Code of Conduct

Thread: Frustration...

Default Frustration...

Hey...I am starting to grow frustrated with this cologne stuff. My issue is this, generally speaking my skin soaks up cologne. Niche or Designer I generally feel like 3-4 hours and scents are gone. While this is ok if I am on a date this is very frustrating trying to find a work scent or a daily use scent, as I need it to last 7+ hours. I feel like why invest $200+ in a fragrance that only last 3-4 hrs...might as well just buy designer as they are easier to test and purchase and return if need be. So far the only House that I can consistently count on for good longevity and projection is Montale however most of there scents are heavier and tend to be more cooler weather friendly. TF Oud Wood lived on my skin, TF for Men, TdH, Creeds, all short lived. Actually my best performing fragrance is YSL La Nuit, Bond Chez Bond ($80). I plan on buying Montale Black Aoud as I have sampled this and I feel good projection and good longevity from this. Montale Woods and Spices is another beast on my skin and Montale Blue Amber is ok.

Anything else out there you guys can strongly recommend as a daily (signature scent) with good projection and longevity. Doesnt have to be niche since it will be for daily use.

If I cant find anything really special that becomes my Holy Grail I will just concede to the best designer stuff that can be had for a lower price point and much easier to sample.

Thanks.

Default Re: Frustration...

Montale Santal Wood perhaps

Sur la Plage

Terre d'Hermes
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Buy some small 10-20ml atomizers and decant some of your juice into them. Then just freshen up every 3-4 hours or whenever you feel appropriate. Also, try moisturizing the areas where you spray.

As for suggestions, try A*men and its flankers, New Haarlem, Dior Homme Intense, and delve into some other gourmands for lasting power. Btw, just because you can't smell it doesn't mean it's still not there. I put on MI and couldn't smell it on me past 2-3 hours; started talking to some girl and she said I smelled amazing (was withing 5 feet of her). Couldn't get a single wiff of it though.

My skin also tends to eat perfumes. Montale certainly outperforms in terms of longevity. For something fresh, Sycomore lasts very well on me, though it seems not to do so for others; and even Vetiver extraordinaire does well on me. Many other Malles are long lasting, for instance, Portrait of a lady.

One trick I use to extend longevity is to spray my shirt. Perfumes on clothes last a long time.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

^^^^ You type quicker that I do.

My skin tends to eat up fragrances as well. This is why I give my shirt a spray or two in the morning and less on my body.

I had the same problem too. I've a very dry skin so regular designers used to last 2-3 hours on my skin...most of them really got close to my skin after an hour or so, until i started moisturizing my skin properly before applying the fragrance and that was it. I always spray my shirt too, and it lasts all day.....

Here are some fragrance that have extraordinarily great lasting power IMO........
    Chrome Legend
    L'eau d'Issey
    One Million (quiet popular but great lasting power)
    A*Men
    Euphoria intense
    Givenchy Play intense
    YSL L'homme Libre
    Le Male
    Boss Orange Man (Mixed reviews on this one but works wonders for me)
    L'Instant De Guerlain Homme extreme (EDP)

..............hope these help.

Thankfully I have greasy Dago skin. Have you tried Versace Pour Homme? A lot of people I know that usually get bad logevity out of colognes get good longevity out of that and it is a nice spring/summer work scent.

Fleur du Male is one of the few that I get any real longevity out of.
    Mark K

If you want you scent to last all day buy the body wash of the same scent, It not only helps you project better, it makes your scent last way longer too.

I put a thin layer of argan oil on my wrists and then spray...seems to really hold fragrance, and it's not greasy if you apply a small amount.

1) I would recommend the purchase of an atomizer and carrying that with you if you cannot get the longevity you want. I wouldn't settle for a fragrance you didn't like just because it had the longevity you needed.

2) I would recommend you use an unscented moisturizer and apply where you normally apply your fragrance. This will help prevent you skin from eating it up.

3) I would recommend you ask people around you if they can smell it. Just because you can't smell it anymore, doesn't always mean it is gone. You could be suffering from Olfactory Fatigue.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Terre d'Hermes
    Yes, great fresh scent with amazing sillage and longevity.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

What about perfume oil?

I know your frustration, my skin also eats up scents.

Not sure what your tastes are, but check these out for pretty good longevity/projection:

YSL: Rive Gauche pour Homme, M7
    Chanel: Egoiste, Bleu de Chanel, Antaeus
    Tom Ford: Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, and Amber Absolute are all pretty strong (Oud Wood is good but wears lighter)
    Freder Malle: Carnal Flower, Musc Ravageur, Portrait of a Lady, Noir Epices
    Kilian: Back to Black, A Taste of Heaven
    Bond No. 9: New York Oud, New York Amber, New Haarlem, many others
    MFK: Absoloue pour le Soir, Aqua Universalis Forte (this would be good for a daily scent)
    Slumberhouse: Lots of strong scents, such as Vikt, Norne, Rume, Jeke
    Sonoma Scent Studio: Tabac Aurea (haven't tried others, but the concentration of the line is high)
    Tauer: L'Air du Desert Marocain

Quote Originally Posted by chopwet View Post
    What about perfume oil?
    In general, I don't think oils project very well.

Suggest L'Occitane's Eau des Baux - the longest lasting thing I've ever sprayed on myself, and don't spray immediately after showering.

I found that spraying my shirt helps.
    There's a good chance that others still smell it on you, but your nose becomes accustomed to the scent after some time.

YSL La Nuit De L'Homme lasts quite awhile on me. Pure Malt projects for a long period of time as well.

I think it's a good idea to carry a sample vial with you anyway. They even have some neat sample vial holders in case you are afraid of accidentally causing it to spill out in your pocket.

The clothes trick works well too.

To tell you the truth, 4 hours for a scent is good for me. I can either re-spray or use a different scent afterward.

Hey...i thank everyone for there replies. All were great ideas. I like the notion of a travel atomizer and in some cases the scented lotion.

Some really great fragrance suggestions were given and i will def take a look at some of these. The only reservation i have is most of the fragrance suggestions given were heavier scents typically worn in the evening or in the cooler parts of the year. What would you recommend i can wear during the day/all year round ...given my plight. I have TdH and the longevity is ok however sillage is just about average in my opinion. This is the closest i have to a daily driver...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    1) I would recommend the purchase of an atomizer and carrying that with you if you cannot get the longevity you want. I wouldn't settle for a fragrance you didn't like just because it had the longevity you needed.

2) I would recommend you use an unscented moisturizer and apply where you normally apply your fragrance. This will help prevent you skin from eating it up.

3) I would recommend you ask people around you if they can smell it. Just because you can't smell it anymore, doesn't always mean it is gone. You could be suffering from Olfactory Fatigue.
    This ^^^^^
    Very sound advice indeed.

...and +1 on Terre d' Hermes. A very inoffensive scent that works great in an office.

Rive Gauche Intense

Quote Originally Posted by catlettsl View Post
    Hey...I am starting to grow frustrated with this cologne stuff. My issue is this, generally speaking my skin soaks up cologne. Niche or Designer I generally feel like 3-4 hours and scents are gone. While this is ok if I am on a date this is very frustrating trying to find a work scent or a daily use scent, as I need it to last 7+ hours. I feel like why invest $200+ in a fragrance that only last 3-4 hrs...might as well just buy designer as they are easier to test and purchase and return if need be. So far the only House that I can consistently count on for good longevity and projection is Montale however most of there scents are heavier and tend to be more cooler weather friendly. TF Oud Wood lived on my skin, TF for Men, TdH, Creeds, all short lived. Actually my best performing fragrance is YSL La Nuit, Bond Chez Bond ($80). I plan on buying Montale Black Aoud as I have sampled this and I feel good projection and good longevity from this. Montale Woods and Spices is another beast on my skin and Montale Blue Amber is ok.

Anything else out there you guys can strongly recommend as a daily (signature scent) with good projection and longevity. Doesnt have to be niche since it will be for daily use.

If I cant find anything really special that becomes my Holy Grail I will just concede to the best designer stuff that can be had for a lower price point and much easier to sample.

Thanks.
    I can relate to your problem. I have the same issues. It really isn't a niche or designer issue. Both have poor or great longevvity depending on the particular scents. I'll list a couple here that I personnaly get all day scent from.

Puredistance M - Has become my signature scent - the off days are for sampling new ones.
    Richwood, Homme, & Al Khatt by Xerjoff
    Absolue pour le soir by MFK
    Cuirelle by Ramon Monegal - This one is absolutley outstanding - might even kick "M" over a couple times a week for a wearing.

Black Oud and Santal de Mysore by Montale
    Leather Oud and Oud Ispahan by Dior
    Homage,Tribute, and Epic Extrait Woman by Amouage
    Aventus by Creed
    C & S #88
    #1 for Men by Clive Christian
    Yatagan by Caron
    A Men

Carrying atomisers around with two hour lasting scent is a total pain in the ass. Just get the ones that last, and screw the others.
    Last edited by thebeck; 22nd August 2012 at 12:44 PM.

Another vote for Chanel Antaeus, A*Men & Paco Rabanne 1 Million.
    I'd also recommend Davidoff Zino, A*Men Taste of Fragrance, Gucci PH I and some fresh scents like Versace Man Eau Fraiche and C. Herrera 212 (both are performing very good on me, disregarding the season).
    As for others 'normal' projecting fragrances, a good hydration of the body (preferably non-carbonated water) and some help from unscented skin lotions are always near at hand not to mention they are really helpful.
    "I love fragrances because they provide a sheer endless variety: there is a scent for every occasion, mood or feeling. Standing before my collection in the morning matching a perfume to my needs is one of the most enjoyable things in my day". I don't want to miss that

Current Top 12 Spring: | Chanel Allure Blanche | Guerlain Homme Intense |
    Dior Fahrenheit | Givenchy pour Homme | Carolina Herrera for Men | Narciso Rodriguez Him | T. Mugler A*Men Sunessence | Trussardi Inside | C. Herrera Chic | Azzaro PH | M. Kors Michael for Men | Pal Zileri Sartoriale |

Banned
    Blog Entries

Thanks.
    3-4 hrs longevity is not a big problems. i just carry an atomizer with me an i'm fine.

we are all different: la nuit doesnt last too long on me, but tdh can get me through hannakuh

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry but 3-4 hours of longevity is a problem for me. Fragrances should all be manufactured to last 6-8 hours. When I began wearing fragrances, early 80's, I remember that colognes/edt/edp's lasted longer. I would not have to walk with an atomizer in my pocket like I must do today. The fragrance industry is taking us for fools by mass producing inferior products and investing more of the money into promoting the fragrance. It should be the reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    I'm sorry but 3-4 hours of longevity is a problem for me. Fragrances should all be manufactured to last 6-8 hours. When I began wearing fragrances, early 80's, I remember that colognes/edt/edp's lasted longer. I would not have to walk with an atomizer in my pocket like I must do today. The fragrance industry is taking us for fools by mass producing inferior products and investing more of the money into promoting the fragrance. It should be the reverse.
    Interesting. I find it to be the exact opposite. Years ago, most mens fragrances were colognes. Now EDTs are the norm. More and more, men's fragrances are EDP strength. With the introduction of synthetics, they now have a better shelf-life, and I find they last longer than ever.

Sure it is different for each individual, but if they did a test of the longest lasting fragrances of all time, I would bet modern fragrances would clean up. Yes, 3-4 hours is not very good. With the exception of some very light summer fragrances, almost all of mine get well over 6 hours.

As far as mass producing inferior products... I think 90 of my top 100 fragrances have been created in the last 10-12 years.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Hey...i thank everyone for there replies. All were great ideas. I like the notion of a travel atomizer and in some cases the scented lotion.

Some really great fragrance suggestions were given and i will def take a look at some of these. The only reservation i have is most of the fragrance suggestions given were heavier scents typically worn in the evening or in the cooler parts of the year. What would you recommend i can wear during the day/all year round ...given my plight. I have TdH and the longevity is ok however sillage is just about average in my opinion. This is the closest i have to a daily driver...

Daytime wear.... look at Azzaro Chrome Legend (Citrussy, masculine, great smell....monger sillage projection and longevity)

Absolutely agree!

I will check on the Chrome Legend.

Are there any Montale fragrances other than BA that can be worn daily. I think i read somewhere there is one that reminds folks of Millesime Imperial.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    My skin tends to eat up fragrances as well. This is why I give my shirt a spray or two in the morning and less on my body.
    THIS.

I had a girlfriend who couldn't wear scents on her body at all. They'd disappear in under and hour. It was crazy how nothing lasted! Instead of wasting fragrances on her body, she sprayed her hair and her clothes. She didn't even bother spraying her body since they'd disappear in an hour. Actually, I dated another woman years later who had the same problem. I told her about spraying her clothes instead, but she couldn't get past the idea that she thought she was supposed to spray her body. So, she'd tear through bottle after bottle of expensive stuff that nobody smelled on her because it wore off almost instantly.

TIP: Make sure you don't pick frags that will stain your shirt. I wish they would use colored glass for the bottles instead of adding dyes to color the juice. Bottles don't stain clothes. Dyes do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    3-4 hrs longevity is not a big problems. i just carry an atomizer with me an i'm fine.
    Reapplying every few hours means going back to the top notes instead of getting to enjoy the mids and base notes. Surely you've had dates that last longer than 3 or 4 hours, right? If all I get from a frag is top notes for a few hours and then nothing, I'd be crazy to waste even $20 on buying it.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 22nd August 2012 at 06:08 PM.

Provided you've made sure you do not suffer from nose fatigue (have you checked with co-workers etc.) I suggest the Mazzolari line - hard core stuff, especially Lui; Also Musc Ravageur by Malle, most of the older Lutens and of course numerous designer dreadnoughts from the 80s.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Banned

I concur, and try:

L'Essence de Cerruti by Cerruti - One is initially treated to an invigorating bergamot, with its orangey bittersweetness and peppery facets. The freshness of the bergamot commingles with the compost-like and ever-so-slight barnyard aspects of white pepper. Segueing to the middle, the mintiness of birch encases the fresh opening, and infuses its wintergreen sweetness. A raw and somewhat phenolic leather wafts in the background along with the hay-like character of saffron. Transitioning to the comforting base, a creamy cedar infuses its resinous and camphoraceous woodiness, along with the sweetly vanillic and faintly earthy quality of amber. A sensual, fur/skin-like and warm musk also presents. An alluring drydown ensues. This masculine composition is well blended, and has good longevity, 8+ hours, and average projection, being light enough for an office scent. Given its very reasonable, price point, this versatile and somewhat elegant composition is worthy of purchase.

I suggest one niche line -Mazzolari

and one designer's-Jacques Bogart

I too understand your frustration as my skin soaks up fragrances and it drives me crazy. It has taken me a while to work out how much I need from each fragrance I own. The Goodlife above makes a good point- do check with a partner or friends and family as you might have nose fatigue.

The following stay on my skin well-

Yatagan
    Back to Black
    Dior Homme Intense
    Trussardi Inside Man

These are just a few. You will have to find what works for your chemistry. Good luck!
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

^^^
    Hi,koala!

There are at least three variants of Yatagan.

I'd like to know exactly which one you are referring to?

Lol...well Blaco Aoud def LASTS AND PROJECTS on me.
    True Story: last night at 1045pm i applied a few dabs on my neck and hand. I love the rose in the frag and just wanted to enjoy. I was at work and wasnt getting of until 3am. I arrived home at 3:30 am and got in bed with the girlfriend. She immediately sat up and yelled...wtf is going on. You come in here smelling like cologne and you expect me to believe you were at work. She stormed out the bedroom...and didnt speak when she left for work this morning. Lol. Crazy chick.

Def Full Bottle Worthy!!!!