Code of Conduct

Default Anything Similar to Slumberhouse Rume

Has anyone that's tried Slumberhouse Rume encountered anything similar to this unique fragrance?

- - - Updated - - -

For those of you that don't know Rume, here's the description from Indiescents:

Inspired by a room - the explorer's hideaway. A burgundy/silver cologne with animalic pulse paired alongside a warm hush of clay, cola, filbert and hay. Rume is an idea, communicated through fragrance, of the desire to constantly seek out, experience and explore. An idea that contentedness is a poison and regret is the aftermath.

Notes:
    Bay, Myrrh, Labdanum, Praline

Default Re: Anything Similar to Slumberhouse Rume

I have Rume, and I can't recall anything else quite like it. I think SL Fille en Aiguilles smells somewhat similar (sweet resinous pine). I'm not familiar with myrrh scents, but I imagine there's one out there that might be close.

For some reason, smelling Rume instantly reminds me of Christmas and winter, but in a very different way than something like Burberry London (which also reminds me of the holidays). I might have to take my bottle with me if I go back home for Christmas.

By the way, I love that ad copy for Rume: "...the desire to constantly seek out, experience and explore. An idea that contentedness is a poison and regret is the aftermath."

Does it smell like Indiana Jones?

Honestly, I can equate this scent to both a Christmas Tree and Winter as well. There was a store my Mom would bring me too around xmas time, always smelled like potpourri (the real spicy manly kind if there is such a thing,) that's what I get when I smell Rume. Rume is probably one of the most beautifully unique scents I've encountered. Love the ad copy too, as much as I like Josh's work.

@psychoskip: I'd actually figure Indiana Jones to be Kouros guy myself jk jk. No, honestly Rume is insanely unique. It's extremely potent, with a sweet and very spicy resin vibe. You have to get a sample of the Slumberhouse line, it's no joke. The Lutens of North America.

Maybe not Indiana Jones the man (that would be something with worn leather, like vintage Bel Ami or something more musky, like Absolue pour le Soir), but Rume is perhaps the hidden hideaway where Indy keeps the treasures and artifacts from his adventures.

I actually think of the old explorer Charles Muntz from the Pixar movie Up - it might smell like his den, with dark paneled walls and lush, deep red carpeting. Something about Rume speaks of age and times past.

Also, +1 on Rume's potency. It lasts for 15+ hours on my skin. I don't know if it's technically EDP or extrait, but it wears like extrait.

I believe it's EDP using absolutes. I had a shirt in my hamper I pulled out while doing wash, gave it a sniff. The shirt still smelled as if I had sprayed it that day. This was about three days later, I was stunned.

Rume is the Sova's naughty cousin. Both are sort of "country rustic fragrances" of the farm (i mean rustic in the effect but extremely sophisticated in the cause) and either introduce a spicy sort of vaguely bitter kind of accord but where Sova is more introverted, opaque and stressed over an hay-bitter tobacco-piquant spices accord finally tamed by barely mild balsams, Rume is sweeter, less assertive, less dry/stark, more resinous and more sweetly pungent, being centered over a bay leaves/cloves accord with a following burnt sugar dominant sticky temperament produced by the interaction between the huge amount of cloves and the resinous balsams/labdanum (roasted) chord. Where the bitter vibe in Sova is centered over a licorice accord here in Rume the ostensibly similar effect is bitter/sweet and sugary/smokey with all those honeyed cloves blended with balsams. Sova is by soon starker and drier, being all about hay, tobacco and piquant spices finally tamed down by balsams and honey but hardly sweetened and "coloured" while Rume is more aromatic and spicy in a sort of caramellous sweety way. Rume is delicious and evokes some spicy jammy cakes filled with honeyed fruits, dusty sugar and cloves/cinnamon. Another "ambiental" issue from an interesting niche brand able to conjure up in my mind far memories about a rural childhood spent in the middle of the nature in a full contact with animals, natural fruits, spicy meals, obscure barns, haystacks and workers of the land.
    PS: Fille en Aiguilles Lutens is vaguely similar but Rume is superior.

Personally would take Fille en Aiguilles over the Slumberhouse scent any day.

I don't really get the FeA comparison though I've never smelled it, the notes are different. Rume for me is all about the candied fruits and fall spice combination. It vaguely smells like Coca Cola on the top until it dries in like 30-45 minutes, then it takes a different turn. I really like it, and it would be a great fall scent for 2013.

As to your question, nothing really smells like it. Just buy the real thing and help out one guy in his home in Oregon trying to follow his dream and not some multi-national company.

I don't get much FeA; rather, Norne from the same house fits that bill. Rume is probably my favorite bottle from the house so far.

As a kid I had my fair share of a dimestore candy called Bottlecaps. Rume's cola aspect is very prominent to me and brings back memories of the root beer flavored bottlecaps candy.

The spices come out as a good non-floral potpourri and reminds me of some of the novelty/specialty shops I frequent that sell incense amidst the wind chimes, buddha figurines, bonzai trees, etc. Not a head-shop, but a rather enthusiastic step in that direction I'd say.

I don't know of any fragrance that carries the same vibe as Rume. It's rather unique.

There is no doubt Rume is almost unique in the general olfactory panorama and when i write "vaguely similar" i'm not talking about identity or strong similarity for sure. Fille en Aiguilles introduces a burnt sugar effect (coming from a particular treatment of the spices combined with resinous elements) which is in a different and more powerful way developed also in Rume and on this sphere i smell some points in common. Rume is far more spicy, carnal, resinous (myrrh-labdanum) and mysterious than the Lutens one. FenA and Rume either introduce a bay leaves-spices accord but while in the Lutens one the scale leans on the side of the bay, dry fruits, faint incense and woodsy elements in Rume it leans over a far more powerful cinnamon-cloves-piquant spices-tobacco-resinous elements accord.
    Last edited by Darvant; 8th February 2013 at 06:03 PM.

Rume is my favorite in the house as well. The spice combined with the sweet resin brings me back to Christmas as a kid. Weird how a truly powerful and artistic fragrance will do that.

I get "similarities" with both Serge Noir and Fille En Aiguilles but more as an overall vibe than something objectively similar.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I agree with you Alfa.

just tried it and after wracking my brain what it reminds me of i finally figured out that imaginary author's the cobra and the canary is definitely related (in ways FEA and SN are not). rume is better (when will it be available again???) -- but meanwhile, cobra and canary can fill in.