Code of Conduct

Default A couple questions about Bvlgari Man.

Is it at all animallic? I hear it has a big musk note in it, that is why I ask. I am not a big fan of very musky fragrances.

Could you compare it to any other designer fragrance? I have had my nose on a lot of designer fragrance, this would help me in knowing if it would be a good blind buy, or just something redundant.

I am pretty pleased with most of my Bvlgari purchases, I find them all to be fairly unique and made well.

Thanks in advanced for your answers.
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Midnight in Paris EDP (2010)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

Default Re: A couple questions about Bvlgari Man.

For me it has a nasty "synthetic" quality.

It has a "vegetal musk substitute" in it, Cypriol, aka Nagarmotha. This is not at all like Cypress despite the words looking like they come from a common root. Cypriol can best be described as "dirty vetiver". I do not perceive this note as "animal" in any way.

Not many other fragrances have ever used Cypriol, so I'm not sure you will have smelt it before. I got shot down last week for suggesting Bulgari Man had similarities with Tom Ford for Men, but the combo of Cypriol and Violet Leaf is obvious in both of them and it is how I made the connection, but it seems no one else agrees with this.

I'm not keen on heavily musky fragrances either. Bvlgari Man's musk is not very animalic. It's in the same ballpark as Voyage d'Hermes EdT, or The BodyShop's White Musk. I agree it smells a little synthetic on application but for me this aspect rapidly diminishes. The drydown is a wonderful soft woody musk, sweetened by honey; it's one of those scents that to a degree mimics human skin; I think that is as animalic as it gets.

It smells VERY similar to L'Occitane's Vetyver, imo.
    Current top 10:

1. L'Artisan Dzing!
    2. Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    3. Guerlain Bois d'Armenie
    4. L'Artisan Al Oudh
    5. Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    6. Parfumerie Generale Bois Blond
    7. Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    8. Guerlain Derby
    9. Geo F Trumper Eucris
    10. Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    I'm not keen on heavily musky fragrances either. Bvlgari Man's musk is not very animalic. It's in the same ballpark as Voyage d'Hermes EdT, or The BodyShop's White Musk. I agree it smells a little synthetic on application but for me this aspect rapidly diminishes. The drydown is a wonderful soft woody musk, sweetened by honey; it's one of those scents that to a degree mimics human skin; I think that is as animalic as it gets.
    +1

I don't find it animalic at all, just a very soft/light musk. I enjoy aspects of Bulgari Man...it smells clean, masculine, and somewhat refined. I find it to be a nice "professional" work scent, as it's unique in comparison to what most people are wearing and it's not likely to offend anyone unless you spray it like crazy. It's not my favorite of this type, as this one has crazy projection and longevity on me for some reason, and after a few hours, I grow kind of tired of it, as it becomes a bit dry and overbearing on my skin. Still, not a bad one by any means and I still like to wear it (albeit lightly) on occasion. Not sure what to compare it to for you, as I happen to find the whole "package" of Bulgari Man somewhat unique.

It's a type of musk that to me doesn't smell the slightest bit animalic; it smells chemical with a kind of unpleasant sensation that reverberates in my stomach.

I think I've settled on the fact that while people are sometimes anosmic to certain musks, there are certain ones that I smell "incorrectly." Because if everyone smelled what I smell, nobody would wear them.

I do not find it animalic in any way...This is a great clean fragrance and I love every bit of it..I have not come across anything like it so can not compare it with any..I bought it blindly and I've no regrets..in fact i won't mind buying another bottle if I come across a good deal

This fragrance gets a lot of bad feedback and I honestly don't know why. I think it smells nice and it's one of those fragrances that grows on you. I think it smells better than some of the fragrances that are praised on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Agreed. I can't wear it; it turns extremely sour on me.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

It does smell nice. However, if you've smelt enough perfumes, especially the old classics and powerhouses, you'll understand why it got a lot of bad feedback. It smells similar to all the citrus-woody fragrances that have come up recently. In short, not unique.

Quote Originally Posted by fragnifiscent View Post
    This fragrance gets a lot of bad feedback and I honestly don't know why. I think it smells nice and it's one of those fragrances that grows on you. I think it smells better than some of the fragrances that are praised on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Agree.

completely useless to me, prefer Guerlain Homme boise, similar but has more impact!
    "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" John Lydon

I have tried it since this thread was started. I have to admit, I was put off by the opening and some of the mid, but by mid mid and early base, the dry down is really great. I get a great cedar and violet combo.

I can definitley see the "sour" element. It's similar to Hypnose, Solo Loewe, and Antonio, with this sour citrus note, but I think Bvlgari Man executed it the worst, due to the pear and musk notes.. The combination of notes in the opening and beginning of the mid is pretty rank, but the dry down is rather enjoyable, and lasts a long time.
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Midnight in Paris EDP (2010)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)