Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Visiting San Francisco for the first time in almost 20 years!

I will be in San Francisco next month for a few days only. I may have just one afternoon to explore...and will not be doing the usual tourist stuff. Did that long ago and even though I have not visited in years I have a great feeling for the layout of the city. My only transportation will be busses, subways and BART. I am hoping to find places that carry fragrances that I can not find where I live. Such as By Killian, Fredric Malle, Le Labo etc. and many others too numerous to list. You know...exclusive and niche scents. Hoping to get some ideas of where to go and what each destination offers. Might be nice to meet up with some basenoters too if time allows. Between visiting breweries, tattoo shops and stores looking for elusive fragrances I may wish that I had more time! Any help from San Fraciscas is more than appreciated... San Francisco is a city that I truly love and not visiting for so long is such a shame.

Also, are there any Middle Eastern stores where I might sample Middle Eastern scents?

Please don't move this thread...it will get buried and I really want some help!)
    Last edited by Akahina; 22nd August 2012 at 07:39 AM.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Visiting San Francisco for the first time in almost 20 years!

You will have access to a huge choice of fragrances if you go to Union Square. Some places to visit:
    Barney's
    Saks
    Neiman-Marcus
    Jacqueline Perfumes
    Chanel
    Diptyque
    Nordstrom [in San Francisco Center, a few blocks off Union Square]

Personally, I would go to Barney's first, then Neiman's, then Jacqueline, then Chanel, then Diptyque, then Saks. That's the
    path of least distance to hit them all. They are all very close together.

Barney's is the biggest new addition to the San Francisco fragrance retailing scene in many years. They stock the
    full range of Editions de Parfums du Frederic Malle. Some super quality scents in that line.

There is also Gump's, which is a high-end department store at Union Square. They stock some unusual fragrances, but
    I think it's someplace to visit only if you have extra time.

Jacqueline is a small fragrance shop that is well stocked with quality stuff. I find the old French gentleman who runs it
    to be curmudgeonly, but some find him charming. Regardless, he stocks stuff worth smelling.

The main attraction of the Chanel boutique is the chance to sample fragrances from their L'Exlusifs collection. Some really
    fine stuff in that collection. Sadly, Chanel Pour Monsieur (1955) is not sold even here, though it's available in Europe pretty
    readily.

Enjoy the trip. Put a short leash on your wallet.

Tim

- - - Updated - - -

Saks carries the full line of By Killian.

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you show your Oregon ID to get around that redonkulous California sales tax.

Post Thanks / Like

Jacquelines is a very interesting shop chock full of interesting fragrances. Andre, the owner, is a lovely guy once you win him over. Old fashioned politeness and courtesy are all he seemingly asks for in return for interesting stories and perfumery knowledge.

Post Thanks / Like

Barney's stocks the Le Labo line, so between Saks and Barney's all your stated interests are met,
    except for Middle Eastern scents, per se.

I agree that Jacqueline is worth the visit. I think Andre wants to be sure you are a serious shopper/buyer and not just a sampler. At any rate, enjoy the shopping!

Post Thanks / Like

Barney's and Saks are the places to start. You should find most of the lines you're looking for there. If you type "perfume shopping guide for San Francisco" into Google you can find a walking guide for perfume shoppig, which is really quite useful.

Post Thanks / Like

This has been very helpful and I thank you. As for the lines I am looking for I'm not sure what I am looking for! There are so many I have not tried I want to find places that carry lines not available in Portland.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.