...-pre-shave-oil

Shave

The Art of Shaving Shaving Cream http://www.theartofshaving.com/Shavi...-shaving-cream

Jack Black Skin Serum

Philosophy Hope in a Jar Moisturizer and sunblock

I also use Anthony's Astringent Toner Pads every few days.

When I go to get facials. Yes I am a man and do get facials, they feel amazing, I ask my esthetician is there anything better I can do she gave me an honest answer, and said no. Which I liked because normally they try to sale you expensive stuff at their spa. So I guess I my routine although a little time consuming, is working.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Nivea for Men line
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

I love Kiehls products!!

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Origins Clean Energy face wash has been great to my sensitive acne prone skin. It's an oil cleanser which seems weird but it's great.

Face wash - Olay
    moisturizer - osmium for men. I have tried many expensive creams but i felt this was the best. Considering that i have a oily skin
    it has managed to provide a matte effect and with natural shine.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Skin care products?

Face : KIEHLS ENERGIZING FACE WASH, KIEHLS FACIAL FUEL SPF 15 and ARAMIS LAB SERIES SPF 15
    Body : SOAP LA ROCHE-POSAY ( also for face ), NEUTROGENA UNSCENTED BODY LOTIN and URIAGE UNSCENTED BODY LOTIO
    Shampoo : La Roche-Posay KERIUM Extra-Gentle Shampoo
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Kiehl's and Shiseido man Cleansing Foam
    Korres Hair, Korres shower gels
    Valmont Prime Contour eyes
    Valmont Radiance Cream face
    Last edited by tristan1973; 22nd October 2012 at 01:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

hi guys

well I am 30 yo almost 31 yo ( in about two months)

so my question is:
    what would you recommend me for starting taking care of my face?

thanks a lot

I've simplified now to a simple coconut oil soap (Kirk's natural) and organic coconut oil (lightly refined to remove the coconut smell) as a lotion. It works excellently - I would still get the occasional random pimple before but haven't in quite some time now - and is gentler on my face. Also, gentler on my wallet.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Post Thanks / Like

Lately moved on towards the Les Essentiels by Vichy and Alverde Man (with vegan ingredients) skin care ranges - the results: being well moisturized, cleansed and refreshed thought the day.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've tried a lot of things (but these are the things that work for me, and they're budget-friendly)
    St. Ives Microabrasion
    Vaseline
    Bentonite Clay
    Clean and Clear Advantage
    Ivory Soap
    Baking Soda