Code of Conduct

Default If I dislike Le Male, will I dislike Rochas man, hanae mori, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin?

I'm really interested in trying gourmands but so far I haven't had much luck.....

I tried angel men pure malt, and there's a particular note in there that just doesn't work for me.
    Original Amen was good, it was okay. All I smelt was sandalwood and a floral aspect to it. Burnt candy. I may get this.

Not sure if Le Male is gourmand category, but I've heard people say Rochas man is similar to it, and so is Au Masculin? Is this true?

Default Re: If I dislike Le Male, will I dislike Rochas man, hanae mori, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin?

Rochas Man is a good frag and it isn't similar to Le Male at all. Check it out, see for yourself.
    Last edited by Shiny Beast; 20th August 2012 at 07:53 AM.

Default Re: If I dislike Le Male, will I dislike Rochas man, hanae mori, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin?

All 4 scents you mentioned are very different. Try them all...

There's really only one way to find out...
    Mark K

IMO no but try them to be sure.

IMO no. I used to like Rochas Man but I've never been able to appreciate the others you mentioned....

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    Rochas Man is a good frag and it isn't similar to Le Male at all.
    I agree, and this ↓↓↓ might help:

Rochas Man by Rochas - In its opening, a pleasing lavender and bergamot arouse the senses. From afar, a sweet and creamy vanilla bobs eagerly. Thankfully, the lavender remains throughout the composition to rein in the sweetness. The tantalizing vanilla does intrude on that grassy lavender, and brings its sugary sweetness to the fore, steering it to its heart. The middle beckons, stewing with its coffee, semi-sweet chocolate, cedar, and rasberry notes, as well as some, lovely jasmine and lily-of-the-valley accords. The sweet vanilla blends nicely with the heart, creating a delicious mocha cafe, with hints of wood and floral twinkling. The smooth base with its amber, sandalwood, and glimpses of patchouli, usurps the melange, softening it, and evolves into its enticing drydown. It's a well-constructed gourmand. This delightful fragrance's longevity is good; and its projection is average for the first 3 hours, then sticks to the skin.

Depends on why you dislike it. They all have vanilla (and some also lavender). I'd say HM is the one that is the furthest removed from LM. RM & LLAM are somewhat similar.

Sound Scents

I don't find Rochas Man similar to Le Male. As an aside, I dislike Le Male but like Rochas Man, so I would not jump to any conclusions there...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Le Male is minty, lavenderish, vanilla (very nice, not exactly gourmandish imo). It's not similar to the other three you named...at all..
    Rochas Man is more of a cappuccino and vanilla vibe (this is way sweeter)
    Hanae Mori is sweetened lemon
    Lolita is like licorice in a perfume bottle

Most likely, Rochas Man yes, because there is a similarity with Le Male.

I also dislike le male not because it smells bad it just dose not excite me. I think le male is more of a oriental vanila. Rm and hm in my opiniomn are gourmand don't know about llam. Rm is a safe gourmand, I like it because its a simple syrupee coffee musk scent. I don't like hm as much although it smell well made but its to sweet for me due to the iris I am guessing, to me it smells like fruit tarts.

I get why people recommend the others to the fans of one, but they are different. I love Le Male and Lolita, Rochas is pretty average, and same with Hanae for me.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Dependent

try rochas man if you dont like that try bond no9 new haarlem if you dont like that then forget gourmand lol an just buy chanel allure sports. all of which are great

Rochas Man is nice, kind of a starter gourmand, its not so heavy or loud as something like A*Men. You do have to like lavender a little since you get it permeating the fragrance to the dry down. I think its well done versus some the tackier loud gourmand fragrances out there.

I think you should try them all. I detect a similarity between Le Male and Lolita Lempicka, but they are still quite different. You might appreciate the difference. Go on a sniffing adventure at the local department store

I appreciate the femme Lolita lempicka more than the masculine, which just seems harsher to butch it up. Le Male and Lolita are totally different to me.

The four scents you mentioned really are VERY different. You could easily hate one and love another. It's like saying "If I dislike bran muffins, will I dislike pumpkin pie or chocolate ice cream? Those are such different tastes.

Here's something I STRONGLY recommend you do: Remember that fragrances are basically recipes. They're combinations of notes. Start keeping a list of which fragrances you try, and do your best to write down why you DO or DON'T like them. Even if you don't know why you dislike something, it's helpful to jot down your thoughts. Look up the frags on fragrantica. Check your list. After a while, you'll start noticing patterns.

For example, I had no idea I love violet leaf until I saw the same thing pop up on Fragrantica for three different scents I love. It was like a lightbulb turning on.

Until you learn what your own tastes are, you're shooting in the dark. The fun part of keeping track of your thoughts with a list is that you'll find out that a lot of what you THOUGHT you like or dislike will turn out to be wrong. And that's fun because it opens now doors. Once I realized I love the smell of violet leaf, it became easy to seek out other completely different scents that have violet leaf. It becomes easier to find stuff you'll love.

Le Male is an oriental typed gourmand imo. In retrospect, oriental gourmands are by far the strongest type of gourmands imo.

Rochas, H.M., and LL are all excellent fragrances, but none are really like Le Male.

The closest would be Lolita Lempicka, as it falls under the oriental gourmand genre, like Le Male. What you get with LL is a heavy dose of licorice and vanilla basically.

Rochas is a subdued gourmand, excellently blended, possibly the best balanced gourmand fragrance. What you really get is just one wave. It smells like Neapolitan ice cream, with coconut shavings, and coffee. For having such sweet notes, it doesn't yell too loud, it sits closer to the skin as it dries, and is a very simple and versatile fragrance.

H.M. is a little bit of everything. It's sweet, green, gourmand, citrusy, creamy, floral. I don't know of many fragrances like it. I would categorize it as a citrus gourmand, and place Play Intense in the same genre with it. Both of these fragrances bring sweet gourmand notes and citrus together well. H.M. is just far more complex.

Out of H.M., Rochas, and LL I would rank them:
    H.M. - Favorite of the 3
    Rochas - 2nd favorite. Versatile gourmand, something I reach for when I wanna smell sweet, but don't wanna cloud up the whole room.
    LL - Least favorite, although still nice. Used to love the stuff.. now it's just bleh. Pretty simple.. licorice to vanilla wafers, can get cloying, not suitable for Florida weather really.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I cannot tolerate Le Male, but do like Rochas Man, and very much like Hanae Mori HM. LL is a very sweet licorice scent. Don't care for it much. Prefer all three over Le Male. I would recommend Hanae Mori overall as it is a extremely pleasant, sweet lemon scent. Refreshing on a hot summer day/night.

The only 2 I have experience with are Le Male and Rochas Man. I definitely find them quite different. I really didn't care for Le Male all that much, but actually really enjoy Rochas Man. Rochas is a more "subtle" gourmand, that I find to have a very pleasant and balanced dry-down with its amber, mocha and vanilla. Some people still find it a bit sweet for their tastes, but I don't, as long as it's not over-sprayed. I find Rochas to have a bit of a "Drakkar Noir" style opening (albeit just a bit greener) due to the lavendar and citrus, but then it has a great, smooth transition into the mocha & vanilla. The wife really likes it as well, so that's an extra plus, because she has a very "picky" nose and usually doesn't like "sweet" fragrances. IMO, it's a pretty safe bet for a "gourmand." It doesn't project loudly and isn't likely to offend anyone, even in closer quarters, and it has great longevity as a skin scent after the first few hours. Great fragrance for the price, too!

Rochas Man and Le male are very different one to the other.
    Last edited by Alvus; 21st August 2012 at 03:48 AM.

To my nose

Le Male = strong vanilla-y notes dominate and just generally a slightly overpowering fragrance if more than one spray is used
    Lolita Lempicka = anise/liquorice note dominate

I don't find them similar apart from the fact that I would classify them as both 'sweet smelling' and unisex.

Like many others have said, you'll just have to try them. To me, they were all very different, but only LLauM did I like.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265