Code of Conduct

Default Dior Leather Oud and Dior Oud Ispahan package

I finally received my LO 100 ml and OI 7.5 ml package. Thank god I went for the LO as everyone reccommended. Oud Ispahan is good for 30 minutes, a Rosy hookah smoke which descends into a wonderful woody drydown on my skin. Leather Oud is beautiful, it shares a few top notes with Le Labo Oud 27, so the first 1-1.5 hours are a bit annoying but when the Civet and honey enter the picture, LO morphs into an amazing and magical scent. I find the drydown similar to Absolue pour Le Soir, but LO is more smooth and complex. Great blind buy! A must have for Civet lovers! LO vaguely reminded me also of well made Men's Civet fragrances from the 70s and 80s.
    Special thanks to Heperd!
    Last edited by vinramani09; 15th January 2014 at 01:39 AM.

Default Re: Dior Leather Oud and Dior Oud Ispahan package

I'm a big fan of Leather Oud too and it does have that Eighties/Seventies vibe. One thing though be careful wearing it when it's really hot as the civet comes alive in a way you will not expect.lol Enjoy!

I could easily see Julian Kaye from American Gigolo rocking this circa 1979, the more I sniff my arm, the more I get that image lol. The fragrance does evoke the hedonism yet ultra sophistication of that late 70s/early 80s era.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOZPRm5BW0Y
    Last edited by vinramani09; 19th August 2012 at 09:18 AM.

Have and enjoy both these very nice scents.

I wouldn't know what to do with 100 ml of LO! I'm well served for a looong time with my 10 ml decant. It is indeed a geat scent if you like your frags skanky.
    OI is a well made take on the usual rose/oud combo that I greatly enjoy myself, but it certainly isn't pushing any boundaries.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

I think both are okay, nothing special. Oud Ispahan is just another typical Rose + Oud fragrance. IMO, very similar to Montale Black Aoud.

Leather Oud is very oudy and animalistic. Wasn't very impressed.

Of the two, I prefer OI.

Enjoy...I am also a big fan of Leather Oud.

I like them too almost equally, Oud Ispahan is easyer to wear while Leather Oud is more unique.
    Both project pretty well (specially LO) and last for a loooong time (specially OI)

Just purchased LO today. Pretty linear scent on my skin but has a beautiful odor to it regardless. I get a good 8 hrs out of it and the projection is really good. I will only do 3 sprays of this when I apply it.

It has the "stinky/skanky" aspect to it that Knize 10 has when it dries down. Otherwise these are two different leathers and worth owning both of them.

I also smelled OI in the store today. A sweet cloying rose scent. I feel it would work beautifully on a dark skinned woman (super model IMAN).

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

How this Dior's leather oud compare to Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather? I am looking to purchase one of the two. I like older fragrances a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    How this Dior's leather oud compare to Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather? I am looking to purchase one of the two. I like older fragrances a lot.
    Tuscan Leather smells like leatherwear or a leather couch. It's very simple, yet classy. Leather Oud is animalistic and not as safe. It depends on whether you want a safe or daring leather fragrance.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    They are totally different. I purchased Leather Oud and it has become one of my favorites. All the comments above and on other threads all have a ring of truth. I found it a bit unique and different...very well made and an absolutely beautiful dry down. I have also become fond of Tuscan Leather. it is...trying to find the right word...elegant like a well worn leather wallet..a classic 450 Mercedes SL....much safer perhaps. Leather Oud has a bit more edge...perhaps like my favorite car..a '55 T-Bird or a jet black Harley. Just has more of an edge. I am not a fan of blind buys...especially with the price we are speaking of. Even though I own Leather Oud I can see owning Tuscan Leather also...they are that different.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Very, very helpful. Thank you so much for the info.

Tuscan Leather = the leather lovers scent. Smells like a leather belt, wallet, etc. Leather is at the forefront. Classy scent. My wife really liked it on me.

Leather Oud = animalistc oud scent with leather in the background.

TL is the safer scent out of the two. Both have great longevity & projection.

Like both. Oud Ispahan has a good vintage vibe!
    Last edited by Alvus; 24th August 2012 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    I finally received my LO 100 ml and OI 7.5 ml package. Thank god I went for the LO as everyone reccommended. Oud Ispahan is good for 30 minutes, a Rosy hookah smoke which descends into a very boring sour woody drydown on my skin. Leather Oud is beautiful, it shares a few top notes with Le Labo Oud 27, so the first 1-1.5 hours are a bit annoying but when the Civet and honey enter the picture, LO morphs into an amazing and magical scent. I find the drydown similar to Absolue pour Le Soir, but LO is more smooth and complex. Great blind buy! A must have for Civet lovers! LO vaguely reminded me also of well made Men's Civet fragrances from the 70s and 80s.
    Special thanks to Heperd!
    I sent you 100ml! Holy hell!
    Leather Oud is for sure the top #1 in the Dior Privee line. That 7.5ml should last you a while then huh lol?

Give Oud Ispahan more tries. I didn't find it simple at all, specially in base notes. I got a crazy similarity between it and Leather Oud. LO honey smell is amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Alvus View Post
    Give Oud Ispahan more tries. I didn't find it simple at all, specially in base notes. I got a crazy similarity between it and Leather Oud. LO honey smell is amazing!
    I also find them very similar. However, to me Oud Ispahan turns into a sour urinous smell in the drydown, while Leather Oud maintains its distinct smoky character balanced against leather.

I think the honey or civet is better balanced against the leather in LO whereas the rose turns sour in OI and pulls the honey/civet too far into urine territory (at least on my skin).

Do any of you find the drydown extremely similar to Black Afgano like I do and other have stated. Except the rose is there so that makes it a little different from BA. I convinced myself that I didnt care for BA but that was probably the influence of the price.
    Everyone was lamenting
    "oh another rose/oud combo...boring" but it turned out to be the favorite of many.

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Leather Oud is for sure the top #1 in the Dior Privee line. That 7.5ml should last you a while then huh lol?
    I used your reference lol , Its 125 ml actually. I don't think I will be needing Oud Ispahan, I like the top notes but the dry down is not good on my skin. LO has an amazing drydown.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    I used your reference lol , Its 125 ml actually. I don't think I will be needing Oud Ispahan, I like the top notes but the dry down is not good on my skin. LO has an amazing drydown.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I'm a big fan of Leather Oud too and it does have that Eighties/Seventies vibe. One thing though be careful wearing it when it's really hot as the civet comes alive in a way you will not expect.lol Enjoy!
    I made this mistake on a trip to the Seychelles ... LO is definitely, completely and without a doubt for cold weather.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    I wouldn't know what to do with 100 ml of LO! I'm well served for a looong time with my 10 ml decant. It is indeed a geat scent if you like your frags skanky. ..
    I agree, my decant that I have had since this was released is still going strong simply because when I wear it I only have to wear a tiny amount.

I will say this: I love real oud oil and Leather Oud is very synthetic in its use of oud. I am not saying that this is a bad thing, just that the overall texture, radiance and projection has less to do with the oud (and the skillful blending and/or quality ingredients) and more so to do with the supercharged woody aromachemicals in the base of the fragrance. I am especially sensitive to certain synthetic wood notes - they just overpower the other notes some times. In Leather Oud, as has already been mentioned several times above, they also have insane longevity - on fabric it can last +24 hours. Compared to the oud in something like...Tribute by Amouage or Oud Luban by Aftelier which have this quiet, beast-like presence which are much more close-to-the-skin and also gentler, you are able to really notice the difference.

If you love Leather Oud but perhaps (later on) you find you're burned out on the sheer strength of it, I highly suggest you explore oud oils which can be animalic, very bold, complex and equally satisfying - depending on price, quality, region etc.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

[QUOTE=LloydLlewellyn;2668183] It is indeed a geat scent if you like your frags skanky. Quote]

The skankiness of LO has a "soiled bed sheets after sex" vibe to me. It is stinky but in a very sexual/seductive way.

Anybody else get this ?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    ... The skankiness of LO has a "soiled bed sheets after sex" vibe to me. It is stinky but in a very sexual/seductive way.

Anybody else get this ?
    When I first wore it, my receptionist (who rarely comments to me on my SOTD) told me that my cologne reminded her of 'the smell of wearing her boyfriends t-shirt, after he had worn it all day'. I think she meant this in a sexual/seductive way. It definitely gives off that 'sweaty skin' vibe.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle