Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Goutal-o-rama

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Goutal-o-rama

The dog days of summer are almost over, but Iíve still been reaching for some fragrances that feel summery to me, while being sort of refreshing. Quite often, it is something by Annick Goutal!

Would anyone be interested in doing a sample pass of some Goutals that fit this bill? Iím thinking of including:

Citrusy: Eau díHadrien, Les Nuits díHadrien, Eau du Sud

Refreshing florals + greens: Eau de Camille, Un Matin díOrage, Folavril

Summertime flowers: Songes, Passion, Gardenia Passion

Please post here if youíd like to join the sniff. Iíve had so much fun with sample passes recently, and I hope this might bring some bit of enjoyment to others!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Goutal-o-rama

Can I join you? I can add a few vials myself including Le Muguet, Neroli, Chevrefeuille, and the one that just arrived today...Rose Splendide?

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Hey CN. Gosh, I haven't tried a lot of Goutals..maybe 5, but none of which you have posted up there. I think I liked 1 out of 5. Lol. It was the sample you included once, Eau De Charlotte. I'll try some more Goutals..if there is a spot for me.
    "Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom." "It is honorable for a man to stop striving, Since any fool can start a quarrel." Proverbs.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I can add Grand Amour it might be a bit on the heavy side 'tho.
    "MomÖ.now the kitten smells like Chamade!"

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to join too CN! I am not that fancy with descriptions but I know it will be another warm and cozy pass around. I haven't tried ANY of Goutals other than Sables contributed by One-Who-Hosted-Fruity-Pass-Who-Can't-Be-Named. I can include it too is it was a very generous sample.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it too late for me too??? I can contribute Songe & Passion. Would love to try the others!

Post Thanks / Like

If there is a spot, I'm happy to join. No problem otherwise.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurine View Post
    Can I join you? I can add a few vials myself including Le Muguet, Neroli, Chevrefeuille, and the one that just arrived today...Rose Splendide?
    Yay! Thank you for joining! Welcome! Thank you for offering more samples, too!!! That is so sweet and generous of you. It sounds like we should add a "Soliflore" category too! I have Le Mimosa that I can add to our new category as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Hey CN. Gosh, I haven't tried a lot of Goutals..maybe 5, but none of which you have posted up there. I think I liked 1 out of 5. Lol. It was the sample you included once, Eau De Charlotte. I'll try some more Goutals..if there is a spot for me.
    Of course you are welcome too, Kalli! I hope you'll find some more Goutals to like! I went on a floral kick recently, and I do appreciate them in that genre, though some I do wear a lot more than others. If I recall correctly, it was the mint and rootbeer notes that were yukky for you, right? If so, I think you'll mostly be safe from those here.

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    I can add Grand Amour it might be a bit on the heavy side 'tho.
    Thank you for joining too! Grand Amour *is* very nice! I do have a decant of that as well, and it is FBW for sure! Thank you for offering-- so kind and generous too! The Goutal website calls it an "Intense Floral," along with Songes, and the Passions, so it fits right in. The website also includes Heure Exquise, which is a fave, too, so I'm going to add that to the mix as well! The more the merrier!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefluffy View Post
    I would love to join too CN! I am not that fancy with descriptions but I know it will be another warm and cozy pass around. I haven't tried ANY of Goutals other than Sables contributed by One-Who-Hosted-Fruity-Pass-Who-Can't-Be-Named. I can include it too is it was a very generous sample.
    Welcome, Whitefluffy! I'm so glad that you are joining too!!! I *always* love reading your descriptions and observations! You added so much to the fruity pass! Even your one-liner quickie descriptions of the Rosines were excellent and succinct and perfect! It would take me *hours* to be so precise and in so few words! Thank you for offering your Sables sample! That is so generous! I may take you up on the offer! A very kind and generous gentleman has also offered to contribute, so we shall see what works out best for everyone. I have never tried Sables for some reason...

Quote Originally Posted by Genie Jeanie View Post
    Is it too late for me too??? I can contribute Songe & Passion. Would love to try the others!
    Not too late at all!!! Welcome aboard! We have Songes and Passion already in the mix, but that is so sweet and generous of you to offer to share! It will be great to hear your thoughts on those, as frequent wearings might give different insights as opposed to a sampling. Thanks for joining the fun!

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    If there is a spot, I'm happy to join. No problem otherwise.

cacio
    Of course there is a spot for you!!! Thank you for joining in! So nice to have you-- I'm so pleased.

*** Although I am new at this, from what input I've seen about group size, it seems like we can accommodate perhaps 7-8 people with a 2 ml vial. I bugged PerfumedLady previously with questions on sample pass logistics and about this pass particularly, so I'm also going to tentatively hold a slot for her too, as she is having computer problems right now and may not be able to log on very readily. After harassing her so much, it would be a travesty not to, lol! I hope everyone agrees! That leaves one iffy spot, but given that some folks have a variety of different Goutals that they are contributing from their collections or have already, those will be less sampled, I am guessing? So with all that said and on the table, anyone else?

So as it stands, we have:

1. Fleurine
    2. Kalli
    3. RHM
    4. Whitefluffy
    5. Genie Jeanie
    6. Cacio
    7. PerfumedLady

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for putting this together for us cestrum nocturnum! I'm so excited about this!! I love the few AG scents I've had the opportunity to try/own & I can't wait to learn more about this house. Please let me know if I can assist in any way, ok?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't need to participate. My wife and I have extensively sniffed this house, and we've picked over all the ones that we love.

But I just have to say - the title of this thread is wonderful. It should be, like...

Goutal-o-ramaģ

Yaay! You'll be having a nice sample pass. I already had a chance to try quite many of them, apart from the Soliflores and those more feminine ones.

But I love Eau d'Hadrien, Ninfeo Mio, Nuit Etoilee, they're so lovely!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I find Des Lys summery and refreshing-- I am wearing it today! It's discontinued, but now and then there are bottles on eBay.

I can contribute a sample/small decant if you like-- let me know if you prefer a spray or glass vials, and is it 2 mls that you've settled on? (I've smelled them all and don't wish to join the group.)

Le Chevrefeuille is a gorgeous Annick Goutal scent for summer!

Sorry, I don't have anything to contribute. I did have several Quel Amour vials but have long since given them away. And yes, it was the mint in that one and a few other Anns I didn't like. Good memory CN! I didn't mind root beer as it seems to be a sign of myrrh or vanilla I guess. I like root beer. Thanks for doing this pass, very awesome of you.
    "Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom." "It is honorable for a man to stop striving, Since any fool can start a quarrel." Proverbs.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A thought: Several of the ones listed have been significantly reformulated and it might be useful to people to know whether they are testing the current version or an earlier one.

The formulation of Le Muguet being sold now is very different from the earlier one. It used to be highly realistic but a bit stuffy; now it's quite grassy and a bit more lemony in its top notes.

Eau d'Hadrien is also significantly more lemony in its current version, but the drydown is weaker since oakmoss was restricted.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 23rd August 2012 at 03:12 AM.

Why is oakmoss being restricted? That's a bummer, seems like a lot of things are being restricted.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much, cn! Yes, would love a spot but don' t mind being bumped if you have more interest than juice. You know what a sampling group piggie I am. It's because I love sniffing with you all so much more than on my own!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Kalli,

Big Brother thinks it has to protect us all because some people develop sensitivities.

This is why muguet scents don't smell right any more, too-- there are restrictions in how much hydroxycitronellol and Lyral can be used; these create the impression of lily of the valley.

I am sensitive to Big Brother.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for putting this together for us cestrum nocturnum! I'm so excited about this!! I love the few AG scents I've had the opportunity to try/own & I can't wait to learn more about this house. Please let me know if I can assist in any way, ok?
    Thank you for joining!!! I love sample passes-- so much fun! I hope you'll have a ball too!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I don't need to participate. My wife and I have extensively sniffed this house, and we've picked over all the ones that we love.

But I just have to say - the title of this thread is wonderful. It should be, like...

Goutal-o-ramaģ
    LOL!!! Thank you for your support! Love the graphic-- I wish we could use that for the title and be really fancy! lol

Quote Originally Posted by lucasai View Post
    Yaay! You'll be having a nice sample pass. I already had a chance to try quite many of them, apart from the Soliflores and those more feminine ones.

But I love Eau d'Hadrien, Ninfeo Mio, Nuit Etoilee, they're so lovely!
    Feel free to jump on in with comments! Also, there will likely be enough for another sniffier... people seem super considerate in conserving samples. I can send them along to you after PL finishes with them.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I find Des Lys summery and refreshing-- I am wearing it today! It's discontinued, but now and then there are bottles on eBay.

I can contribute a sample/small decant if you like-- let me know if you prefer a spray or glass vials, and is it 2 mls that you've settled on? (I've smelled them all and don't wish to join the group.)
    Oh, Des Lys! I have been eyeing a used bottle on ebay, but it is a bit pricey for me to make a blind buy in that range right now. It would be delightful to add that to the mix. Thank you so much for offering! That is so kind and generous! Whatever you can share is wonderful. I am sure people will take care to conserve and share. BNers are such considerate folks! I decided to go with 2ml vials, as it seems the consensus on different threads indicates that they last longer and go further for the passes? I do have atomizers that I can use too... What is your opinion on vials vs sprays? I haven't decanted yet, so I could still do a spray.

And yes, it was the mint in that one and a few other Anns I didn't like. Good memory CN! I didn't mind root beer as it seems to be a sign of myrrh or vanilla I guess. I like root beer. Thanks for doing this pass, very awesome of you.
    Lol, guess my memory wasn't so good afterall! I like rootbeer too.

A thought: Several of the ones listed have been significantly reformulated ad it might be useful to people to know whether they are testing the current version or an earlier one.

The formulation of Le Muguet being sold now is very different from the earlier one. It used to be highly realistic but a bit stuffy; now it's quite grassy and a bit more lemony in its top notes.

Eau d'Hadrien is also significantly more lemony in its current version, but the drydown is weaker since oakmoss was restricted.
    Ah, yes. <sigh> I wish I had been more into perfumes and bought these before the reformulations! These are all current, very likely reformulated versions, in EDT, so nothing fancy or super special. I think 30Roses rare Des Lys shall be the Queen of the Pass! I'll see if I can plug in the serial numbers on cosmetic check or something and see for sure, but I have a feeling everything I have is new product.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    Thank you so much, cn! Yes, would love a spot but don' t mind being bumped if you have more interest than juice. You know what a sampling group piggie I am. It's because I love sniffing with you all so much more than on my own!
    No, no. In fact, based on what I've seen with the other sample passes, I do believe we shall have enough of most of them to fully accommodate another sniffer. I just wanted to make sure to mention that some may run low for the 8th, as yet non-existent sniffer. You know, I just have that need to qualify statements and make general-possibility-disclosures just in case! lol!

I am sensitive to Big Brother.
    LOL!!! Me too!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I just found my recently acquired sample of LA VIOLETTE & would be more than happy to add it to the soliflores. Don't think I've seen it mentioned yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for having started this thread. I am a big, no huge fan of sample passes. Sniffers' contributions are a wonderful way to get some friends right here too. I will not be seeking participation this time as I have tried them all and the whole house is full of surprises, hits and misses on this skin.

LOL @ sensitivity to Big Brother. Great one!

You guys never fail to warm my callous heart.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cestrum nocturnum View Post
    What is your opinion on vials vs sprays? I haven't decanted yet, so I could still do a spray.
    I agree that vials go farther in sample passes. I have the little 1ml vials that hold 0.7ml when filled, so I will fill 3 of them and then you'll have 2 mls.

I'll get it out to you tomorrow morning.

Update: samples mailed today.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 23rd August 2012 at 11:11 PM.

CN, Thanks for the invitation but you've got enough sniffers for this Annick Goutal sample pass. But I'll be verry happy to join your discussion about those passed perfume.

It's going to be a lot of fun here, I'm sure of it!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I just found my recently acquired sample of LA VIOLETTE & would be more than happy to add it to the soliflores. Don't think I've seen it mentioned yet.
    La Violette sounds great! I was checking that out online recently too! The more the merrier! Thank you for offering to share! That is so sweet and generous!

I agree that vials go farther in sample passes. I have the little 1ml vials that hold 0.7ml when filled, so I will fill 3 of them and then you'll have 2 mls.

I'll get it out to you tomorrow morning.
    Oh, that is so generous of you! The Des Lys will surely be a highlight of the pass, given the rarity of it and great reviews it garners. Thank you so much for sharing this for the pass!!!!

CN, Thanks for the invitation but you've got enough sniffers for this Annick Goutal sample pass. But I'll be verry happy to join your discussion about those passed perfume.

It's going to be a lot of fun here, I'm sure of it!
    Aww, are you suuuuuure??? If I mail them on to you, I can replenish my contributions if they are low... no pressure to join, though! I'm "passed out" at the moment, myself! (to borrow Jujy's phrase!) lol... But I am so excited to be hosting this time!

- - - Updated - - -

Just an update: I have all of the samples ready to go, plus some very generous samples of Des Lys from 30 Roses and Sables from Cacio. I will contact the other generous Goutal donors and if they haven’t mailed anything out to me, I will see if they would like to mail to our first sniffer, Fleurine and we can get the pass started. So excited!!!!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi fellow sniffers! I would be glad to send the La Violette directly to Fleurine. The post office is on my list of stops tomorrow so the timing is perfect.

Fleurine, could you pm me your address so I can drop it in the mail??

Let's get this party started!!

CN, I'm excited with you! Can't wait to start reading your impressions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You guys, I need to back out of this. Work schedule too crazy...please start with the next person on the list. Thanks!

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

We'll miss you, Fleurine! Please feel free to sample some if you do have time, or rejoin later! The box should get there by tomorrow- it was mailed on Thursday, but maybe the holiday has caused some delay. I believe Genie Jeanie mailed her sample to you as well.

For everyone else, please don't forget to send your mailing info to the person ahead of you.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Yay! We've got it going. The La Violette was sent out on Wednesday so Fleurine should get some scents arriving soon.

Fleurine, my dear. I know a true perfumista can't possibly have boxes delivered without taking just a sniff! Please do come home from a long day & enjoy something new.

Well, I got a La Violette sample! Thank you Genie and Fleurine! I like sweet, I like violets(from what I know of them)..so..I like this somewhat. Fruity on top..like a Goutal-berry citrus with currant blend..then a strong, short-lived bitter green note, then quickly turns powdery..very powdery. Very woody on the dry down, which I like. I would say about 3-4 flowers, maybe? An amber-ish note in the base perhaps. I would say..violet, a little spicy rose & perhaps a very light jasmine...idk. Still sweet even as it dries down. Candy like sweetness is from iso methyl ionone I guess. Pretty simple scent...a soliflore scent as the name suggests. This violet is super powdery and candy sweet. Green note only lasts for a tiny bit of time. I guess violets and iris have things in common? Violet is sweeter and not as earthy? But both are green and sometimes powdery...and both are purple! LOL. This is really just a sweet, powdery, stem-y, woody violet. Not a sharp or cold floral but a sweet, welcoming violet. Wondering if I get musk on the base there. Thought I got a small waft of it...not sure. Super sweet. I kinda like this..as an every-once-in-a-while scent. When I very first smelled this..I dug the sweetness out of the vial and I thought..'oh maybe I could keep this one..I mean, that's why it was sent to me right? For my keeping?' LOL. hehe.

The sweetness is almost too much..but I can handle sweet just fine. Perhaps some may find this a bit overkill on the sweetness. Totally understandable. It is almost too much. There's a point where I am like..ok, I get it..it's sweet..can we move on a little? And it still stays super sweet.

The wood notes come in more..and I like that. I would say I got a waft of sandalwood. A nice scent..if you can do sweet. I wouldn't mind having some...but I'd only wear it once and while, like I said. Cause I could see myself getting over this scent quickly otherwise. Idk. Since this is so sweet..I think this can be pulled off in the colder months..in fact..I'd like to sniff this again later when colder. Has a Malle Lipstick Rose-y dry down a bit due to that violet & rose combo.

Thanks for sharing! All I got was this La Violette sample..I'll wait for the other samples before passing to keep it organized. Thanks again guys!
    Last edited by kalli; 8th September 2012 at 06:08 AM.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Great review, Kalli!!!! I haven't tried La Violette so I can't add much, but it sounds lovely. Thank you Genie Jeanie for the contribution! I just PM'd Fleurine to check on the box. (Alas, no tracking number; I had to have Bf mail it for me due to my schedule issues and he forgot to get delivery confirmation for the box.) Anyway, thank you again, Kalli, for the great description and comparisons!!! I almost feel safe enough to blind buy; sweet violet sounds yummy!

I didn't try it too, but Kalli, you described it very well! I could almost imagine the scent.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I love La Violette, partly for the spicy rose note in there, not very prominent. I don't get a lot of woods from this one. I agree that it is candy-sweet-- an usually I don't like sweet fragrances, but with La Violette, it is not too much. I've pared down my violet perfumes in the past year but this one stayed. Turin & Sanchez gave it 4 stars-- for once we agreed.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

***UPDATE***
    Last week, I emailed Fleurine to follow up on the box, and didn’t hear back. I thought perhaps she was just horribly busy or had mailed the box on to Kalli already. Today I got my answer from the USPS! I'm note sure exactly what has happened, but it seems that Fleurine probably did not get the box, because it arrived back in my mailbox this afternoon. The little box was totally abused and torn and was smeared with what looked like used engine grease or worse, and arrived in the standard USPS “Sorry; we mutilated your package- have a good day!” baggie. At least it was returned, but I am still really, really unhappy about this turn of events. I have never been so angry to receive a box of perfume in the mail!!!! The only good news is that all of the packing materials did their job, everything is unharmed inside, the oil/grease/filth did not ruin or contaminate anything. So I will just do a quick rebox and pop it in the mail to Kalli. Bf was kind enough to mail it for me last time, but I will mail it myself this time and it will certainly have delivery confirmation to track it. We’ve been having USPS issues of late (lots of things going to neighbors, weird/incorrect delivery info reported on tracked items, etc.) so let’s all cross our fingers that it has safer travels this time and Kalli gets it in a few days. I’m so sorry that this pass has had such an inauspicious start… I hope that everyone is still interested and can enjoy sniffing nonetheless.

This has really been one of those weeks. -____-

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

How frustrating, CN! It's a wonder the samples were still inside the torn box.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

How frustrating, CN! It's a wonder the samples were still inside the torn box.
    Yes, I suppose I should be pleased about that at least...but it is easier to be bitter right now. The box probably got caught somewhere in a machine or something. I tend to be a bit over-zealous with my use of packing tape and padding materials; I was thinking recently that I probably overdo it and just contribute to landfills with all of the tape-covered-everything, so I have been trying to cut back! In fact, this time I tried to be creative with the padding, to reduce the whole environmental impact thing, so I was very relieved to see things in good shape and unmolested. Another package recently arrived with an even more damaged box in a USPS bodybag, and the perfume had been opened and clearly *used!!!!* It was supposed to be a gift for my bf. The padding/packaging I used on the inside of my little box likely made the contents look like cheap and boring wedding favors. (which is a good thing, in this case!)

Oh, btw, to contrast the recent USPS horrors, you should have seen the *pristine* condition of the envelope that carried the Blackberry and Bay samples. It was unbent, no postage mark on the package, nothing. It looked as though it came directly from your desk to my mailbox!!!! They mock me.

Ok, sorry, this is now a USPS-complain-o-rama thread.

CN sorry to hear about the issues with USPS. What a nasty and unreliable they seem to be after this situation you described!

Hope Goutal-o-rama will be doing only better starting from now on!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cestrum nocturnum View Post
    Another package recently arrived with an even more damaged box in a USPS bodybag, and the perfume had been opened and clearly *used!!!!* It was supposed to be a gift for my bf.

Oh, btw, to contrast the recent USPS horrors, you should have seen the *pristine* condition of the envelope that carried the Blackberry and Bay samples. It was unbent, no postage mark on the package, nothing. It looked as though it came directly from your desk to my mailbox!!!! They mock me.

I'm glad my little package arrived unscathed-- how odd that the stamps weren't even franked!

But as to your apparently-used bottle, it's possible that it wasn't used at all but that evaporation occurred in transit. Was it sent by air? The air pressure in airplanes is lower than at ground level, and I have heard of people getting bottles whose contents had been sucked out. The fact that the box was damaged/open to the outside air pressure makes this seem likely. In any case, however the contents were lost, it seems to me that would be a good reason to file an insurance claim.

Wow, that is unfortunate about the package. My goodness. I was just about to post that I haven't received the package yet and wondered what was going on. But now I know. Sorry to hear!

- - - Updated - - -

So, I got the Goutal pass yesterday. Thanks CN.

Nuits d' Hadrien

Orange rind..bitter orange, perhaps neroli or orange blossom opens this up. Leans on masculine, patchouli. A fresh, zingy orange citrus..gets slightly sweeter, softer..vanilla? I get mostly a dark but fresh tangy orange with patchouli on the overhang. This is mostly orange..and something powdery. Vanilla could be making it powdery though. Lemon note I get. This could be worn by a man or woman. A lot of orange here. I get woody notes, sandalwood. Don't get a whole lot of florals though. Perhaps a discreet jasmine, not sure. Lemony and woody notes hang around for quite a while. So, opening..orange and orange rind with patch, vanilla makes an appearance through the middle notes. Orange turns to lemony-woody. Lemon note goes on forever. Lemony-herbal. Then sandalwood.

So, orange-y patch>vanilla peaking through>lemon-y woods.

Ok, so eventually I looked it up lol..basil is listed and I've got to say..the basil note is really strong in this. That's mainly what I get in the middle there. So, orange-y patch>vanilla peaks through>lemon and basil(strong)>sandalwood.

Basil has a nice scent to it but I wouldn't want to wear basil. A man could easily wear this. Says it's for women but this is clearly unisex. Definitely is masculine. I see this on a man more than a woman. Similarities with Polo Explorer came to mind. But far less masculine. This is more creamy too. I think men who like perhaps Edition Blanche may like this scent(if they also like strong herbal) if a man decided to wear it. Though, it's clearly more focused on orange at first but that strong lemon note makes an appearance before too long.

Liked the orange and patch but became too lemony basil forever. Not enthused.

Sables: first impression, Brut with nuts. LOL.

Yep..so sampling on paper..Brut with nuts. And something like praline(must be the immortelle)..sweet candied nuts/praline and Brut LOL. I can barely stand to sniff it. LOL. Got to be a men's scent? Herbal like Brut. Powdery. Very strong scent. A couple spritzes will last you forever. Light hand on this one. Can I leave it at that?

Can you tell I am not into AG that much so far? LOL

La Mimose: Yellow bright, almost lemon(mimose smells nearly lemony to me-that bright yellowness to it) & musk. Musk note is strong in this one. *sigh* I don't even want to review it. lol. Just mimose, peach and musk. I like the peach note as it's pretty strong. But it's a deep, yellow peach not entirely sweet to me. Slightly underripe peach. But a fuzzy peach with the fuzzy peach skin..I like that. A green note. *sigh*. Woody and musky on the dry down. Peach note is pretty alright..but a pass for me.

None of these I liked so far except the opening to Nuits...and a tiny bit of that nice, big peach note in Mimose. But too yellow of a peach for me..though, still nice. I'd want sweeter peach & no musk or greens. No musky peaches for me please.

Need to take a nose break. So, going to make the rest pretty short. I know, not in the spirit of sniffs but I've been on a sniffa-palooza for a while now and my nose is really needing a break. So..here a goes nothin:

Very short impressions on each of the rest:

Songes- sweet jasmine, perhaps honeysuckle and alas.. gardenia..strong jasmine...and it's mostly jasmine..I like that but gardenia kills it. Pass. Smells like 60% jasmine 30% gardenia..10% honeysuckle or other. Lol, I know.

Passion- Patch I get and herbal. Lavender? Super masculine. Smells like strong, aftershave splash. Pass.

Eau De Camille..Grassy, like a grassy field..herbal with a wood spice. Really fresh. If you are craving grass/greens to the point where you want to nibble on some tree branches..this is for you. Woody..kinda like the realistic grass/woody. But a pass for me. But there are things I like about it..fresh and super realistic greens. But don't think I'd get a bottle.

Folavril- Refreshing floral, white, peach? Or something similar to a peach. Like the fruity+ jasmine. Smells a bit musky. Other than that.. kinda like it. A mix of florals including rose. Rose is pretty strong and noticeable..I get musk and greens...so pass on this. I gotta admit though..this would really be a good one in super high heat. It would be like an oasis in the heat. I like that aspect. But the notes don't do it for me. Almost but something goes awry. Not to mention the water-y note aspect to this. Awry.

Eau d' Hadrien
    ..like cutting open a fresh lemon. Like literally pure lemon juice on the skin. With the seeds and all. I like lemon but not that strong..pass.

Un Matin d' Orange.
    .nice on the orange but a strong, creamy gardenia note.. Pass.

Gardenia Passion- do I have to? *sigh* I will leave this sealed for the next sniffer. Gard + Tuberose? Someone else can enjoy it. lol

Eau d' Sud- Lemon, earthy, herbal..masculine. A men's scent? Or uni. Really a bright verbena...but too herbal..too overly citrus-y lemon-y. Definitely a better verbena than a DKNY verbena. lol. I do like the earthy notes to this and a bit of the verbena..but pass.

Heure Exquise- ahh, well this is getting to be more up my alley! I was going to say violets but it got pretty earthy..iris and rose? Very nice floral. The rose joins in nicely with the iris. Strong on the florals. A slight make-up note. Powdery. With woody vanilla notes..not bad. Ok..then I get something ash-y..what is that about? Like cigarette ash? A quick ash note. Weird. My neighbor is a smoke-aholic..perhaps she lit up. LOL. I think it's just super powdery. Haha..you're an SA trying to sell a powdery/dusty fume and instead say ash-y. lol..wouldn't sell a lot of bottles there. I would say this is close but no cigar for me. So close. Aaah, I might wear this every once in a long while. Idk. I would say a must sniff for Whitefluffy.

Des Lys
    ..like a soliflore..of something. LOL. Not good at guessing florals sometimes. It's aquatic to my nose. Lotus? Magnolia? Green though. Not really up my alley. Oh my gosh..Lys..that is lily in French. LOL. Brain smog. lol. My Quebecois husband would be shaking his head at me. The fleur de lys is the main part of the Quebec flag. LOL. I am not too familiar with sniffing lilies or lotv for that matter..so, that's why I was amiss. Not sure if I am a fan of strong lily scents. I like a fresh, real lily..but have yet to find a lily scent I like thus far. This is a really green take on the lily. Really a clean, refreshing green lily. Would be great in the heat.

So..I kinda liked one-"Heure" besides the Le Violette. I wanted to like Songes cause of that jasmine..but darn on the gardenia! But Violette is the clear winner for me out of these. I have to say that these would be supreme scents in high heat. Like an oasis, as I stated earlier. I think if I were hot and sweaty and needed something refreshing..not necessarily "perfume-y" if that makes sense..I may want to head right over to an AG. But I probably wouldn't though...LOL. I'd grab an iced tea. Some AG scents are like taking a cool drink of water or having an iced tea in the heat though. I'll stick with a real iced tea though. I was hopeful I may like more AG scents after the Violette. But oh well, at least there was hope. LOL. Out of all the AG scents I've smelled thus far..I like Le Violette and Eau De Charlotte.

Mimi would probably like some of the ones with gardenia.

That's that...that's all that was included in the pass I see. The little paper says there's more? But that's all there is. Will try to ship to RHM before too long.
    Last edited by kalli; 20th September 2012 at 09:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, my goodness, Kalli! *LOL*!!!! That was very entertaining read, thank you! You were right about Heure Exquise, it is right up my alley and I did smell it before. I do like it a lot, but not sure I will buy a bottle as it is too reminiscent of Chanel N 19 and I am not a big fan of having fragrances that smell somewhat like each other. I get bored pretty easily...;D

Lol..just wanted to get er done. Lol. Maybe I should smell No. 19 again...been a while and I forgot what it smells like.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello again! I'm glad this is finally alive!

CN sorry to hear about the issues with USPS. What a nasty and unreliable they seem to be after this situation you described!
    Well, I hate to sound like an ingrate, as I am usually thankful that the USPS handles so much volume and does fairly well with it all, but in the past few months it seems like it has gotten worse and worse. I hope it is a transitory issue. I will be complaining yet again, as I’ve had a new batch of problems.

... it's possible that it wasn't used at all but that evaporation occurred in transit... In any case, however the contents were lost, it seems to me that would be a good reason to file an insurance claim.
    I have had things leak/evaporate, but I doubt that was the case here. The perfume box had a cellophane wrapper that was also opened sneakily at the bottom and the box flaps were not closed squarely! I realize it is all circumstantial evidence, but the USPS was certainly responsible for the package damage. I did get a new bottle and the company I ordered from took care of the claim, but the first bottle was not exactly gift worthy and it was still an extra, unwanted hassle.

Eau De Camille..Grassy, like a grassy field..herbal with a wood spice. Really fresh. If you are craving grass/greens to the point where you want to nibble on some tree branches..this is for you. Woody..kinda like the realistic grass/woody. But a pass for me. But there are things I like about it..fresh and super realistic greens. But don't think I'd get a bottle.

Un Matin d' Orange.
    .nice on the orange but a strong, creamy gardenia note.. Pass.

Songes- sweet jasmine, perhaps honeysuckle and alas.. gardenia..strong jasmine...and it's mostly jasmine..I like that but gardenia kills it. Pass. Smells like 60% jasmine 30% gardenia..10% honeysuckle or other. Lol, I know.

Heure Exquise- ahh, well this is getting to be more up my alley! I was going to say violets but it got pretty earthy..iris and rose? Very nice floral. The rose joins in nicely with the iris. Strong on the florals. A slight make-up note. Powdery. With woody vanilla notes..not bad. Ok..then I get something ash-y... I would say a must sniff for Whitefluffy.

That's that...that's all that was included in the pass I see. The little paper says there's more? But that's all there is.

kalli: YAY!!!! I am *soooooooooo* glad that you got the box! The tracking was not showing up in the system until the day it was delivered to you. I just about had a heart attack when I checked and saw no trace of it in the system for days. I can’t tell you how relieved I am that it got to you safely! (I didn’t fully trust the “delivered” status, either!)

It sounds like everything is there; the inventory sheet I included also reflects the contributions from others. As you recall, we lost a sniffer and I should have crossed off what she had mentioned adding to the samples. Sorry for any confusion- I was rushing and just shoved everything into a new box to resend it! Please draw a line through those, if it is not too much trouble.

I think you get the award for quickest sniffing!!! Lol! Good job! And your reviews are such a good mix of perfume notes and humor! Thank you for starting this off for us (finally!!!) with a running start!

Eau de Camille reminds me of a grassy expanse too! In my notes I wrote: “The scented air wafting over a flower and herb garden bordering a wide, green lawn.”

Un Matin d’Orage actually means “a morning storm” in English. I recall at first glance, I misread it too and my brain popped an “n” in there and made it A Morning of Orange(juice? Lol!) Anyway, FWIW, lemon does show up in the notes online, although my skin doesn’t bring out citrus from it—orange sounds really nice though. Sorry about the gardenia!

Songes—awww, so sorry again! I thought this could be a delicate white flower fragrance that even white flower haters might like! Guess not!

Heure Exquise is definitely in the “No. 19 and friends” clique! Very perceptive notes and super clever to recommend that it might be something Whitefluffy would like!

I always enjoy your reviews! Thank you so much for being a good sport even though a lot of these didn’t appeal to you!

Lol..I can't read...funny that I thought I smelled orange after misreading it. I didn't spend much time on it..got some citrus and then a big gardenia note..I tend to sign off quickly if I smell gardenia. Like 'ok, it's all about gardenia, next'. I didn't even test it out on paper, I know..lol. Confession. lol. At least I don't remember if I did. But don't think so. I think I smelled it on a card a few weeks ago as I was sent a sample. Maybe a quick sniff on a card if anything and signed off. I was thinking to add it to the pass but saw that it was already listed as one of the samples. Maybe if I would have actually taken the time to really sniff it out..I may have gotten lemon, not orange. Lol. I may have to resniff. Lol, I don't read so good. *dunce cap* Basically, I got a lot of gardenia..a creamy gard..had to pass. At least I saved more for the other sniffers, eh?. I do like white flowers..jasmine flowers. LOL. That's about it? I think. Idk.
    Last edited by kalli; 21st September 2012 at 04:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, CN, it seems like Kalli figured me out, lol. I don't know if I should be scared.... And Kalli I had no idea, but we do have something in common - I can't stand the gardenia either, it makes me sick!

But I am reeeaaalyyyy looking forward to Eau de Camille, sounds like exactly my cup of tea. Grassy expanse? Give me some to roll around in, !

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol..I can't read...funny that I thought I smelled orange after misreading it. I didn't spend much time on it..got some citrus and then a big gardenia note..I tend to sign off quickly if I smell gardenia. Like 'ok, it's all about gardenia, next'. I didn't even test it out on paper, I know..lol. Confession. lol. At least I don't remember if I did. But don't think so. I think I smelled it on a card a few weeks ago as I was sent a sample. Maybe a quick sniff on a card if anything and signed off. Maybe if I would have actually taken the time to really sniff it out..I may have gotten lemon, not orange. Lol. I may have to resniff. Lol, I don't read so good. *dunce cap* Basically, I got a lot of gardenia..a creamy gard..had to pass. At least I saved more for the other sniffers, eh?. I do like white flowers..jasmine flowers. LOL. That's about it? I think. Idk.
    No, no... don't feel silly! It just shows how efficient and quick your brain is! Like that trick where they have two typed lines and the last word of the first line is "the" and the next word on the following line is also "the," (a sentence with "the the" separated at the line break) and most readers completely filter out the extra "the." So, adding an "n" for an English speaker is likely your brain "fixing" the error and moving on. Yay for brains! lol Anyway, orange and lemon can be really similar too, especially in a quickie sniff, or maybe when the lemon is sweetened with something else. I don't even recall smelling citrus... so don't fret on that either! You did a great job!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefluffy View Post
    Yes, CN, it seems like Kalli figured me out, lol. I don't know if I should be scared....
    LOL!!! I think you're safe! Unless Kalli has me fooled by always being so sweet and funny! (da duh duuuunnnnnnn... <- spooky music)

My dark side would be eating too much dark chocolate..why did Almond Joy HAVE to come out with a dark version? And don't get me started on imports. lol. There is a dark chocolate version of everything now..I can't keep up.

Lol..I didn't know WF didn't like gardenia. And here I was thinking I was the only one. Ya, I get the same thing with gard..I smelled a bottle of gard perfume when I was younger...I never forgot it, it was that bad to me. Granted..they were all cheapo soliflores but I remember the gard... I know my thoughts with the sample pass here were on the generic side perhaps..I just finally got sampled out! And I generally don't like too much greens in my scents I notice. With green notes..I mainly like peony and violet. And some of these were just too overly citrus-y for me.

I do really have some appreciation for these scents though. I mean I usually don't like grassy at all from what I've smelled but the Eau de Camille was pretty well done. I decided to re-sniff that one. There is something a little pine-y on the opening which I really like. The flowers are warm and soapy? A little creamy? Which I kinda didn't like somewhat but tones down after a bit. A flower I don't have too much familiarity with. Smells familiar though. Kind of just one flower mainly in the middle there...then it fades out..I can't smell too strong of base notes with this. Mainly..it's greens then a big(white?) flower and fades. Scent is fleeting on my skin..the base notes are pretty dry..light woody. Didn't I say I was done? Sorry, I wanted to give that one another shot. That pine-y note..whatever it is in the beginning, I dig that. The main note in the middle I think I would prefer as an accent note, not as a main note. I still probably wouldn't get a fb of it though.

I noticed that the tag on the Matin vial does say orange, but even on the Annick Goutal manufactured sample I read it as orange. Even though there's no 'n' in there. So easy to wanna put that 'n' in there! Boggles the mind! lol. I sharpied out the 'n'.

Eau de Sud..another one which had things I like about it..maybe if just a little less on the citrus. Songes is pretty..but that gardenia..too distracting for me. And sniffing Folavril just out of the vial..I notice I get a bigger rose then before. And one last sniff of the Heure..it's like baby powder with rose. Pretty. Very pretty. The rose gets spicier and then sweet and balmy notes follow. Ok..I am done! I just wanted to give some another shot. Nothing really changed though..lol..only liked the Huere and the Violette.

- - - Updated - - -

Goutals went out today..on their way to RHM.
    Last edited by kalli; 21st September 2012 at 07:06 PM.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I noticed that the tag on the Matin vial does say orange, but even on the Annick Goutal manufactured sample I read it as orange. Even though there's no 'n' in there. So easy to wanna put that 'n' in there! Boggles the mind! lol. I sharpied out the 'n'.

Oh no! I wonder if it was autocorrected—and by the computer this time! Hmmm, sorry about that! I’m actually not surprised I missed the typo, given how bad my vision is! It had to be the tiniest print to fit on the vial. Just don’t tell my French teacher; she would still be appalled! Lol!!!

No worries, LOL..I would have put orange for sure! Totally. And my French speaking hubs would be like, 'What is that about?'. I thought it was orange beforehand, so, lol. Haha, my hubs tells me that a lot of French on labels out there in general..aren't even really French or really bad French. Interesting. He's always like..'umm, that's not French.' Haha. He is Quebecois but they read and write proper French. But anyone that knows me knows I don't care about English grammar/vocabulary. There is one in the family. I've asked..''What does that mean?'. She's said, 'Either you know it or you don't' or 'I can't put it in layman's terms for you, there's just no other word, you know it or don't.' Oh brother! LOL.

But perfume? You don't know how many times I've used a translator whether web or my hubs to figure out what in the world something is called. Frustrating, especially if it's a long name..I am just like..man, I've no idea what this perfume is even about! Lol.
    Last edited by kalli; 23rd September 2012 at 01:07 AM.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi fellow sniffers!!

Sorry I've been out of the loop here but life has been submerged in dealing with the iphone 5 release. Work, work & more of the same. Coming up for air now! (and NO, I can't help anyone get one) Sorry for the rant....

I would reply with quotes but my reply would be a mile long at this point!

Kali, you've got me rolling on the floor! I hope I can give an unbiased review of the pass, but my taste seems to run so parallel to yours! Tuberose & gardenia... for me & I'll pick those notes out in a heartbeat. Kind of kills a scent for me. But when the pass comes to me I will do my best to ignore the thread & give each frag my all.

Just wondering happened to the "Eau de Charlotte". I thought it was included in the pass but I don't see a mention of it in Kali's review. I can add it to the pass & send Kali a sample too if needed.

queen of the universe
    Post Thanks / Like

Just lurking and enjoying. Is anyone ever neutral re: gardenia? I love the stuff, cheap, expensive, doesn't matter.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    Just lurking and enjoying. Is anyone ever neutral re: gardenia? I love the stuff, cheap, expensive, doesn't matter.
    I'm probably jumping the gun here, as I associate gardenia with tuberose & I very well may be incorrect in doing so. Newbie syndrome maybe!

I do have to say that the smell of the real gardenia flower has very special & endearing meanings to me. Maybe it just doesn't work well on my skin. Or maybe I just have not given it a proper chance. I'm always open jugy54, How can I give it a proper chance?

Jujy..you gotta try Hothouse Flower by Ineke then..well done gardenia. Even if I don't like them.

Eau de Charlotte wasn't included in the pass..I say the more samples the merrier. I was kind of biased with the Goutals, maybe not the best way to go around it, idk. But it is what it is. Or it was what is was. lol. I remember sniffing Eau De C...it reminded me of Covet by SJP just a smidge but less damp, forest notes. Or no damp forest notes I should say..I think. Don't remember entirely. Also, lighter and less masculine.
    Last edited by kalli; 23rd September 2012 at 03:04 AM.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll send you a sample Kalli & add to the pass too. I think this might be one you kind of like, even if it's not a love. To me it's sort of jammy with a definite chocolate note in there too. ( you'll like it better than the Fracas - promise )

I already know I like it as I have tried it..so no need to send me one. I just can't remember how similar it was to Covet. I think the chocolate and yellow/green notes combo is what it was. But thank you so very much. And yes..I like it more than Fracas! LOL.

La Violette made it to my wish list. I miss that sample already..
    Last edited by kalli; 23rd September 2012 at 03:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about jumping in, but I did find a gardenia that I liked (unbelievably so) - Ophelia by Heeley. Not the obnoxious-makes-you-sick kind, but the green-fresh-pretty-reserved-kind. The only Gardenia I could ever consider in my wardrobe.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, goody....they are on the way to meeeeeee!

I'll let you all know when they get here.

I'm so excited to sniff the ones I don't know.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    Oh, goody....they are on the way to meeeeeee!

I'll let you all know when they get here.

I'm so excited to sniff the ones I don't know.
    PM me your address & I'll send the Eau de Charlotte along!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Genie, I just sent you a pm.

The sweet smelling package was in my mailbox today. I've unpacked it and I have all of the contents here on my countertop. My brother says I look like I am conducting a science experiment.

I will start testing and record my thoughts.

Sooooo excited!

Just to let you know I was lame and the Folavril didn't make it into the box but was shipped to RHM today. Sorry guys.