Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Any BN's into wetshaving? Straight razor or double edged?

It's an art form and very interesting. Would like to know how many guys out there aren't afraid of putting a blade to their face?
    Last edited by senore01; 20th August 2012 at 10:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Any BS's into wetshaving? Straight razor or double edged?

Wetshaving, yes, all my attempts at electric shaving failed to be close and accurate. But, while I never tried straight razor yet (problematic because of the purchase possibilities of high quality straight razors where I live), I do wet shave daily, mainly alternating between DE and multiblade.

Post Thanks / Like

What does "BS" mean, please?
    Regards,
    Renato

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry I meant BN's as in Basenoter's . Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    I'm sorry I meant BN's as in Basenoter's . Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
    No problem - I'd just thought it was another of these acronyms I hadn't kept up with.
    You can amend the Title in Advanced editing mode.

Wet shaving is great fun - be it cartridge or Double Edge.
    Straight razor shaving I'm sure is wonderful for those who've mastered it.

I'm also a bit of a heretic as I don't mind electric shaving either - and especially using the pop-up trimmer in most electric razors.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

I've found that electric gives me rashes under the chin, so I learned to wetshave with a safety-razor and once you get the knack, find the roight products and observe the rituals, it seems like a more skin-friendly affair. More fun, too. Some day I may take a course in straight-razor shaving, I dare not try on my own for fear of ending up a scarface.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Some day I may take a course in straight-razor shaving, I dare not try on my own for fear of ending up a scarface.
    Scarface is an exaggeration, but nick-face wouldn't be - at least that's the case if using a shavette.
    One needs lots of Alum handy to stop the copious blood flow (and yes, I did study Youtube Videos).
    Cheers,
    Renato

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Any BN's into wetshaving? Straight razor or double edged?

Their are excellent videos on YouTube, regarding wet shaving, both double edged and straight shaving. I actually learned to straight shave watching these videos. It is so much better for your face.

Post Thanks / Like

Wet shave in the shower I've found is the best for my skin - its the only way I can shave that doesnt result in me getting razor burn

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, wouldn't have it any other way.

DE for me. I own a Gillette Slim Adjustable, a Gillette Tech, a Merkur 34c, and a Gillette Old Type. I have my eye on a Weber DLC when they release their next batch. My favourite blade currently is Astra SPs (green packet) and I have a badger, a boar and a horsehair brush. In terms of software, I'm getting on rather well with Italian soft soaps these days: Cella, Proraso etc.

Will consider learning to use a straight at some point in future.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a Parker R31 double edge I believe, and use feathers or shark super chrome blades with a badger brush and geo.f. Trumpers shaving cream. Since switching to using a DE, I stopped getting razor bumps or irritation and I can shave every day. I'm pretty skilled at shaving, but whenever I get too comfortable I give myself a nice present in the form of a gush of blood lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using a merkur 38c, the pilot heads were too aggresive for my face. I recommend a merkur because the heads are more forgiving, only if I stop paying attention will I cut myself. My suggestion is to take extra car in making a good lather and use a pre shave oil. Check out youtube videos for lathering techniques and the bader and blade website.

I took up wet shaving and made it the cornerstone of my morning ritual. As weird as it sound its almost spiritual to me. I feel "off" if I don't start my day with a good clean shave. Makes me feel like a million bucks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Upstart View Post
    I'm using a merkur 38c, the pilot heads were too aggresive for my face. I recommend a merkur because the heads are more forgiving, only if I stop paying attention will I cut myself.
    I haven't tried the 38C, but have tried Merkurs 25C, 33C, Slant and Bakelite. The Bakelite is very aggressive, while I'd rate the 33C head as mid range on the aggressive/mild scale.

Milder razors I've tried include the old Gillette Tech, which is mild with any blade and works well with any cream, and is less likely to nick than the Merkur 33C.

Clones of the old Gillette Tech, like the Lord L5/122 and the Indian made Gillette Sterling are milder than the original.
    Milder still is my Weber DLC razor.
    In fact, the Gillette Sterling and Weber DLC were so mild on me that I had to use very sharp blades like Astra SPs and Feathers to make them work well.
    Also I've had issues getting a close shave from the Lord L5, Gillette Sterling and Weber DLC when I've used ultra slippery creams like Trumpers shave cream, but they've been excellent with lather from a soap puck or less slippery creams.

Which is why I rate the Merkur 33C head as more aggressive than the aforementioned, as it doesn't have those issues.
    Regards,
    Renato

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Been there and done it. Shaved with just about everything available.

To be honest it was a bit of a faff so I'm happy enough with gel and Fusion ProGlide.

Simples.

Post Thanks / Like

I am in my fourth year of trying to find an "ultimate" shaver. Cannot count all of the Gillettes and blades I tried over the years.
    Fat boys (2 off), slim and black beauty adjustables, various techs, superspeeds, red tip and even an English Rocket. Nothing really satisfied me in terms of a great comphortable shave.
    No matter what I do and how careful I am in preparation I always get nicks. Really frustrates me. Cannot understand what I am doing wrong. I use the best creams/soaps, badger brush, quality blades from Gillettes of all sorts to Astras, Merkurs, BiCs, Derbys, Personnas-I tried them all.
    I am getting really frustrated. Even tried sheavette learning from the Youtube. I made a really big cut on my cheek and gave up.
    The only razor that I was completely satisfied with was a Japanese KAI II double blade cartridge razor. No nicks, cuts, rash, bumps, ingrown hairs - nothing, just a perfect shave. The only problem with KAI was that it was superseded a couple of years ago. The one I had I bought in Singapore (at Mustafa's) and this is THE ultimate shaver.
    I even contacted a company in Japan and asked if they can sell some to me. The answer was, sorry, cannot do, but we can send you a few packs as a sample.
    I cherished every cartridge I had, but all gone now. Sad, I know...
    I resorted to Gillette Sensor Excell these days and BiC Metals but nothing can beat KAI for quality of the shave. Don't know what it is: steel quality, sharpness, blade angle-I could hear the sound of the blades cutting my hair, simply unbelievable.
    If anyone know where I could get KAI II from I would greatly appreciate that.
    Cheers,
    Alex

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    No matter what I do and how careful I am in preparation I always get nicks. Really frustrates me. Cannot understand what I am doing wrong.
    Alex
    Hi Alex,
    I had to chuckle at the way one of us exactly duplicated the other's adventure with a shavette.

If you always get nicks have you tried,
    a. Using either olive oil or Art of Shaving Pre-Shave oil (in tiny amounts) - they certainly reduces the incidence of nicks from average soaps and average shave creams, or
    b. Tried King Of Shaves - Azor Advanced Shaving Gel? Amazingly, with a DE blade I got zero stings from an Alum block after I used the gel, and my best soaps and creams always give me alum stings (even if I have no visible nicks).

I did a write up of Australian Shave creams in a thread at Badger&Blade,
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...sed-Down-Under
    Have you tried the Windsor and Natio creams that I'm really impressed with?
    Cheers,
    Renato

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

straight razor all the way!!! sucked learning though

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Hi Alex,
    I had to chuckle at the way one of us exactly duplicated the other's adventure with a shavette.

If you always get nicks have you tried,
    a. Using either olive oil or Art of Shaving Pre-Shave oil (in tiny amounts) - they certainly reduces the incidence of nicks from average soaps and average shave creams, or
    b. Tried King Of Shaves - Azor Advanced Shaving Gel? Amazingly, with a DE blade I got zero stings from an Alum block after I used the gel, and my best soaps and creams always give me alum stings (even if I have no visible nicks).

I did a write up of Australian Shave creams in a thread at Badger&Blade,
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...sed-Down-Under
    Have you tried the Windsor and Natio creams that I'm really impressed with?
    Cheers,
    Renato
    I own a few pre shave oils, and the art of shaving is the worst. It's far too thick and causes the blade to clog, causing way too much resistance and therefore butchering your face. I'm not a fan. King of shaves or jack black beard lube are acceptable replacements, but I feel that a good lather is best.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Renato, I might try some of the pre-shave oils mate.

Not sure if I am using what you called an "average" shave creams or soaps. Currently I am using Italian Palmolive (menthol), Trumper's Rose cream, Dr. Harris Arlington and Tabac shaving soap. I thought those are pretty good... I use Alum block as well plus various aftershaves and balms (Musgo Real, Nivea Sensitive, Skin food, etc.)

As I said in my previous post: I just cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. Unless it's my skin (but KAI II did work perfectly).

Renato, I read your post on B&B, great read. I've also encountered Colonel Conk locally (but haven't used personally), saw some creams and soaps at Crabtree and Evelyn, L'Occitane, Trumper's at Ludlow's and MensBiz.com, TOBS on Collins St.
    Certainly, there is a good variety of creams can be had in Melbourne in addition to the ones you've mentioned.
    Happy shaving,
    Alex

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erok32 View Post
    I own a few pre shave oils, and the art of shaving is the worst. It's far too thick and causes the blade to clog, causing way too much resistance and therefore butchering your face. I'm not a fan. King of shaves or jack black beard lube are acceptable replacements, but I feel that a good lather is best.
    If you check the reviews at Badger & Blade - everyone for pages totally rubbishes AOS pre-shave oil as the worst, most hopeless thing ever. Then someone says the trick is to use a very tiny amount of it. Then most of the reviews become glowing.

That's what I found to be the case - it is hopeless if too much is applied. Shame they didn't make that point obvious on the bottle.
    Cheers,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Thanks Renato, I might try some of the pre-shave oils mate.

Not sure if I am using what you called an "average" shave creams or soaps. Currently I am using Italian Palmolive (menthol), Trumper's Rose cream, Dr. Harris Arlington and Tabac shaving soap. I thought those are pretty good... I use Alum block as well plus various aftershaves and balms (Musgo Real, Nivea Sensitive, Skin food, etc.)

As I said in my previous post: I just cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. Unless it's my skin (but KAI II did work perfectly).

Renato, I read your post on B&B, great read. I've also encountered Colonel Conk locally (but haven't used personally), saw some creams and soaps at Crabtree and Evelyn, L'Occitane, Trumper's at Ludlow's and MensBiz.com, TOBS on Collins St.
    Certainly, there is a good variety of creams can be had in Melbourne in addition to the ones you've mentioned.
    Happy shaving,
    Alex
    Hi Alex,
    You have top notch shaving creams and soaps. Trumpers Sandalwood is my gold standard in terms of slipperiness in creams (Crabtree& Evelyn is the runner-up to date). The only thing I've found more slippery is the goo gel that comes out of the 5 blade Schick Hydro cartridges. Tabac soap isn't as slippery, and the cushioning effect of its tallow (that many rave) about continues to elude me. I can't see much difference between it and other vegetable soaps.

Yes, we have heaps of foreign creams available in Melbourne, but they're pretty expensive - what I was trying to show was that the very moderately priced Aussie made ones were on par with the very expensive foreign ones.

If you are like me, your problem may well be "quality" blades. I don't like them. I have several threads at B&B in the razor blade section about Astra SPs.
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...-all-that-Much

Basically, I first went off DE shaving for decades because it would take 5 days of nicks before my English made Wilkinson Sword blade finally came good and stopped nicking me, and it then stayed good for the next two weeks. With Astra SPs, I've done 15 shaves before it finally has nearly stopped nicking me - and that is with it in my second mildest razor.
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...ndard-SS-Blade

Have you tried using Supermax Stainless Steel (the cheapest blades you can find on Ebay) or Gillette Super Thin Stainless Steel? You may get a nick on the first shave, but they are nowhere near as vicious as Feather and Astra SP blades, and are fine on the second and subsequent shaves. The only problem they have is that if you use them in a really mild razor - like some Gillette Tech clones - with Trumpers cream, they don't shave very close at all. And they are absolutely hopeless in my mildest razor, my Weber DLC, with any soap or cream, which needs a Feather or Astra`SP to deliver a close nickless shave - I can't nick myself with it.

It's a good thing I don't work in Melbourne anymore, I shudder to think what my collection would be like if I still did.

Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 30th August 2012 at 02:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

...It's a good thing I don't work in Melbourne anymore, I shudder to think what my collection would be like if I still did.

Regards,
    Renato
    No kidding ! You've really been bitten by the shaving bug. Great to read your posts here and on B&B, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    No kidding ! You've really been bitten by the shaving bug. Great to read your posts here and on B&B, mate.
    Thanks. In part it's the hobby and in part it's the forums. People here and at B&B are a pretty genial lot which engenders enthusiasm. Other forums, like a photographic equipment forum I visit, have nice people too, but also seem to have people who one wonders if they ever communicate with anybody in day to day life.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erok32 View Post
    I'm pretty skilled at shaving, but whenever I get too comfortable I give myself a nice present in the form of a gush of blood lol.
    Know it well. After saying on another thread here that I cut myself maybe once a year or less with a cutthroat, I have given myself 3 nicks in about a month.

I guess its time to get the stone out again.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah been wet shaving for nearly a year now and haven't looked back, got an Edwin Jagger DE89L nice razor comfortable and very efficient. I got a set of various blades to try out as well, highly recommend Derby blades and Astra SP's for beginners and then progress to Feathers

Post Thanks / Like

I could never not wet shave. I prefer a straight razor for the best shave, but it did take some practice. Love it though. I shave my head too and neither the straight or the DE work very well for this, so I have to bust out the Gillette cart for the head.

Hi Senore01...

Just getting into shaving with a straight razor myself. I can highly recommend a visit to a forum called straight razor place. Really good set of chaps who will help you all the way.

Pop by and take a look if youre interested.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tbert33 View Post
    Hi Senore01...

Just getting into shaving with a straight razor myself. I can highly recommend a visit to a forum called straight razor place. Really good set of chaps who will help you all the way.

Pop by and take a look if youre interested.
    Badger & Blade ftw IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by tehtimmeh View Post
    Badger & Blade ftw IMO...
    Sorry if this may sound rude but i wasnt asking your opinion. A previous post already mentioned B&B so why not let this guy know that there are other forums out there for his new hobby?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by KSG View Post
    Yeah been wet shaving for nearly a year now and haven't looked back, got an Edwin Jagger DE89L nice razor comfortable and very efficient. I got a set of various blades to try out as well, highly recommend Derby blades and Astra SP's for beginners and then progress to Feathers
    I use this razor as well with the Ninja sharp feather blades and it gives you that baby smooth close shave everytime. Though I do have a alum block close at hand just in case.

Post Thanks / Like

Straight razor user here!!

I have a quarter grind Le Grelot, two Filly's and a Puma. All superb shavers that I've been using continuously since 2005 Shame I can't add these to my BN wardrobe!!

I use traditional shaving soap for the shave exclusively. I haven't used a cream in years. I'll never go back to the twenty-blade system (or whatever it is now) and the canned goo. My face is in much better shape since I started this 'hobby'!

Post Thanks / Like

Double edge safety razor. Most often, vintage Gillettes.
    If I Could Only Have a Dozen:
    1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Creed Silver Mountain Water
    3. Guerlain Vetiver
    4. Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa
    5. Creed Bois Du Portugal
    6. Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree
    7. Creed Tabarome Millesime
    8. Guerlain Heritage
    9. Penhaligon's Sartorial
    10. Creed Royal Oud
    11. Chanel Egoiste
    12. Creed EROLFA

Post Thanks / Like

Feather RG club series straight razor with Rooney badger hair brush. I use Art of Shaving sandalwood shaving cream.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Art of Shaving sandalwood shaving cream is fantastic. Highly recommend it.

Post Thanks / Like

Art of Shaving sandalwood shaving cream is fantastic. Highly recommend it.
    It lathers up excellently and smells fantastic. My razor glides right over it.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Post Thanks / Like

It's an art form and very interesting. Would like to know how many guys out there aren't afraid of putting a blade to their face?
    I use a Hoffritz Slant razor for my daily shaver and I have some straights as well. Shave quality is excellent.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a Truefitt & Hill Carlton DE with a Chubby 3 Manchurian and misc soaps/creams.

I find wet shaving to be much better than a cartridge shave.

for swap/sale:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I use a Truefitt & Hill Carlton DE with a Chubby 3 Manchurian and misc soaps/creams.

I find wet shaving to be much better than a cartridge shave.
    A Chubby 3 - blimey! You could lather a Gorilla with that!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joe mcclaine View Post
    A Chubby 3 - blimey! You could lather a Gorilla with that!
    Indeed it can!

Here it is next to the Wee Scott in best

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

After wet shaving for 6 or 8 months, I have to admit that I can't decide which I prefer - DE or cartridge.
    Even most of the 3 and 4 blade disposable razors are pretty good.
    The Persona 2 blade disposable is good, but I'm unimpressed with all the other 2 blade and single blade disposables I've tried.
    The single blade Gillette Guard system that is being sold in India works quite impressively too.

One thing I have noticed is that all the gooey cartridge razors (e.g Schick Hydro) don't shave close enough with the high quality slippery creams. Instead they work better with soaps and cheap canned stuff.

With DE I've found that I really don't like the ultra sharp blades like Astra SPs - even though I get 20+ shaves out of one. I actually like milder blades like Shark Stainless Steel, or something in between like Gillette Super Thins or Supermax Stainless Steel.
    Regards,
    Renato

I find DE shaving more economical as I only get one shave out of a disposable razor blade compared to eight out of a feather blade. I did a calculation that for £10 I could buy 15 decent disposables and get 15 shaves. Or by four packs of razors which have ten blades in them and get 320 shaves. No brainer for me.

Yep, DE/SE man here. Been at it for almost 4 years.
    I got into it as cartridges (or more likely the canned goo) gave me some ingrowns on my neck area.
    The best thing about it, though, is that I now enjoy shaving.
    I have turned what was once a chore into an enjoyable hobby.
    No more getting yelled at by the gf because I look dishevelled. Now I'm clean shaven almost every single day.

My usual hardware rotation is:

Brushes - Semogue 1305 for hard soaps
    Rod Neep custom silvertip or Omega Stripey silvertip for creams
    Chubby 2 Super for soft soaps

Razors - Merkur Futur and Slanthammer are my go-to DEs. Use them with Feathers and Personnas (both Lab and Red IP).
    Gem Open Comb MicroMatic and Henckels Rapide are my go-to SEs. Use them with Gem SE blades.

Software is different every day.
    I've got about 150 different soaps and creams (plus a good few samples) to use up at some stage.
    P.160 soft type and Tabac soap are always on my bathroom counter, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I find DE shaving more economical as I only get one shave out of a disposable razor blade compared to eight out of a feather blade. I did a calculation that for £10 I could buy 15 decent disposables and get 15 shaves. Or by four packs of razors which have ten blades in them and get 320 shaves. No brainer for me.
    Interesting how we vary.
    I got 10 shaves out of a Gillette Fusion cartridge, before I bought a Razorpit, and it's up to about 20 shaves now. At B&B, people are only using the cartridge for 3 to six shaves.
    And I apply the disposables to the Razorpit, and I haven't disposed of any of them yet.

But then again, I've only gotten rid of one DE blade during the entire period too.

At the rate I'm going, I have a life time's supply of DE blades, and a life time's supply of cartridge and disposables.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

I get 3-4 shaves out of a feather blade and then switch it out. I'm not sure if the blade's necessarily dull, but I want to ensure that it's at maximum sharpness.

I use a double edge safety razor. I have an Gillette Aristocrat, a few different Gillette Superspeeds, a gillette Fatboy, and a Merkur HD. I also have 2 Gems that are single edge.
    I enjoy using an old Gillette, a nice Badger brush, and some good shaving soap or cream. It is also much cheaper in the long run to use D/E blades. I also love the variety of D/E blades available. I have used Feather, Derby, Merkur, Dorco, and Astra.

I actually bought 100 Astra blades for $15 shipped. That is probably about the price of 4 cartridges of Gillettes newest and baddest 10 blader.

Post Thanks / Like

i have a merkur slant bar with feather blades....it works good for the side of my face but for the neck and around the chin and upper lip i use a standard mach 3.(my features are so chizled around the jaw and neck it is hard to get a flat plane to glide double edge against.
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

Post Thanks / Like

I started wetshaving not too long ago and threw out my stick razors and goo.

Now every shave is a fun spa session instead of a chore.

As far as more economical... lol not really. I keep buying new creams, soaps, AS, brushes, and razors.

Post Thanks / Like

I've now switched to a Muhle r41 two months ago & haven't used any other razor again.
    i sometimes get a DFS with the r41 from the single first WTG pass.

I recently got Tabula Rasa, Mitchel's Wool Fat, I Coloniali and a couple of D.R. Harrisses, Geo F. Trumpers too.

I'm going through each soap slowly. Im shaving at least ten to fifteen proper shaves before trying a new soap. This is the only way for me to assess each soap's qualities & features.

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

I've been getting slack lately. All that brushing business.
    I'm finding that many of the creams work nearly as well by just putting them on, rubbing them in, and not bothering to brush.
    Regards,
    Renato

CologneFan85

I use a straight edge, I learned to use one in the Navy. And my good buddy Donnie Hawleywood always cut my hair and shaved my face with one got me back into the habit of using a straight razor.

www.hawleywoods.com

Post Thanks / Like

I use a double-edged razor - an Aristocrat Junior. Terrific razor, manufactured in Britain during the '50s.

Currently I'm using Penhaligon's Endymion cream and balm (both of which are fantastic, if just a little pricey.)

I like shavenook.com for discussing wetshaving.

Male Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been getting slack lately. All that brushing business.
    I'm finding that many of the creams work nearly as well by just putting them on, rubbing them in, and not bothering to brush.
    Regards,
    Renato
    How do you re-lather? I use the brush as a cream/soap reservoir for subsequent passes. I presume you resquirt from the tube, which seems just as much palaver as re-applying from the brush?

DE safety for me: Merkur Futur and Feather stainless razors. Astra, Feather and Personna Med Prep blades.
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.