Code of Conduct

Default Chocolate based Fragrance: I need help!

Hello basenoters!

This is my first time here in the DIY forum. Reading the topics here has made me want to do a fragrance for myself (Yes, I've read the Primer).

I'll try to make a fragrance with the following essential oils: Chocolate, Sandalwood, Vanilla and Musk.

I've never made any fragrances before. How long would a fragrance like this last on me?
    Any tips for a starter?
    Last edited by Rod; 20th August 2012 at 08:24 PM.

Default Re: Chocolate based Fragrance: I need help!

I'm pretty sure it's a base note. I've never tried to make a chocolate based fragrance myself though. I feel like it would be a tricky note to work with. I know it blends well with patchouli! (that combination is a major part of Angel if you like Angel at all)

Thanks Lauren, I'll try to mix it with patchouli too.
    Also, how can I make a chocolate scent last longer with a powerful chocolate base? (Sort of like Angel Men)

I think it will actually last pretty long on its own if you use the ingredients you've mentioned because they're all base notes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Hello basenoters!

This is my first time here in the DIY forum. Reading the topics here has made me want to do a fragrance for myself (Yes, I've read the Primer).

I'll try to make a fragrance with the following essential oils: Chocolate, Sandalwood, Vanilla and Musk.

I've never made any fragrances before. How long would a fragrance like this last on me?
    Any tips for a starter?
    I should have picked up on this earlier - sorry - but you need to know that there isn't an essential oil of chocolate or musk and essential oil of vanilla is incredibly rare (though it does exist).

I think what you have are in fact fragrance oils, not essential oils: that is to say they are blends of aroma chemicals made by someone else to imitate those scents. They may be more or less powerful depending on what they were intended for and may include top and middle notes as well as base notes.

There is an absolute of cocoa available, but that is solid at room temperature and very powerful smelling.

To advise you properly we really need to know exactly what it is you are using.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Im happy to quote: if you want free advice, thats what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Thank you very much, Chris! I'll go to the chemicals shop and ask what kind of oils they sell. Then I'll report back here

You can make a tincture of chocolate, but it isn't terribly strong. Well mine isn't anyway. I can't imagine needing much of it unless you are a chocoholic.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    You can make a tincture of chocolate, but it isn't terribly strong. Well mine isn't anyway. I can't imagine needing much of it unless you are a chocoholic.
    Well, I am a little bit chocoholic
    But what I wanted to do is a fragrance with a chocolate base similar to A*Men...a super strong chocolate base (ooh that chocolate note).

I imagine that A*Men must have a lot of other components (synthetics and naturals) to form its chocolate note besides cocoa absolute(if it has cocoa absolute).

Does anybody know how to make a chocolate note like that?
    Chris, I read in another thread about your creation(Tuesdays). Did your chocolate note turned out to be similar to A*Mens?

PS.: I still need to go to the chemicals shop...Im a little out of time lately

Basenotes Member

Try to start here:
    http://www.perfumersapprentice.com/p...te_accord.html

I am afraid a standard chemicals shop nearby will not be able to help you, unless they are specialized to fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Well, I am a little bit chocoholic
    But what I wanted to do is a fragrance with a chocolate base similar to A*Men...a super strong chocolate base (ooh that chocolate note).

I imagine that A*Men must have a lot of other components (synthetics and naturals) to form its chocolate note besides cocoa absolute(if it has cocoa absolute).

Does anybody know how to make a chocolate note like that?
    Chris, I read in another thread about your creation(Tuesdays). Did your chocolate note turned out to be similar to A*Mens?

PS.: I still need to go to the chemicals shop...Im a little out of time lately
    The chocolate note in Tuesdays is of bitter chocolate - you'd need to sweeten it with ethyl maltol, methyl laitone and more vanilla to get to something more like the one in A*Men.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Im happy to quote: if you want free advice, thats what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.