Code of Conduct

Default Guerlain Apres L'Onde

.......Hard to find in these days, the greatest fragrance of Guerlain. Any suggestion in how to recreate something similar to this Big Violet parfum?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Guerlain Apres L'Onde

Alas, thanks to IFRA, Apres l'Ondee has been reformulated. I have not smelled the reformulation, Luca Turin claims it is now more irisy. Don't know if the violet is still there.

So, in the current IFRA regime, I really don't know how one could recreate it, other of course than checking on ebay and paying top dollars.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

High quality Iris and the ionones for violets will be a start but you will need to find a replacement for the heliotrope. Good luck!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

It is certainly possible to create an IFRA compliant violet scent - I have one called Deep Purple in my own Spring Flowers range - ionones are readily available: you will need alpha and beta ionone, isoraldien (or iralia) plus methyl ionone alpha and perhaps something like undecavertol.

For the iris you can use either a good quality orris butter or you could use alpha-irone, which is lovely too but both of these are expensive.

Heliotropine isn't restricted by IFRA, but you do need a license to buy it in most countries due to it's use a precursor to MDMA. An alternative that I use is veratraldehyde, which is unrestricted and easier to buy.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting thanks Chris, I guess Safrole is restricted for the same reason?

Looking around the notes for Apres L'Onde are bergamot, neroli, aniseed, hawthorn, violet, heliotrope, iris and musk. It is a wonderful perfume. If someone makes a decent scent inspired by it I would buy a bottle!

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what's the restricted ingredient in the violet note? I always thought violet=ionones.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ariodant View Post
    I wonder what's the restricted ingredient in the violet note? I always thought violet=ionones.
    Violet does indeed mean ionones and they are restricted by IFRA (there is a specification standard).

There is also a restricted standard for methyl ionone but as the limit for alcoholic fragrances is over 30% it's far more than I can ever imagine wanting to use anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
    Interesting thanks Chris, I guess Safrole is restricted for the same reason?

Looking around the notes for Apres L'Onde are bergamot, neroli, aniseed, hawthorn, violet, heliotrope, iris and musk. It is a wonderful perfume. If someone makes a decent scent inspired by it I would buy a bottle!
    I would expect that safrole would be restricted in most countries too, yes, but as it is prohibited by IFRA altogether I've never attempted to buy any so I don't actually know.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mr Bartlett, you are a hero. (Did you see that I met your mum on Twitter?)
    Perfumer & writer
    www.4160Tuesdays.com
    "the world of perfume needs shaking up, and youíre the gal to do it" Jo Fairley

So the notes are: bergamot, neroli, aniseed, hawthorn, violet, heliotrope, iris and musk
    Why not start simple like this:
    12 Bergamot EO
    5 Linalyl acetate
    5 alpha Terpineol
    1 Neroli EO
    2 Aurantiol
    5 Anise EO
    1 Ylang ylang III EO
    8 Anisaldehyde
    10 Methyl ionone
    2 alpha Ionone
    2 Veratraldehyde*
    8 Benzoin resinoid*
    1 Vanillin*
    3 Benzyl salicylate*
    1 Alpha Irone
    5 Celestolide
    5 Ethylene brassylate
    2 Musk keton

Yes, heliotropin would be nice, but is a bit unpractical, for the reason Chris mentioned. I used the materials with an * to get an alike result.

Safrole is also carcinogenic, so another reason why it is harder to get and restricted in its use.

Btw: wrote the formulation down from my mind without mixing and testing, so please asume as a first thought.

Post Thanks / Like

PA sells a heliotropin replacer, but I have no experience with it.

I got both, the replacer is very similar to the real heliotropine. The only thing to mention is that the replacer has a light brown colour.
    Regards