Code of Conduct
    Sur la Plage

Default New Fragrance: Frapin Speakeasy

From fragrantica.com:

The house of Frapin, known for their fine cognacs as well as their remarkable fragrance collection, debuted their newest fragrance, Speakeasy, at the Elements Showcase in New York. Speakeasy was inspired by the illicit nightclubs of Prohibition-era America, known for their decadence and joyful excess. This unisex fagrance also recalls classic men's fragrances with traditional notes of leather and tobacco. Supporting the mix are mint, musk, bergamot and styrax.

The fragrance will be on the market from September 2012, in the characteristic 3.3 oz. Frapin flacon.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default Re: New Fragrance: Frapin Speakeasy

Thanks for the heads up Joe, gotta say it has some of my favorite notes. I'm going to have to sample this one.

Banned

Interesting, eager to see how this plays out.
    Thanks for the heads up.

Going by past offerings, I'm sure Frapin will do this well.

Basenotes Member

Does anyone know when Frapin started writing "Eau de Parfum" under the title, on their bottles, instead of "Frapin & Co."?

Have tried all the previous Frapins but never purchased one -- not sure why. This sounds as though it will have a boozy element to it also. I'm sure they drop some cognac in each bottle.

Sounds interesting. Will be adding this one to my collection.

Thanks for the tip...leather and mint...could be interesting...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Thanks for sharing, since, if it does have one or more boozy notes in it, I am likely to happily try this one.

Definitely on the sample list.

I already want to own this! I hope the longevity is fair as Frapin's have such poor longevity and sillage on my skin.

Excited to try this.
    I never say no to styrax.

for swap/sale:

tried it yesterday in Paris, I wanna took Speakeasy home right away but unluckily, it will be release in the end of October. Speakeasy is quite strong and boozy in traditional Frapin style at first, then it gets lighter, drier with leather and tobacco. Not a very complicated scent, Speakeasy is quite manly and playful. It smells like rum and cigar. Longervity and sillage are quite enjoyable, more than 7hours on my skin.

Thanks for your thoughs, Chocolateguy. Those notes makes me think that this fragrance can be enjoyable for me.
    - A lot of people thinks that they live when the only thing they do is simply exist.

Sounds like Ambre Ruse. Nah, it could never be as good as that.

Sounds good, gotta check it out!

Has anyone seen this available for purchase yet in the States?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Has anyone seen this available for purchase yet in the States?
    I haven't seen it yet. First in Fragrance is now showing it in-stock.

About a week ago, when speaking with Alejandro at MiN, he was not sure when it was due to arrive.

My point of view for Frapin Speakeasy (and also O.Durbano Heliotrope and Clive Christian V for Men)

enjoy!!

http://chemistinthebottle.wordpress....sniffs-part-4/

Lucasai, thanks for that link. Makes me want to try the frapin and the Heliotrope. For comparison's sake, the 1270 and Caravelle Epicee are medium projection and medium longevity to me. How would Heliotrop and Speakeasy compare to these two on longevity and projection. From the sound of it, the Heliotrope would last longer and be as projecting if not more.

Never have had a mojito but the opening of the other Frapins is lotsa booze note, but it dissipates after a 30 minute. Guess the Speakeasy is the same?

Leather and tobacco? So far no releases in the U.S.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Institution

This scent was done by the owner/perfumer of the Parfums d'Empire line, Marc-Antoine Corticchiato)...interesting.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by lucasai View Post
    My point of view for Frapin Speakeasy
    Thanks for the write up on this.

Hopefully the mint note doesn't manifest toothpaste. That's a deal-breaker for me.

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    Hopefully the mint note doesn't manifest toothpaste. That's a deal-breaker for me.
    It's totally not similar to toothpase! Mint is crisp and lightly herbal, just like in mojito.

Sounds very nice. Is this any longer-lasting than other Frapins? I found all except Passion Boisee short-lived.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Sounds very nice. Is this any longer-lasting than other Frapins? I found all except Passion Boisee short-lived.
    On me it lasted around 5 hours when I applies lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by lucasai View Post
    On me it lasted around 5 hours when I applies lightly.
    Thanks. I'll get a sample and spray heavily!

Thanks. I'll get a sample and spray heavily!
    Good luck!

Just to update thread, this one didn't work out for me; too faint and short-lived despite generous dosing. A decent smell while it lasted though.

Basenotes Plus

Just to update thread, this one didn't work out for me; too faint and short-lived despite generous dosing. A decent smell while it lasted though.
    Disappointing to hear. I had high hopes for this one.

Anyone feel like provide updates and thoughts? I'm curious about what this smells like

Today I received my sample. It's about the warmest scent of the several hundred ones I've come across ever. There's nothing in it one couldn't like. Cozy, manly, boozy with hints of cigar, rum, with a drop of bitterness to give it just a little kick. My only regret is, exactly as it was with their recent releases: I feel a kind of 'hole' in the composition. I'm afraid I can't express correctly: it lacks presence, body, something one would say this IS it. As it's drying down, sniffing it regularly I must say it's really pleasant, perhaps it'll convince me.

I received my bottle this morning from Luckyscent which I bought blind. Wonderful and boozy.

I own and love 1270 and 1697. I'm sort of ok with L'Humaniste and Terre de Sarment. Passion Boisse and Caravelle Epicee are just not for me.

I'm hoping that Speakeasy bears more resemblance to the former, so it's a must try for me.
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrich View Post
    I own and love 1270 and 1697. I'm sort of ok with L'Humaniste and Terre de Sarment. Passion Boisse and Caravelle Epicee are just not for me.

I'm hoping that Speakeasy bears more resemblance to the former, so it's a must try for me.
    I think it's rather close to 1270 - closer than to any other of the Frapin line.

Thanks Sandy!

Sounds right up my street.
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

Wearing a sample of it today. As others have mentioned projection and longevity are pretty tame. That is my skin so your application may vary.

Well, it's not my scent. I applied it in the morning and by early afternoon it turned into something unpleasant bitterness on my skin which I had to wash off. Perhaps the immortelle, perhaps something else, but it surely will not be a bottle for me.

Agree on the 1270 resemblance and lots of booze again for sure.
    The mint is rather faint and overall it's that nice sweetish winter gem some maybe looking for.
    For a minute I was considering it but then decided I still like 1270 better and even grew bored of that one.
    Smellin good

For me, Speakeasy would be my favorite fragrance of 2012 if it lasted longer and had better longevity \ projection.
    Even with that being said, I still love it...just have to re-apply after 3-4 hrs.
    Smells *amazing* - It's like Mojito in a parfum in the beginning, but the mint is not overbearing, and then it rolls into a kind of TM Pure Havanne theme with honeye'd tobacco / rum.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    For me, Speakeasy would be my favorite fragrance of 2012 if it lasted longer and had better longevity \ projection.
    Even with that being said, I still love it...just have to re-apply after 3-4 hrs.
    Smells *amazing* - It's like Mojito in a parfum in the beginning, but the mint is not overbearing, and then it rolls into a kind of TM Pure Havanne theme with honeye'd tobacco / rum.
    I haven't smelled Speakeasy yet, but the Frapin's I've smelled don't project or last very long. Really inexcusable for something that costs $150 and the reason I won't buy from this house.
    Summer 2014 favorites

1. Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (orange)
    2. Dueto Citiver (Vetiver)
    3. Dior Homme Sport 2012 (Citron)
    4. Lalique Encre Noire Sport (Woody)
    5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)
    6.Chanel Allure Edition Blanche (Lemon)

7. Cartier Roadster (Mint)
    8. Joop Splash (Fruity)
    9. Lanvin L'homme Sport (Petitgrain))
    10. Jesus Del Pozo Adventure Quasar (Gin)

I know many there are many factors to consider, but Speakeasy just has an incredible smell. Boozy smell at first and a subtle sweet warmth creeps up making it an overall delight. Although it does last 3 - 4 hours and the projection could be better, I hugged my friend and she didn't want to let go!